Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHFan View Post

I need some help here. For almost two months I have been trying to have the firmware of my Xonar HDAV1.3 upgraded to v1.39AV.

First I did a RMA via the retailer. After waiting for three weeks, I have finally received my Xonar HDAV1.3 back with a note that the firmware is upgraded. I installed the audio card, checked the firmware, and it says v1.25AV is installed. I tried to output in 24Hz, but it doesn't work. They haven't done anything!

Of course I was disappointed. I contacted the retailer and since then I'm still discussing this issue with them (it's not resolved up to this date!).

I asked them to give me the contact information of ASUS Netherlands so I can go there myself and have the audio card upgraded. They told me that they could not do this since ASUS won't cooperate.

So I asked them to replace my Xonar HDAV1.3 with a newer model which does not need the new firmware. They told me that they could not do this as well since the distributors only have the old versions in stock and will not order a new one just for me.

Now I'm stuck. I can try sending it again, but I don't want to take that risk anymore. I'd have to pay for the delivery costs and miss my audio card for another month again. Also, there's no reassurance that this time my audio card will be upgraded properly.

So can anyone please help me out? How do I fix this problem in the Netherlands?

You can contact asus netherlands only by email for these things and i think that when you have the papers of your RMA and this is not done properly they can do nothing else than helping you with an RMA on their costs.
(It is strange because i bought a hdav1.3 at alternate 2/3 weeks ago
with serial nr '8' and it had firmware 1.39 i thought it was broke so went back and got anotherone also with 1.39 and i don't think that there are a lot of distributors for this card in the netherlands.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

I'll look back on your posts but to test, just display and AVR, no TV. You have SP3 with XP?

No i have XP SP2 at this moment, do you mean 9800-hdav-avr-display?
post #6123 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

You previously posted the same problem as Balky at post 6114, Xonar see dislay as a VGA device, right?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #6124 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldman View Post

No i have XP SP2 at this moment, do you mean 9800-hdav-avr-display?

No, I would connect AVR to output 2 of 9800 and display to output 1 of 9800.

Then I would do speaker tests in each sample rate and speaker settings.

I mean output 2 (from 9800) to Xonar to AVR and output 1 to display.

post #6125 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:

You previously posted the same problem as Balky 6114, Xonar see dislay as a VGA device, right?

No i see my tv as "samsung" so no problem there.
post #6126 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM

i currently have this setup 9800-hdav-avr-samsung hdmi 1 in
and 9800-samsung hdmi 4 in
post #6127 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

If you connect tv directly to Xonar and it shows correct, it may be a setting in AVR or EDID.

Installing manufacturer version of drivers made things really worse, I kept getting the error message that ATI drivers were not installed. Removed the manufacturer drivers and re-installed version 9.4 of ATI four times without success...
I defaulted to an old installation of vista32 on another partition that had been lying unused in the PC for more than 7 months, well, it seems to work except that there is plenty of image in the artifacts dsiplayed and loads of pixellation.
At least I know now that the problem is with the new drivers / EDID being a little too efficient and deciding for me what resolution I should be using without allowing me to choose another resolution. How great technology gets these days...
Any ideas on how to disable EDID and set values in CCC to get a better image will be quite welcome.
Thanks
post #6128 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM

ok one moment i will reboot and disconnect samsung from avr
post #6129 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM

What is EDID ?
post #6130 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

Installing manufacturer version of drivers made things really worse, I kept getting the error message that ATI drivers were not installed. Removed the manufacturer drivers and re-installed version 9.4 of ATI four times without success...
I defaulted to an old installation of vista32 on another partition that had been lying unused in the PC for more than 7 months, well, it seems to work except that there is plenty of image in the artifacts dsiplayed and loads of pixellation.
At least I know now that the problem is with the new drivers / EDID being a little too efficient and deciding for me what resolution I should be using without allowing me to choose another resolution. How great technology gets these days...
Any ideas on how to disable EDID and set values in CCC to get a better image will be quite welcome.
Thanks

I've read ATI users are reverting to 8 series of drivers, depends on OS, and ASUS TMT or TMT3. EDID is in your AVR, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091403

There may be some ideas there.

post #6131 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What is EDID ?

