*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 9539 Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Normally I am an early adopter especially on stuff like this but I am afraid I am going to have to wait this one out a little. I won't criticize Asus at all right now since I live in the US and the card isn't released here yet. Hopefully they fix most of their issues before they do release it here. But even then I will wait to here what you all have to say on how it performs and what is the best video card to pair with it.

I won't go near if it ruins the great (not perfect) 24p I have now with the nVidia 9500GT and TMT. I am really looking toward results of the Xonar paired with an ATI 4600 series also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9539 Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Normally I am an early adopter especially on stuff like this but I am afraid I am going to have to wait this one out a little. I won't criticize Asus at all right now since I live in the US and the card isn't released here yet. Hopefully they fix most of their issues before they do release it here. But even then I will wait to here what you all have to say on how it performs and what is the best video card to pair with it.

I won't go near if it ruins the great (not perfect) 24p I have now with the nVidia 9500GT and TMT. I am really looking toward results of the Xonar paired with an ATI 4600 series also.

When you can, tell some who won't believe TMT does 24

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #813 of 9539 Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Disable the old sound card in device manager. Alternatively if it's onboard audio, you should be able to disable it in BIOS.

Thanks. I just finished doing that and was testing things to make sure ASIO was still working via SPDIF. TMT is now using the card I want it to use. Thanks.

Rudy81
post #814 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbear666 View Post

erm... i guess i read it but with trying from a to z it slipped my mind ;-) i tried the german "phantom of the opera" with dts-hd now. I got my receiver to show the dts-hd setting, so bitstream is running, but no sound. i will try changing the resolutions.

thanks!

P.S. At 192khz i get the strangest and weirdest noises... that doesnt sound right!?!

Im using an Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver. Anyone of you using this one and got bitstream working?
post #815 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

Why would you think that? My understanding is that the version that Asus shipped with the cards was .122, while the current retail version is .121. I would expect that the .125 version (which includes TrueHD decoding that the HDAV needs) will be an upgrade for both the retail and HDAV versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

I think Arcsoft Jason said that ASUS and Arcsoft were creating different versions of TMT. The Asus version would be primarily structured for the Xonar card while the Arcsoft version would be a general version.

What he said
post #816 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Im using an Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver. Anyone of you using this one and got bitstream working?

I had bitstream working on My Denon 3808 straight off only after a clean install of XP ( Previous Vista Installation ), Just curious are you running the latest firmware on your 605 this may be the problem.

As for the settings i just copied what Myav had done which is Speaker output 7.1, 96khz, and on TMT HDMI audio out.
post #817 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnfr View Post

Just finished installing the HDAV in my Asus M3N78-EMH HTPC.

I am running Vista 32 with a 4850e and 4GB RAM with the HDMI output going through an Onkyo 905 to a Samsung LE52F96 TV (UK model of the 81 Series with LED local dimming).

First impressions - the HDAV has broken 1080p24 as it will only go down to 1080p25. So no smooth panning in blu-ray playback
Arcsoft TMT really doesn't like the 8200 as when I turn on hardware acceleration then it stutters like crazy... so I am having to run it in software decode mode (80%+ CPU load on the 4850e...).
Of course no audio bitstreaming in Vista, so it is a bit academic at the moment, but I paid £180 to loose 1080p24 and get software playback only in TMT...
OK I will have to wait until they release the next version of TMT and the drivers, as hopefully they will fix 1080p24 and add bitstreaming, but if you have accelerated 1080p24 playback with LPCM multi-channel audio decoding on the 8200 motherboard in PowerDVD, stick with it, as the HDAV is a downgrade at the moment!

@shawnfr

I have the exact same setup apart from i only have 2gb ram and like you said 1080p/24hz is broken with HDAV card, If i bypass it and go straight from the IGP 8200 i get 1080p/24hz and LPCM which at this point does not bother me as i get LPCM through the Xonar card anyhow my main concern at the moment is to get 1080p/24hz setting back.

