Need help with connecting my PC to a Samsung LN32A550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told to move this thread from the LCD display board to this one.

I've been browsing these forums a lot lately and finally decided to pick up a Samsung LN32A550. I was going to use it mainly for cable TV and blu-ray movies played from my computer. I've been looking for an HDMI cable along with an HDMI(f) to DVI(m) adapter would connect my PC to the TV, but after doing a little research I found out that audio also needs to go from my PC to my TV if I'm going to watch BD movies from my computer (I'm only going to use 2.1; surround sound is out of the question). I'm pretty new to the whole LCD TV technical stuff, so I'd like some help if possible.

Lastly, is it even worth the trouble to hook-up my computer to my TV, seeing that I could just get a PS3 or a stand alone BD player? I'm not sure of how the native resolution of 1920x1080 would look on the TV, or even how I would configure it so that I would get the full benefit of HD and blu-ray. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Specs of my comp (for the most part):

C2D E8400
2x eVGA 8800GT 512MB
4GB PC2-6400
X-Fi XtremeGamer
LG Blu-Ray and HD-DVD optical drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis44 View Post

Lastly, is it even worth the trouble to hook-up my computer to my TV, seeing that I could just get a PS3 or a stand alone BD player?

Probably.

Other alternatives include a sound card like the Asus Xonar that outputs audio/video over HDMI. There are a few MBs that does this too.
Or get a receiver and use DVI -> HDMI cable to the TV and SPDIF to the receiver for the sound.

/Anders
post #3 of 4 Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Do you have software to watchthe dvd's yet (powerdvd, TMT?) All you need is a dvi to hdmi dongle and an HDMI cable (do not spend more than $20 for an HDMI cable) Monster is not worth $100 for a cable, that will get you nothing.

Anyway, check your tv, do you have separate RCA audio inputs associated with you HDMI jack? The reason I ask is that I am unsure about the 8800GT's ability to put sound on the HDMI cable. It is very likely that the 8800gt can do this and you are all set. If it cannot, then all you have to do it send the audio from your analog out on your pc to those RCA audio inputs I was talking about. If there are no RCA inputs associated with your HDMI input on your TV and you can't get audio over the HDMI on the 8800GT then you would need external amplifications and speakers (i.e a reciver and a pair of book shelp speakers). Or a set of computer speakers.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne View Post

Do you have software to watchthe dvd's yet (powerdvd, TMT?)

Yep. Cyberlink PowerDVD came with my LG optical drive and that's what I've been using. I've yet to have any trouble with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne View Post

Anyway, check your tv, do you have separate RCA audio inputs associated with you HDMI jack? The reason I ask is that I am unsure about the 8800GT's ability to put sound on the HDMI cable. It is very likely that the 8800gt can do this and you are all set. If it cannot, then all you have to do it send the audio from your analog out on your pc to those RCA audio inputs I was talking about. If there are no RCA inputs associated with your HDMI input on your TV and you can't get audio over the HDMI on the 8800GT then you would need external amplifications and speakers (i.e a reciver and a pair of book shelp speakers). Or a set of computer speakers.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple RCA jacks that correspond to the HDMI port that is used for computer connections. Here is a pic of the back of my TV (from Newegg). The top HDMI port and the two audio jacks right beside it are what my manual says to connect to if I use a DVI to HDMI and a 3.5mm to 2RCA cable if I want to hook up my PC. I'm not sure if my 8800gt could output sound, so I was thinking of getting this cable and a separate 2.1 speaker set-up for the TV. I'm fairly certain this is the correct way to get my comp connected to my TV, but I'd like to know if I'll get the full resolution for the TV and if BD movies will look just as good if played from a stand alone player. Thanks for the help, guys.
Reply Home Theater Computers