Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

lifespeed,

Do you mind elaborate the different?

I think he's refering to the DX2 having to play downress'd audio.

I'm not trying to put words in his mouth, but that's how I interpreted his statement.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I think he's refering to the DX2 having to play downress'd audio.

I'm not trying to put words in his mouth, but that's how I interpreted his statement.

I was under the impression he was referring to his system.
post #603 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

lifespeed,

Do you mind elaborate the different?

Although the D2X can play up to 24-bit/192 KHz audio, Hollywood with their DRM has decreed that TMT will downsample the high-def audio content to 16/48. The Xonar HDAV has been 'blessed' by the DRM gods due to it's Protected Audio Path which provides the suits in Hollywood with an (unfounded) warm fuzzy feeling of security. I don't need HDMI out, I use analog, so the D2X fits my needs perfectly. It actually has better analog performance than the HDAV. But DRM cripples it.

My ability to play high-def audio has been effectively removed despite the fact that I have capable hardware, as BD are the main source of this content. I also have some 24/96 DVD-Audio discs that I will have to circumvent the copy protection (DRM police get stuffed!) and rip to hard drive simply to be able to enjoy the content that I paid for.

Lifespeed
post #604 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

Although the D2X can play up to 24-bit/192 KHz audio, Hollywood with their DRM has decreed that TMT will downsample the high-def audio content to 16/48. The Xonar HDAV has been 'blessed' by the DRM gods due to it's Protected Audio Path which provides the suits in Hollywood with an (unfounded) warm fuzzy feeling of security. I don't need HDMI out, I use analog, so the D2X fits my needs perfectly. It actually has better analog performance than the HDAV. But DRM cripples it.

My ability to play high-def audio has been effectively removed despite the fact that I have capable hardware, as BD are the main source of this content. I also have some 24/96 DVD-Audio discs that I will have to circumvent the copy protection (DRM police get stuffed!) and rip to hard drive simply to be able to enjoy the content that I paid for.

Thanks and we're in the same boat especially with the SACD and BD contents in HDD... The only different you and I is I move away the analog and get into this HDMI 1.3 game last couple years.

Yes, it is a bit disappointed that the review said the HDAV's analog is not as good as D2X's analog but if I were you I won't trust that until your own A/B test with your own equipments - you never know.
post #605 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hollywood with their DRM has decreed that TMT will downsample the high-def audio content to 16/48.

Just because Hollywood has decreed that it will be that way doesn't mean that Arcsoft has adhered to that!

Currently, Arcsoft TMT will output 96 Khz 7.1 Channel PCM for Blu-rays with an ATI 4850 over HDMI and WITH WINDOWS XP. The question is whether they downconvert to 48 Khz before they output at 96 Khz. And the answer is there really is no way to tell without digging into the Arcsoft code. So what would stop them from outputting 96 Khz at 96 Khz without downconverting first? The studios would never know the difference. There really isn't anyway to prove what Arcsoft is doing.

I find it interesting that they do not output 48 Khz for 48 Khz Blu-rays with Windows XP. However, if they did that then the studios would be able to see that they were actually sending out the orginal Khz for all Blu-ray discs and that would violate the terms for 96 Khz discs. If they just always output 96 Khz no one knows what they are getting with 96 Khz discs.
post #606 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way"

Props to ya for the Floyd reference.

PSN ID: Kranin
post #607 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:

Current cards, like the Xonar D2X that I have, all trigger downsampling to 16-bit/48 KHz when playing BD using TMT because of the PAP issue.

Yes, the card I have is great, but DRM and software choose to cripple it. My sound system is good enough that it makes a difference.

I did not realize it downsampled analog. But then again, I do not use analog, so I never bothered to research it.
post #608 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Yes, it is a bit disappointed that the review said the HDAV's analog is not as good as D2X's analog but if I were you I won't trust that until your own A/B test with your own equipments - you never know.

sometimes people put way too much into the distortion numbers... look at the prelude in the review, on paper it doesn't quite measure up as well as the D2X, but I've read many more reviews saying the prelude actually sounds better - the HDAV measured very similarly to the prelude in many of the tests. add in the fact that you can swap out every channel's on-amp with the HDAV and it can still have the potential to sound better then the D2X.

now if this thing ever gets released or better yet - work, that's another story.
post #609 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 View Post

It seems like it at times.

