*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9571 of 9582 Old 10-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The board is very modern, it is an Asrock FM2A85X Exteme 6. For the video, it just seems to run much smoother with the HD6670 as the primary graphics adapter rather than the integrated Radeon HD70xx gpu. I have had nothing but problems with TotalMedia Theater, am using PowerDvd 14. With TotalMedia theater (ver.5 and Ver.6, the total media 3 that came with the card never installed properly at all) all analog audio disappeared once a BluRay disc that was in Dolby true HD or DTS MA was played. In that system though, on the analog side, the Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe provides vastly superior analog audio over the Realtek ALC889 analog outs (fed into a Marantz 5 channel power amp and Mirage Omni series speakers)...will be futzing around with it this evening..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
I have the HDAV1.3 Slim in my old PC with a Radeon HD4670 AGP HDMI card (no AGP cards can bitstream TrueHD/DTS MA, hence the Xonar). Anyway, I'm assuming your Deluxe will work the same as the Slim via HDMI. Bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS MA and lossy DD/DTS will be no problem if you use TotalMedia Theatre, but, all other formats will depend on how you set up the Xonar control panel. That is, if you set up 192 KHz 7.1 channel with the Xonar control panel all PCM sources, including stereo, will be 192 KHz 7.1 channel.

There is a work-around for stereo music. You set your music player's sound device to Xonar HDAV1.3 S/PDIF WASAPI (even though you're really using HDMI) and then 44.1, 48, 96, and 192 KHz stereo will be bit-perfect. 88.2 gets resampled to 96 and 176.4 gets resampled to 192 KHz. While that isn't ideal to my ears the resampling is totally transparent.

That being said I would save myself the headache and just use your GPU or APU. In my more modern PCs I just use HDMI via Intel HD4600 integrated graphics and everything is bit-perfect, regardless of codec and/or channels.

Last edited by vcrpro3; 10-29-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 9582 Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To HDMI or DVI from video card

Okay, so I like using the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 DLX instead of just using the HDMI out on the video card. Spendid works watching dvd's or video from the computer. I have easy access to a EQ for those occasional songs that hit a sour note. I don't play blu ray through my computer.

Now the real question, according to the instructions, I should be able to use either the DVI or HDMI of the video card to the back of the ASUS Xonar HDAV card and it should work. BUT using the HDMI will not work. Plugged in via DVI, it works fine. Or plug in the HDMI directly to my receiver works fine.

My video card is a EVGA GTX 750. Now WTD

Dave
post #9573 of 9582 Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I do not believe that the HDMI from vid card to HDAV1.3 was meant to work correctly as compared to DVI from vid card to HDAV1.3. The HDAV1.3 card was introduced at a time when most video cards only had DVI and VGA outputs and was marketed to give the PC/HTPC user a compatible HDMI output with sound (As i said, the HDAV1.3 came late to the market and some of the higher priced, at the time, video cards started to include the HDMI outputs). ..I just use the analog audio outs on my HDAV1.3 and the video from my video card (NVidia 670 GTX). Also a consideration, going from the HDMI out on your onboard or video card could mess up the sound..The HDAV1.3 Connects to the DVI out to it's own HDMI in and outputs its own audio....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Okay, so I like using the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 DLX instead of just using the HDMI out on the video card. Spendid works watching dvd's or video from the computer. I have easy access to a EQ for those occasional songs that hit a sour note. I don't play blu ray through my computer.

Now the real question, according to the instructions, I should be able to use either the DVI or HDMI of the video card to the back of the ASUS Xonar HDAV card and it should work. BUT using the HDMI will not work. Plugged in via DVI, it works fine. Or plug in the HDMI directly to my receiver works fine.

My video card is a EVGA GTX 750. Now WTD

Dave

Last edited by vcrpro3; 09-20-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #9574 of 9582 Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Just purchased the HDAV1.3 Slim

And probably made a terrible mistake. (at least I got it at half price)

Because I wanted HDMI audio without having to mirror my video (I use DVI dual link for 120hz). And now I realize that if I have to enable mirror I do not need the xonar at all!

Is there anyway to do this? I even tried to find a small "black screen generator" and couldn't! The cheapest I found was a miracast dongle, which seems overkill and I am not even sure it would work.

