Auzentech Home Theater 7.1 HDMI thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 1939 Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Member
 
smcpartlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will need a scaler to upscale the resolution to the device that is higher I guess.

For the Dell why don't you use a dvi splitter and plug in the other dvi into the hdmi in on the card.

I did not try to use the card in stand alone mode.... Don't know why you need to have in the 1st place.
smcpartlin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 1939 Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Member
 
Snipe3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ran into another big problem with this card. I want to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD to my receiver with VLC or MPC-HD. Anything other than PowerDVD, but the only thing I have gotten to work is PowerDVD. There has to be a workaround to get this thing to passthrough HD audio in other programs.
Anyone know a solution?

Multi-Projector Edge-Blending & Geometry correction for games and simulations.
http://www.youtube.com/VanFS3K
Snipe3000 is offline  
post #1923 of 1939 Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3000 View Post

I ran into another big problem with this card. I want to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD to my receiver with VLC or MPC-HD. Anything other than PowerDVD, but the only thing I have gotten to work is PowerDVD. There has to be a workaround to get this thing to passthrough HD audio in other programs.
Anyone know a solution?

Uh, no. That's the issue with the Auzentech. It ONLY bitstreams in PDVD. That's why most of us avoid it.
SamuriHL is offline  
post #1924 of 1939 Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Member
 
RamGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Auzentech Home Theater HD for quite some time now, there are a few reasons why I landed on the HTD instead of Asus Xonar HDAV1.3..

First of all my desktop computer basicly does three things:

- Gaming
- Pushing Blu-Ray rips to my "Home Theater"
- Running my RAID10 network storage


Having a nVIDIA GeForce GTX480 not supporting bitstreaming whatsoever I landed on the HTD because it's awesome for "emulating" surround effects on my Sennheiser HD650 while gaming, along with it supposedly being able to provide me with bitstreaming when connecting it with my GTX480, right?


I haven't really bothered too much about the whole bitstream thingie because up until now I've only had 2.0 speaker setup so there hasn't really been any point with it, now I'm on a 4.0 speaker setup and will be going 5.1 pretty soonish..



Things connects as follows:

- GeForce GTX480 DVI-D Dual Link --> HDMI into Auzen Home Theater HD
- HDMI1.3c from Home Theater HD into my Yamaha RX-V3900 AV-receiver
- HDMI1.3c from RX-V3900 to my Pioneer LX5090H
- Sennheiser HD650 + Mic connected directly into the Home Theater HD


I'm running all the latest drivers and firmwares on the computer, receiver and television.. Only thing I have yet to update is the Home Theater HD's firmware? As I haven't really seen any firmware updates available?



The big irony with this whole setup is that I don't seem to get anything other than 2-channel PCM? That what's Windows Sound options claims (running Windows7 64-bit) and when running both the Creative / Auzen Sound control panel speaker test, and the default Windows one I'm only getting audio / noise on my two front speakers and nothing on the two surround speakers?


When doing the speaker test on my RX-V3900 there is noise on all four speakers? So obviously there is something on the computer not letting me output 4-channel audio to my RX-V3900? Not even 4-channel PCM?



Why is it than I can't seem to get anything other than 2-channel PCM of the Auzen HDMI output? When checking whatever bitstream possibilities etc.. Windows7 claims that the connection supports it just says 2-channel PCM? No mention of 4-Channel, 8-Channel or anything else which is supposed to support?
RamGuy is offline  
post #1925 of 1939 Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Member
 
alco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RamGuy:

Make sure you're using "Speakers" in windows playback devices and not "Digital Audio (HDMI)". Sound counter-intuitive but that's just the way this card works. I have 5.1 HDMI output to receiver using this setting.
alco23 is offline  
post #1926 of 1939 Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Member
 
sobskarlpox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I use this card without the AV receiver will I still be hearing TrueHD / DTS-MA audio? Or do I need to use an AV receiver for them to work?

So the setup would be 5970 > Auzentech HT, then Auzentech HT to LCD & 5.1 Speakers?
sobskarlpox is offline  
post #1927 of 1939 Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You'll get non-downsampled PCM audio in that case. Basically PDVD will decode the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track unmolested and output it via analog to your 5.1 speakers. This is what you want in that setup.
SamuriHL is offline  
post #1928 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Member
 
ImmortalJman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed that many of you guys using this have expressed your problems trying to use HD streams over PowerDVD and can't get it to do it in any other player. Is there another audio card that has similar cababilities and has an HDMI out?

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

ImmortalJman is offline  
post #1929 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cause this one is mated to PDVD and the ASUS is mated to TMT.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #1930 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

I've noticed that many of you guys using this have expressed your problems trying to use HD streams over PowerDVD and can't get it to do it in any other player. Is there another audio card that has similar cababilities and has an HDMI out?