Funnily enough if i minimise TMT while i have a setting of 1080p@60hz video seems to play fine i only get judder when TMT is maximised, shawnfr what Driver are you using for your 8200 i am currently running WHQL 1.75 i am not too sure on this but i think this may be just a graphics driver issue.

Anyhow i last night sent Asus a report form with all current hardware and software related matters for this card and have been assured they will test this and try and work out what may be causing the 1080p/24hz problem.
post #818 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi247 View Post

I had bitstream working on My Denon 3808 straight off only after a clean install of XP ( Previous Vista Installation ), Just curious are you running the latest firmware on your 605 this may be the problem.

As for the settings i just copied what Myav had done which is Speaker output 7.1, 96khz, and on TMT HDMI audio out.

Thanks for your input. I updated the Firmware on the 605 a couple of month ago (there was a glitch with bitstream "bangs", which now isnt a problem anymore. I tested this with my bdr-1400 from samsung). There is -to my knowledge- no newer firmware available.

I tried these exact settings too... Maybe ill just reinstall the drivers and TMT and try again. Maybe some registry setting wasnt set straight or anything...
post #819 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your input. I updated the Firmware on the 605 a couple of month ago (there was a glitch with bitstream "bangs", which now isnt a problem anymore. I tested this with my bdr-1400 from samsung). There is -to my knowledge- no newer firmware available.

I tried these exact settings too... Maybe ill just reinstall the drivers and TMT and try again. Maybe some registry setting wasnt set straight or anything...

I don't think bitstreaming is working with HD-DVD yet... Only Bluray;-)

Also have you tried changing your HDMI cable. My 875 was far more responsive when I used another HDMi cable...
post #820 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

My HDAV arrived yesterday, I will install it today. Can I just leave my Auzen Prelude in for analog sound or do I have to uninstall it? I am using Vista x64 btw.
post #821 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 AM

The Hdav1.3 has hit Australia. I was able to buy one off the shelf today from www.computeralliance.com.au . I believe they'd already sold one and had two left. Sounds like getting it to work properly will be interesting, but I guess I must like a challenge. Why else would I have a Meda PC.

Been waiting a year to be able to bitstream from a PC, can't believe its taken so long for a product to come out.
post #822 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

My HDAV arrived yesterday, I will install it today. Can I just leave my Auzen Prelude in for analog sound or do I have to uninstall it? I am using Vista x64 btw.

You should be able to leave it in but as suggested above make sure you select the output device you want in the Audio manager. depending on which version you buy you may have to disable the analogue ASUS device to use the Auzen.

Adam
post #823 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

I bought the HDMI only card otherwise the Prelude would be already at Ebay.
post #824 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

I don't think bitstreaming is working with HD-DVD yet... Only Bluray;-)

Also have you tried changing your HDMI cable. My 875 was far more responsive when I used another HDMi cable...

Ah okay, so ill try only with blu-rays

i tried the hdmi-cable which came with the soundcard and one other. ill try the one which works fine with the blu-ray standalone...
post #825 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Funnily enough if i minimise TMT while i have a setting of 1080p@60hz video seems to play fine i only get judder when TMT is maximised, shawnfr what Driver are you using for your 8200 i am currently running WHQL 1.75 i am not too sure on this but i think this may be just a graphics driver issue.

Anyhow i last night sent Asus a report form with all current hardware and software related matters for this card and have been assured they will test this and try and work out what may be causing the 1080p/24hz problem.

I noticed that TMT only stutters when in full screen mode. Mind you it is even worse when you try it from within Media Center.

