Auzentech Home Theater 7.1 HDMI thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1939 Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will have info in the next few days... Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1939 Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

I will have info in the next few days... Stay tuned.

I would have Stayed Tuned if you had written that 6 months ago. Now I will just say take your time! I have already spent my money elsewhere. It is a shame that it has taken so long already. Now I have had the chance to figure out that bit streaming really does not offer me anything that 7.1 Channel PCM can't give me. If I can't hear the difference why would I even care?

Oh yea $250 is WAY too much for me now! When I thought it would cost me $50 on top of the $170 I spent on the prelude I reluctantly went along. If you expect me to spend another $250 on top of what I paid for the prelude then you are just delusional.

Bottom Line: Bitstreaming Audio Cards were interesting 6 months ago. Right now all they are is vaporware!
post #63 of 1939 Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1

Especially we have so many choices from video cards and mobo which can output 'downgraded' 7.1 sound from HDMI connection. I am using ASUS 4670 now which gives me very good 7.1 sound comparing to Creative X-Fi Platinum analog and I can also play some games.

My HTPC is perfect and stable now and my next goal is waiting for an mobo with integrated video card for accelerating HD movie as well as does bitstreaming for TrueHD as well as DTSHD MA in few years. And I believe that it will be reality.
post #64 of 1939 Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
Pic and brief write-up HERE (posted by ROBSCIX)

The card comes with only a "trial" edition of PowerDVD?
post #65 of 1939 Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

Trial version only!?!? FAIL
post #66 of 1939 Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

Trial version only!?!? FAIL

and for a $50 higher MSRP than the HDAV1.3 (and the Xonar, as it stands now, with no fully-functioning drivers, is grossly overpriced in its own right).
post #67 of 1939 Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:

and for a $50 higher MSRP than the HDAV1.3 (and the Xonar, as it stands now, with no fully-functioning drivers, is grossly overpriced in its own right).

I just purchased the Xonar HDAV1.3 off ebay using Live Search. Price was $240 shipped to Los Angeles. With the 30% rebate the price comes to a reasonable $170 - less than my Prelude [sold for $150, a small loss on ebay]. I can wait for the drivers, I have standalone Onkyo and Sony players.

My Xonar Dx2, which I purchased after findng out there was no longer going to be a daughtercard for the Prelude, will be selling on bay for $100, or so.

I have an Asus MB and the Asus GTS 8600. Looks like I am going to be an Asus Homer.

Oh, btw, now that I am Auzentech-free, it's like being a successful Methadone user - smack-free!
post #68 of 1939 Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Pic and brief write-up HERE (posted by ROBSCIX)

They seem to have some conflicting specs on that card.
Quote:

Supported audio resolution and sampling rate
16/24-bit / up to 192 kHz (Stereo playback)
16/24-bit / up to 96.0 kHz (Multi channel playback)
16/24-bit / up to 96 kHz (Recording)

Quote:

Audio
- Supports IEC60958 2-channel PCM or IEC61937 compressed audio (Dolby® Digital, DTS, etc.)
- Supports 8 channels, 192 kHz PCM or High bit rate audio (Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio)

post #69 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM

If it offers stable drivers with bitstream option, it is a nice card. However the whole "works with nvidia only" is a complete put off
post #70 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToGo1 View Post

If it offers stable drivers with bitstream option, it is a nice card. However the whole "works with nvidia only" is a complete put off

Please read the thread, it works with any HDMI input (from any graphics card) but includes a proprietry internal connection for nVidia as an 'extra'.

Adam
post #71 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Please read the thread, it works with any HDMI input (from any graphics card) but includes a proprietry internal connection for nVidia as an 'extra'.

Adam

So why the proprietary internal connection? Does it offer any advantage over the HDMI port? Will other cards be able to use the bitstream option as well?
post #72 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

So why the proprietary internal connection?

Unique selling point? I think it is based on the SLI connector on nVidia cards hence why it won't work with ATI cards.

Quote:

Does it offer any advantage over the HDMI port?

Nothing I know of except convenience/neater installation, no external loop back cable between graphics card and Audio card.

Quote:

Will other cards be able to use the bitstream option as well?

Yes.
post #73 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

None of the formats support multichannel (beyond stereo) @ 192 except theoretically lpcm but 2+@192 is not part of bluray spec anyway afaik.
post #74 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Works with both card types as was mentioned. Only the internal connector is for newer NVidia based cards I guess they were on the team when the card was/is being developed.
There is no advantage of internal to external besides not using a external cable. Both ATI and Nvidia cards will have the full audio output options the card is capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

There is nothing conflicting about the specifications, One is refering to analog output and the other is refering to digital audio output standards.

Hope this helps.
post #75 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is nothing conflicting about the specifications, One is refering to analog output and the other is refering to digital audio output standards.

Hope this helps.

After looking at the specifications PDF again, I realized that. Thanks for confirming though.
post #76 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamir View Post

None of the formats support multichannel (beyond stereo) @ 192 except theoretically lpcm but 2+@192 is not part of bluray spec anyway afaik.

