*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem solved, did a clean reinstall of vista and all is fine, just a pity you can't set individual speaker distances in Deluxe.

You would have thought as Deluxe is aimed at us analogue boys they would have included this in the drivers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 AM

I find this amazing myself. Such a basic feature for a surround system, and they don't include it..
post #633 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Yeah, very poor

oh yeah, just downloaded Reclock beta for Vista, breaks the sound on my system, removed it from system but it's still broke...hey ho...another clean Vista install...
post #634 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by llafriel View Post

I find this amazing myself. Such a basic feature for a surround system, and they don't include it..

I agree it should be on there, a glaring ommission IMO but it was never added to the Xonar D2 so you shouldn't have expected it on the HDAV.

Adam
post #635 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Going to XP is not an option, because then you will lose EVR which means losing stable drop free 24Hz support.

Vern
post #636 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait - are you saying the Xonar HDAV 1.3 doesn't have Vista drivers? Are you kidding me?

They have released hardware that only supports a 5-year-old OS, and not a current OS?

That has to be a misunderstanding.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #637 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Wait - are you saying the Xonar HDAV 1.3 doesn't have Vista drivers? Are you kidding me?

They have released hardware that only supports a 5-year-old OS, and not a current OS?

That has to be a misunderstanding.

Keep in mind the card isn't officially released anywhere except one country.
post #638 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Keep in mind the card isn't officially released anywhere except one country.

Is that confirmation that there's only an XP driver?

And I thought it was officially released at least in India and the UK? And according to someone (I thought here on this board), the only open issue was TMT TrueHD support?

It sounds to me like the #1 issue is a Vista driver. Without that, this card is useless for 24p. And it's *new hardware* people, who releases new hardware without drivers for current OS's? That's just rediculous.

I must be reading things wrong here.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #639 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Is that confirmation that there's only an XP driver?

And I thought it was officially released at least in India and the UK? And according to someone (I thought here on this board), the only open issue was TMT TrueHD support?

It sounds to me like the #1 issue is a Vista driver. Without that, this card is useless for 24p. And it's *new hardware* people, who releases new hardware without drivers for current OS's? That's just rediculous.

I must be reading things wrong here.

There is a Vista driver, which works with LPCM, just not a Bitstreaming Vista driver yet.

Adam
post #640 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I am disappointed to hear that several of you have been having so much difficulty with the install. I would have expected the product to be ready for prime time once released. I may wait a few months until the public "beta" testers get all the feedback to Asus.

Rudy81
post #641 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 AM

It's obvious that we have several things in play here; (1) A new hardware device from Asus, (2) A retail version of TMT, (3) A separate or branched code path of TMT that is being developed specifically to work with the HDAV, and (4) a new driver set from Asus that will allow the HDAV to talk to TMT in the first place.

Normally we as customers would expect all of the above elements to be properly put together behind the scenes with the final product shipped completely ready to go. Obviously this isn't happening with this product nor do I get the sense that Asus is effectively working with Arcsoft. I can't believe that ASUS allowed this product to ship in any country without any of the above loose ends tied together. I agree that Vista drivers needed to be a release requirement. If they wanted to have a beta program than they should have identified key testers (like us) and shipped some eval hardware way in advance of releasing anything to the general public. I would have expected that the two code paths of TMT would have been merged with a single release version coinciding with the launch of the HDAV so both HDAV customers and regular TMT users would be on the same version. What we have now is all sorts of versions and patches floating around both on the Asus and Arcsoft web sites (unofficial pre-release patches are even being published on the Arcsoft message board by someone that works at Arcsoft but admits he isn't part of the HDAV team or even has access to those folks). I consider myself an expert in this sort of stuff and I frankly can't figure out which version of what would need to be tested even if I lived outside of the US and had a retail HDAV in hand.

Asus has never impressed me at any level unfortunately. The web site is clunky at best, telephone support is abysmal at best, and their message boards have also been sub standard the few times I needed them. I am not surprised they have effectively botched this release. Even with all of that being said I will be one of the first to purchase both the HDAV and their upcoming custom 4870 X2 TOP card once released in the US. They seem to make good hardware but simply fail at these other points I have been highlighting.

DOM
post #642 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

There is a Vista driver, which works with LPCM, just not a Bitstreaming Vista driver yet.

Adam

There was a bitstreaming Vista driver too.Unfortunately I don't have it with me anymore.Anyway I will see what I can do about that next week.
post #643 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagoda View Post

Hi myAV

I have been following this thread with keen interest. What is the selling price in Taiwan? I will be in Taipei by the end of this month and am thinking to pick one up from there.

Can you recommend where I should go to buy these ASUS products?

Price here in Taiwan is $200 for the deluxe package. PM me if you are really coming to Taipei.
post #644 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

Set HDMI out on the TMT audio control and on the Xonar HDAV center select HDMI and set speakers to 7.1. Don't select or change any other settings and give it a go. Is LPCM working?