Here is what I know after a couple of meetings yesterday.

Where were those meetings held, in US or any other country?
post #610 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The DX2 has way better sound quality than the HDAV, it has to be, I mean look at all those cool lights

Asus really scrimped on coloured LEDs on the HDAV, I was hoping for a laser, smoke machine and glitter-ball at least

...yes I am bored, no Vista drivers for my new toy
post #611 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

The DX2 has way better sound quality than the HDAV, it has to be, I mean look at all those cool lights

Asus really scrimped on coloured LEDs on the HDAV, I was hoping for a laser, smoke machine and glitter-ball at least

...yes I am bored, no Vista drivers for my new toy

Well then why not give Windows XP a try?
post #612 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Well then why not give Windows XP a try?

I am swamped with work at the moment and wasted a day when the HDAV arrived messing about. Installing XP is just not worth the hassle at the moment ..and I love to have something to moan about of course
post #613 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

Props to ya for the Floyd reference.

Yeah, I noticed that one too.

So, back to the Xonar, did you notice how black it is? One wonders how much more black could it be? And the answer is 'none', none more black.

Lifespeed
post #614 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post

sometimes people put way too much into the distortion numbers... look at the prelude in the review, on paper it doesn't quite measure up as well as the D2X, but I've read many more reviews saying the prelude actually sounds better - the HDAV measured very similarly to the prelude in many of the tests. add in the fact that you can swap out every channel's on-amp with the HDAV and it can still have the potential to sound better then the D2X.

now if this thing ever gets released or better yet - work, that's another story.

While I agree that numbers aren't everything, there were other things besides distortion that stood out. Frequency response and noise floor. It really did look like not a great deal of attention had been paid to the analog given this card's focus on HDMI. If it is shipped with cheap opamps, great. An easy fix. I think the the D2X come with LM4562s which are supposed to be pretty good.

Lifespeed
post #615 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post

the dx2 has way better sound quality than the hdav, it has to be, i mean look at all those cool lights :d

asus really scrimped on coloured leds on the hdav, i was hoping for a laser, smoke machine and glitter-ball at least

lol
post #616 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM

You guys are soooo bored
I made up my mind: I'll wait for the US release and probably will buy it there too.
post #617 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Because of the release delay in the US, I guess this means I can focus on my studies for the exam next friday......nah
post #618 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Ok, so i must be an idiot...have the Deluxe version analogue plumbed into my Arcam AV8 7.1 input, running Vista 32bit on intel g45 micro atx, TMT plays smooth my HD DVD's, no Blu yet, but i get no sound at all, set to 7.1 in Asus and TMT and Vista, I can get the "left", "right" etc vocal test to ping each speaker in the Asus, but movie HD and DVD will not output sound, even spdif is dead. Music through Media Player on spdif is ok, 7.1 analogue no.

Any ideas, must be something simple that i have missed it????

Thanks
Andy

p.s centre and sub keep swapping channels now and again as well...
post #619 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooby View Post

Ok, so i must be an idiot...have the Deluxe version analogue plumbed into my Arcam AV8 7.1 input, running Vista 32bit on intel g45 micro atx, TMT plays smooth my HD DVD's, no Blu yet, but i get no sound at all, set to 7.1 in Asus and TMT and Vista, I can get the "left", "right" etc vocal test to ping each speaker in the Asus, but movie HD and DVD will not output sound, even spdif is dead. Music through Media Player on spdif is ok, 7.1 analogue no.

Any ideas, must be something simple that i have missed it????

Thanks
Andy

p.s centre and sub keep swapping channels now and again as well...

Sorry, obvious question but have you got the analogue tab selected in the Asus driver and configured the 'Speakers HDAV blah blah' in the Vista sound control panel?

