Auzentech Home Theater 7.1 HDMI thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1939 Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not clear on your point. This is the Auzentech thread, so your comment does not make a lot of sense. That being said you are, unfortunately, right, so the hope is that the Auzentech card is shipped fully functional. One of the biggest remaining questions seems to be whether or not they will include a full version of PowerDVD or just the trial; this will severely impact the value proposition for this card.

Frankly I am unwilling to pay more than about $100 for a card that does not offer TMT or PDVD full version. This means that the Auzentech card, as currently priced, is too expensive. Even if they do include the full PDVD I feel it is too pricey at $250.

My sense is that these cards should be around $150 with a full version of the software. Since none so far are this price I am going to hold off and see what ATI/AMD does. This is especially true if MS puts a proper PAP into Windows 7. I am using WinDVD9 on a G45 system at the present time and the sound is quite good so I feel like I can wait.

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1939 Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, that would be quite cheap wouldn't it, seeing how Power DVD ultra goes for $100 on their site. If you want a full featured Home theater card that supports high quality analog surround, real-time Digital encoding via' DTS-C and Dolby Digital Live and a card that supports all the audio features of HDMI 1.3 specification through LPCM and Bit-streaming I think your going to have to dig a bit deeper in your pocket then that.
post #183 of 1939 Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 PM

ya that would make the card only $50, good luck.
post #184 of 1939 Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

ya that would make the card only $50, good luck.

Not exactly. They do not pay retail for each bundled copy; it is up to them to negotiate a decent price for the OEM copy.

I speak in terms of price at Newegg. Yes, this means the card needs to be less costly. I never said it did not...

So, my feeling is, and this is of course my opinion, that the value proposition really comes on at $150 street price for the bundle. OK, I did not specify MSRP or street price, and for that I will go out back and take out the wet noodle...

Seriously, how many do you think they will sell at $250 ($235 or so street) vs $150 street?

The market will get here. If ASUS and Auzen both manage to get these cards properly on the market and fully functional then we have some competition and thus pressure to lower the price.

For example, if ASUS does manage to get their product stable and functional, or, better yet, come out with a simpler solution lacking the Splendid circuitry as is rumored, then there is immediate pricing pressure downward given the price it sells for. Since they have yet to bring it to market, $249 is the going MSRP for the Auzen card. If Asus hits the market with the rumored card I expect to see this drop fairly soon.

Eventually they will settle at a good value and my guess is that is somewhere around $150 for a simple solution with no frills.

Of course, if ATI/AMD comes out with a PAP enabled version of their cards then all bets are off...

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
post #185 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think they will have any trouble with that price point. Their last two cards have been @ the $200 price point and sold quite well. Take a Prelude which originally retailed for $200 add all the LPCM and bitstreaming HDMI options and that only brings the price up another $50? Not bad at all in my opinion.
post #186 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 AM

I am looking to build a HTPC which would really be a media server/processor. I basically want a computer that will house my ripped Blu-rays, dvds, and all of my music. All on a VERY user friendly interface for my wife and kids. This card sounds perfect to enable bit streaming to my Pioneer Elite 94txh receiver. I tried streaming blu-rays straight to my ps3 but even my N-network couldn't handle it smooth enough.
post #187 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

I asked Auzentech about this "trial PowerDVD" business in their specs:
Thank you for contacting Auzentech.

To get full features in Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD, you need to have the latest version of PowerDVD.

We are discussing this 'Bundle' issue and Schedule of release date with CyberLink continuously. It will also be settled and posted at our website soon.
That they are still deliberating about what software to bundle is a hopeful sign the card might still come with a full version of PDVD. It also sounds as if it might not be proprietary.

