*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9511 of 9539 Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Found detailed pictures of the Xonar ST and STX...STX does not do analog 7.1...no H6 daughtercard header...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Still issues with getting surround to work properly on this card. Ready to hang it up with this one..Couple of questions first..Has anyone who has had the Xonar HDAV1.3 changed to the Essence ST or STX? Did you have issues with those or not? What are any major differences between the ST and STX(other than one being PCI or PCIe)? Finally any hardware or motherboard compatibility issue...I have a sneaky feeling that the card does not want to play nice on a system with an FM2 motherboard and APU....mad.gifmad.gif
:mad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9539 Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Plugged in the Audigy X-Fi..it just works. Goodbye Xonar, it's been nice fighting(not!) with you........
post #9513 of 9539 Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Out of morbid curiousity, what is the newest mobo/chipset/cpu combo those of you that have a properly working HDAV1.3 working on? The two setups i have tried are an, (A) Asrock FM2A85X Extreme 6 with A8-5600APU, and (B) Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 with FX-8350CPU. When these cards first came out the Mobos were either AMD7XX chipsets or nvidia for socket AM2/AM2+ or whatever chipset was used on Intel cpus circa 2008.....
post #9514 of 9539 Old 03-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mine works in both the fm1, fm2 and z77 systems I've tested it in. Which channels aren't working?
post #9515 of 9539 Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mainly front left and right will only output source material. Using windows speaker setup- the surround will output the tones on my 5.1 speaker set albeit 1/2 the time it gets side and rear mixed up. the closest (though not working completely correct) was using UniXonar 1.71 with the C-Media control panel....any install of the Asus or UniXonar drivers and using the Asus control panel still will not let me select other than 2 channel or headphone. I don't want to think that the card is bad..but it is looking that way. In looking up info on other forums, this sound card has been the bane of many and there have been many post also referring to info from Asus that this card did not play well with some chipsets (mostly AMD 7xx and 8xx series) due the way they handled pci to pcie bridging........ Have a Abit P35E mobo sitting gathering dust that i'm gonna try to get up and running to give it one more try before flinging it...or selling off the whole FM2 setup and buying a A/V receiver.......biggrin.gif
post #9516 of 9539 Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

This card is fubar....Tried it on an lga775 and lga1366 setup, still no analog surround output no matter whickh drivers, ASUS or UniXonar..............as they would say in my neighborhood, CRAP!!mad.gif
post #9517 of 9539 Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Is the cable to the daughter card damaged? how about the pins?
post #9518 of 9539 Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Pins appear perfect(looked with magnifiers for cold solder joints). Cable appears good. Did take shield off to look at board- saw one IC (the one right behind the daughterboard header) that looks a little strange..the outside plastic is quite shiny like it had been exposed to some heat. There seems to bee a blue led that lights on the board when the computer is on, don't know if that is normal or indicates a fault....and again, there is a definite relay click when i select analog or HDMI out...trouble is no way to select anything other than 2 speakers or headphones on the control panel no matter if the audio channel is selected at 6 or 8 XonarCtrl.jpg 80k .jpg file note-picture is from the web just to show selections available on control panel,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Is the cable to the daughter card damaged? how about the pins?
post #9519 of 9539 Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

The blue light is normal. It sounds like the main card isn't 'seeing' the H6.
post #9520 of 9539 Old 03-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

With the daughtercard in place, does the Xonar have 'jack sensing' like other sound cards??
Quote:

The blue light is normal. It sounds like the main card isn't 'seeing' the H6.
post #9521 of 9539 Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Not that I can gather.
post #9522 of 9539 Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well, i have got it working-kinda ..sorta...... Installed a b@@7leg Vista Ultamate had lying around...With UniXonar 1.72 i can get 5.1 channels only if i select 8ch in the C-Media control panel. The daughtercard output are working for the analog outs for Center/Sub/RrRt/RrLt; the side surround stil comes from the front L/R pair when i run speaker test either in the windows or C-Media controls...The Xonar panel will still only allow 2 speaker....a small victory....But this only works in Vista, still no go on the 7Ult or 8.1 systems.....eek.gif BTW:64 bit OS' all
post #9523 of 9539 Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

You have to run test mode in win 64 for the unified because they aren't certified. There are instructions at the site.
vcrpro3 likes this.
post #9524 of 9539 Old 03-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

I 'spose i'll give 'er one more try:D
Quote:

