IGP & Player options for accelerated MPEG-2 & H.264 playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies in advance if these questions are newbie-ish. I am, in fact, a newbie at this.

I'm looking at building a HTPC based around the Silverstone LC19 slim case, and the Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuner. The primary use will be recording ATSC over-the-air broadcasts, but I also want to use it as a DVD player.

I'm open to Linux or Windows. If Linux, I'd probably use MythTV. If Windows, probably SageTV unless there are better options. My preference would be Linux, but from what I gather the hardware acceleration on playback isn't supported as well.

Since the LC19 case only has one expansion slot, I'm going to need to use and IGP solution for video since the tuner will take up the expansion slot. The IGP contenders seemd to be the Intel GMA X4500HD, the Nvidia Geforce 8200, and the ATI Radeon 3200 HD.

Which IGP solution (and OS/Software combo) is my best bet for HW accelerated HD (MPEG-2 and H.264) playback?

Also, if Windows, will it require Vista, or can I make do with XP? (I already have a copy of XP I can use- would have to purchase Vista separately.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page