I am just wondering (according to quoted message and the latest official specs on the Auzen website):
Does it mean that there is / will be absolutely no way to use this Auzen / Cyberlink combo to play HD DVD discs but Blu-ray only??
And even in order to play Blu-ray with bitstreamed audio will it be necessary to spend additional money and buy full version of PowerDVD?!?
post #188 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBad74 View Post

I am looking to build a HTPC which would really be a media server/processor. I basically want a computer that will house my ripped Blu-rays, dvds, and all of my music. All on a VERY user friendly interface for my wife and kids. This card sounds perfect to enable bit streaming to my Pioneer Elite 94txh receiver. I tried streaming blu-rays straight to my ps3 but even my N-network couldn't handle it smooth enough.

I see two contradictory statements here
post #189 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM

It can be done! My wife and THREE year old love the interface on my other pc we use for DVDs. Point to the picture of the movie you want and click it. I just need to move it to the TV now instead of a monitor.
post #190 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It can be done! My wife and THREE year old love the interface on my other pc we use for DVDs. Point to the picture of the movie you want and click it. I just need to move it to the TV now instead of a monitor.

Perhaps for DVD but there is no single HD player than can play all discs / rips. Especially if you have some HD-DVDs in your collection, even using myMovies.

Adam
post #191 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What software do you use?
post #192 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Perhaps for DVD but there is no single HD player than can play all discs / rips. Especially if you have some HD-DVDs in your collection, even using myMovies.

Adam

Even if all are in m2ts files?
post #193 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if all are in m2ts files?

Are you remuxing to m2ts? I guess in that case you would probably be ok with PDVD7.3 3319a but you still get the issue of downsampling and you probably couldn't bitstream them even if you could load them into PDVD8 (which I don't think you can) which kind of defeats the object of using this card for a lot of people.

Adam
post #194 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Are you remuxing to m2ts? I guess in that case you would probably be ok with PDVD7.3 3319a but you still get the issue of downsampling and you probably couldn't bitstream them even if you could load them into PDVD8 (which I don't think you can) which kind of defeats the object of using this card for a lot of people.

Adam

I used anyHDdvd to rip the blu-ray and ten tsMuxer to keep just the video and DolbyTrueHD track. Of course when I streamed it to the PS3 it would only get sound if I downmixed the TrueHD to AAC. Do you know why the PS3 didnt see the TRUhd?
post #195 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used anyHDdvd to rip the blu-ray and ten tsMuxer to keep just the video and DolbyTrueHD track. Of course when I streamed it to the PS3 it would only get sound if I downmixed the TrueHD to AAC. Do you know why the PS3 didnt see the TRUhd?

Sorry, not used a PS3.

Adam
post #196 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried saving as a Bluray rather than just the m2ts? Should be the same size but maybe the audio will work properly?

Adam
post #197 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Have you tried saving as a Bluray rather than just the m2ts? Should be the same size but maybe the audio will work properly?

Adam

Not yet.
post #198 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried streaming blu-rays straight to my ps3 but even my N-network couldn't handle it smooth enough.

Bluray will definitely be pushing it for a choppy wifi network. You could always go old school wired. All the PS3's have gigabit ports on them.
post #199 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

I don't think they will have any trouble with that price point. Their last two cards have been @ the $200 price point and sold quite well. Take a Prelude which originally retailed for $200 add all the LPCM and bitstreaming HDMI options and that only brings the price up another $50? Not bad at all in my opinion.

Not bad? Why would anyone in there right mind pay $250 for a card that may or may not work when you can get a standalone player with analog outs for that much. $150 max or this card fails just like the Asus is destined to be.
post #200 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne View Post

Not bad? Why would anyone in there right mind pay $250 for a card that may or may not work when you can get a standalone player with analog outs for that much. $150 max or this card fails just like the Asus is destined to be.

Because we are obsessive gadget freaks, that is why! Or am I the only one?

Ask my wife why she has 200 pairs of shoes in her closet! Same reason I have 3 different ways to get PCM audio out of my computer! BECAUSE I CAN!
post #201 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

because we are obsessive gadget freaks, that is why! Or am i the only one?

