Advertisement

post #362 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

1) All the HD audio codecs are now lossless, including Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HS/MA, and LPCM

2) TMT is superior to the bloated PDVD in every way.

1) You are right DD TrueHD is lossless but LPCM is not HD codec

2) You are wrong. You could turn off some processes from Windows start if it bothers you. In fact I see Arcsoft as a bloated software. Most of all Cyberlink's PowerDVD is the sofware that has been on the market one year longer than any other BD player. Unlike other they surely had more time to work on a lot of issues and they did.

I used to complain on Cyberlink they are ruthless regarding the price scheme, but that doesn't change a fact they've got the best HD picture quality (DVD is best with Corel).

One more thing you should know, if Cyberlink want to stay on top, they will make PowerDVD co-operate with Xonar HDAV1.3 within 2 months.
They said so and I bet on it.
post #363 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

TMT just got a big boost because PowerDVD no longer supports playing .iso files! This Xonar card looks like it will be the ONLY choice!
post #364 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benus View Post

One more thing you should know, if Cyberlink want to stay on top, they will make PowerDVD co-operate with Xonar HDAV1.3 within 2 months.

I hope so. But since Xonar come with special TMT build, I care less now.
post #365 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Does this version of TMT use exclusive mode?

I was going to ask about this but was waiting for people to get their cards. If this new version of tmt does support exclusive mode and could be made to work with any mlpcm card then there would be no need for xonar except for bitstreaming.
post #366 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

1) You are right DD TrueHD is lossless but LPCM is not HD codec....

Not sure what you mean by LPCM isn't HD but if it's from the same master and at the same bit depth/sampling rate as a TrueHD/DTS-MA encode then they are all the same (HD if applicable) sound quality codecs.
post #367 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

TMT just got a big boost because PowerDVD no longer supports playing .iso files! This Xonar card looks like it will be the ONLY choice!

A physical BD/DVD is an ISO. You just need to configure your ISO mounting properly. DT has been getting worse. Try VCD.

TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #368 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Well it apparently also no longer supports playing Blu-Ray discs as well, so this may be a bug as opposed to an actual feature removal. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

I think this pretty much covers everything.All went fine except for one error.This time the card failed to pass audio without the video stream.I guess it was the new audio driver that caused the error, still investigating.....

I assume that passing audio through the analogue outputs doesn't require having your video stream going through the card as well. There's no reason it should, but everything HD has all been such a cluster f*** that it's hard not to wonder what other nonsensical things might occur.
post #369 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2) You are wrong. You could turn off some processes from Windows start if it bothers you. In fact I see Arcsoft as a bloated software. Most of all Cyberlink's PowerDVD is the sofware that has been on the market one year longer than any other BD player. Unlike other they surely had more time to work on a lot of issues and they did.

I used to complain on Cyberlink they are ruthless regarding the price scheme, but that doesn't change a fact they've got the best HD picture quality (DVD is best with Corel).

1) LPCM is an HD codec. It's digital, it's HD, it's sound. Not sure what distinction you're drawing.

2) You can't turn off most of the bloat in PDVD. And I agree, they should be the best since they came out earlier. Sadly, they aren't. And without bitstream support, they will crumble.

Pricing doesn't matter much, both are bargains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #370 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

I can't get TMT to run on my G35, I just get a black screen when I try to load a folder structure.

If someone has a magic cure I sure would like to see it, otherwhise the ASUS isn't much use to me

Thanks,

Adam

Do a search of the G35 thread for TMT and japanese files. There are two .ax files you can replace to fix the problem.

The problem should not exist anymore, but sometimes it rears its ugly head for no reason.
post #371 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

1) LPCM is an HD codec. It's digital, it's HD, it's sound. Not sure what distinction you're drawing.

I think the nitpicking was with the word 'Codec' that implies you need to decode it, which you do not... but we all know what you meant.

Adam
post #372 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Do a search of the G35 thread for TMT and japanese files. There are two .ax files you can replace to fix the problem.

The problem should not exist anymore, but sometimes it rears its ugly head for no reason.

Hmmm I have a feeling I dl those two files months ago... were they for a hybrid version? I'll have to dig them out and see if I can get it working. I think I was about to insyall them when the latest version came out that suposedly 'worked'.

Thanks.

Adam
post #373 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A physical BD/DVD is an ISO. You just need to configure your ISO mounting properly. DT has been getting worse. Try VCD.

As mentioned VCD doesn't work either so it must be a bug... lol?
post #374 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm I have a feeling I dl those two files months ago... were they for a hybrid version? I'll have to dig them out and see if I can get it working. I think I was about to insyall them when the latest version came out that suposedly 'worked'.

Thanks.

Adam

You don't need to anymore, if you're fully patched. If you are fully patched (TMT), then you have some other problem.

!
post #375 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post

Well it apparently also no longer supports playing Blu-Ray discs as well, so this may be a bug as opposed to an actual feature removal. We shall see.