I am also using the 175 driver - I was debating about trying one of the later betas 179? But decided not to risk it last night

I posted on the Asus forum about the missing 1080p24, so hopefully they sort it out soon.
post #826 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM

wow.. I was just forwarded a link from my Taiwanese friend, it's a China site reviewing Xonar HDAV, well.. it's google translated, hope it works for you....

http://translate.google.com.tw/trans...sl=zh-CN&tl=en
Below: DTS HD Master

Below: 7.1 DTS HD Master

Below: DTS HD Master received correctly

Below: DTS HD HR

Below: Dolby Digital Plus

Below: Test disc of all 3 standards

Below: 24bit96Khz 7.1ch LPCM

Below: TrueHD into LPCM by TMT

Below: DTS HD Master passthrough

Lilo loves my HTPC ... ^_^
post #827 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnfr View Post

I noticed that TMT only stutters when in full screen mode. Mind you it is even worse when you try it from within Media Center.

I am also using the 175 driver - I was debating about trying one of the later betas 179? But decided not to risk it last night

I posted on the Asus forum about the missing 1080p24, so hopefully they sort it out soon.

Well decided to try the Beta 177 drivers and Voila! TMT now plays Fullscreen and nowhere near as much judder only slight now, 24hz was selectable in the resolution tab but for some reason it will not let me apply it.

I think the Xonar card is somehoe interfering with the graphics when it should infact just let them pass through and just add audio.
post #828 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusg View Post

From my desk research that sounds like good advice. Personally I want to have the option of upgrading my opamps (and also want to go the analog route from my PCI only HTPC) and was starting to focus on the cheaper Auzentech X-Plosion cards. Only now I discover that as these cards are based on the C-media CMI8770 and not the CMI8788 (as the Xonar D2 is even though Asus rebranded it) and that they don't go all the way up to 24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback but 'only' 8CH 24bit/96kHz.

Now my question is (hope someone is still with me, AngelEyes?): as DTS-HD MA goes all the way up to 192kHz can a C-media CMI8770 based card like the X-Plosion handle this? I don't want to buy a soundcard at this point in time and not be able to get the maximum out of any soundtrack that comes my way!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio
"The format supports a maximum of 192kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit depth samples in 2 channels stereo mode, and 24bit/96KHz resolution in multichannel mode with up to 8 channels.

TrueHD and DTS-HA MA both cap out at 24/96 for surround. 24/192 is 2 ch only.

And a lot of people in this thread seem to be confused about frequency and sample rate. From my understanding (I did a lot of wiki reading when first investigating hi def audio), 24/192 means 24bit frequency sampling (meaning 8 more bits of only dogs can hear it frequencies) and 192k sample rate (which means that the DAC is emitting a sound sample 4 times as often as on a conventional CD, this makes a warmer more analog sound--sound waves are smoother, less pixelated.)

Here's the wikipedia page discussing sample rate for those that may be confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate
post #829 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplift1 View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio
"The format supports a maximum of 192kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit depth samples in 2 channels stereo mode, and 24bit/96KHz resolution in multichannel mode with up to 8 channels.

TrueHD and DTS-HA MA both cap out at 24/96 for surround. 24/192 is 2 ch only.

And a lot of people in this thread seem to be confused about frequency and sample rate. From my understanding (I did a lot of wiki reading when first investigating hi def audio), 24/192 means 24bit frequency sampling (meaning 8 more bits of only dogs can hear it frequencies) and 192k sample rate (which means that the DAC is emitting a sound sample 4 times as often as on a conventional CD, this makes a warmer more analog sound--sound waves are smoother, less pixelated.)

Here's the wikipedia page discussing sample rate for those that may be confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate

You are off

Think of it like a speaker.

The bit depth describes the excursion of the speaker.
The sample rate describes the number of times a second the speaker CAN oscillate.

so 111111111111111111111111 is the biggest excursion, and 000000000000000000000000 is no excursion in 24 bit audio. If you pack those every other sample in 96khz audio you produce a 48khz wave as need a max an min sample to produce 1 cycle.

As far as how smooth the wave is, that's the problem of the DAC. This is why you can have amazing sound quality from 16/44.1 CD sound, and really mediocre 24/96 PC audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the wikipage View Post

The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem states that perfect reconstruction of a signal is possible when the sampling frequency is greater than twice the maximum frequency of the signal being sampled,[2] or equivalently, that the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate) exceeds the highest frequency of the signal being sampled. If lower sampling rates are used, the original signal's information may not be completely recoverable from the sampled signal.

