Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

There is an initial review stating that the bundled version of TMT does not play ripped files from an HDD. Please myAV, can you verify this?

do you have a link to the review?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACZML120 View Post

do you have a link to the review?

Yes, but links to that site are not allowed here.
post #213 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Would you mind sending me the link via PM?
I hope it will at least work with .iso-files!

Regards, nosurrender
post #214 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

Yes, but links to that site are not allowed here.

Err, what site is totally unmentionable? Can you link me the forum rules that identify this banned site?
post #215 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Looks like someone has read the mini review I posted on the other site. Be patient guys, I will post the same review here later today.
post #216 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes it's true no playback from HD with bundled version so says his review on the other site, which frankly makes the entire product worthless lol, figures. I knew it was to good to be true. HTPC's gotta love the BS.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #217 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 PM

This is the exact same review I posted on the other site with some added info.
The long wait is over. Bitstreaming of lossless audio is now possible with Asus Xonar 1.3a sound card for the first time in HTPC history. Read the following wee review.

Equipment list.

- Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0GHz
- ASUS M3N-H/HDMI GeForce 8300 motherboard
- Kingston DDR2-800 4GB
- ASUS GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
- Pioneer BDR-202BK BD drive
- Sony BWU-100A Rewritable BD Drive
- Furukawa HDMI cables
- Windows Vista ultimate SP1 32-bit with latest updates
- Arcsoft TMT special version
- Integra 8.8 receiver
- Optoma HD81 1080p DLP projector
- Carver THX power amps +B&W speakers + SVS PB-13 Ultra Subwoofer

Installation:
Installation of the Xonar was a fairly strait and easy process, and then I reformatted the hard drive, re-installed and updated Vista. Driver installation went off without a hitch. ASUS' drivers disk is fully automated, and took care of everything needed to use all the features on the Xonar.There were several other CDs that were included, but I didn't really bother with them.Once installed, the Xonar Audio HDAV Center is where all the action is. From here you can control every aspect of the sound card.

Testing:
I plugged HDMI output from my video card into the HDMI input on the HDAV sound card and then from sound card to the receiver.If the video card produces sound, it should be turned off. The HDAV adds the sound to the video, process it via the Splended HD engine and send strait to the reciever to do the decoding.The "Splendid HD" video processor adds additional definition to the already fine image, More importantly, I didn't notice any degradation in image quality via the HDMI pass-through process on my Optoma HD81 projector.Remember, if You want, the video and audio can be sent separately.

Ok, I then fired up everything and put "I robot" BD into the Pioneer BD drive and closed the tray, within a few seconds TMT started play back and then the front panel of my reciever lit up and indicated that it was receiving DTS-HD MA signal.This was the second time I have seen DTS-HD MA logo lights up on the reciever. ( I first saw it at Asus demo room) when it comes to quality,the Xonar doesn't disappoint, while producing splendid 1080p images it really shines and brings life to the HTPC world with fantastic,crisp and clear sound quality . My basement was almost rocked with bombastic sound field.A real workout to my SVS sub.There was a miner issue with the TMT though. True HD tracks can't be processed at the moment but that will be fixed with an updated patch in the coming days. Meanwhile LPCM,DD+,DTS HD etc... working fine.So There you go bitstreaming finally.wonderful!!!

Final thoughts:
Fantastic audio/video quality for the price.

Note:This version of TMT does not play HD/BDs from the HDD.Here is what exactly happend. When I selected the folder, the screen goes black for a second as if its about to play, then jumps back to the TMT home screen.This happened with Mission impossible 3 and Die hard 4.0. Is it a problem with my system or what? Sorry I don't have any ISOs to try (never made any ISOs, 350+ BDs in my room) I will make an ISO tonight and give it a try.Anyway I will contact both Asus and Arcsoft next Monday (Sep 1st) and give you guys a confirmation.I did't have time to test the daughter card.
post #218 of 9551 Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Does it come with a DVI-HDMI cable that i can run from the output of my 8800gts? I want to know if i should order one so i can have one on hand. Thanks for the review as well, i really hope they fix the playing from the hard drive part.

