Guide To Building A Media Storage Server - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5131 of 7891 Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have been reading the manuals for both the areca ARC-1680ix and the Supermicro chassis. I see that both support I2C and SPGIO. I am a little confused as to if I will need both a SFF-8087-to-SATA cable with sideband and a cable for the I2C jumper in order to get Activity LED/Fault LED, etc or will I simply need the fanout with sideband. Any help is appreciated.

If I understand this correctly, I only need the SFF-8087-to-SATA which include the SFF-8485 or SFF-8448 cable for the SPGIO bus. This will give me the LED statuses I need? What is confusion the heck out of me are the two different specification SFF-8448 and SFF-8485. In the areca manual it references SFF-8485 while the Adaptec cable reference SFF-8448. Is SFF-8448 referring to the pin header while SFF-8485 referring more to the specification for the communication, or are there actually two different cable headers?

As you can see I need a little help to decide which cable I actually need to get the correct functionality.


Also since you already have this case, which cable would be long enough without having a lot of cable to clean-up, 0.5M, 1M, or 1.5M?
giza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5132 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Member
 
vidkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Has anyone tried running any amount of WD20EADS drives in a RAID even though TLER is disabled? Part of me thinks it may still be doable since TLER is really only an issue when the need for a deep error recovery cycle comes up, which theoretically would happen when the drive's probably having "bigger problems" that would require a swap out anyway. It's worth some testing in any case but with no less than RAID6!

Odditory, I don't know when my drives were manufactured but I couldn't get them to enable TLER either. Therefore, I am currently running 6 W20EADS in a RAID6 with TLER disabled. Been going strong for a few months now at least and no issues yet.

Linux - DRM free since 1992

The Media Viking
vidkun is offline  
post #5133 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkun View Post

Odditory, I don't know when my drives were manufactured but I couldn't get them to enable TLER either. Therefore, I am currently running 6 W20EADS in a RAID6 with TLER disabled. Been going strong for a few months now at least and no issues yet.

If you are running them in software RAID in linux, I think you will find them to work fine. Linux RAID seems to be fairly intelligent about how to deal with drive timeouts and such, and will not dump the drive for a single timeout.

Hardware RAID controllers (which often are used in transactional environments that have specific timing needs) are much more fussy.
MikeSM is offline  
post #5134 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post

Ok, I have been reading the manuals for both the areca ARC-1680ix and the Supermicro chassis. I see that both support I2C and SPGIO. I am a little confused as to if I will need both a SFF-8087-to-SATA cable with sideband and a cable for the I2C jumper in order to get Activity LED/Fault LED, etc or will I simply need the fanout with sideband. Any help is appreciated.

If I understand this correctly, I only need the SFF-8087-to-SATA which include the SFF-8485 or SFF-8448 cable for the SPGIO bus. This will give me the LED statuses I need? What is confusion the heck out of me are the two different specification SFF-8448 and SFF-8485. In the areca manual it references SFF-8485 while the Adaptec cable reference SFF-8448. Is SFF-8448 referring to the pin header while SFF-8485 referring more to the specification for the communication, or are there actually two different cable headers?

As you can see I need a little help to decide which cable I actually need to get the correct functionality.


Also since you already have this case, which cable would be long enough without having a lot of cable to clean-up, 0.5M, 1M, or 1.5M?



Just in case anyone else will be looking for SFF-8087 to 4 SATA cables with sideband for the areca controller, you can get them from this link: Tekram Online
giza is offline  
post #5135 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, TigerDirect.com have a good deal on the Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K Internal Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G. Use bing.com cashback and get an additional 8% off.
giza is offline  
post #5136 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Magius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

If you are running them in software RAID in linux, I think you will find them to work fine.

I agree with Mike. I'm a complete Linux noob, but I did a lot of reading before committing myself down this path. From everything I've read, mdadm does not time out drives that go into a deep error recovery cycle the way a hardware RAID controller would. Assuming this is true,and again just citing what I've read, the downside of this is that when a disk does go into such a mode (for potentially minutes at a time) the md stack will hang up the entire md device until the disk is done.