Peharps though the jumpers on the board (J11 and perhaps J12). Anyone know what are they for? I couldn't find information about them anywhere!

Thanks (and I am sorry if I did not look hard enough in this thread for these info but I really couldn't find them)

Last edited by rafael.eti.br; 05-25-2016 at 09:50 AM.
post #9575 of 9582 Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael.eti.br View Post
And probably made a terrible mistake. (at least I got it at half price)

Because I wanted HDMI audio without having to mirror my video (I use DVI dual link for 120hz). And now I realize that if I have to enable mirror I do not need the xonar at all!

Is there anyway to do this? I even tried to find a small "black screen generator" and couldn't! The cheapest I found was a miracast dongle, which seems overkill and I am not even sure it would work.

Peharps though the jumpers on the board (J11 and perhaps J12). Anyone know what are they for? I couldn't find information about them anywhere!

Thanks (and I am sorry if I did not look hard enough in this thread for these info but I really couldn't find them)
I used a VGA to HDMI converter to generate a dummy signal for the sound card's HDMI input. It doesn't need any VGA input to generate a HDMI signal. Both the Xonar HDAV and the Hometheater HD require an external HDMI signal.

You cannot mirror properly on Windows 10 anymore. If you mirror a 60 Hz AVR with a 120 Hz monitor, the Windows desktop animations lag and run only at 60 fps even though the monitor is running at 120 Hz natively. Games and other applications can run at 120 fps, but the Windows desktop animations are capped at the refresh rate of the slowest monitor. In my case for my 2560x1440 144 Hz monitor, the AVR could only do 24 Hz and the Windows desktop was unusable. It worked fine up to Windows 8.1.

In the end I bought an AVR with 7.1 analog inputs (Marantz SR5008) and connected it to my Creative Sound Blaster Zx. What a relief that was. My entire PC became faster, and all kinds of random unexplainable problems were solved simply because I disconnected the AVR from HDMI. I'll never use HDMI again. In order to get room correction, I bought Dirac Live for PC since Audyssey MultEQ doesn't work on the 7.1 analog inputs on the AVR.

Last edited by KurianOfBorg; 05-25-2016 at 01:10 AM.
post #9576 of 9582 Old 05-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
I used a VGA to HDMI converter to generate a dummy signal for the sound card's HDMI input. It doesn't need any VGA input to generate a HDMI signal. Both the Xonar HDAV and the Hometheater HD require an external HDMI signal.

You cannot mirror properly on Windows 10 anymore. If you mirror a 60 Hz AVR with a 120 Hz monitor, the Windows desktop animations lag and run only at 60 fps even though the monitor is running at 120 Hz natively. Games and other applications can run at 120 fps, but the Windows desktop animations are capped at the refresh rate of the slowest monitor. In my case for my 2560x1440 144 Hz monitor, the AVR could only do 24 Hz and the Windows desktop was unusable. It worked fine up to Windows 8.1.

In the end I bought an AVR with 7.1 analog inputs (Marantz SR5008) and connected it to my Creative Sound Blaster Zx. What a relief that was. My entire PC became faster, and all kinds of random unexplainable problems were solved simply because I disconnected the AVR from HDMI. I'll never use HDMI again. In order to get room correction, I bought Dirac Live for PC since Audyssey MultEQ doesn't work on the 7.1 analog inputs on the AVR.
Thank you very much for the reply. I thougt about something based of in the VGA to HDMI connection but it never occur to me that the adapter it self could be enough.

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet (even though my Windows 8.1 won't shut up about it) exactly because I was afraid of driver instability!

I looked for a AVR with a analog outupt but when I found when it was always a old model and more importantly, expensive. And that looking it up online in American stores, because the options of AVR here in Brazil are very scarce. A half-price HDAV1.3 Slim seemed like a great deal, and I would keep it all digital! So that is why I purchased it.

So far no instability. I hope it keeps this way once I have the courage to update to Windows 10.

Now I going to look for a small and cheap VGA to HDMI adapter.

Again, thanks, very enlightening answer!
post #9577 of 9582 Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael.eti.br View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I thougt about something based of in the VGA to HDMI connection but it never occur to me that the adapter it self could be enough.