You have to run test mode in win 64 for the unified because they aren't certified. There are instructions at the site.
post #9525 of 9539 Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

After i posted this, tried a movie in Arcsoft TMT6,...Sound played during disc intro....went away when i started the movie...confused.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Well, i have got it working-kinda ..sorta...... Installed a b@@7leg Vista Ultamate had lying around...With UniXonar 1.72 i can get 5.1 channels only if i select 8ch in the C-Media control panel. The daughtercard output are working for the analog outs for Center/Sub/RrRt/RrLt; the side surround stil comes from the front L/R pair when i run speaker test either in the windows or C-Media controls...The Xonar panel will still only allow 2 speaker....a small victory....But this only works in Vista, still no go on the 7Ult or 8.1 systems.....eek.gif BTW:64 bit OS' all
post #9526 of 9539 Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Test mode tried, no go....guess i'll part this computer out for money to buy an A/V receiver of some sort...tired of fighting with it........
post #9527 of 9539 Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Liked: 10

hi All,

I just got Xonar HDAV deluxe and using it quite well. However, there are some concerns i would like to ask for help as below:

1) I am using TMT 6 and PowerDVD 14 to play Bluray iso. As my receiver doesn't have HDMI, I use analog out put of Xonar connect to AVR. The question is analog output is the real DTS-HD MA  or downsample??

2) PowerDVD can play well with Xonar like TMT or not?

thanks.

post #9528 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm whether the HDAV can bitstream HD audio in MPC-HC without having to change to the TMT audio renderer? i.e. Can any random player now bitstream HD audio through the HDAV? I have the Auzentech HTHD and only PowerDVD can bitstream HD audio.
post #9529 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko853 View Post
hi All,

I just got Xonar HDAV deluxe and using it quite well. However, there are some concerns i would like to ask for help as below:

1) I am using TMT 6 and PowerDVD 14 to play Bluray iso. As my receiver doesn't have HDMI, I use analog out put of Xonar connect to AVR. The question is analog output is the real DTS-HD MA  or downsample??

2) PowerDVD can play well with Xonar like TMT or not?

thanks.
If your sound card supports HD audio bistreaming, then even the analog output is full range and not downsampled to 48/16. Even non-HDMI cards now days are allowed to output full range audio from PowerDVD such as the Sound Blaster Z series. Older analog sound cards will only receive downsampled audio though.
post #9530 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

I have the HDAV1.3 also but do not use digital out. I am connected directly to a Marantz 5ch power amp. Using TMT6, when the intro/menu audio comes up (using the info display) if the audio is in DD 2 or six channel, i get analog output on all channels..once the main movie comes up and the audio is in either Dolby True HD or DTS HD, the audio drops out completely (card not able apparently able to decode and convert audio). However, using either PowerDvd 14 or Windvd Pro 11, when the info display shows either HD surround formats, i do get surround multi channel analog out. In my case, the HDAV1.3 is not playing well with TMT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
If your sound card supports HD audio bistreaming, then even the analog output is full range and not downsampled to 48/16. Even non-HDMI cards now days are allowed to output full range audio from PowerDVD such as the Sound Blaster Z series. Older analog sound cards will only receive downsampled audio though.
post #9531 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
I have the HDAV1.3 also but do not use digital out. I am connected directly to a Marantz 5ch power amp. Using TMT6, when the intro/menu audio comes up (using the info display) if the audio is in DD 2 or six channel, i get analog output on all channels..once the main movie comes up and the audio is in either Dolby True HD or DTS HD, the audio drops out completely (card not able apparently able to decode and convert audio). However, using either PowerDvd 14 or Windvd Pro 11, when the info display shows either HD surround formats, i do get surround multi channel analog out. In my case, the HDAV1.3 is not playing well with TMT6
The card doesn't decode anything. The player has to decode the audio. It decides whether to downsample on not based on whether the card support PAP. Looks like TMT is broken.
post #9532 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Probably par for the course....The TMT3 disc i got with the card would never run after install (had the same problem with TMT3 versions that were bundled with drives) on OSs from XP to 8.1, 32 and 64 bit versions...i think despite the raves i've seen from some, it is a immature product. It is not my system and TMT that is the problem as a couple of friends let me put the card in their systems with same result....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
The card doesn't decode anything. The player has to decode the audio. It decides whether to downsample on not based on whether the card support PAP. Looks like TMT is broken.
post #9533 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