So basically, my own summary after putting all the "facts?" together was something like this:
If you're on a home server where performance doesn't really matter, letting the md array hang up for a minute while a disk tries in depth error recovery is probably acceptable, thus enabling TLER is not really required. However, this is often indicative of a deteriorating drive anyway, so at the very least you need to have good monitoring/logging to inform you that a drive has been recovering or remapping bad blocks. Otherwise you'll never know the disk is having problems, like you would immediately when TLER forces it to bail out.

On the other hand, if you're in any kind of production environment where hanging up the array for a minute, or several, is a problem, enabling TLER and letting md try to cope with the error like a hardware RAID controller would is the way to go.

Each user will have to ultimately make the decision on their own, but for me I decided I can live without TLER this time around (my old server based on RE2s had it). What I really miss is the 5yr warranty...
Magius is offline  
post #5137 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Member
 
mkbnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

The HP part# 468406-B21

We're all talking about the same card, he just got lucky and snagged one for $69. I just bought a couple for $125 each, and at the price I still consider it a steal, because I'm going to try driving two of them with an Adaptec 5805 for a proof of concept, which should be no problem. Since I paid $350 for the Adaptec 5805, it would mean 48 ports @ RAID6 for total $600 = WIN.

I own an Adaptec 3805...is the HP expander compatible with it? I currently have 8 drives hooked to it directly (2 SFF-8087-to-SATA cables, 4 drives on each port), but reading this makes me think I can buy this HP port expander card, add the HP port expander card into my extra PCIe x16 slot (runs at 8x), and add more drives to my RAID 6 array...is that what these posts are saying (if the Adaptec 3805 is compatible). If it isn't is there another port expander I can add? I can have up to 24 drives in my case...would love to expand my current RAID system.

Can you let me know?

Thanks!
mkbnh is offline  
post #5138 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbnh View Post

I own an Adaptec 3805...is the HP expander compatible with it? I currently have 8 drives hooked to it directly (2 SFF-8087-to-SATA cables, 4 drives on each port), but reading this makes me think I can buy this HP port expander card, add the HP port expander card into my extra PCIe x16 slot (runs at 8x), and add more drives to my RAID 6 array...is that what these posts are saying (if the Adaptec 3805 is compatible). If it isn't is there another port expander I can add? I can have up to 24 drives in my case...would love to expand my current RAID system.

Can you let me know?

Thanks!

The 3XXX series is supposedly compatible with expanders, and the HP expander seems to be the best of the bunch compatibility wise. If I have time before flying to CES I may try hooking up my old 31605 to it and confirm it.
MikeSM is offline  
post #5139 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
giza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys think that this slim bluray drive will work in the Supermicro chassis: SilverStone TOB02 Slim Blu-Ray/DVD Combo DVD Plus RW Drive?
giza is offline  
post #5140 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Member
 
davidhoenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question for the Norco case users out there. Does anyone using the 4220 and SFF-8087 connectors get drive temperature in WHS?

I am using a supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller card and I was getting drive temps when connecting a 8087 breakout to another chassis with a SATA hot swap board, but not after switching to the norco.
davidhoenig is offline  
post #5141 of 7891 Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I did find a solution (sort of) for powering the HP SAS expander without having to stick it into a live PCI-E motherboard slot.

There are folks who make PCIE adapters to allow video cards to be connected to mini-PCIE laptop slots. This is an x16 adapter that does this and takes power from a molex connector: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html It's about $85 as far as I can tell though, so expensive.

If you can find a cheap x16 to x1 adapter though, you could use this: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L.html which is only $55.

But the best bet is this: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PM2C.html which is only $25, with a x16 to x1 adapter like this one: http://www.papyrus.co.il/Products/pc...nsion_card.htm

Total overkill, but it would do the job. Too bad someone like Chenbro can't make a decent expander based on the PMC Sierra chipset...
MikeSM is offline  
post #5142 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Member
 
seang86s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Guys, I did find a solution (sort of) for powering the HP SAS expander without having to stick it into a live PCI-E motherboard slot.