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet (even though my Windows 8.1 won't shut up about it) exactly because I was afraid of driver instability!

I looked for a AVR with a analog outupt but when I found when it was always a old model and more importantly, expensive. And that looking it up online in American stores, because the options of AVR here in Brazil are very scarce. A half-price HDAV1.3 Slim seemed like a great deal, and I would keep it all digital! So that is why I purchased it.

So far no instability. I hope it keeps this way once I have the courage to update to Windows 10.

Now I going to look for a small and cheap VGA to HDMI adapter.

Again, thanks, very enlightening answer!
You don't need an AVR. You can buy a cheap 5 channel power amplifier from a no-name brand. The quality is all the same. Just use your sound card for bass management.
post #9578 of 9582 Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
You don't need an AVR. You can buy a cheap 5 channel power amplifier from a no-name brand. The quality is all the same. Just use your sound card for bass management.
The PC is in my main setup. So I need the AVR for the other devices like video-games (and cable when I used to have it).

Plus, I already have it (a Sony STR-DH820 that I managed to grab in a sale).
post #9579 of 9582 Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am in a similar situation as I am building a new 4k gaming pc and would like to use a sound card rather than on board audio and was planning to re-use an old xonar hdav 1.3. Have you tried using the modded unified driver: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Let me know how that works - and if it lets you pass through audio without having to plug in video.
post #9580 of 9582 Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
I am in a similar situation as I am building a new 4k gaming pc and would like to use a sound card rather than on board audio and was planning to re-use an old xonar hdav 1.3. Have you tried using the modded unified driver: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Let me know how that works - and if it lets you pass through audio without having to plug in video.

If you mean for HDMI, then no, it's not possible (without video loop through or an externally generated hdmi signal). As far as I understand, there is no HDMI audio without a video signal.

I used to run an HDAV Deluxe via 8 analogue cables, which is why I bought it (only RCA socketed PCI-E card on the market at the time).

But when I moved to HDMI, I just used one of the video card outputs (and Windows monitor duplication, as it's a dedicated audio connection).

There is no HDMI related reason to use a HDAV card that I can see. It won't work without a video signal and the video cards are now HDCP compliant (the original reason these cards existed). Therefore the HDAV is redundant.

But they are a good 8 channel analogue card, probably going cheap.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #9581 of 9582 Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I've done this, and you need to be careful.

Hum and Hiss can be a real problem when you are running a power amp wide open without a preamp.

Also, the output from the HDAV is HOT, and I found myself using 0-8% of the volume control in the PC. 20% would blow the roof off the house. It's really easy to turn it up by accident...

A 5 or 7 channel amp with attenuators (channel level volume knobs) is a good idea - many older Rotels have it (l have two 6 channel rotels which have attenuators, but the bigger amps don't). You just set them and forget them, but they allow you to use the full range of the PC volume control safely.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #9582 of 9582 Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
The board is very modern, it is an Asrock FM2A85X Exteme 6. For the video, it just seems to run much smoother with the HD6670 as the primary graphics adapter rather than the integrated Radeon HD70xx gpu. I have had nothing but problems with TotalMedia Theater, am using PowerDvd 14. With TotalMedia theater (ver.5 and Ver.6, the total media 3 that came with the card never installed properly at all) all analog audio disappeared once a BluRay disc that was in Dolby true HD or DTS MA was played. In that system though, on the analog side, the Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe provides vastly superior analog audio over the Realtek ALC889 analog outs (fed into a Marantz 5 channel power amp and Mirage Omni series speakers)...will be futzing around with it this evening..
I finally have gotten my xonar hdav1.3 slim card to work flawlessly with windows 8.1 pro with 2 palit 9600 1gb video cards in sli on a asus crosshair v formula mobo with the Avermedia dark crystal hd dvr recorder with 12gb of ddr3 ram. This is now a true Home Theater PC it is connected to a RCA 5.1 hdmi home theater av receiver a advent 2 channel digital powered subwoofer system. For a bonus I added a Instant fm radio usb stick, so I have radio on this bad boy too. The case is a raidmax full size atx, and I almost forgot this thing also has a blue ray burner. HOME THEATER PC COMPLETE, I can't turn it up because it would be too loud for the neighbors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page