These cards would have been good like 3-4 years ago, but they came in too late in the game, so they only enjoyed some months of popularity (some more for the Xonar cards). Nowadays they're overpriced and underperforming pieces of equipment that nobody really needs. For the same price, you can upgrade your video card to a mid-high range one from ATI or Nvidia that will offer better HDMI audio compatibility with all bluray software available capable of bitstreaming, and most importantly, free media players.

You can buy a separate analog card if you want analog as well, but many motherboards already have pretty good, transparent audio chips.
Andy o is offline  
post #1931 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The newer ATI/AMD 5 and 6 series along with Nvidia 4 series did/does change the landscape for bitstreaming but these cards still hold up well on their own merits of quality. Specs are still high/er than recently released analog cards. Granted they are player specific and do have analog PAP(no where else) except which only PDVD 9(?) has included with some Realtek analog on board, and of a much lesser spec. Afaik only the ASUS Essence is better for headphone enthusiasts. Even though it requires a display out feed to enable it's capabilities,many have an extra out anyway. I have found the HDAV quality/capabilities(SPDIF in and simultaneous output) perfect for my digitizing LP collection. Latest drivers as of Nov. And it the only option for PAP if you are a die hard XP user. Lastly, since I bought and have it, I'm gonna use it.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #1932 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Member
 
ImmortalJman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

These cards would have been good like 3-4 years ago, but they came in too late in the game, so they only enjoyed some months of popularity (some more for the Xonar cards). Nowadays they're overpriced and underperforming pieces of equipment that nobody really needs. For the same price, you can upgrade your video card to a mid-high range one from ATI or Nvidia that will offer better HDMI audio compatibility with all bluray software available capable of bitstreaming, and most importantly, free media players.

You can buy a separate analog card if you want analog as well, but many motherboards already have pretty good, transparent audio chips.

Thanks. I was pretty much coming to that conclusion. I'm now figuring out how to sell my current GTX 295's so that I can grab a Radeon HD 5870 or two.

Sooo, do you have good success in using lossless audio over other programs, like the free ones you talked about? I'm going to be using Stereoscopic player playing mkv that have lossless audio in them.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

ImmortalJman is offline  
post #1933 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

The newer ATI/AMD 5 and 6 series along with Nvidia 4 series did/does change the landscape for bitstreaming but these cards still hold up well on their own merits of quality. Specs are still high/er than recently released analog cards. Granted they are player specific and do have analog PAP(no where else) except which only PDVD 9(?) has included with some Realtek analog on board, and of a much lesser spec. Afaik only the ASUS Essence is better for headphone enthusiasts. Even though it requires a display out feed to enable it's capabilities,many have an extra out anyway. I have found the HDAV quality/capabilities(SPDIF in and simultaneous output) perfect for my digitizing LP collection. Latest drivers as of Nov. And it the only option for PAP if you are a die hard XP user. Lastly, since I bought and have it, I'm gonna use it.

From what I can see from RMAA tests though, anything "higher" than about a Xonar DX (~$90) or even lower (I would say many mobo chips as well) very likely has no audible improvements. Rule of thumb is that if you don't hear noise, you're pretty much good with modern chips. Sure the expensive ones may win in the audiophile numbers game, but in the HTPC crowd I like to think we're a little bit better anchored to practical reality (no offense, anyone!)
Andy o is offline  
post #1934 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

Thanks. I was pretty much coming to that conclusion. I'm now figuring out how to sell my current GTX 295's so that I can grab a Radeon HD 5870 or two.

Sooo, do you have good success in using lossless audio over other programs, like the free ones you talked about? I'm going to be using Stereoscopic player playing mkv that have lossless audio in them.

I have finally settled and I'm not really trying new players now. I got TMT3.185 working, but I play most movies in mkv form with MPC-HC and ffdshow, downloaded from xvidvideo.ru. I recently installed Haali Media Splitter and started using it, because it lets me control alternate audio and sub tracks better than the MPC splitter, but it's optional.

ffdshow should work with most DirectShow players, so if that's what you're using, you can bitstream the bluray lossless codecs from those (via ffdshow). The only thing that doesn't work is Dolby Digital Plus, but you'd be hard pressed to find blu-ray content in DD+ (it does work with commercial blu-ray players and Nvidia cards though, not with ATI 5000 cards, and don't know about the 6000 cards).

BTW, the 6900 cards are out, why are you looking at a 5870?
Andy o is offline  
post #1935 of 1939 Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

From what I can see from RMAA tests though, anything "higher" than about a Xonar DX (~$90) or even lower (I would say many mobo chips as well) very likely has no audible improvements. Rule of thumb is that if you don't hear noise, you're pretty much good with modern chips. Sure the expensive ones may win in the audiophile numbers game, but in the HTPC crowd I like to think we're a little bit better anchored to practical reality (no offense, anyone!)