For example, if a signal has an upper band limit of 100 Hz, a sampling frequency greater than 200 Hz will avoid aliasing and allow theoretically perfect reconstruction.

That perfect reconstruction is the realm of the DAC, not the digitial data.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #830 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Does anyone know if the Asus will take an external A/V device like the HDMI output of the cable box and pass it through the Asus to the monitor? Will it go through without any (software) processing or would you be able to use the software processing, EQ, etc? Will it pass through with the HDMI audio intact?

What I'm trying to figure out is how to build a HTPC preamp/switcher. The only thing I've come up with so far is to use my Oppo HDMI switcher with the output of the video card going to one input and of it along with the cable box and Xbox HDMI outputs in to it. The output from the Oppo switcher going to the input of the Asus HDAV1.3 audio card. Would this work? Could someone try plugging an HDMI output from a cable box or stand alone disc player to see what happens?

If it just passes through untouched that would be fine but I'm hoping that processing could be done on the signal. Wither that's audio only or audio and video is what I would like to know.

I've read the manual and I understand how to plug and analog and/or digital SPDIF in to the board put nothing is covered on this HDMI area.

If there is a better way to create a HTPC that will do this switching please let me know. I'm wavering between this card or something like it acting as a server/preamp in a new from scratch build and going straight into my amps or getting a new Emotiva UMC-1 processor and just building a HTPC source unit. On choice "B" I wouldn't need the analog card. Just HDMI bitstream to the Emotiva. Any ideas would help!

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #831 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11
uplift1 wrote:

Quote:

a lot of people in this thread seem to be confused about frequency and sample rate. From my understanding (I did a lot of wiki reading when first investigating hi def audio), 24/192 means 24bit frequency sampling (meaning 8 more bits of only dogs can hear it frequencies)

24 bit refers to the length of the digital word. It does not refer to sample rate or frequency.

Increasing sample rate during analog to digital conversion does not

Quote:

makes a warmer more analog sound--sound waves are smoother, less pixelated.)

It increases the maximum frequency that can be represented in the digital audio.

By using a higher sample rate, required filtering takes place at higher frequencies. All filters introduce non-linearities. By having this filtering at a much higher frequency than the human ear can register, the effects of these non-linearities is minimized.

In The Master Handbook of Acoustics, (4th edition), F.Alton Everest writes," In spite of vigorous research activities on all aspects of human hearing, our knowledge is still woefully incomplete."

This is especially true when it comes to our understanding of the mechanisms of human hearing above the highest frequency we can 'hear'; 20,000 hertz.

In The Complete Guide to High-End Audio, Robert Harley writes,"One mechanism, however, by which today's digital audio degrades musical quality is too low a sampling frequency. Although the upper limit of hearing is 20,000 Hz, ... research has shown that increasing the bandwidth from 20,000 Hz to 40,000 Hz improves musical reproduction. Although we can't hear 40,000 Hz sine waves, removing energy above 20,000 Hz from the signal reduces the music's sense of openness, transient attack, and natural quality."

So,below are some digital audio basics. Hopefully this will clear up some of these misconceptions.

I suggest that anyone interested in home theater and music reproduction read both of these references.

Everest's masterwork contains a wealth of information on sound, how it is perceived and how to improve (or design from the ground up) a room for home theater or music reproduction.

Harley's book has an appendix with a description of digital audio basics.

Sound energy in air is actually air pressure compression and rarefaction. Sounds change as these pressures change. In analog audio sound pressure is transduced (converted from one form of energy to a different form) by microphones or instrument pickups into AC current.

Analog audio to digital audio conversion takes this alternating current electrical signal and converts it to binary data. This is done by measuring (sampling) the voltage (which is a model of the audio's amplitude) of the electrical signal at a very high rate.