Also make sure you have the correct audio settings in TMT.

I only have the standard myself so just covering the basics

Adam
post #620 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nope
A mistake

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #621 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:53 PM

yep, checked all of them...oh and TMT swaps centre and sub channels, have to reset computer for the asus ping test to work correctly again...anyway back to testing
post #622 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yep, checked all of them...oh and TMT swaps centre and sub channels, have to reset computer for the asus ping test to work correctly again...anyway back to testing

Are you using the preview version of TMT from the ASUS download site?

Adam
post #623 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 04:08 PM

no full version on disc that came with Deluxe, on checking centre and sub is intermittent problem, media player plays 2 channel thru 7.1 input fine, seems TMT won't output sound.

The Asus drivers on disc if they auto load crash out when u change any settings in Asus control panel, had to look on disc for Vista drivers and load them seperate.
post #624 of 9571 Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We might be getting closer. Arcsoft just release a beta .125 patch - http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_p...&PID=3979#3979.

One of the things on the list:

03) Certified DD+ and TrueHD
post #625 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

I am swamped with work at the moment and wasted a day when the HDAV arrived messing about. Installing XP is just not worth the hassle at the moment ..and I love to have something to moan about of course

At the moment there are only two options left for you.One is to wait for a better Vista driver or go XP for the moment and switch back to Vista again later when drivers are available. ( It only takes a little more than two hours to install and get everything up and running.) I contacted Asus software guys again yesterday and looks like they are testing a new Vista driver. If everything goes well we will see them within 14 days.BTW,I don't think Arcsoft's Jason can help you that much with this issue.
post #626 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no full version on disc that came with Deluxe, on checking centre and sub is intermittent problem, media player plays 2 channel thru 7.1 input fine, seems TMT won't output sound.

The Asus drivers on disc if they auto load crash out when u change any settings in Asus control panel, had to look on disc for Vista drivers and load them seperate.

I suggest you go for the newer version of TMT then, might solve a few issues. The preview/beta version on the Asus site is a full version too btw...

Adam
post #627 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

:

At the moment there are only two options left for you.One is to wait for a better Vista driver or go XP for the moment and switch back to Vista again later when drivers are available. ( It only takes a little more than two hours to install and get everything up and running.) I contacted Asus software guys again yesterday and looks like they are testing a new Vista driver. If everything goes well we will see them within 14 days.BTW,I don't think Arcsoft's Jason can help you that much with this issue.

No, you are probably right ...2 weeks, sucks. Maybe I will tinker with XP after all. However 2 Weeks is about how long my ridiculous workload should end...

Adam
post #628 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
only on the main 2 fronts (LM4562)

Quote:

While I agree that numbers aren't everything, there were other things besides distortion that stood out. Frequency response and noise floor. It really did look like not a great deal of attention had been paid to the analog given this card's focus on HDMI. If it is shipped with cheap opamps, great. An easy fix. I think the the D2X come with LM4562s which are supposed to be pretty good.

post #629 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

:

Any tips on the settings I should be using in XP. I am running TMT and HDAV1.3 (using the downloads on the asus site), but whilst I can get normal DTS and DD streaming, I can't get DTS-HD and DD+ streaming....

I have set the sound as HDMI out on the TMT panel, and but think i am missing something on the HDAV1.3 control centre. If I set spdif out as PCM, I get 'no signal' on the receiver (but get a picture).

Thanks for any help you can give....

R
post #630 of 9571 Old 09-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Any tips on the settings I should be using in XP. I am running TMT and HDAV1.3 (using the downloads on the asus site), but whilst I can get normal DTS and DD streaming, I can't get DTS-HD and DD+ streaming....

I have set the sound as HDMI out on the TMT panel, and but think i am missing something on the HDAV1.3 control centre. If I set spdif out as PCM, I get 'no signal' on the receiver (but get a picture).

Thanks for any help you can give....

R

Set HDMI out on the TMT audio control and on the Xonar HDAV center select HDMI and set speakers to 7.1. Don't select or change any other settings and give it a go. Is LPCM working?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page