post #541 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

Bitstreaming is working fine. Just wait for better drivers. Vista drivers aren't there yet.

Hi myAV,

Where did you get your Vista driver then? Why don't you share it with Adam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

I know it is not likely to work, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone who gets the Xonar and also has a 4xxx series card from ATI try and see if the 4xxx is able to do bitstreaming with the new version of TMT. At minimum, confirmation of LPCM in TMT would be nice. Thanks!

That is one of the thing I really want to know. I prefer to use my 4850 and bit-stream and be done with it. But more and more I think and look, I really doubt it. At the end, I plan to stick the 3650 back and with Xonar and bit-stream.
post #543 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I know it is not likely to work, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone who gets the Xonar and also has a 4xxx series card from ATI try and see if the 4xxx is able to do bitstreaming with the new version of TMT. At minimum, confirmation of LPCM in TMT would be nice. Thanks!

+1 on this one! If it ever comes out in the US then I will test it.
post #544 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1 on this one!
post #545 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You sure can count on mpgxsvcd and I to do that for sure
post #546 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Those first two answers are way, way wrong.

You absolutely need a Video card, the Xonar post processes video, but it has no 2d or 3d rendering engine.

The price is way off base as well. MSRP is expected to be right aroung $200USD for the base card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

how do the connections work? you install the xonar and use either a vga card or mobo with igp. then do you have to connect a video input signal to the xonar? and then send the hdmi out from the xonar to the receiver/display? is the user manual available anywhere yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

ya, that's right, it has an HDMI in and HDMI out. You connect the video out from your video card (i think it comes with DVI-HDMI cable) to the HDMI input on the Xonar and then the HDMI output goes to your receiver/display.

Craig

leftheaded,

Craig is correct. You use whatever HDMI out source from your video card and plug it in this card HDMI in and use HDMI out from this card to your AVR. That's!
post #547 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Adam,

Thank you and you must have some good connection and have this so soon in your hand

Anyway, may I ask you few questions:

1) What do you think about the Splendid Video? Do you see any different before and after?

2) Based on what I read from you so far, even LPCM is still downconverting, going thru Vista mixer now because the PAP driver is not in your system, right?

3) I assume it is not creating any noise, right?

4) What about heat? I assume it is not generating any heart too, right?

5) What about CPU load? I assume it is not affecting much too, right?

6) The HDMI-to-HDMI cable come with the box, is it HDMI 1.3?

7) Any noticeable different in your TMT compare to retail TMT? Do you have some button such as "bit-stream" in TMT?

Thank you.
post #548 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Adam,

Thank you and you must have some good connection and have this so soon in your hand

Anyway, may I ask you few questions:

1) What do you think about the Splendid Video? Do you see any different before and after?

2) Based on what I read from you so far, even LPCM is still downconverting, going thru Vista mixer now because the PAP driver is not in your system, right?

3) I assume it is not creating any noise, right?

4) What about heat? I assume it is not generating any heart too, right?

5) What about CPU load? I assume it is not affecting much too, right?

6) The HDMI-to-HDMI cable come with the box, is it HDMI 1.3?

7) Any noticeable different in your TMT compare to retail TMT? Do you have some button such as "bit-stream" in TMT?

Thank you.

1) Haven't tried it yet... preocupied with Bitstream atm.
2) AFAIK it isn't downsampled but will be going through the windows mixer, can't say for sure though.
3) Silent
4) Haven't checked for heat really , it was warm but maybe from latent heat from other components.
5) I haven't checked CPU load
6) Pretty dumb if it wasn't. The cable is so short even a crap HDMI cable should be able to handle 1.3.
7) Never had retail as I couldn't get the trial to work. This preview version works fine, the only difference I noticed is an extra Audio setting in the drop down menu 'HDMI'.
post #549 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks AngelEyes
Been waiting to hear that info.

If anyone hears where it is being sold at in USA location.

Please post it.
post #550 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

How is the add-on board for analog output going to work. I don't have HDMI inputs into my pre/pro, but will be using the analog 7.1 out from the card. Anyone get one of these yet? Does the card software allow for speaker balancing etc?

Rudy81
post #551 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

1) Haven't tried it yet... preocupied with Bitstream atm.

Based on my understanding, it should have nothing to do with audio. They should just add a better picture quality to original picture. Sharper, contrast...

Quote:

7) Never had retail as I couldn't get the trial to work. This preview version works fine, the only difference I noticed is an extra Audio setting in the drop down menu 'HDMI'.

What do you mean "trial" and "preview"? Are you refer to bundle version that come with this card? I was under the impression that it is free, a full version and we don't have to paid extra to get the anything after the trial. Am I right?
post #552 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

How is the add-on board for analog output going to work. I don't have HDMI inputs into my pre/pro, but will be using the analog 7.1 out from the card. Anyone get one of these yet? Does the card software allow for speaker balancing etc?

Based on my understanding the deluxe version, all you have to do is instead of HDMI out to your AVR, you will have daughter card's analog RCA outputs to your AVR analog inputs.
post #553 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Adam,

Just to confirm mate, it works fine passed through the 875 (have the same myself) without AnyDVD? Any chance of uploading the manual if it's in pdf on the disk?
post #554 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on my understanding, it should have nothing to do with audio. They should just add a better picture quality to original picture. Sharper, contrast...

I haven't tried it yet, I am precupied with getting bitstream to work so I haven't even bothered looking at it yet. When I get Bitstrem working I will worry about the other stuff.