It's the way/program your AVR "talks" to connected components. Anyone with more specific insight can add.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091403

post #6132 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wouldn't do anything until you look through the entire thread as I don't know the problems incorrect application may cause.

post #6133 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Ok in display manager i see samsung + rx-v1800 (clone) but when i try speaker test it is still a mess. only dolby live/ dts interactive works spot on (and all 2 speakers 44.1/192)
post #6134 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM

when i check now with bd assistant it has a problem with connection type (analoog)
it now also has a problem with my nvidea drivers it says i have to upgrade (i use 182.50)
these 2 things don't happen when i use one display 9800-samsung or when i connect my avr to my samsung (instead of no output)?????????
post #6135 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok in display manager i see samsung + rx-v1800 (clone) but when i try speaker test it is still a mess. only dolby live/ dts interactive works spot on (and all 2 speakers 44.1/192)

The only difference between your problem and mine is that your PC still sees your samsung TV, mine was seen as the AVR + standard VGA (clone)...
Looks like it is not only an ATI issue... and also makes me wonder if this isn't something to do with the new xonar drivers...
I am formatting and re-installing my system the third time today as we speak... I think I am going to first try with the old xonar drivers before the new one...
does anyone know if the old xonar drivers will work with TMT3?
Thanks.
post #6136 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:

when i check now with bd assistant it has a problem with connection type (analoog)
it now also has a problem with my nvidea drivers it says i have to upgrade (i use 182.50)
these 2 things don't happen when i use one display 9800-samsung or when i connect my avr to my samsung (instead of no output)?????????

Ok this problem was solved by using dualview.
post #6137 of 9551 Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ok this problem was solved by using dualview.

Dualview setting made the difference?

post #6138 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suspect you tried off/on sequences with your pc? Changing hdmi inputs in AVR and tv? Connect directly to Xonar?

Thanks Davinleeds, I got it working now, it was not necessary to do the EDID overide thing...
I disabled the ATI external event service, restarted the PC and manually reset the resolution to 1080p and that was it...
Thanks once more...
post #6139 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 AM

Any one else find spledid to be a usless peice of rubbish?

Anyone able to get Aero working in Win7 with this Xonar, once I install the drivers Aero stops working.

This card makes me move heaven and earth to get it setup correctly geez.
post #6140 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try using the digital output.
I'm using HDMI all the way and that is what is selected in VMC.
post #6141 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I just got my Xonar and I already had TMT3.
I suppose I am not alone in this setting.
One particularity is that my pre-pro ONLY accepts 5.1 LPCM through HDMI. No bitstream!

So I am wondering how do I have to set the following:
- I set my HTPC output to Digital output (as opposed to Speakers). Is that ok?
- In the Xonar HDAV Centerl I set the HDMI output to:
> Audio Channel = 6 channels
> Audio Format = PCM 192Khz (although the test doesn't really work. If set to PCM 96Khz, it works)
> HDMI Out = 5.1 Speakers
All other Xonar settings are disabled.

In TMT3, I didn't know what to set. HDMI or HDMI passthrough?

Passthrough didn't really work except for DD or DTS.
HDMI (not passthrough) worked for all except that when I chose a DTS-MA, DTS-HD, or DTHD track and showed the information in TMT3 it said DTS.
My pre-pro also said DTS for this test.

The result I am seeking is of course to have the high-def audio track "untampered" as 5.1 LPCM through HDMI to my pre-pro and all the other formats such as DTS or DD, when played through another player, as a digital stream that my pre-pro would decode.

Is that possible?
How do I do that?

Thank you
post #6142 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Dualview setting made the difference?

yes it solved a view(all) display problems i see my avr now in display manager and bd assistant says all ok and better picture because of 9800-TV instead of 9800-hdav-avr-tv.

Now "only" the audio problems remain.....
post #6143 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

You have 9800 to Xonar to AVR?

ASUS TMT = hdmi, TMT 3 = hdmi passthrough.

Xonar hdmi, set to 6 or 8 channels. Audio Format set to PCM 48khz. HDMI OUT set to 5.1 or 7.1

You should try speaker test in all khz with HDMI OUT 2 speakers thru DTS Interactive.

