AMD's new X2 5050e 2.6GHz 45W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to speculation AMD has a new 45W dual core processor coming out October 8. The 5050e should slightly outperform the venerable 4850e since it is clocked a 100MHz higher than the 4850e.

I can't decide if I want to go with the X2 5050e with the ATI 4550, or go low ultra power and undervolt the 9550 to 65W and use the 780M (MSI 7411). Decisions, decisions...

As an aside, I really wish AMD would bump up the HT speed on this part and the X2 "e series" in general. Bumping up the HT speed on these CPUs to support HT 2.0 would (for me) make them the perfect HTPC CPU to have with an integrated ATI IGP. In addition to great video post processing, you could even do a bit of lite gaming, all on a budget since these procs are clocked decently high. Unfortunately, since the HT speeds are stuck at 1GHz the post processing stinks and gaming likely suffers. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 AM

What about a dual core Atom 330? Uses 8w and cost 40 USD. 1,6GHz!

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Arcam rDAC, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: Panasonic TX-P65VT50, HTPC: ATI 280x, Windows 8.1 with blu-ray
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post

What about a dual core Atom 330? Uses 8w and cost 40 USD. 1,6GHz!

Kirk: Scotty, we need HD video in 3 minutes or we'll all dead!
Scotty: She can-nuh take 720p captain. She'll blow sky high!

Besides, the chipset and Intel mandated platform limitations are tough to accept (1 1x PCIe slot, 2GB RAM, etc.). Maybe when they come out with dual core ATOMs it might become a viable HTPC candidate for some.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM

That article does not mention the use of hardware acceleration, so I guess the Atom may be viable with the newer ATI 46xx cards.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymode View Post

That article does not mention the use of hardware acceleration, so I guess the Atom may be viable with the newer ATI 46xx cards.

except intel does not allow atom to be sold on a board with a PCI-E slot. your best bet for something like this would be the new via nano, it should be able to be paired with a 3450 or something quite easily
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheNanite View Post

Besides, the chipset and Intel mandated platform limitations are tough to accept (1 1x PCIe slot, 2GB RAM, etc.). Maybe when they come out with dual core ATOMs it might become a viable HTPC candidate for some.

Dual Core Atoms is out. Just check the one you replied to

Here: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Offic...ticle13016.htm

The processor has an 8W TDP and supports DDR2 667 RAM. Intel says that the new Atom is available as an integrated package and has been validated with the Intel 945GC Express chipset. The chipset features integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and Intel High Definition Audio.

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Arcam rDAC, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: Panasonic TX-P65VT50, HTPC: ATI 280x, Windows 8.1 with blu-ray
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post

Dual Core Atoms is out. Just check the one you replied to

Here: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Offic...ticle13016.htm

The processor has an 8W TDP and supports DDR2 667 RAM. Intel says that the new Atom is available as an integrated package and has been validated with the Intel 945GC Express chipset. The chipset features integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and Intel High Definition Audio.

Cool... I heard they were announced but I didn't know they were shipping product at this point. I thought the GP was just talking about the announcement.

Still the platform limitations kill this as an HTPC for me. I haven't seen an Atom board with more than 1 PCIe slot. That means you have to choose between great video (discreet GPU) or great audio (discreet sound card). Additionally, Vista will run Ok (not great) with the imposed 2GB RAM limit and ATOM's marginally capable CPU.

By the time you end up working around all of these limitations you might as well get a low power Intel or AMD IGP solution which will be more flexible and future proof.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheNanite View Post

Single core atom 1.6ghz can manage 720p x264 - admittedly with absolutely nothing to spare on my MSi Wind clone (80% ish, better not try multitasking, but it's smooth and no dropped frames). A dual might just be OK with 1080p.

Of course, it's crying out for an IGP.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've seen tests that prove the dual core atom is fine at 1080p...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page