Craig
post #219 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

They wont "fix" the playing from HD part, that was the point to totally disable it.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #220 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 AM

i don't understand, why would TMT care if it plays movies off a disk or a hard drive? I rip to ISO so it probably won't be an issue anyways.

Craig
post #221 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MyAV,

Thanks for the mini-review. I was under the impression that the TMT DTS MA and True HD special bundle version is not available yet. But based on your review, you DO see the True HD light light on in your AVR 2nd time. Can I assume that TMT special bundle is here and just need the next patch for the True HD bit-stream?

Also, is this come with additional 1.3a cable (from video card to this card)

Last, can you let us know that it is PAP sending and receiving between your Xonar and AVR without any down sampled and up sampled process going on?

Thanks!
post #222 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

MyAV,

Thanks for the mini-review. I was under the impression that the TMT DTS MA and True HD special bundle version is not available yet. But based on your review, you DO see the True HD light light on in your AVR 2nd time. Can I assume that TMT special bundle is here and just need the next patch for the True HD bit-stream?

Also, is this come with additional 1.3a cable (from video card to this card)

Last, can you let us know that it is PAP sending and receiving between your Xonar and AVR without any down sampled and up sampled process going on?

Thanks!

I received the DTS-HD MA update sooner than expected. That is why I posted the review so soon. When I got my hands on this card in mid July ( see the pictures I posted at http://www.myav.com.tw/forum/showthr...hreadid=345113), Both Asus and Arcsoft had not released matured drivers for the card to run as expected. The driver versions I had were just for basic playback without the MA and True HD support. But the version scheduled to be launched on Sep10th (of course earlier here) will have the full version of TMT but still without the True HD bit streaming support.Arcsoft is working on it but I guess it is not going to make it before the dead line. BTW,Asus is way ready with the cards. It is Arcsoft causing the delay. Everybody is waiting for the full blownTMT.

Since TMT is not downsampling any more and PAP is handled by the card what is going to the reveiver is a raw non-downsampling bitstream signal so in between this process there is no any down sampling and up sampling process going on?

Accessories list comes with the card.

4 x 3.5mm-to-RCA adaptor cable (8ch)
2 x S/PDIF optical adaptors
1 x DVI-to-HDMI cable (for the video card)
1 x HDMI to HDMI cable
1 x H6 Extension Board Cable
and some inatallation CDs.
post #223 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

i don't understand, why would TMT care if it plays movies off a disk or a hard drive? I rip to ISO so it probably won't be an issue anyways.

Craig

+1

Once an ISO is mounted it "looks" just like a blu-ray disc.
post #224 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

. . . When I got my hands on this card in mid July (see the pictures I posted at http://www.myav.com.tw/forum/showthr...hreadid=345113) . . .

Saw your pics; awesome !!! That's obviously a native Chinese site. Do you speak Chinese? As your English is flawless, I would guess that's your native tongue.

Anywhose, I've been waiting for this card for a long time now and much appreciate your efforts in getting this early info out to the rest of us. BTW, I couldn't really tell if your comment on the previous page, "But you are going to miss great "Splendid HD" video processor which adds additional definition to the already fine image", was written with a slightly sarcastic tone or not? Certainly the processing that goes on would have to add some artificiality to the final PQ; edge enhancement, color space alteration, etc? Some may like those features, but hopefully you can by pass it or deselect any undesired processing, I would guess. Anyways, keep that good info coming. THANKS !!!

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #225 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems really weird to me that ArcSoft is having such a hard time sending TrueHD, etc. bitstream. I mean, they're currently decoding the bitstreams, and now they can just send them through. It seems like *less* work to stop messing with the audio than what they do now?

I fear that ArcSoft is adding all sorts of bloat in the new release, and that's what is delaying it. It can't possibly be that it's taking them time to stop molesting the audio streams.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #226 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

myAV,

Thanks for the great info. With your ASUS HDMI 8300 did you try Multichannel LPCM and what's your opinion if you compared it to the Bitstreamed DTS-HD MA of the Xonar?