Ask my wife why she has 200 pairs of shoes in her closet! Same reason i have 3 different ways to get pcm audio out of my computer! Because i can!

amen !!
post #202 of 1939 Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
Bad news, and good news: the release date has been pushed back to late January 2009, but it sounds as if it will now come with a full version of PDVD:

• Press Release - 11.07.2008

Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD Soundcard Rescheduled for January 2009

Santa Clara, CA — November 7, 2008: Auzentech, Inc.(www.auzentech.com) has revised the release date for the Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD soundcard to the last week of January 2009. The Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD soundcard is the world's first native PCI Express® soundcard that is fully HDMI v1.3a Compliant, providing non-downsampled audio even during playback of 24p video.

"I regret delaying the product release," said Stephane Bae, president of Auzentech, Inc. "The decision came suddenly due to strategic marketing changes by our partners. These partners have been instrumental in making the Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD an industry-supported audio solution. When it is released at the end of January, it will include the necessary software to access the advanced HD capabilities of the soundcard—and much of that software comes from our partners."

The Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD soundcard can play Blu-ray Audio with no downsampling, and play high bit-rate audio such as Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream without altering the original sound. Because it provides non-downsampled audio during 24p video playback (the same video framerate seen in theaters), the Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD soundcard allows you to enjoy Blu-ray movies in their full glory.

The Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD soundcard was originally scheduled for release in September / October of 2008. http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php
post #203 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Cyberlink sucks, who would have thought?

Adam
post #204 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 AM

So do I need HDMI input for HMDI output to be working? If so, then this card is dead for me. I need my two monitor outs ...
post #205 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, This card requires a DVI/HDMI input signal to mix into the output audio. That is the whole reason for this card. If you cannot send it any video signal chances are it will not output any audio at all.
post #206 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

That is the whole reason for this card.

I can't quite agree, this card is obviously also a gamers card (EAX support). Gamers have different needs than HTC users.

These are my needs for an ideal soundcard:

- HD Digital Audio Out (This would be HDMI now. The problem with HDMI is, that it needs a video signal. So, the soundcard should add a blank screen, when not fed with something else)
- Headphone Out / Mic In (For every location not at home e.g. LAN party and at home for voice chat etc.)
- EAX support (I'm a gamer, I need this)
(- Linux support) (This is utopic and most other people don't need it)

I think the problem lies therein, that a standard for HD Audio transmission is missing. Somebody should have develop a successor to S/P-DIF. HMDI is not an option because it requires a video stream. DisplayPort e.g. is micro packet based and both video and audio is optional, that's how HDMI should work.

I also really like my monitors directly connected to my graphics card.
- I like to have more than 1 monitor connected
- My reciever is standing quite a few meters away from my pc, and I don't want to have two 10 meter HDMI cables, where one should be totally suffiecent
- Most monitors have molested output with HDMI input
- Input lag gets probably worse when the signal is fed through an reciever
- Reciever don't support more obscure resolutions

All in all I have to wait for another generation of soundcards and still have to be happy with my Audigy 2 ZS (my second, the first one died. And I didn't bought a Xi-Fi, because I need Linux support)
post #207 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I understand that also, it will attract may different types of buyers I didn't want to give you the wrong idea. Maybe you could use some type of splitter to feed the card a video signal. When I said the "whole reason for this card" I meant the current design for the HDMI output is to take a video signal and integrate it with the audio signal from the card and output it to a receiver. Some will buy this card for analog gaming. Some will buy it for other reasons. I can't say for 100% certainty but I would think if you don't have a video signal present you will get no audio either.
post #208 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
See you all in January! (I bet it ends up being February)
post #209 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

See you all in January! (I bet it ends up being February)

harhar, "the last week of January" is the polite way to say "February" (or gosh, maybe even March!).
post #210 of 1939 Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Frick, I blame PowerDVD (which is what it sounds like they're doing).

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page