Auzentech Home Theater 7.1 HDMI thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1939 Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
U guys know what...i think BD playback on HTPC right now is totally retarded with this totally messed up software and hardware situation. Plus, a good standalone player will surpass the quality of ANY HTPC as of now. No BD playback on the PC supports deep color, 36 or 48 bit processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

Auzentech is somewhat consistent when they make a deadline.

I found that funny. It is like saying someone usually tells the truth...or is often honest.

Quote:

I am positive they will make an announcement near the end of the month. It will either be "The Home Theater 7.1 will be shipping to retailers and available around XXX or "Due to (fill in reason here) the Home Theater 7.1 will not be available till XXX".

I found this funny too. Either they will say it is shipping, or they will say it is not shipping. We already knew that.

Not busting on you, just found it funny is all.
post #543 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserkool View Post

U guys know what...i think BD playback on HTPC right now is totally retarded with this totally messed up software and hardware situation.

Asus Xonar HDAV + TMT = no problems

MKV and file playback doesn't count as standalones cannot do that.

Quote:
Plus, a good standalone player will surpass the quality of ANY HTPC as of now.

I have friends and relatives with PS3, Sony BDP S550 and Sammy BDP-1500 and my HTPC easily surpasses the PS3 and Sammy in case of color reproduction and sharpness. The image of my HTPC looks much more 'deep' than those cheaper BD Players. And lets not start with loading times. The Sammy takes forver to load BD-J and BD-Live, my HTPC is the fastest player by far. Even the very good S550 cannot compete with it. Oh and have I told you about not worrying about region codes???

You have so much more possibilities with a HTPC to tune playback quality wise. It just a matter of how much time and money you invest into your HTPC.

Remember: HTPC is NOT Plug&Play.

Quote:
No BD playback on the PC supports deep color, 36 or 48 bit processing.

I don't think there is any movie on sale with Deep Color. My graphics card, receiver and TV are Deep Color capable I can even select it in the NVIDIA control panel.
post #544 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Received this morning response from AuzenTech:

The release date will be early next month. The Price is $249.99.

Sorry for my bad English
post #545 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

I'll still get the card at release as I am also interested in the DTS encoding to 7.1 for games via HDMI (the Prelude that I currently have only does Dolby Digital / DTS encoding to 5.1)

Plain DTS only supports 5.1 or 6.1. Sorry but you will never get 7.1 DTS encoding to work. Your best bet would be to use PLIIx with DTS.
post #546 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaro View Post

Is that US dollars?

Hmm, looks like they really are passing the R & D costs to the few customers they expect to have.

I paid $250 for my ASUS card last year. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for an HDMI card now.
post #547 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaro View Post

They are wising up. Next month is always accurate. Very dangerous to mention a particular month and year

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #548 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Is that US dollars?

Yes

Sorry for my bad English
post #549 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Is that US dollars?

Hmm, looks like they really are passing the R & D costs to the few customers they expect to have.

I paid $250 for my ASUS card last year. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for an HDMI card now.

I bet they'll have a more than just a 'few' customers. Also, how about waiting to make a comparison to see the extra features I bet the Auzentech will have over the ASUS. They've had months to implement some of the features that ASUS owners have been whining about in their own card. If they didn't believe they would make money at that price-point, they most likley would have started it lower. I will guarantee you the card will sell quite well. I'm considering purchasing it when it releases, solely since I use W7 and arcsoft will have nothing to do with my OS for months still.

Oh... what's your Xonar go for now... still looks like about 230-240 and people are still buying it. Just because you bought a faulty card before, doesn't mean the current, fully or even 'mostly' functional cards (asus and soon auzentech) aren't worth the 250 price point still.
post #550 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreGTX View Post

I bet they'll have a more than just a 'few' customers. Also, how about waiting to make a comparison to see the extra features I bet the Auzentech will have over the ASUS. They've had months to implement some of the features that ASUS owners have been whining about in their own card. If they didn't believe they would make money at that price-point, they most likley would have started it lower. I will guarantee you the card will sell quite well. I'm considering purchasing it when it releases, solely since I use W7 and arcsoft will have nothing to do with my OS for months still.

Oh... what's your Xonar go for now... still looks like about 230-240 and people are still buying it. Just because you bought a faulty card before, doesn't mean the current, fully or even 'mostly' functional cards (asus and soon auzentech) aren't worth the 250 price point still.