Have you read the BD users guide at ASUS driver site?

post #6144 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM

yes to all, and with dts interactive everything is perfect every speaker i try is correct one in all khz's, this also works perfect with dolby digital live but the rest is a problem in speaker test.
post #6145 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

I just got my Xonar and I already had TMT3.
I suppose I am not alone in this setting.
One particularity is that my pre-pro ONLY accepts 5.1 LPCM through HDMI. No bitstream!

So I am wondering how do I have to set the following:
- I set my HTPC output to Digital output (as opposed to Speakers). Is that ok?
- In the Xonar HDAV Centerl I set the HDMI output to:
> Audio Channel = 6 channels
> Audio Format = PCM 192Khz (although the test doesn't really work. If set to PCM 96Khz, it works)
> HDMI Out = 5.1 Speakers
All other Xonar settings are disabled.

In TMT3, I didn't know what to set. HDMI or HDMI passthrough?

Passthrough didn't really work except for DD or DTS.
HDMI (not passthrough) worked for all except that when I chose a DTS-MA, DTS-HD, or DTHD track and showed the information in TMT3 it said DTS.
My pre-pro also said DTS for this test.

The result I am seeking is of course to have the high-def audio track "untampered" as 5.1 LPCM through HDMI to my pre-pro and all the other formats such as DTS or DD, when played through another player, as a digital stream that my pre-pro would decode.

Is that possible?
How do I do that?

Thank you

I prefer Xonar speakers in playback devices.

Read the BD users guide at ASUS Driver site for HDAV concerning when to use digital device verses speakers.

Some AVR won't do 192khz. I would make sure speaker test works in all other speaker settings and khz.

In TMT3 only passthrough will achieve correct bitrate. In "hdmi" the bitrate is reduced to 16. The bitsample remains correct.
Your AVR may automatically accept bitstream of DD/DTS in passthrough mode in hdmi and/or spdif. You have to refer to your manual.

Only ASUS TMT correctly passes lpcm thru the hdmi when you select 5.1/7.1 in the ASUS TMT and hdmi is selected in Xonar. This is most likely true for analog also, but haven't confirmed.

So if you like the VMC integration and HDDVD playback then TMT3.
If you don't mind playing from application, minimal HDDVD audio BUT PROPER lpcm, then ASUS TMT is better currently.

All IMO, of course

post #6146 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

yes to all, and with dts interactive everything is perfect every speaker i try is correct one in all khz's, this also works perfect with dolby digital live but the rest is a problem in speaker test.

There seems to be a setting that is blocking. Is on board audio enabled? In playback devices is Speakers (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Audio Device) Working. Do you have that checked?
LL

post #6147 of 9551 Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 PM

I am still having trouble getting Dolby True HD to work, for starters the movie tells me that my player is not HDCP. This is BS, Denon 2809, HD 3200 intergrated, Xonar 1.3 and Sony Bravia with 3 HDMI ports, and Total Media Theater 3, anyway Slysoft fixes that issue.

HDMI is running all the way to the TV via Receiver, player is set to HDMI Passthrough, Dolby Digital works, DTS works, LPCM soundtracks works as they should, True HD only throws out 2 channels, and no Blue HD light on receiver. I have tried all the Hz outputs on the Xonar still No true HD.

I am really starting to come to the end of my tether, I forked out a lot of cash for a Blueray Rom, AnyDVD, Xonar and Total Media Theater 3, it wouls have been cheap er for a standalone player I know, but I really thought I could make this work.

The Blueray Movies I have are Band of Brothers, that is DTS, Transformers that is English True HD only , and 300 that supports DTS, True HD and LPCM soundtracks. Rambo Box set is comming next week but I highly doubt thats going to make a differance.

I am really about to give up and smash the Xonar and put it on YouTube.

Am I doing something wrong? I have been trying for weeks, at first it was my TV it didnt support HDMI so I thought Ok I will get a new TV "I needed a new one anyway" then I can enjoy BR movies so I purchased a 42 inch Bravia

Any advice appreciated.

My Quest for Dolby True HD continues.

EDIT xxxxx

I notice I dont have the Channel setting in my drivers, like the above pic, but I am running Audio format -96Khz Dolby True HD standard, HDMI is set to 5.1 my setup is 5.1. I am allso running Windows 7 could this have anything to do with it? I highly doubt it seeing as every other format under the sun works for me.
post #6148 of 9551 Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I prefer Xonar speakers in playback devices.