Well I guess that is actually worse! If they are releasing versions that DON'T work at all then I will probably just take my chances with the company that works "MOST" of the time.
post #376 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

You don't need to anymore, if you're fully patched. If you are fully patched (TMT), then you have some other problem.

AbMagFab is right, it is supposed to be fixed.

If they work for you, please open a ticket with ArcSoft Tech Support.
post #377 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

AbMagFab is right, it is supposed to be fixed.

If they work for you, please open a ticket with ArcSoft Tech Support.

Thanks, I will re-visit when I get home.

Adam
post #378 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This puppy is coming out tomorrow (atleast in Taiwan) surely someone here in the US should start listing it. I checked the usual - newegg/buy/fleabay etc not a blip.

If anyone sees anything on availability please post.
post #379 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, keep an eye out for the manuals. If anyone see them posted on any of the Asus sites (International ones too) post the link so we can get them asap.
post #380 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

The links are there, Global and China, but they've been returning "Server Busy" messages since going up--or 404 errors if you try directly through a browser like this:

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_HDAV1.3/e3867_Xonar_HDAV_UM_manual.zip
post #381 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

The links are there, Global and China, but they've been returning "Server Busy" messages since going up--or 404 errors if you try directly through a browser like this:

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_HDAV1.3/e3867_Xonar_HDAV_UM_manual.zip

That link has been up for weeks and it always gets 404. I am hoping that it will be live tonight or tomorrow for the launch on the 10th/11th.
post #382 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I think the nitpicking was with the word 'Codec' that implies you need to decode it, which you do not... but we all know what you meant.

Adam

Codec does mean that but you MUST encoded and decode an analog signal to LPCM so LPCM IS a Codec. It's just not a proprietary compressed Codec like TrueHD or DTS-MA but it IS a Codec.
post #383 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I meant. I am aware there is no loss or error in conversion and reconstruction, it is a code modulation but one cannot say it involves any codecs.

But William is right I should have said it's not compressed with any codecs.
post #384 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don't see a mention of HD DVD playback, did I miss it?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #385 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Please don't turn this thread into another PDVD vs TMT pissing match. Stay on topic.
post #386 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

I think this pretty much covers everything.All went fine except for one error.This time the card failed to pass audio without the video stream.I guess it was the new audio driver that caused the error, still investigating.....

If I understand your statement correctly, it was passing audio over HDMI without a video input before, but it's broken right now? Just wanted to make sure, as that's a definite deal breaker for me if its been removed.
post #387 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's exactly what I meant. I am aware there is no loss or error in conversion and reconstruction, it is a code modulation but one cannot say it involves any codecs.

But William is right I should have said it's not compressed with any codecs.

Actually, LPCM is compressed. It's just not as compressed as TrueHD and DTS-MA. There's no angle where you're right on this one.

LPCM is a codec, plain and simple. It's just not a proprietary one, and it's not that good in terms of lossless compression (it takes up a lot of unnecessary space). But it's a codec, by every defition of the word.

!
post #388 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Hi Guys.

I'm not sure when I do get my card (non-daughter card version) I'll be able to add anything to all the great info myAV has provided us, but I currently have one on order (no exact dates) with one of the online stores I regularly use here in Australia. Another online store here has "Mid September" listed for availability.

I'll be connecting it to my Denon 3808 and my HTPC runs XP. Until now I've been running PDVD.

If I can add anything to the discussion then I'll be happy too
post #389 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM

I am also looking at this card to be the cornerstone of my new HTPC. I have a home theater, 123 screen, Infocus DLP projector, Paradigm speakers, and Anthem AVM-30 processor. My main goal is to be able to play the new sound formats. The problem is that my version of the AVM-30 does not have HDMI inputs but it DOES have six channel analog inputs (originally intended for SACD players). I intend to go with the daughter card with the analog out into the six (5.1) AVM-30 analog inputs.

Question:
I have a 7.1 physical speaker setup but if I feed the along out of the deluxe card into my AVM-30 as noted above I will be limited to 5.1 since the processor only has six channel in. Now, my separate amplifier has the full 7.1 speaker inputs but of course the AVM-30 is plugged into it. Does any sort of switch exist that would allow me to take the analog outs of the deluxe card directly into my amplifier effectively using the Xonar as my processor when I am in HTPC mode.

Should I even go through all of this to get the full 7.1 (if it's even possible) or is the 5.1 good enough. The Anthem people say that even with Master Audio you can't tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 with the new HD sound formats.

Thanks,

DOM
post #390 of 9551 Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post

The problem is that my version of the AVM-30 does not have HDMI inputs but it DOES have six channel analog inputs (originally intended for SACD players). I intend to go with the daughter card with the analog out into the six (5.1) AVM-30 analog inputs.

Please keep us posted, there are quite a few of us who use analog out to an amplifier, despite all the HDMI conversation posted.

If you have a 7.1 amp, why don't you just run the analog outs of the Xonar direct to the amp? If you need the receiver outputs (I can't imagine what your receiver could provide that the HTPC doesn't) you could find an A/B switch somewhere. Never had to find one of these myself, but I imagine they exist.

Lifespeed
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page