Thanks.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #227 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

I received the DTS-HD MA update sooner than expected. That is why I posted the review so soon. When I got my hands on this card in mid July ( see the pictures I posted at http://www.myav.com.tw/forum/showthr...hreadid=345113), Both Asus and Arcsoft had not released matured drivers for the card to run as expected. The driver versions I had were just for basic playback without the MA and True HD support. But the version scheduled to be launched on Sep10th (of course earlier here) will have the full version of TMT but still without the True HD bit streaming support.Arcsoft is working on it but I guess it is not going to make it before the dead line. BTW,Asus is way ready with the cards. It is Arcsoft causing the delay. Everybody is waiting for the full blownTMT.

Since TMT is not downsampling any more and PAP is handled by the card what is going to the reveiver is a raw non-downsampling bitstream signal so in between this process there is no any down sampling and up sampling process going on?

Accessories list comes with the card.

4 x 3.5mm-to-RCA adaptor cable (8ch)
2 x S/PDIF optical adaptors
1 x DVI-to-HDMI cable (for the video card)
1 x HDMI to HDMI cable
1 x H6 Extension Board Cable
and some inatallation CDs.

MyAV,

Thanks for the reply. Where do you get the update TMT? I am not asking you to post the link or send it to me, I thought they will post it it the site or comes with the box. But it is not in the TMT and Asus sites, I just wonder how they communicate with you and for you to know where to get that important update.

Any ETA about the True HD TMT update from Asus or TMT?
post #228 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Yes it's true no playback from HD with bundled version so says his review on the other site, which frankly makes the entire product worthless lol, figures. I knew it was to good to be true. HTPC's gotta love the BS.

I hardly can believe that. My current version (3.0.0.91) already plays BD and HDDVD .iso 's. You only have to mount them first and then, like stated in an earlier post here, TMT nor any other DVD software player will be able to distinguish a "true" BD drive from a "virtual" BD drive.
post #229 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

It seems really weird to me that ArcSoft is having such a hard time sending TrueHD, etc. bitstream. I mean, they're currently decoding the bitstreams, and now they can just send them through. It seems like *less* work to stop messing with the audio than what they do now?

I fear that ArcSoft is adding all sorts of bloat in the new release, and that's what is delaying it. It can't possibly be that it's taking them time to stop molesting the audio streams.

My guess is that they're ensuring the bundled version can't be taken apart for other uses.

post #230 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

My guess is that they're ensuring the bundled version can't be taken apart for other uses.

When will folks give up on this? About 2 days after release, SlySoft or someone will have some utility to make everything look like it has a PAVP.

The world will always be smarter than any single company or corrupt DRM scheme.

post #231 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
presumably those are 2 phono to 3.5 mm ?

for inputting into a device that has 3.5mm input ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttext View Post

I hardly can believe that. My current version (1.0.9.4) already plays BD and HDDVD .iso 's. You only have to mount them first and then, like stated in an earlier post here, TMT nor any other DVD software player will be able to distinguish a "true" BD drive from a "virtual" BD drive.

Quote:

MyAV,

Thanks for the reply. Where do you get the update TMT? I am not asking you to post the link or send it to me, I thought they will post it it the site or comes with the box. But it is not in the TMT and Asus sites, I just wonder how they communicate with you and for you to know where to get that important update.

post #232 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttext View Post

I hardly can believe that. My current version (1.0.9.4) already plays BD and HDDVD .iso 's. You only have to mount them first and then, like stated in an earlier post here, TMT nor any other DVD software player will be able to distinguish a "true" BD drive from a "virtual" BD drive.

Yeah it really looks like I will have to start converting all of my Blu-ray folders over to .iso and pick up a copy of Virtual Clonedrive. What is everyone using to make iso's?

I have only used TMT up til now, doesn't PDVD already require you to use .iso?
post #233 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When will folks give up on this? About 2 days after release, SlySoft or someone will have some utility to make everything look like it has a PAVP.

The world will always be smarter than any single company or corrupt DRM scheme.