There are folks who make PCIE adapters to allow video cards to be connected to mini-PCIE laptop slots. This is an x16 adapter that does this and takes power from a molex connector: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html It's about $85 as far as I can tell though, so expensive.

How about a PICMG backplane? Basically, these are entire motherboards on a card that plug into a backplane of your choice giving you the slot configuration you need. The backplane has the ATX power connectors on it so forget the motherboard card and get a backplane with a PCIe slot on it. Here's one for $42 but it's designed for a 1U case (meaning the PCIe card mounts horizontal). http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-...10-p-9375.html.

Here's one for $48 that has one PCIe x16 slot and two PCIe x1 slots. http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-4s3-r10-p-2309.html. The HP SAS expander has a PCIe x8 connector. This one might have ATX mounting holes.
seang86s is offline  
post #5143 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
speedoflight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoenig View Post

I have a question for the Norco case users out there. Does anyone using the 4220 and SFF-8087 connectors get drive temperature in WHS?

I am using a supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller card and I was getting drive temps when connecting a 8087 breakout to another chassis with a SATA hot swap board, but not after switching to the norco.

I have 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8's in my WHS and I'm getting drive temps in the Disk Management addin from them. I do not get drive temps from the MOBO sata ports because I have the ports set to AHCI and AMD's AHCI drivers are bundled with their RAID drivers which causes no SMART data to pass. My MOBO attached drives aren't even recognized by Speedfan.
speedoflight is online now  
post #5144 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seang86s View Post

How about a PICMG backplane? Basically, these are entire motherboards on a card that plug into a backplane of your choice giving you the slot configuration you need. The backplane has the ATX power connectors on it so forget the motherboard card and get a backplane with a PCIe slot on it. Here's one for $42 but it's designed for a 1U case (meaning the PCIe card mounts horizontal). http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-...10-p-9375.html.

Here's one for $48 that has one PCIe x16 slot and two PCIe x1 slots. http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-4s3-r10-p-2309.html. The HP SAS expander has a PCIe x8 connector. This one might have ATX mounting holes.

Very nice. And given you've got an ATX PSU in the enclosure anyway, it doesn't matter if it's driven with a molex or 24 pin supply connector.

Thx
Milo
MikeSM is offline  
post #5145 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
myrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seang86s View Post

How about a PICMG backplane? Basically, these are entire motherboards on a card that plug into a backplane of your choice giving you the slot configuration you need. The backplane has the ATX power connectors on it so forget the motherboard card and get a backplane with a PCIe slot on it. Here's one for $42 but it's designed for a 1U case (meaning the PCIe card mounts horizontal). http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-...10-p-9375.html.

Here's one for $48 that has one PCIe x16 slot and two PCIe x1 slots. http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-4s3-r10-p-2309.html. The HP SAS expander has a PCIe x8 connector. This one might have ATX mounting holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Very nice. And given you've got an ATX PSU in the enclosure anyway, it doesn't matter if it's driven with a molex or 24 pin supply connector.

Thx
Milo

Agreed, now if we can just find piles of HP SAS expanders for $50, we'll be in business.
myrison is offline  
post #5146 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Tom_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to in the thread so far (if I missed it please let me know)...

I want to build a server around the Norco 4220 case (or a 24-bay case if one is in the works?) but do NOT want Raid. I simply want 10 (or 12) drives as "main" drives, and the other set (same quantity) as manual backup copies. (i.e, I'll copy files to the backup drives myself).

This system is going to be the BD/DVD backup library, with a copy of each movie on two drives for redundancy. It will run Win 7. The HTPC (using 7MC) will pull and mount the .iso's from this server's main drives over gbit ethernet, and I'll use MediaBrowser's "drive / folder grouping" functionality to bring the mapped / shared drives together into sub-libraries. The data on the server isn't going to change (only be added to), and I don't mind manually copying an image file to a second drive everytime I do a rip. So, I can't see why I'd bother with a Raid 5 setup or similar.