This is the basic way in which linear PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) digital audio is converted from an analog electrical signal.

Linear PCM is the data format output by CD, DVD-Audio,
Dolby True HD (after conversion from bitstream), DD Plus (after conversion from bitstream), and DTS MA (after conversion from bitstream).

It doesn't matter where the conversion from the native file format of the medium takes place. Whether Dolby True HD or DTS MA Lossless is converted in the player or by a receiver or separate preamplifier/processor, it is converted to PCM.

PCM is specified by:

word length (unit = digital bits) at sample rate (unit = cycles per second or Hz).

This is the data format of PCM audio.

The word length specifies the maximum number of possible amplitude variations (think volume levels), sampled from the audio's analog electrical signal.

The sample rate specifies the number of these variations which are measured in one second.

The standard for CD is 16 bit word length / 44,100 sample rate. 16 bit word lengths means that CD has a maximum of to 2 to the 16th power ( = 65536) possible amplitude variations.

Sample rate effects the highest possible frequency that can be modeled in analog to digital conversion. The Nyquist Theorem essentially limits the highest possible frequency in the converted digital word to one half of the sample rate. Filtering requirements in practice further limits the highest frequency that can be represented.

So for CD, the theoretically highest frequency audio that can be represented by the digital word, is 1/2 of 44,100 = 22,050 Hertz.

In practice, filtering requirements lowers this maximum frequency to a little more than 20,000 hertz. Since the filtering frequency range is close to the limit of human hearing's frequency response, filtering can cause detrimental effects on the sound output.

The first CD players suffered badly from these effects. Designs soon incorporated 'oversampling' to move the filtering to much higher frequency ranges to limit these effects.

DVD-Audio with 5.1 channels standard is 24 bit / 96 Khz sample rate. So for 24 bit PCM there are 2 to the 24th power (= 16,777,216 possible levels) at a (theoretical) highest frequency of 48,000 hertz.

In stereo (2 channel audio), the DVD-Audio standard provides for 24 bit / 192,000 sample rate audio.

The new (lossless compression) audio codecs (encode / decode) used in Blu Ray discs (Dolby Ture HD and DTS Master Audio Lossless), also output 24/96 (for up to 7.1 audio) or 24 /192 for stereo. In fact, these limits are due to limitations of the disc, not the codec.

DD+ uses a lossy compression scheme. I haven't seen a specification of its PCM output. Dolby's web site does say that DD+ has maximum data bandwidth rate of up to 6.144 Mbit/s (megabits per second).

In comparison, Dolby True HD has a maximum data bandwidth rate of 18 Mbit/s.

I expect Dolby True HD to become ubiquitous. It will eventually be used in broadcast television and radio, and also packaged music media, replacing the CD, SACD and DVD-Audio formats.

This change may come much sooner than expected. Recently DirecTV and Dish announced they will soon provide some 1080p video. Both are touting 'Blu Ray' quality. So True HD is bound to follow.

And music only Blu Ray disc albums are starting to be released. Neil Young and Warner Music Group will be releasing his entire catalog on Blu Ray with True HD soundtracks. The first batch is due in the next month or two.

That's why I am watching for an audio card that decodes and/or bitstreams these new codecs.

Finally, there are also misconceptions about audible differences between higher word lengths and sample rates.

I own a small recording studio. I also have a high end audio system. I can hear huge differences between 16 bit and 24 bit audio recordings I have made. I can also hear subtle, but quite audible differences between 48,000 sample rates and 96,000 sample rates. I can even hear very subtle, but definitely audible differences between 96,000 and 192,000 sample rates.

It is my experience that increasing word length has more impact on sound quality than increasing sample rate. However, there seems to be a limit to the benefits of increasing both of these parameters past 24 bit/ 192 khz. The law of diminishing returns starts to rear its head.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a 54 year old. Two years ago, tests revealed that I had a measured upper frequency limit around 18,000 hz. That makes my ears quite unusual. After the average person reaches the age of 30, the upper limit is usually around 16,000 hz.