Exactly, hence, my previous post.

post #234 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Yeah it really looks like I will have to start converting all of my Blu-ray folders over to .iso and pick up a copy of Virtual Clonedrive. What is everyone using to make iso's?

ImageBurn. On the Slysoft forum, there is a thread with a bat file to do the conversions. You should be able to find it there.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #235 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ImgBurn is what we used to use, but it's old and unfashionable now.

AnyDVD HD now rips right to ISO, with or without protection removed. That's preferred, although newer and not as tested.

CloneCD is preferred over ImgBurn now, and has been for a while. ImgBurn adds extra space to some ISO's, where CloneCD doesn't.

Anyway, AnyDVD HD is the way to go for now.

Same with mounting the ISO's. Daemon Tools used to be good, but they keep screwing things up. The free Virtual Clone Drive is much much better (and faster) for mounting ISO's. And you can mimic DT for any program that has built-in support (like MediaPortal) by just writing a little windows script file.

post #236 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ImgBurn is what we used to use, but it's old and unfashionable now.

AnyDVD HD now rips right to ISO, with or without protection removed. That's preferred, although newer and not as tested.

CloneCD is preferred over ImgBurn now, and has been for a while. ImgBurn adds extra space to some ISO's, where CloneCD doesn't.

Anyway, AnyDVD HD is the way to go for now.

Same with mounting the ISO's. Daemon Tools used to be good, but they keep screwing things up. The free Virtual Clone Drive is much much better (and faster) for mounting ISO's. And you can mimic DT for any program that has built-in support (like MediaPortal) by just writing a little windows script file.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will look into CloneCD since I like to remove extras first with tsmuxer before turning it into an ISO. Of course tsmuxer doesn't fully support True-HD and DTS-MA so those I can just turn into an ISO with AnyDVD HD.

Can't wait until Asus releases this card. It sounds like a winner. I just hope TMT doesn't ruin it.
post #237 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:

MyAV,

I thought so early, even before I posted those info.someone here would ask me this tricky as well as clever question. " Where the hell those updates come from?" Well, the answer is easy. It's ASUS,They are providing me those updates,it is a part of the deal. I guess you can understand what I am saying.Somehow You will see the updates and driver support on both sites just before or after ( most probably after ) the official release date, that will be Sep 10th. As for the True HD support, nothing yet.
post #238 of 9551 Old 08-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post

Saw your pics; awesome !!! That's obviously a native Chinese site. Do you speak Chinese? As your English is flawless, I would guess that's your native tongue.

Anywhose, I've been waiting for this card for a long time now and much appreciate your efforts in getting this early info out to the rest of us. BTW, I couldn't really tell if your comment on the previous page, "But you are going to miss great "Splendid HD" video processor which adds additional definition to the already fine image", was written with a slightly sarcastic tone or not? Certainly the processing that goes on would have to add some artificiality to the final PQ; edge enhancement, color space alteration, etc? Some may like those features, but hopefully you can by pass it or deselect any undesired processing, I would guess. Anyways, keep that good info coming. THANKS !!!

- da Choge

We tested "Splendid HD" video processor while watching "Shall we dance" which was a fantastic title to go with the test. It had sharp PQ,vibrant colors and not a hint of noise or any other artefacts.After post-processing on the outbound image, what we saw was a more detailed picture with even deeper colors.Some of them liked it while others didn't.but for certain audiences this video post-processing will provide edge enhancement, increased color saturation, and noise reduction etc.. it is a matter of personal preference.But remember, like I said earlier, this process doesn't ruin the image quality. you can either bypass it or send audio/video separatetly to coresponding equipments.

No sir, I am not a native English speaker. Japanese is my first language But I spent a couple of years in the US in the 90s. I speak and write fluent Chinese.
post #239 of 9551 Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

presumably those are 2 phono to 3.5 mm ?

for inputting into a device that has 3.5mm input ?

???????
What's the relation between your Q and the quotes?
post #240 of 9551 Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:

I use IMGburn for the iso and deamon for the virtual drive.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page