Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oltsa555 View Post

Any idea if this card + TMT will decode Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD and send it as multichannel LPCM to receiver via HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronl View Post

hi, can someone confirm that it will not down-rez the audio when using the analogue outs (via the daughter board).

I'm also interested in these two questions.
Moreover I'd like to know how advanced the driver is. Does it include a bass-management when the analogue outs are in use (Crossover frequencies, speaker distances, delays, etc.)?
Thanks in advance, myav!

Regards, nosurrender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 AM

i'm interested too. i think that more or less that's the same question i asked above: can this card work as a preamp (better if a gooood preamp)?and send analog signal to a power amp ? hd lossless signal?
post #183 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had a X-Fi Prelude and even though dacs and op-amps were better than my AV amp - the overall result was not that good .... I think its because as follows ...

Using digital into AV amp

reasonable dac - reasonable/poor op-amp driver - speakers (missing a few bits out of the chain ...)

but using analogue ins into an AV amp you've got

excellent dac - excellent op-amp driver (on soundcard) - reasonable/poor op-amp driver in av- amp

as you can't be better than any-one in the link - the only benefit is the better dac - which isn't a huge difference IMO

massive difference if you go straight into a power amp - but thats another ball-game
post #184 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Do they sell the card without TMT? I already have it

- Rich

It is a special version. There is no confirmation yet that the retail version will work with the card.

I suspect they will merge the two, since it would be a pain to support, update, test, etc., two different versions of the same software.
post #185 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by arttext View Post

Without meaning to offend anyone, but I see a lot of messages here from people with "computer audio setups" (so to speak.) Like someone earlier mentioned, it's a waste of (their) money to buy this card.
It's not about the bitrate, sample rate, watts etc.
To benefit lossless audio the whole chain needs to be a high quality one.
That means an AVR with HDMI in/out capable of basically anything (Dolby HD, DTS HD, HD Master and all the lesser codecs.
That's only the AVR, (1000 U$ and up).
An even more important link in the HD sound chain is the speakers (7 of them plus a subwoofer).
And we're talking at least mid range stuff here, especially for the front en center speakers. A whole set of mediocre (=not high end) quality might set you back another 1000 U$.
Cables? (quality speaker cables and HDMI cables, no wireless sh*t): Another 200 U$.
Need I say more?

My whole point is (again) not to offend anyone but to discourage people spending 200 U$ or more on a card that performs only as well as one's PA system and then complaining that there's no audible difference.
I play my movies (gamers don't neccesarily need this card) on a large 52'' plasma screen with an Onkyo TX-SR875 AVR (mediocre at best), 2x B&O S75 left and right (mediocre again), 1x Tannoy dedicated center speaker (again mediocre), 2x KEF surround (mediocre again) and 2x low end back speakers (worse).
And even I am not sure I will hear the difference between lossy and lossless but I'm willing to give it a try.

My advice is to read this thread about HD audio (and video)issues:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=16079
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/high-def...view-1088.html

as well as threads here on this forum.

I agree that the rest of your system needs to be of high quality in order to make it worthwhile for BD playback. I've been into high end audio going on about 34 years now so quality audio is important to me. I actually backed off of the audio side of things for many years because the hype and cost got to the point where you needed to make a minimum of multiple six figures in order to seriously be in the game. I made the migration to home theater and found another way to spend my money on a hobby, but was able to get more bang for the buck as a result.

I've been a DVR owner and hacker for about 8 years now, ever since the Tivo and ReplayTV's were introduced. I built my first HTPC about 18 months ago and, more recently, an unRAID server. With my DVR backgtround and switch to HDTV plus the abundance of local OTA HD programming, getting into an HTPC was a natural migration for me. I was a fairly early adopter of HD-DVDs and eventually added Blu-Ray into the mix, but only on the PC side. As a result, I store all of my BD disks and HD-DVDs on the unRAID server.

If I have any hope of getting the best audio out of them I need to be able to do it via a PC interface. The Xonar HDAV1.3 is the perfect choice for my setup. I could buy a dedicated BD player but my situation doesn't always allow me to watch BD movies under certain schedule constraints so I need to rip them to the server for later viewing (don't ask).

I recently bought an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P preamp/processor so I already have the front end I need to process the HD audio streams with HDMI 1.3 switching. I'm pretty sure the rest of my system qualifies as fairly high-end (Definitive Technology Mythos one's [front] two's [two pairs for surround and surround back], three [center], all powered by Kenwood L-07M monoblock amps [150wpc rms @ 8 ohms] and a Supercube Reference sub with integrated 1300-watt amp) so I'm just waiting for the HDAV1.3 to become available and complete the system. I also have a couple of S3 Tivos and a standalone HD-DVD player connected to a 60" Sony LcoS RPTV.
post #186 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltsa555 View Post

Hey,

Any idea if this card + TMT will decode Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD and send it as multichannel LPCM to receiver via HDMI?
I'm inteerested in this because my DENON-1908 doesn't have codecs for these new audio formats but it supports multichannel LPCM upto 24/192 or sth.