Can anyone suggest a good cost-effective controller card(s) and cables that would work in this server scenario, WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg for Raid controllers? Motherboard for the server is an ASUS P7P55D Pro.

Thanks!
Tom_L is offline  
post #5147 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
the_beast666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_L View Post

Hi, I have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to in the thread so far (if I missed it please let me know)...

I want to build a server around the Norco 4220 case (or a 24-bay case if one is in the works?) but do NOT want Raid. I simply want 10 (or 12) drives as "main" drives, and the other set (same quantity) as manual backup copies. (i.e, I'll copy files to the backup drives myself).

This system is going to be the BD/DVD backup library, with a copy of each movie on two drives for redundancy. It will run Win 7. The HTPC (using 7MC) will pull and mount the .iso's from this server's main drives over gbit ethernet, and I'll use MediaBrowser's "drive / folder grouping" functionality to bring the mapped / shared drives together into sub-libraries. The data on the server isn't going to change (only be added to), and I don't mind manually copying an image file to a second drive everytime I do a rip. So, I can't see why I'd bother with a Raid 5 setup or similar.

Can anyone suggest a good cost-effective controller card(s) and cables that would work in this server scenario, WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg for Raid controllers? Motherboard for the server is an ASUS P7P55D Pro.

Thanks!

The best system for you is the one most often touted around here - the Supermicro HBAs. They are not RAID adapters, and are as cheap as you can get decent controllers for. You can run software RAID, WHS duplication or just keep the drives separate - the choice is yours.

For your setup I would probably want to keep the drives separated also - that way you save money and wear & tear because all the disks aren't always spinning, and you also avoid any potential problems with viruses or psu failures damaging your backup copies.
the_beast666 is offline  
post #5148 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
odditory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess its time to get in gear and edit the original post of this thread with actual pictures and parts lists as was my original intention, since the same questions come up over and over.

@Tom_L: as beast said, the part you want is the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Ports SAS RAID Controller. It's just an HBA meaning no raid functionality so for around $100 you get 8 hot swappable ports. I just bought two of them at Buy.com recently for around $100 and they're great cards. Pretty much anything with the Supermicro label on it is solid. Also there are good third party utilities out there (some of them free) that will handle syncing your data between drives on a schedule - no need to do it manually.

http://www.buy.com/prod/supermicro-a...211410774.html

odditory is offline  
post #5149 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
odditory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrison View Post

Agreed, now if we can just find piles of HP SAS expanders for $50, we'll be in business.

there *are* piles of them out there - seemingly sitting in the grey market (you know those tech resellers on ebay that take liquidation/going out of biz inventory and try to turn it around). of course they're all looking to get at least $150, you can usually talk them down to $125 and once in a while someone will 'auction' one with no reserve and you'll get it for some ridiculous $60 pricepoint.

consider even at $125, getting 24 ports and the superior PMC sierra chip - that's nothing to sneeze at. we're getting awfully spoiled.

@seang86s: NICE find on the PCIe boards at orbitmicro.
odditory is offline  
post #5150 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Member
 
pgjensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In case anyone wants a cheap software solution for raid... the LSI 3442E-R PCI-e card is awesome. It has an external and internal port and supports expanders. It's a JBOD or RAID1 card so you just use it for JBOD and use WHS or Linux RAID. I got mine for $100 and have a 16 bay SAS JBOD expander hooked up to it.

The best part... you can set drive timeout to 120s on the card, so ANY SATA drives will work even through SAS.

Linux drivers are built into the kernel and are very stable, too.
pgjensen is offline  
post #5151 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Member
 
starcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjensen View Post

In case anyone wants a cheap software solution for raid... the LSI 3442E-R PCI-e card is awesome. It has an external and internal port and supports expanders. It's a JBOD or RAID1 card so you just use it for JBOD and use WHS or Linux RAID. I got mine for $100 and have a 16 bay SAS JBOD expander hooked up to it.