Well i changed the hdmi cable to one i know works with bitstreaming, and whilst very temperamental locking on. I have seen those magical words on my on my reciever. I am getting full dts-hd mstr via bitstream on die hard 4 bluray:-) once locked on, it is fine.:-)
post #645 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Well i changed the hdmi cable to one i know works with bitstreaming, and whilst very temperamental locking on. I have seen those magical words on my on my reciever. I am getting full dts-hd mstr via bitstream on die hard 4 bluray:-) once locked on, it is fine.:-)

Give me a clue. I just spent a couple of hours instlling XP and the b*stard TMT still keeps telling me to select 'HDMI' on my sound card driver.

I also get no picture on TMT now...

Adam
post #646 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm seems to be working now, I fiddled around in the Receiver menu and when I returned it was displaying Master Audio, looks like some sort of lockon issue... maybe I will check Vista again... just in case.

Adam
post #647 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Give me a clue. I just spent a couple of hours instlling XP and the b*stard TMT still keeps telling me to select 'HDMI' on my sound card driver.

Adam

I did as myAV said. I set it on hdmi in TMT, and then in the asus panel, set the hdmi out as 192 and 7.1.

I did have to resync the hdmi connection to get hd master instead of vanilla dts on a couple of tests.

I have no problems with pic at 1080 60hz. Haven't got 24p working yet..
post #648 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Hmmm seems to be working now, I fiddled around in the Receiver menu and when I returned it was displaying Master Audio, looks like some sort of lockon issue... maybe I will check Vista again... just in case.

Adam

Excellent.:-)

Have you tried dd+ yet?

I have not had a chance, maybe tomorrow though.:-)
post #649 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

To get DTS-MA working I need to change resolution after the Bitstream has started to get the Receiver to lock on. I hope this is a driver rather than Receiver issue...

Adam
post #650 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Adam

Hi Adam,

Now you know how i felt got sound and no picture, I am just re-testing XP to see if i can get all working without any hiccups.
post #651 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi247 View Post

Hi Adam,

Now you know how i felt got sound and no picture, I am just re-testing XP to see if i can get all working without any hiccups.

What is going on XP is not working too
post #652 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Let me just say...hot damn...now i have got it settled down i have been doing some testing (Deluxe, analogue out).

First things first, the damn card sounds as good if not better than my Arcam AV8 on the 7.1 passthru, SD DVD movies and music sound exactly the same...

Just popped in Matrix HD DVD True HD and played the lobby scene...HOLY SH@T!!!!! never have i heard my system sound like this and i haven't even set up my external Audyssey Processor yet.

I was worried about not being able to do speaker distances but to be honest i can't tell the difference...(gonna get some flak for that comment!!)

Andy
post #653 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Grooby, were you able to at least set attenuation on individual speakers if necessary? If I do get the card it will to use the analog out into my 7.1 system. I don't want to do a WinXP re-install just to get it to work though.

Rudy81
post #654 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM

As far as i can see the only speaker setting is for the crossover for the sub, no settings at all for the other 7 speakers...

Are there more options under XP?
post #655 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooby View Post

As far as i can see the only speaker setting is for the crossover for the sub, no settings at all for the other 7 speakers...

Are there more options under XP?

Wow, that is very disappointing. In my case, the analog inputs on my pre/pro go directly to the amps and then speakers. So, using this card there will be no way to properly set up the system for 7.1 or 5.1. I am surprised the software seetings don't allow for some speaker distance of level attenuation. I have no idea if XP will be any different.

Rudy81
post #656 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 PM

That is exactly how i have my system set up, the Arcam gives a clean passthru, so no distance settings are applied by the processor.

If they eventually include distance settings it will be bye bye Arcam.
post #657 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Andy:
Please keep us posted of your experiece with the card. Of course I am particularly interested in the cards analog performance since that is what I will be using. I too am concerned about the center and effects channels being out of balance in a passthru application. I cann't believe Asus did not think to put level or distance calibration for their analog outputs. For many, this is the whole purpose of getting this card.

Rudy81
post #658 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
you can sort all these out -all be it with extra faff using AC3filter can you not ?

does depend on the specific program though ... some won't allow AC3filter to be in the chain, but if TMT does then you can use AC3filter to set up individual speaker delays

but like I've queried before, other than niceness of actual phonos I can't see the benefit for analogue users getting this card, vs the D2X (apart from better op-amps)
post #659 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well, adding another program to the chain is just another issue that could cause problems and add to processor overhead. I may just sit tight and wait for other cards to hit the market. I'm sure some of them will have a more complete package for HT use.

Rudy81
post #660 of 9551 Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
don't think they will Rudy unfortunately - not worth their while - too small a market ..

I'm in a real dilemma because of this - I'm umming and arring between a Yamaha RXV-3800 with full HD capabillities, or an Arcam AVR350 - with only analogue in ... would be perfect driven by a decent high-end sound card, if only they could sort out bass management, and speaker delays
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page