How to handle two different monitors with just one computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one computer for working at day with a widescreen monitor and for watching HD Blue-ray at night with a HDTV Projector.

The problem is that I have to unplug one of the DVI cables and change the resolution (1920 x 1200 for the Dell monitor and 1280 x 720 for the Panasonic projector) whenever I want to switch functions in the system.

Is there any way to keep the two displays connected with their corresponding resolutions? Maybe with 2 video cards? Any recommendation for the cards? The one I currently have is a GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3, which is probably an overkill for just dvd playback? (I am not interested in gaming)

Dell XPS/Dimension XPS 710
Intel 2 Core 2600 @ 2.4 GHZ
GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 PCI-E Card + 3GB RAM
Dell 2405 FPW Widescreen Monitor
Panasonic PTAX-200U 720p HDTV projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM

both ATI and Nvidia cards have extended desktops and multiple monitor features. I have a 1080p projector always hooked up to monitor 2 output of my video card and my LCD hooked up to the other port of my video card no problems. With the gtx you have, right click on the desktop and manage multiple displays and use dual view (different resolutions on 2 monitors).. Im at work now so i don't have access to my home computer but it is pretty standard stuff these days.

Craig
post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarros View Post

Is there any way to keep the two displays connected with their corresponding resolutions? Maybe with 2 video cards? Any recommendation for the cards? The one I currently have is a GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3, which is probably an overkill for just dvd playback? (I am not interested in gaming)

Your 8800 doesn't have dual display output (two DVI ports)? Strange.

Well yes, you can install another video card to add more monitors, and Windows can extend your desktop and give each an independent resolution.

Note that if you try to play back BD discs on a secondary monitor, you're likely to have HDCP issues.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page