BTW; This cards own software, Xonar HDAV Center has never worked correctly (tried all released versions that were released after the original that came with it)...in the analog out(speaker configuration) dropdown box, i only get the choice of 2 speakers or headphones, i have to use UniXonar drivers and a C-Media control panel to get surround output......
post #9534 of 9539 Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Maybe it's damaged and not detecting the daughterboard correctly. Also, if you don't need HDMI the Sound Blaster Z is the best sound card. The drivers are amazing. Absolutely flawless on Windows 8.1 with no bugs, crashes, crackling or anything unlike the X-Fi.
post #9535 of 9539 Old 07-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

What analog audio output capability/quality (if any) would i lose with a Xonar Essence St vs. The Xonar HDAV1.3 again??. Played around with the 'Splendid HD' feature of the card over the past couple of days, whatever advantages it may have had on displays of 2008 actually produce a degraded visual experience coupled with more recent video cards and displays....the only reason i am putting this effort in this is that i pretty much 'stole' it @ $70.00 with H6 daughtercard....
I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty card that i have tested,...has horrible background hiss during idle and quiesscent audio passages. Totally unusable for a hi fidelity HTPC....

Last edited by vcrpro3; 07-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #9536 of 9539 Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM

Quote:
I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty card that i have tested,...has horrible background hiss during idle and quiesscent audio passages. Totally unusable for a hi fidelity HTPC....
Sounds like a defect or electrical problem somewhere. I have never heard ANY sound card hiss or produce any noise except on-board audio. Either way I'd totally recommend a Sound Blaster Zx with the headphone ACM over anything if you need an analog sound card. It's that good. The drivers are that good.
post #9537 of 9539 Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

I am a hardware 'freak'. I love to play with any hardware component i can get my hands on for 'on the cheap'...my focus is on audio quality in the analog domain. Currently, the sound out to a power amp (Marantz MM9000, Mirage Omni 350/Omni 150/Omnisat V2. CC) is approaching that of a dedicated AVR. Want to play around with a more up to date soundcard with less buggy software than the HDAV1.3 (i can only get the proper speaker selection/options using a CMedia control panel/software) The Creative ZX is of interest because despite the background noise problem of the X-Fi card, the contol panel of its software is quite nice.... I have been playing around with TV tuner cards recently also...
post #9538 of 9539 Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I am a hardware 'freak'. I love to play with any hardware component i can get my hands on for 'on the cheap'...my focus is on audio quality in the analog domain. Currently, the sound out to a power amp (Marantz MM9000, Mirage Omni 350/Omni 150/Omnisat V2. CC) is approaching that of a dedicated AVR. Want to play around with a more up to date soundcard with less buggy software than the HDAV1.3 (i can only get the proper speaker selection/options using a CMedia control panel/software) The Creative ZX is of interest because despite the background noise problem of the X-Fi card, the contol panel of its software is quite nice.... I have been playing around with TV tuner cards recently also...
I currently have a Marantz SR5008 and I had connected it via HDMI through my Auzentech X-Fi HTHD. However the card is abandoned so that's why I was interested in the HDAV, but it seems buggy and broken too.

I am now considering putting back my Sound Blaster Zx to use the analog outputs and using my SR5008 as just a power amplifier. HDMI has lots of problems like the screen flickering on and off each time you switch on the receiver, taking time to switch between bitstreaming and PCM, the first few seconds of sounds getting cut off, speaker configuration getting reset EVERY SINGLE TIME I START MY PC. It's such a nuisance.

The problem with using analog is you can't use Audyssey for room correction. Room correction makes a day and night difference and I will never use a system without it ever again. If I use analog I'll have to purchase Dirac Live which is superior to the Audyssey MultEQ XT version in my receiver. However I'm concerned about it introducing latency, and the virtual audio device it creates doesn't support OpenAL or EAX. I could layer Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 3 on to of it for the few games that use OpenAL but that would limit the frequency to 48 kHz.
post #9539 of 9539 Old Yesterday, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

I am playing with the PC just to see how far i can can go in building a computer based Pre/Pro like substitute with focus on quality sound from CD, DVD, Blu-Rays and FM audio. I also have 3 AVRs, also acquired 'on the cheap' an Onkyo TX-NR809, Yamaha RX-V863 and a Pioneer VSX-1120k, so that aspect of home entertainment is well covered..though i am still waiting for a smoking hot deal on one of the Oppo universal players to show up.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page