Read the BD users guide at ASUS Driver site for HDAV concerning when to use digital device verses speakers.

Some AVR won't do 192khz. I would make sure speaker test works in all other speaker settings and khz.

In TMT3 only passthrough will achieve correct bitrate. In "hdmi" the bitrate is reduced to 16. The bitsample remains correct.
Your AVR may automatically accept bitstream of DD/DTS in passthrough mode in hdmi and/or spdif. You have to refer to your manual.

Only ASUS TMT correctly passes lpcm thru the hdmi when you select 5.1/7.1 in the ASUS TMT and hdmi is selected in Xonar. This is most likely true for analog also, but haven't confirmed.

So if you like the VMC integration and HDDVD playback then TMT3.
If you don't mind playing from application, minimal HDDVD audio BUT PROPER lpcm, then ASUS TMT is better currently.

All IMO, of course

Hello Davinleeds,

I am trying to make sense of what you wrote, so, please forgive me for being a newbie on the matter.

"I prefer Xonar speakers in playback devices"
What do you mean? I do not have the Deluxe. And i want Digital audio only. No analog. I thought I will never use the Speakers output again ever. Am I wrong?

"Some AVR won't do 192khz. I would make sure speaker test works in all other speaker settings and khz."
Do you happen to know the Anthem Statement D2? This is my AVR.
I suspect you are right and it doesn't accept 192Khz. I suppose I should set my output to 96Khz then, right?

"In TMT3 only passthrough will achieve correct bitrate"
So I guess the TMT's passthrough is the setting passing bitstream, right?
Well this is not allowed in my D2 (until I upgrade to D2v). So I will set my TMT to HDMI only, right?

"Only ASUS TMT correctly passes lpcm thru the hdmi when you select 5.1/7.1 in the ASUS TMT and hdmi is selected in Xonar."
Do you mean that at the moment I cannot use TMT3? And that I have to revert back to Asus' TMT2 to get correct LPCM?

I do not use VMC. What's best for me?

Thank you very much for the help.
post #6149 of 9551 Old 04-13-2009, 02:41 AM

Hi @ xstrips:

"I prefer Xonar speakers in playback devices"
What do you mean? I do not have the Deluxe. And i want Digital audio only. No analog. I thought I will never use the Speakers output again ever. Am I wrong?

-> Digital Output or Speakers doesn't mean that you are using the HDMI or Soundcard mode... That is a setting which you are selecting inside the Xonar HDAV Center. Choose the Xonar Audio Speakers for HDMI and HDMI Passthrough Output!

"In TMT3 only passthrough will achieve correct bitrate"
So I guess the TMT's passthrough is the setting passing bitstream, right?
Well this is not allowed in my D2 (until I upgrade to D2v). So I will set my TMT to HDMI only, right?

-> Exact! HDMI Passthrough is Bitstreaming and HDMI is the way you want to go if your receiver doesn't work with bitstreaming!

"Only ASUS TMT correctly passes lpcm thru the hdmi when you select 5.1/7.1 in the ASUS TMT and hdmi is selected in Xonar."
Do you mean that at the moment I cannot use TMT3? And that I have to revert back to Asus' TMT2 to get correct LPCM?

-> Sure you can use TMT3, BUT with some downsampling going on... I hope this will be fixed soon... If you don't want this stick with the Asus Version of TMT!

And @all others:
I've recently bought a Xonard HDAV1.3 "standard" Version and I've some question about it right now:

1.) Is someone using this splenidid video enhancer...
I made some tests with calibration patterns yesterday and decided not to use it because it's just a big bogus?!

2.) Is there any possibility to buy the little daughter bord seperately !? Or is someone NOT using it so I can buy this little thing from him?

Best Regards
The_Iceman
post #6150 of 9551 Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm so god damn sick of hdmi and things being stuck in 1080i. I bascially have to piss with my settings for hours to get 1080p, and sometimes I can't even get that to work at all. And none of this happened before getting this stupid sound card that forces me to route the F"ing video through it. Not to mention when you have a 1920x1200 monitor and that res becomes completely unselectable .

Hole things just annoying as hell. I can't get any game at this point to even use 1080p, they now all act like I can't do it. When clearly I can, sure 1920x1200 monitor but it can pixel map to any res, but gee now it doesn't matter when this sound card forces me into res hell.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page