HDHomeRun for use with PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading around in here and on the net but I am not getting a concise answer to some questions.

Can the HDHomeRun record OTA HD material from a digital antenna on a PC in a format that the PS3 can read?

Will the PS3 be able to transmit 5.1 audio from the file?

Will this file be too large for the PS3's FAT32 storage system?

I think I understand that the PS3 can not read nor stream a file larger than 4GIG.
I do not really require a stream from a PC over my network via WiFi in order to view the recorded OTAHD programs on my PS3. I would be fine with moving the file via a large USB thumb drive in order to watch the video.

The Entertainment Cave II coming soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM

The HDHR is just a digital networked tuner. It outputs the video stream in the same MPEG2 that is transmitted by the stations. It's up to the PC receiving the stream to just stream it to disk, or recode it. I use it with Vista media center, which I believe just streams straight to disk. 1 hr 1080i program ends up 5-7GB. It's in the dvr-ms container, so I doubt the PS3 could play that without a recode.
I would visit silicondust.com and go to their forums to get an idea of what other people are doing with it. Media center is the most popular app to run the HDHR with, but there are definitely others, that probably suit what you're doing better.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM

You would need a third party program on the PC that has recorded the software to stream to the PS3. There are several programs. Some free some pay for. Check out Tversity and Simplecenter.

Just to be clear. You would need a HTPC to record the files on from HD Home Run. This PC would also run a (uPNP) Media Server like Simplecenter to transcode the data for use by PS3. (NERO has one too)

Good Luck.

If you wanted to stream directly from HDHome Run you would need to load some variant of linux with MythTV on the PS3. Maybe MythBuntu or Mythdora can be loaded on PS3 (I haven't really looked at this).
post #4 of 11 Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Not interested in streaming to the PS3.
Transcoding, does that mean changing the audio and video?
Would that result in some loss of quality?

What are the other available programs that would suit me better?
Thanks for the help.
Newbie to this....

The Entertainment Cave II coming soon.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM

The short answer is yes, you can, but not with catches.

First about watching in realtime: HDHomeRun cannot directly stream to PS3, unless there are customized SW on PS3 to support it. Realtime transcoding is theoretically possible, but I guess you'll have to make sacrifice in quality.

Now about recording it, post process it, then watch; there are many ways to achieve this: ATSC broadcast is basically MPEG-2 video stream and AC3 audio stream in transport stream encapsulation; now both MPEG-2 and AC3 are supported by PS3 already, but I'm not sure if PS3 is capable of reading TS record streams directly. But with post processing, you can change the encapsulation to program stream, or even re-encode it in AVC.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You would need a HTPC to record the files on from HD Home Run.

Wrong. You dont need a dedicated HTPC to capture High Def. Just a plain old pc with an ethernet port. Capturing the stream doesn't require much CPU power. The HDhomerun just dumps the digital stream on the pc and does not transcode anything.

@ OP - Yes, the PC can play High Definition ATSC files. The PS3 can read .ts, mpeg, etc files and it will ouput 5.1 if you choose the optical output. It all depends on the Bitrate and other settings of the video file. Your best chance of finding out which files it will play is too check the video playback list for the PS3 on its website.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html
post #7 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HDHomeRun user discussion on PS3 playback: http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3670

Short synopsis: Remux the video to .m2ts format.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Has anybody tried streaming HDTV streams recorded with the HDHomeRun to a PS3 using the new java-based PS3 Media Server?

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

(Well, I guess I will, since I have the HDHomeRun on order from Newegg, since my Fusion HDTV 7 Gold RT doesn't appear to detect any QAM channels that my Pioneer Plasma does...)

I'll post my results when I get the HDHomeRun early next week.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM

I was considering going the route of the HDHomerun for recordings streamed to the PS3, but I decided to just build a HTPC from scratch instead. RalphArch was a big help in answering my questions, and you can find a very informative post here. Basically you should be able to start the recording from your computer and stream the recording to the PS3 via PS3 Media Server even before the recording is complete. If you want to get really slick, you can go to this link and read about integrating the PS3 browser with Yahoo Pipes for a nice interface. That's how I was planning to do it, but I never did so I have no experience with any of this...just my research.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Kalrith!

Looks like I'm on the right track...
post #11 of 11 Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinH View Post

I have been reading around in here and on the net but I am not getting a concise answer to some questions.

Can the HDHomeRun record OTA HD material from a digital antenna on a PC in a format that the PS3 can read?

I recorded a show using TM on my laptop.
I transferred the file to a D-LINK NAS DNS-321 (raid-1), which supports uPNP-AV.

I am playing the video right now. No problems!
I am very happy!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page