Quote:

What do you mean "trial" and "preview"? Are you refer to bundle version that come with this card? I was under the impression that it is free, a full version and we don't have to paid extra to get the anything after the trial. Am I right?

TMT is available as a trial, I used it but never got it to work. The bundled (full) version works fine but doesn't have the HDMI setting and AFAIK doesn't bitstream. You have to download the Preview version from ASUS. Preview is just another word for beta.

Quote:

Does the card software allow for speaker balancing etc?

Levels yes, distances no. It offers a virtual speaker setting where you move the speakers about but it seems more of a gimmick to me and there are no exact measurements. Same solution as the Xonar D2 so check that manual if you want.

Adam
post #555 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephster View Post

Adam,

Just to confirm mate, it works fine passed through the 875 (have the same myself) without AnyDVD? Any chance of uploading the manual if it's in pdf on the disk?

I suspect this is dependant on your graphics chipset. As I use G35 on my HTPC I have to use AnyDVD, it won't work without.

I am now installing it on my workstation nVidia/Vista64 so I will check then.

Adam
post #556 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm that you don't need AnyDVD when using nVidia GX2 card and Onkyo 875 with LPCM.

Still working on the Bitstream issue, TMT keeps moaning the sound card isn't in HDMI mode. However there is nothing in the Sound driver to activate Bitstreaming.

Pants.
post #557 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can confirm that you don't need AnyDVD when using nVidia GX2 card and Onkyo 875 with LPCM.

Still working on the Bitstream issue, TMT keeps moaning the sound card isn't in HDMI mode. However there is nothing in the Sound driver to activate Bitstreaming.

Pants.

It sounds like you need a Vista driver of this card in order to work.
post #558 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I hope this card is really beautiful to look at because functionality wise it appears to be exactly the same as G35 except for "splendid" engine

j/k thanks for the efforts AngelEyes very interesting stuff especially the exclusive mode
post #559 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I give up I'll just wait for vista drivers.

On the plus side I have TMT working and it hasn't balked at anything yet, wish it hadn't cost me £180 though
post #560 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Adam,

So far what you have, it's very different than what myAV preview. Let's hope the Vista driver will solve all the problems that you/we have. Since you're the owner now, did you email Asus support and demanding the Vista driver?
post #561 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all your input Adam, you're an absolute star!

Sigh. Well I just spent a few hours wiping Vista and installing XP in prep for getting this card. I got the trial of TMT (not the Asus one) working anyway, which it never did with Vista, although I had to apply the Japanese .ax files otherwise got no picture. And it won't play my Star Strek TOS hd-dvd. As it *still* seems to have the repeater bug however with the Asus card, according to Adam, I guess I have to buy another graphics card too and/or stump up for AnyDVD The g35 really was a bad buy.
post #562 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 PM

post #563 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Too bad about no receiver
"Sadly, we don't have a receiver that can make use of full Dolby TrueHD and the like here at Elite Bastards,"

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #564 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post

Just found this review: http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/ind...=613&Itemid=27

Wonder what the variability on the high end range > 10khz of those charts means to real world sound quality...
post #565 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Wonder what the variability on the high end range > 10khz of those charts means to real world sound quality...

Nothing if you're bitstreaming, which is the only reason to get this card. So the review is kind of useless since they didn't have the equipment to test it.

TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #566 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Nothing if you're bitstreaming, which is the only reason to get this card. So the review is kind of useless since they didn't have the equipment to test it.

Totally agree. I'm waiting for this to be available in North America (Canada specifically) and test it with my HT setup. Running a Yamaha RX-V2800 which will allow me to test out this baby.

Eric

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #567 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bitstreaming is not the only reason, analog out would be the other.

Unfortunately, the test results from elitebastards seem to indicate the Xonar HDAV is a notch below the 'audiophile' quality of the Xonar D2X, Auzentech X-Fi, and (I'm guessing) some of Creative's X-Fi cards also. So sad.

Perhaps they'll rev the D2X for PAP support . . .

Lifespeed
post #568 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

Bitstreaming is not the only reason, analog out would be the other.

Unfortunately, the test results from elitebastards seem to indicate the Xonar HDAV is a notch below the 'audiophile' quality of the Xonar D2X, Auzentech X-Fi, and (I'm guessing) some of Creative's X-Fi cards also. So sad.

Perhaps they'll rev the D2X for PAP support . . .

I you're going analog out, does it really matter that much? I mean, just get really good DAC's, there are a bunch of cards out there.

I doubt the bitstripping to 16/48 will be noticable at all over analog out.

Seriously, if you don't have a bitstream capable pre-pro/AVR, just get a high-quality DAC card. There's no need for the Xonar HDAV.

TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #569 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I you're going analog out, does it really matter that much? I mean, just get really good DAC's, there are a bunch of cards out there.

Seriously, if you don't have a bitstream capable pre-pro/AVR, just get a high-quality DAC card. There's no need for the Xonar HDAV.

this quote makes no sense whatsoever... if you're connecting this card's hdmi output to a sub $1000 receiver then the analog outputs will sound better. The 4 burrbrown dacs on this thing are far better then what you'll find in sub $1000 equipment.

also reading that review basically shows there is very little difference in quality from this and the D2X. The differences in real world applications are so minor anyone without a $10,000+ home theater system will not be able to tell any difference.
post #570 of 9551 Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will be every bit as noticeable, if not more, than with a cheap AVR.

Lifespeed
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page