The best part... you can set drive timeout to 120s on the card, so ANY SATA drives will work even through SAS.

Linux drivers are built into the kernel and are very stable, too.

And the best thing is, it can be had for as low as $70 on ebay.com. It works with Solaris and support is being worked right now also for unRAID. Awesome card and highly recommended! JBOD mode needs a firmware reflash (for reflash to work put the card in 4x or 8x PCIe slot, not 16x graphics slot).

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
starcat is offline  
post #5152 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_L View Post

Hi, I have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to in the thread so far (if I missed it please let me know)...

I want to build a server around the Norco 4220 case (or a 24-bay case if one is in the works?) but do NOT want Raid. I simply want 10 (or 12) drives as "main" drives, and the other set (same quantity) as manual backup copies. (i.e, I'll copy files to the backup drives myself).

This system is going to be the BD/DVD backup library, with a copy of each movie on two drives for redundancy. It will run Win 7. The HTPC (using 7MC) will pull and mount the .iso's from this server's main drives over gbit ethernet, and I'll use MediaBrowser's "drive / folder grouping" functionality to bring the mapped / shared drives together into sub-libraries. The data on the server isn't going to change (only be added to), and I don't mind manually copying an image file to a second drive everytime I do a rip. So, I can't see why I'd bother with a Raid 5 setup or similar.

Can anyone suggest a good cost-effective controller card(s) and cables that would work in this server scenario, WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg for Raid controllers? Motherboard for the server is an ASUS P7P55D Pro.

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

What you want to accomplish is actually quite simple and refers to a JBOD setup (Just a Bunch Of Disks).

The SuperMicro SATA HBA mentioned is the best choice to simply add more SATA ports in addition to the motherboard's existing SATA ports.

I think I understand what your intention is here because I've set this up for a friend a before. It's a simple solution and allows you to grow your collection using independant disks and still have an offsite backup of your media collection.

If I'm not mistaken, the Asus P55D Pro has an eSATA port and you should take full advantage of it by getting one of these. I have one and it works great for both 3.5" and 2.5" drives at full SATA speed.

Each time you add a new (2TB?) drive inside your system to grow your media collection and another (2TB?) drive into the dock. Label the drive in the dock the same as your internal drive but with the suffix BACKUP. So the 1st internal media storage drive is Disk1 and the dock drive is Disk1-BACKUP.

Now each time you rip media and store it on the internal disk, drop a copy onto the drive that's docked. Both will fill up at the same time. When full eject the docked drive, place it in the antistatic bag it came in and store it offsite (parents/family member's place, office, bank safety deposit box...).

Then continue the cycle with Disk2 and so on. Now you have a full offsite backup of your media that's protected from theft, fire, virus and user error. It's simple and it works.
MiBz is offline  
post #5153 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Member
 
starcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_L View Post

Hi, I have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to in the thread so far (if I missed it please let me know)...

I want to build a server around the Norco 4220 case (or a 24-bay case if one is in the works?) but do NOT want Raid. I simply want 10 (or 12) drives as "main" drives, and the other set (same quantity) as manual backup copies. (i.e, I'll copy files to the backup drives myself).

This system is going to be the BD/DVD backup library, with a copy of each movie on two drives for redundancy. It will run Win 7. The HTPC (using 7MC) will pull and mount the .iso's from this server's main drives over gbit ethernet, and I'll use MediaBrowser's "drive / folder grouping" functionality to bring the mapped / shared drives together into sub-libraries. The data on the server isn't going to change (only be added to), and I don't mind manually copying an image file to a second drive everytime I do a rip. So, I can't see why I'd bother with a Raid 5 setup or similar.

Can anyone suggest a good cost-effective controller card(s) and cables that would work in this server scenario, WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg for Raid controllers? Motherboard for the server is an ASUS P7P55D Pro.
Thanks!