Having said that, my 84 year old father, who has measured hearing loss especially in the mid-band where it makes it somewhat difficult for him to discern speech, can sometimes hear small differences between 16/44.1 and 24/96 audio. So don't dismiss the benefits of high bit rate and sample rate audio as only the purview of dogs.

While my behavior has sometimes been described in terms that could be seen as for the dogs, I assure you I am actually 100% human.

I hope this information will be helpful.
post #832 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well decided to try the Beta 177 drivers and Voila! TMT now plays Fullscreen and nowhere near as much judder only slight now, 24hz was selectable in the resolution tab but for some reason it will not let me apply it.

I think the Xonar card is somehoe interfering with the graphics when it should infact just let them pass through and just add audio.

I believe the Xonar card has video chip that is "supposed" to improve the picture. Anyway, it is possible to just run a cable from the video card directly to your display and then run a HDMI cable from the Xonar to your receiver for bitstreaming? I am thinking this is what I may do if it is possible.
post #833 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 163
thanks scratch, very well put.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #834 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I believe the Xonar card has video chip that is "supposed" to improve the picture. Anyway, it is possible to just run a cable from the video card directly to your display and then run a HDMI cable from the Xonar to your receiver for bitstreaming? I am thinking this is what I may do if it is possible.

I believe that myAV was able to do this at first, but newer drivers required he have a video connection in order to output audio. Hopefully it was just a driver problem as opposed to an intentional decision.
post #835 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I don't see why that would pose a problem.
I now send my video straight from my ATI Radeon 3850 through HDMI to my 1080p Plasma Screen and the audio from a (not to good) audio card through SPdif to my Onkyo since (arguable, true) the image straight from my video card is imho better than processed through the Onkyo (even if it's "untouched").
So when I get this puppy (if....so far I'm not impressed) I still will send my video straight to my screen and audio from the Xonar to my Onkyo. I don't see any problem there. If anyone does, i like to know.
post #836 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

It was said that the HDAV 1.3 needs a video signal and will not operate just with a audio signal. There may be a work around but this is a bit of a bummer for some: LINK
post #837 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

It was said that the HDAV 1.3 needs a video signal and will not operate just with a audio signal. There may be a work around but this is a bit of a bummer for some: LINK

Thanks for the link, I must have some how missed that post.
post #838 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

Here is what I do for the moment. I bought an HDMI switch box with 1 input and 4 outputs and then I plugged in the HDMI cable from the video card to the HDMI box and from the HDMI box one cable to the Xonar's video input and one to the display.This way you can avoid going through the Xonar if you have video issues. You can't use a dual output graphics card since TMT doesn't allow two video connections at the same time due to HDCP.This is a driver related issue and let's give Asus some time to fix this. BTW, The following issues will be fixed soon.

1.TMT downsampling.
2.Vista drivers for bitstreaming.
3.TMT time limitation (15 days trial).
4.TrueHD bitstreaming.
post #839 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

Here is what I do for the moment. I bought an HDMI switch box with 1 input and 4 outputs and then I plugged in the HDMI cable from the video card to the HDMI box and from the HDMI box one cable to the Xonar's video input and one to the display.This way you can avoid going through the Xonar if you have video issues. You can't use a dual output graphics card since TMT doesn't allow two video connections at the same time due to HDCP.This is a driver related issue and let's give Asus some time to fix this. BTW, The following issues will be fixed soon.

1.TMT downsampling.
2.Vista drivers for bitstreaming.
3.TMT time limitation (15 days trial).
4.TrueHD bitstreaming.

So will the card HDAV eventually support sending blank video with the audio to permit it to be used in situations where the displays resolution is not compatible with the Preamp ?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #840 of 9539 Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

So will the card HDAV eventually support sending blank video with the audio to permit it to be used in situations where the displays resolution is not compatible with the Preamp ?

- Rich

I hope so. That's what Asus promised back in July.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page