Yes it is. The White paper for the Blu-ray Disc Format specifies a max of 8 channels of LPCM @ 48kHz and 96kHz, and a max of 6 channels for 192kHz LPCM. Top of page 18: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Do...2955-15269.pdf

There is at least one disc using 6 channel 192kHz LPCM: TrondheimSolistene: Divertimenti

Audio
LPCM 192kHz/24bit 5.1
LPCM 192kHz/24bit Stereo
DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Dolby TrueHD 5.1... (more)
LPCM 192kHz/24bit 5.1
LPCM 192kHz/24bit Stereo
DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Dolby Digital 5.1
SACD 5.1
SACD Stereo
post #77 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I'm so sick of hearing people going on about not hearing the difference between downsampled audio and bitstreamed codecs to LPCM, and how they don't care and can't hear the difference, its not called TVPC, its HTPC! The whole idea isn't to have your computer running through your tv with sound, I'm sure like most people as soon as the tnt2 cards came out with RCA tv out, the tv stereo and computer were as one. Its home theatre PC as in "highest quality audio/video, comparable and a better alternative than the actual theatre". If you can't hear the difference then you're obviously plugging a $200+ soundcard into a $200- AVR with $15 speakers you found at a garage sale.
I see people in these forums bitching about setups for 7.1 soundcards and they're using a friggin logitech 5.1 computer speaker setup.
Anyone with a clue and half decent hearing can hear the subtle differences in audio if they're using the right equipment and set it up correctly.
I unfortunately can't call myself an audiophile as I don't have the technical knowledge to back up anything i say and don't have a masters in physics and sound waves etc but just as a HTPC enthusiast I can hear and enjoy the differences between each and every speaker, soundcard, codec, AVR and player.
IF point=ignored THEN F=U
ELSE END RANT
post #78 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstuie82 View Post

I don't have the technical knowledge to back up anything i say

you don't say..
post #79 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Yeah, I may not have technical knowledge specific to sound waves and their differentiating characteristics at varying air pressures and alititudes, but I know enough to be able to voice my opinion based on facts.
If the best rebuttle you can muster up is to point out the one part where i was humbly detatching myself from the professional audio technicians out there, then obviously you'd best stick to your george costanza cinemaplex one liners and be gone with you.
post #80 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 PM

whatever buddy, i was only kidding.. lets see what you can muster up for post #10 there's a smiley for you this time.
post #81 of 1939 Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Works with both card types as was mentioned. Only the internal connector is for newer NVidia based cards I guess they were on the team when the card was/is being developed.
There is no advantage of internal to external besides not using a external cable. Both ATI and Nvidia cards will have the full audio output options the card is capable of.

Hope this helps.

It does help, I hope both cards work equally.

I noticed that XP drivers will be available in phase 2? Any elaboration on that?
post #82 of 1939 Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Goodtogo, Either Nvidia or ATI cards will work equally well. There is really no difference aside from the newer Nvidia cards will be able to use the internal or external connector and ATI cards can only use the external DVI input. As for the driver questions, I will see what I can find out and get back to you on this.
post #83 of 1939 Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstuie82 View Post

Yeah, I may not have technical knowledge specific to sound waves and their differentiating characteristics at varying air pressures and alititudes, but I know enough to be able to voice my opinion based on facts.
If the best rebuttle you can muster up is to point out the one part where i was humbly detatching myself from the professional audio technicians out there, then obviously you'd best stick to your george costanza cinemaplex one liners and be gone with you.

Hey, don't let them bother you too much. I can't tell you how many times I've read 'can't hear the difference between 16-bit/48 KHz and 24-bit/96 Khz'.

You know what? I can hear it too! I use a good soundcard, amplifier and decent (wish I had better) speakers, and it is real, and worth pursuing the hardware/software to make it work.

Hi-def audio is not quite as obvious as hi-def video vs standard-def video, but there is still a difference. Maybe not important to some.

I've got the engineering background to understand the theory too. But that isn't needed to appreciate the good sound. Just need ears that haven't been dulled by too many hours of rap music on the iPod or '84 Cutlass Supreme.

Lifespeed
post #84 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM

Update on release date?
post #85 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sometime in November, However Auzentech will push the date back if they need more development time or there is a issue that need dealing with.
post #86 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sometime in November, However Auzentech will push the date back if they need more development time or there is a issue that need dealing with.

Is that November 2008 or 2009? Sorry I had to ask since we have been waiting so long for this card already.
post #87 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Is that November 2008 or 2009? Sorry I had to ask since we have been waiting so long for this card already.

Based on Auzentech's previous releases for hardware, just add 1 to 2 months to their initial press release that gives the first street date. My own personal opinion would be that it would be release no later than mid December, barring any hardware or software glitches. Remember, Auzentech is working with other software and hardware companies (Cyberlink, Creative, Nvidia) so these external factors could well cause further delays.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to this card. I do have the Prelude and was saddened when they canceled the HDMI extension board. The Home Theater card will finally allow me to access uncompressed HD audio. I think it will be worth the wait.
post #88 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

@Goodtogo, Either Nvidia or ATI cards will work equally well. There is really no difference aside from the newer Nvidia cards will be able to use the internal or external connector and ATI cards can only use the external DVI input. As for the driver questions, I will see what I can find out and get back to you on this.

Does this card work without routing the video through the sound card?
My Onkyo Preamp does not accept the native rate of my display (1366x768) so I must send the video to the display and the audio to the preamp.

This is they way HTPC sound cards have always worked. I do not want an Audio/Video card, I want a sound card with HDMI out.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #89 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Does this card work without routing the video through the sound card?
My Onkyo Preamp does not accept the native rate of my display (1366x768) so I must send the video to the display and the audio to the preamp.

This is they way HTPC sound cards have always worked. I do not want an Audio/Video card, I want a sound card with HDMI out.

- Rich

Afaik the HDMI signal needs a video carrier.
post #90 of 1939 Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Just run analog audio to your Onk. That's what I plan on doing since my Onk doesn't do much more than DDex and DTS-es
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page