Or any idea if I can play multichannel 24\\96 audio files (for example lossless flac-rips from DVD-audio discs) with this card + TMT and get them sent to my receiver as multichannel 24/96 LPCM?

Yes, TMT with this card will decode all formats and send it as LPCM with no downsampling

You can play multichannel FLAC with any multichannel LPCM capable hardware, you do not need TMT for that. Try foobar2000 with FLAC and WASAPI plugin (or ASIO if you have XP)
post #187 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

I had a X-Fi Prelude and even though dacs and op-amps were better than my AV amp - the overall result was not that good .... I think its because as follows ...

Using digital into AV amp

reasonable dac - reasonable/poor op-amp driver - speakers (missing a few bits out of the chain ...)

but using analogue ins into an AV amp you've got

excellent dac - excellent op-amp driver (on soundcard) - reasonable/poor op-amp driver in av- amp

as you can't be better than any-one in the link - the only benefit is the better dac - which isn't a huge difference IMO

massive difference if you go straight into a power amp - but thats another ball-game

my ht:
pioneer lx 5090h
htpc (case silverstone cw02/mb asus p5e deluxe/intel quad core 9300/sapphire hd 4850 toxic/enermax modu 82+ 625w, etc..)
front speaker 2 x b&w fpm5
rear 2 x fpm4
center fpm6
sub b&w pv1
here's the question: i'd better take the asus card deluxe + rotel rmb 1077 (class d power amp, without pre amp: the card should make the pre-job)
or choose a complete av processor (denon 3808 or other/any suggestion about?)? i have no space for separate pre and power amp, so i cannot go wrong...
someone can help me?
post #188 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salajm View Post

Yes, TMT with this card will decode all formats and send it as LPCM with no downsampling

You can play multichannel FLAC with any multichannel LPCM capable hardware, you do not need TMT for that. Try foobar2000 with FLAC and WASAPI plugin (or ASIO if you have XP)

OK, great! Thxalot salajm.
One more: Do you know if TMT plays DVD-audio discs (image files) with MLP 5.1 soundtracks? And if it does, will it ignore watermark checking like PowerDVD?
post #189 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Great information!

Can you confirm that you can send just the audio with no HDMI video IN from the Xonar HDMI?

I need this because the native rate of my display is not acceptable to my AVR so I must send the video directly from the graphics card to the display and Audio only from the sound card.

Thanks,

Rich

It is working. You can send video and audio separately. I called Asus this morning and they also confirmed this.But you are going to miss great "Splendid HD" video processor which adds additional definition to the already fine image, More importantly, I didn't notice a degradation in image quality via the HDMI pass-through process on my Optoma HD81 projector.
post #190 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Really glad I haven't purchased TMT yet. That is a nice bonus for buying this card.

myAV, if you get a chance can you please measue the card and let us know how long it is? I am pretty tight on space inside my case and I am hoping that it is not longer than 8 inches.

Thanks

HDMI card is 6.3" while analog one measures 3.3". You must be a happy man, right?
post #191 of 9551 Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

HDMI card is 6.3" while analog one measures 3.3". You must be a happy man, right?

Thank you very much for taking the time to measure. Yes, I am very happy, this is the final piece to my HTPC. I really can't believe I will be able to get everything to fit! Having six hard drives in my Omaura case really made space cramped.

Thanks again for all the great info.
post #192 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurrender View Post

I'm also interested in these two questions.
Moreover I'd like to know how advanced the driver is. Does it include a bass-management when the analogue outs are in use (Crossover frequencies, speaker distances, delays, etc.)?
Thanks in advance, myav!