Not so sure claims of better SQ are anchored purely in theory/numbers...

I think many folk at head-fi would strongly disagree with your assertion that the DX sounds as good as a stock Essence ST + H6.
This is even less likely with the right mix of OPAMPS & tweaks on the latter...

Not trying to flame you, but you really need to check out some of the sound card threads over there.
jalyst is offline  
post #1936 of 1939 Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Not so sure claims of better SQ are anchored purely in theory/numbers...

I agree with this statement 100%, but I think it's being directed at the wrong party. I'm not the one claiming better SQ based on theoretical numbers. I'm claiming that there probably is no better audible quality in the higher-priced cards, from RMAA tests (which are anything but theoretical). The audiophile crowd is the one that usually claims much better sound quality from theoretical numbers and hardware parts like OPAMPs. Bear in mind that this crowd is also who usually shuns level-matched double blind tests, so their opinions are anything but objective (in fact many don't even believe in what they call "objectivism" as if it was simply another random ideology).

Quote:
I think many folk at head-fi would strongly disagree with your assertion that the DX sounds as good as a stock Essence ST + H6.
This is even less likely with the right mix of OPAMPS & tweaks on the latter...

Not trying to flame you, but you really need to check out some of the sound card threads over there.

I really don't mind being flamed (it's the internets), I just find that usually it's the other party that gets angry with me and this isn't a forum where I like being too confrontational. But we can still discuss it.

I hung around head-fi for a while a few years back and still check it once in a while, and it doesn't strike me as a bastion of scientific minded people, just headphone enthusiasts of all creeds. Which is fine, but someone's experience needs to be backed up with proper tests. If you know any good double-blind tests on these cards, I'd be interested.

A forum like hydrogenaudio.org for instance, has in its terms of service such a rule, so any claims of audibility must be backed up with proof of a proper test having been done (this is easier with some things like codec or lossy/lossless comparisons), which makes for very interesting, objective discussions. hydrogenaudio is usually hated by many audiophiles though, which tells you something about those particular audiophiles' beliefs.
Andy o is offline  
post #1937 of 1939 Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

I agree with this statement 100%, but I think it's being directed at the wrong party. I'm not the one claiming better SQ based on theoretical numbers. I'm claiming that there probably is no better audible quality in the higher-priced cards, from RMAA tests (which are anything but theoretical). The audiophile crowd is the one that usually claims much better sound quality from theoretical numbers and hardware parts like OPAMPs. Bear in mind that this crowd is also who usually shuns level-matched double blind tests, so their opinions are anything but objective (in fact many don't even believe in what they call "objectivism" as if it was simply another random ideology).

The people you're referring to as "the audiophile crowd", not many see themselves as that (granted there are some tossers), just enthusiasts
Some objective testing like this has been done, although not so sure against the DX, CBF'd looking it up but it's tucked away there, I promise


Quote:
I really don't mind being flamed (it's the internets), I just find that usually it's the other party that gets angry with me and this isn't a forum where I like being too confrontational. But we can still discuss it.
I hung around head-fi for a while a few years back and still check it once in a while, and it doesn't strike me as a bastion of scientific minded people, just headphone enthusiasts of all creeds. Which is fine, but someone's experience needs to be backed up with proper tests. If you know any good double-blind tests on these cards, I'd be interested.

I'm glad you're not offended, that was not my intent
There certainly is some scientifically minded people there, but like any forum there's "all types".
I can't recall where off-the-top-of-my-head, but I do know that some proper quan/qualitative analysis exists there.

Quote:
A forum like hydrogenaudio.org for instance, has in its terms of service such a rule, so any claims of audibility must be backed up with proof of a proper test having been done (this is easier with some things like codec or lossy/lossless comparisons), which makes for very interesting, objective discussions. hydrogenaudio is usually hated by many audiophiles though, which tells you something about those particular audiophiles' beliefs.

I recall reading resounding assessments of ST there also Vs some other card/s, can't recall any direct comparisons with DX though.
There may be some....
jalyst is offline  
post #1938 of 1939 Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Newbie
 
B-Man2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi

i want to connect my ps3 over HDMI into the HDMI in into the soundcard.
and i have picture over HDMI out to my TV.

but i want to hear the sound of the ps3 over the analog speakers ... but it comes only stereo out of them

i can try every setting in the ps3 nothing works ... no dts or dolby
only stereo comes out of the speakers

is there a solution for this ?

thanks
B-Man2005 is offline  
post #1939 of 1939 Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ New thread plz, this thread died over 1yr ago.
Necro-posting is poor netiquette...
jalyst is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off