Not sure what your definition of 'quite well' is, but I cannot imagine any such definition from a business case standpoint. Companies can and do make horrendous mistakes regarding market size, ROI and so on and from the look of it Auzen has done so here. Their site still says it includes a Power DVD Trial which means you have to drop another $70 or so just to use the thing making the actual price more like $320. Not a good deal at all, and most of us are savvy enough to understand that.

While I would like a card that has good gaming support the fact is that fewer and fewer games are being written for EAX so the advantage of using the X-Fi chipset is pretty small. I don't use my HTPC for gaming anyway. In fact, I cannot imagine what features you are describing that this card would do any differently than the ASUS card. 24P? Nope, the Asus has that. Bitstreaming? Right... VMC support? By the time this card is released Asus will either have it working again or it will be shortly thereafter. I am scratching my head to figure out what meaningful feature it might have that the HDAV does not.

If the ASUS slim card comes out in the next couple of weeks as has been suggested then the Auzen card will be a very expensive option with little value to back up the extra expense. I doubt very much they will ever make back their investment. Let's do the math. 100 of the cards brings in a gross of $25K, but less than half of that will go to Auzen. They will have to sell many more than that to make $100K back and I suspect development costs well over that - I am an engineer at a company that develops high end audio systems for business jets and I can tell you development costs can be quite high for a product like this.

Add in that there will no doubt be more competition from the video card makes at some point soon and I am comfortable that this card will not earn back the investment Auzen made in it.

Remember, this is just my opinion. It may not be worth much to you. Not even sure it is worth much to me...

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
post #551 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... I wouldn't pay more than $150 for an HDMI card now.

Glad somebody is seeing things the way I have begun to. Sure hope the Asus Slim card can be had for this on the street otherwise I will probably just get TMT when they release version 3 - assuming, that is, that they do not follow in Cyberlink's footsteps.

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
post #552 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreGTX View Post

Your operating system isn't even supported by its manufacturer yet, ever heard of beta? Why should Arcsoft support it before Microsoft does?
Actually even the ASUS card has not been selling lately. Newegg has it listed as out of stock and it has been that way for awhile.
post #553 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM

A large majority of other manufacturers and software providers have released or ensured compatibility with W7. Arcsoft is the only one that I know of that has directly said they haven't even begun to look at W7! With the RC due out in a month and the final candidate expected within a few months of that it's pretty crazy that they haven't even looked at it yet, especially with the TREMENDOUSLY HUGE interest in the Beta shown by the public so far. With this gearing up to be, IMHO, the biggest OS release MS has had in years in terms of interest and postive news comgin out of the Beta, I think every company needs to be preparing to have a product available for the release of W7 final that will be 100% compatible with the system. I understand some delay, but to say you haven't even considered it yet, with the final release due within 2 quarters is pushing your luck (especially since PDVD and WinDVD seem to work almost flawlessly (or should I say on par) with their Vista/XP counterparts.) I know I won't be waiting for Arcsoft to catch up to W7. I'll be installing W7 as soon as available and will give my support to the companies that are standing right up there in W7 support.
post #554 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I found that funny. It is like saying someone usually tells the truth...or is often honest.

I found this funny too. Either they will say it is shipping, or they will say it is not shipping. We already knew that.

Not busting on you, just found it funny is all.

No offense taken. What I was getting at is that Auzentech seldom puts out additional press releases or updates their site with new information on releases until they reach the time frame they mentioned on the last press release (end of first quarter 2009). Whether it is good or bad news, we won't know until the last week of March.
post #555 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

this thread has really become the playground of fools

Now I understand why you are posting here!
post #556 of 1939 Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Although it's been discussed, I am not interested in anything related to Creative such as the X-Fi. Creative products pop and crackle. Plus, poor support from Creative combined with poor support from Auzen, makes it double-trouble for me. Auzen used to provide good support on the X-Meridian until the last year, then it was completely unresponsive.

I'm exploring the Xonar going forward.
post #557 of 1939 Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

Actually even the ASUS card has not been selling lately. Newegg has it listed as out of stock and it has been that way for awhile.

NewEgg was waiting for the new Version 9 cards...but mostly due to ASUS not having them to sell.