Regards, nosurrender

The analog card does fullrate lossless audio without downsamling and it has all the advanced features a high end sound card should have.
post #193 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
mmm that doesn't answer the question or not - most of the high end soundcards currently out do not have

proper bass management or
speaker delays in the drivers

Quote:

The analog card does fullrate lossless audio without downsamling and it has all the advanced features a high end sound card should have.

post #194 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

mmm that doesn't answer the question or not - most of the high end soundcards currently out do not have

proper bass management or
speaker delays in the drivers

I didn't install the daughter card, because I wasn't planning to go analog right from the beginning.( If you were at the Asus demo room you wouldn't even think of going analog). BTW,I will recieve updated drivers both from Asus and Arcsoft (DTS-HD MA update) around next friday. (Sep 5th ) then I will give the HDAV H6 a go and report back.
post #195 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:

I didn't install the daughter card, because I wasn't planning to go analog right from the beginning.( If you were at the Asus demo room you wouldn't even think of going analog). BTW,I will recieve updated drivers both from Asus and Arcsoft (DTS-HD MA update) around next friday. (Sep 5th ) then I will give the HDAV H6 a go and report back.

great!!
post #196 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I would bet that you will have access to these earlier than we will. How about taking some order from AVS members? I bet that you would sell quite a few?

Affable Nitwit
post #197 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salajm View Post

are you shure that only with this card TMT will not downsample?!
post #198 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 AM

I found this on the Arcsoft Forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSoft_Jason View Post

You'll need the version bundled with Xonar if you purchase it the day it's released. Since it's a full version, it won't be something stripped down.

I expect this version will be part of the retail code "branch" (x.x.6.x) and integrated into the next retail release too for ease of maintainence but it's possible it will be a custom branch (x.x.N.x) unique to Xonar if there's a need to do so. Either option should be fine for current retail end users--the main difference will be whether ASUS or ArcSoft controls the update schedule.

He also recommends fully uninstalling any retail version you have installed prior to installing the Asus version, just to be on the safe side.
post #199 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

It is working. You can send video and audio separately. I called Asus this morning and they also confirmed this.But you are going to miss great "Splendid HD" video processor which adds additional definition to the already fine image, More importantly, I didn't notice a degradation in image quality via the HDMI pass-through process on my Optoma HD81 projector.

Thank you for confirming this. I will order as soon as they become available.
- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #200 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I would bet that you will have access to these earlier than we will. How about taking some order from AVS members? I bet that you would sell quite a few?

I'm very interested in this card too. I'm from Moscow, Russia and there are some delays with new PC-related staff in Russia. So, I'll be happy if it is possible to order this card from myAV as soon as possible. I can process the payment via the PayPal or any other way. Generally, the price does not matter.

Thanks in advance!
post #201 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 AM

* please use rapidshare *

I think a license which is working with the release now will also work with the Asus Version...and I don´t think it is illegal to use your license with a other version of the one you buyed...I hope...

Greetings Michael
post #202 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:

When you say the Analog one, that is the daughter board right? And you get the full lossless out the 1/8 mini jacks on the daughter board just the same as hooking up HDMI correct? Also you can decode internally on the card or bitstream?
post #203 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingernst View Post

* please use rapidshare *

I think a license which is working with the release now will also work with the Asus Version...and I don´t think it is illegal to use your license with a other version of the one you buyed...I hope...

Greetings Michael

You get a copy with the Asus sound card, which includes the license.
post #204 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 PM

hmm, damn
post #205 of 9551 Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I found this on the Arcsoft Forums:

He also recommends fully uninstalling any retail version you have installed prior to installing the Asus version, just to be on the safe side.

He (Jason) is right. This card doesn't work with the existing version of TMT. It has been designed to go with the bundled version that comes with the card. When I asked Arcsoft about a possible patch for the existing version of TMT yesterday, the answer was "HIGHLY IMPOSSIBLE".

Additional note: For those who are wondering, the worldwide release is not too far. That was the latest I got from Asus a few minutes ago. You guys know that Asus is headquartered in Taiwan so no wonder we have early access to these things. It is just normal and no special privileges or priority
has been given to us.So just hold on. Meanwhile I will do my best to help you regarding the issues with the card.
post #206 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:

...Additional note: For those who are wondering, the worldwide release is not too far. That was the latest I got from Asus a few minutes ago. You guys know that Asus is headquartered in Taiwan so no wonder we have early access to these things. It is just normal and no special privileges or priority
has been given to us.So just hold on. Meanwhile I will do my best to help you regarding the issues with the card.....

I don't need any additional info or answers right now, but only want to say that I highly appreciate your efforts here.

cheers,
knsm-eiland
post #207 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 AM

Agreed!
post #208 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

He (Jason) is right. This card doesn't work with the existing version of TMT. It has been designed to go with the bundled version that comes with the card. When I asked Arcsoft about a possible patch for the existing version of TMT yesterday, the answer was "HIGHLY IMPOSSIBLE".

Yikes, the typical bundled versions has been been put on the back burner.
I sure hope they support it in the mainstream product.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #209 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Yes, thanks for all your assistance / answers much appreciated!
post #210 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

There is an initial review stating that the bundled version of TMT does not play ripped files from an HDD. Please myAV, can you verify this?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page