*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 319 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9541 of 9551 Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From yesterday's nVidia update, the HDMI audio device no longer disables when switching off the receiver. The display disables, but the audio device remains enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9551 Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mediamonkey and ASUS XONAR HDAV 1.3dlx

Now this got me thinking, Using Mediamonkey, you choose the audio output and you have three choices. Mediamonkey DirectSound, Medimonkey WASAPI and WAV.

WASAPI causes me all kind of problems, skipping, silence garbage.

So the question is this, using Mediamonkey DirectSound with Windows 7 and the ASUS XONAR 1.3 installed. Am I using the processing capability of the ASUS HDAV or sending the signal first through Windows crap and then the ASUS HDAV ,then I'm not getting bit perfect sounds which was the whole point of getting the ASUS HDAV?

I've tried installing ASIO4ALL and with limited success. I don't get 5.1 sound on all ASIO.dll drivers.

So a media application has to be able to select the XONAR I would presume to utilize it. Either WASAPI or ASIO.

And has anyone tried the UNIdriver upgrades for the ASUS XONAR?
post #9543 of 9551 Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Now this got me thinking, Using Mediamonkey, you choose the audio output and you have three choices. Mediamonkey DirectSound, Medimonkey WASAPI and WAV.

So the question is this, using Mediamonkey DirectSound with Windows 7 and the ASUS XONAR 1.3 installed. Am I using the processing capability of the ASUS HDAV or sending the signal first through Windows crap and then the ASUS HDAV ,then I'm not getting bit perfect sounds which was the whole point of getting the ASUS HDAV?

I've tried installing ASIO4ALL and with limited success. I don't get 5.1 sound on all ASIO.dll drivers.

So a media application has to be able to select the XONAR I would presume to utilize it. Either WASAPI or ASIO.

WASAPI exclusive mode is bit-perfect from the Windows side. However it is possible for the driver or sound card to resample the audio. You have to use the HDMI playback device (not the Speakers playback device) and WASAPI exclusive mode. This will result in the player passing bit-perfect audio to the sound card driver. Windows will not touch the audio. The sound card or the driver may internally resample the audio but there is nothing you can do about this.

Both the HTHD and the Xonar HDAV natively support ASIO which should be bit perfect through the entire Windows + driver chain. The HTHD has a bit-matched mode which must be enabled. Ironically you have to use the Speakers playback device for this but there should be no additional processing in ASIO mode. The audio will be output as 8 channel PCM through the HDMI port.

The HDAV was never designed for bit-perfect audio. It was designed to digitise your typical PC analog output into HDMI (it also has analog output ports). The HTHD has a bit-matched mode in Audio Creation Mode where it *should* keep it bit-perfect through out till the HDMI port.
post #9544 of 9551 Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM

More crazy pills...

Okay, so lets step back and take a deep breath. The purpose of getting my ASUS XONAR HDAV card was to realize HI-FI, audiophile grade sound from my Windows 7/64 bit system using Mediamonkey either in WASAPI, ASIO, Direct to my Pioneer SC-27 and then out to my Klipsch LA-SCALA'S.

BUT according to AVS/AIX High-Resolution Audio Test: Ready, Set, Go! This is how to setup a HI-FI audiophile grade sound from Windows 7/64 bit.

That laptop don't have no ASUS XONAR HDAV in it and it certainly don't have Burr Brown 192kHz/24-bit analog-to-digital converters and Wolfson WM8740 192kHz/24-bit DACs like in my SC-27.

So it seems to have HI-FI audiophile grade sound from Windows 7/64 bit system, I just need to run the sound any ole way to my SC-27 and viola-I have a HI-FI audiophile grade sound from Windows 7/64 bit system!

I got this from:

AVS/AIX High-Resolution Audio Test: Ready, Set, Go!

So let the ripping begin.

Dave
post #9545 of 9551 Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

"And has anyone tried the UNIdriver upgrades for the ASUS XONAR?"
I have an HDAV1.3 Deluxe and the UniXonar drivers are the only ones that make the card work correctly for me....

Last edited by vcrpro3; 08-20-2014 at 12:04 AM.
post #9546 of 9551 Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Why yes I have and did so just yesterday. I had to run Windows 7/64 bit in the test mode.
But I also had the last XONAR drivers from ASUS working in windows 7/64 bit. Is it better? I personally don't hear a difference.
post #9547 of 9551 Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BTW, How is the SLIM version of this card for gaming?
post #9548 of 9551 Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_real_leSLIe View Post
BTW, How is the SLIM version of this card for gaming?
The slim version is PCI card so avoid it at all costs. There is really no need to get these anymore unless you have a specific requirement such as not being able to use GPU HDMI.
post #9549 of 9551 Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
The slim version is PCI card so avoid it at all costs. There is really no need to get these anymore unless you have a specific requirement such as not being able to use GPU HDMI.
That or the PCIe Deluxe version. Will the GPU HDMI (Amd 290X) will be able to get me DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD?
post #9550 of 9551 Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
A voice of reason perhaps.

My thought is, say your using WASAPI or ASIO. Does it matter what sound card your using when hooked up to very good DAC. Regardless how your out putting the source. Aren't you bypassing essentially everything int the computer?

I'm talking strictly audiophile stereo/SACD perhaps.

This insane asylum is killing me.
post #9551 of 9551 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Both the HDAV Slim and HDAV1.3 Deluxe hit the market when most video cards did not have HDMI outputs and gave the user that connection with quality multichannel digital audio. Most vid cards today offer HDMI out making them obselete. I tested my HDAV1.3 cards video processing capability(Asus Splendid Video) using the DVI connection on my GTX650Ti and the picture quality was a downgrade from what was output on the cards own HDMI out...I am only using the HDAV1.3 analog audio outputs anyway...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page