The old Version 8 cards have issues, so they created a new version and are handing out RMAs for the version 8 cards.

They should be back in stock soon.
post #558 of 1939 Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Liked: 11
Well I'm sticking with Creative's X-Fi along with the 64MB xRam. More and more games are using xRam.

My HAF-932 Red Dragon MOD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #559 of 1939 Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Hello,
just in case you are interested in using the Auzen-Card and ReClock: It might never work for BluRays:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=23

PowerDVD9 will never support ReClock with BluRay. And since the Auzen-Card is somehow bound to PowerDVD9 - at least for bitstreaming - there might be issues with stuttering in any setups which do not have a multiple of 24Hz.

best regards
mariachi76
post #560 of 1939 Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM

It's all upto Cyberlink to resolve this issue then. If these companies want people to build Multi-Media/Gaming PC's then they better get there act straight. I don't think people are willing to put up with this anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #561 of 1939 Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi76 View Post

Hello,
just in case you are interested in using the Auzen-Card and ReClock: It might never work for BluRays:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=23

PowerDVD9 will never support ReClock with BluRay. And since the Auzen-Card is somehow bound to PowerDVD9 - at least for bitstreaming - there might be issues with stuttering in any setups which do not have a multiple of 24Hz.

best regards
mariachi76

What is ReClock?

Thanks,

Adam
post #562 of 1939 Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 AM

http://reclock.free.fr/
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=19931

post #563 of 1939 Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM

Cyberlink has been ripping people off for years but this just takes the cake.

post #564 of 1939 Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13

Thanks, so does TMT support it then?

24p is down the road for me but are the suggestions that lack of support for Reclock will mean juddery Bluray playback on PDVD9?

Adam
post #565 of 1939 Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Adam,

As i can't do 24fps, as both of my displays can't do 24fps. I don't know about TMT & Re-Clock, as i gave up on the TMT player when i sent back the Asus card. But i do prefer Theatretek as my choice of media player, shame it won't be going HD in the short term.

I'm sure someone else can chime in, and answer you question.

Cheers
Lee

post #566 of 1939 Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Right now I'm really unsure of what to do. I would like to put this card in my setup because I have had it with my Audigy2 and Vista, but these constant delays are aggravating.

For anyone who's heard full-range TrueHD or DTS-HD Master that hasn't been downsampled, is it really worth it? Right now, that's my main concern--am I waiting for something that I won't even hear the difference with, or are the two formats that much better full-range?

Right now, that's the only thing keeping me from going with their other X-Fi card, the Forte.

Also, how is Auzentech on Linux support? Whichever card I choose, it's going to be doing similar duty for my Linux setup.
post #567 of 1939 Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Thanks, so does TMT support it then?

24p is down the road for me but are the suggestions that lack of support for Reclock will mean juddery Bluray playback on PDVD9?

Adam

Arcsoft TMT does support Reclock, as does every other player based on directshow. Even PowderDVD 8 does.
As I said, juddery playback will occur if your setup is not exactly 24 Hz. For example if your display/graphics card do not support that, or you live in PAL-land (like me) where 25/50 is the standard for TV and DVD.
In such a case, ReCLock basically speeds up playback to 25 fps, making it perfectly smooth.
But even if you have a 24p system, you sometimes get judder just because the clock generator of graphics card and sound card are not exactly synchromized. ReCLock helps here by synchronizing both.
With best regards
Rainer
post #568 of 1939 Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Oh **** Am i hearing this right the new auzentech card willl only work for the true hd using powerdvd 9 please tell me thats not true, if so what ********.........
post #569 of 1939 Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdukat View Post

For anyone who's heard full-range TrueHD or DTS-HD Master that hasn't been downsampled, is it really worth it?

Absolutely. YMMV but on my Panasonic BX-500/5.1 JBL-Studio set difference is so audible that I ditched my ATI 4670 (I have of course the Xonar HDAV).

The other clear advantage is no audio mess-up/manipulation by software (PDVD, TMT or WinDVD9).

(capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #570 of 1939 Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

That definitely seals it. I'm waiting. I suppose I can soldier on with the Audigy2 a little longer...

Like I said, they both still sound pretty good, even if it is downsampled. But I'm real anal when it comes to audio quality. Guess I'm sensitive to that because I'm half-deaf. I need to be able to hear that much more to compensate for what I've lost.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page