You BEST do this with unRAID. Really. Drives not needed will be spun down on INDIVIDIAL basis. And you don't need to copy anything manually. And directory virtualization/grouping is available too. Supermicro X7SBE, two Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards can get you 20..24 drives instantly and expand drive by drive; no need to put all in at once. Put an LSI 3442E-R and use its external SAS to connect to a second and thirds chasis (support is being worked right on for this cards, it actually already works). Get yourself the IPMI 2.0 management board for the X7SBE and you won't need to connect a monitor/keyboard even for changing BIOS settings. Awesome. Do yourself a favor, go to Lime Technology and read about it.

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
starcat is offline  
post #5154 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
the_beast666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post

And the best thing is, it can be had for as low as $70 on ebay.com. It works with Solaris and support is being worked right now also for unRAID. Awesome card and highly recommended! JBOD mode needs a firmware reflash (for reflash to work put the card in 4x or 8x PCIe slot, not 16x graphics slot).

I got an HP SC40Ge from eBay for ~$22 shipped, including cables. It is an LSI-3042 (ie the same card but with only the internal port). I am hoping I can flash an LSI BIOS to access a few more features (RAID10, true JBOD etc), but even if it won't work I'm pretty happy, as I intend to use it with 2 RAID1 SAS arrays anyhow.

The bargains are definately there to be had...
the_beast666 is offline  
post #5155 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Member
 
EViS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's finally time to get my server build on the road. Having read most of the posts in this tiny thread, I have a couple of questions, albeit a bit specific...

a ) In reference to the Norco 4220, what are the reverse breakout cables for and if required, how many do I need?

I'd ideally like to use parts from my current desktop. However I'm not willing to skimp on a quality media storage (and TV distribution) server thus will buy new parts if need be. I am after low power useage as a priority.

My current ATX Asus P5B has the following expansion ports:

2 x PCI-E x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x2 or x4 mode)
1 x PCI-E x1 (x1 or diabled mode)

b ) Will I be able to install 1 AOC-SASLP-MV8 in the black x4 PCI-E slot and 1 in the blue x16 PCI-E slot? The blue slot currently has my GPU which I will be selling.

c ) Does the above MOBO allow for hot swap on the HDD's?

d ) Is there any reason not use the above MOBO? It is a full size ATX, is this likely to course any problems in the Norco 4220 or in the forseable future?

e ) Will a 500W PSU (Seasonic S12 ATX2.0) be sufficient for a C2D e6600 with 10 HDD's?

f ) Will a Scythe Mine Quiet CPU Cooler (dimensions: 109(w) x 105(d) x 150(h) mm) fit in the Norco 4220?
EViS is offline  
post #5156 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Piglover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EViS View Post

It's finally time to get my server build on the road. Having read most of the posts in this tiny thread, I have a couple of questions, albeit a bit specific...

a ) In reference to the Norco 4220, what are the reverse breakout cables for and if required, how many do I need?

I'd ideally like to use parts from my current desktop. However I'm not willing to skimp on a quality media storage (and TV distribution) server thus will buy new parts if need be. I am after low power useage as a priority.

My current ATX Asus P5B has the following expansion ports:

2 x PCI-E x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x2 or x4 mode)
1 x PCI-E x1 (x1 or diabled mode)

b ) Will I be able to install 1 AOC-SASLP-MV8 in the black x4 PCI-E slot and 1 in the blue x16 PCI-E slot? The blue slot currently has my GPU which I will be selling.

c ) Does the above MOBO allow for hot swap on the HDD's?

d ) Is there any reason not use the above MOBO? It is a full size ATX, is this likely to course any problems in the Norco 4220 or in the forseable future?

e ) Will a 500W PSU (Seasonic S12 ATX2.0) be sufficient for a C2D e6600 with 10 HDD's?

f ) Will a Scythe Mine Quiet CPU Cooler (dimensions: 109(w) x 105(d) x 150(h) mm) fit in the Norco 4220?

I have the P5B Deluxe in one of my systems. It is a really stable MB.

(A) You only need reverse breakout cables if you plan to connect discrete SATA ports from your MB or a SATA controller to the Norco backplane. Your MB provides 7 SATA ports (6xICH8R + 1 separate on a promise controller). Most people would connect 4 of those to the backplane so you probably only need 1 reverse breakout cable.

(B) Yes, you can put a SuperMicro HBA into each of the PCIe x16 slots. Just ensure that you disable the PCIx1 port in the BIOS or you won't get all 4 lanes enabled on the black one. You'll also need to get a PCI video card since you'll be using all of the usable PCIe for the HBAs.

(C) Your mileage may vary on Hotswap. The MB ports will support hotswap as long as the BIOS is configured for RAID or AHCI (you can still use the ports as individual drives even if the BIOS settings are RAID, but it is only the RAID driver that will support hotswap). Unfortunately, not all versions of the Windows drivers get it right. I've never used this MB in WHS, so I don't know for certain if hotswap will work. Also can't speak for Linux. You'll need to do some testing.

(D) No reason not to use the MB as long as you are staying with your CPU too. It works great with all of the 1066 FSB processors. Some people have reported trouble when used with newer (1333 FSB) CPUs, but I've run it with a 9550 with no problems at all. Consider upgrading it if/when you move to a new CPU.

(E) Wattage is not the right question. You need to ensure that the 12v rail can handle the disks at spinup, which for most drives is between 2-3A each. The Seasonic PSU you listed has two separate 12V rails of 16.5A each, which will only do the job if you are careful to ensure that both rails are wired to the backplane, either every other row of the backplane (half your drives) on each rail or even better with both rails wired to each backplane (with one rail on teh "A" molex and the other on the "B" molex). Your life would be much easier with a single-rail PSU.

(f) It should fit - but it is massive overkill for an e6600 CPU. And you really won't care about having a quiet CPU cooler unless you fix the 4220's fan tray first...
Piglover is offline  
post #5157 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
odditory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post

You BEST do this with unRAID. Really.

wake me up when unRAID doesn't max out at 16 (or is it 20 now?) drives. i really like the idea of it and have followed its changelogs but am still held back by the drive limit and a few other limitations.
odditory is offline  
post #5158 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

wake me up when unRAID doesn't max out at 16 (or is it 20 now?) drives. i really like the idea of it and have followed its changelogs but am still held back by the drive limit and a few other limitations.

I agree. This is the main reason why I keep using disParity. Roland is still developing it and is working on a "live" update version so that should pretty much take care of ever looking at unRAID again.
Killroy is offline  
post #5159 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Member
 
starcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

wake me up when unRAID doesn't max out at 16 (or is it 20 now?) drives. i really like the idea of it and have followed its changelogs but am still held back by the drive limit and a few other limitations.

It is 20 now and next version will support several arrays each 20 drives. SAS cards are coming (work in the betas). For media *only* storage, don't think there is something more efficient. Again, movie only, not everything-you-have-and-one-and-only-storage. I just have tested everything, WHS with Flexraid or Areca RAID, Suse/Ubuntu/Redhat MDRAID, Solaris ZFS, Qnaps to name a few on the low-end. Again, as a tank only. If you need Windows services or HTPC functionality, well thats another story. But I don't want to start a flame war, so IMHO and will shutup.

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
starcat is offline  
post #5160 of 7891 Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Tom_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
beast, odditory & Mibz,

Thanks a lot for the info...I somehow didn't put 2 & 2 together when seeing the previous references to the SuperMicro HBA solutions.

Mibz, thanks also for the idea of the dock...I hadn't actually thought of that, and now I slap myself in the forehead realizing that it's an easy way to get full use out of all 20 bays in the Norco chassis instead of "wasting" half of them on spun down disks!

starcat, thanks for the unRaid idea. I hadn't investigated that before, so thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out...

Thanks again, everyone!
Tom_L is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off