Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

*cough*... Not quite true...Those are theoretical numbers..and the PCI bus is a shared resource. In "practice", typical throughputs on the PCI bus are ~50-60% of the rated throughput.

But if you're on a 100Mb connection, are you really in danger of running into that limit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post

None. PCI has a bandwidth of 133MB/s. A gigabit lan is 128MB/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post

But if you're on a 100Mb connection, are you really in danger of running into that limit?

Nope, you are not. I was responding more to the generic "None" part. Gigabit switches and routers are less expensive than a tank of gas.. even if that tank is on a moped...

How much do you wanna bet, the guy will end up upgrading to gigabit sooner than you know?
post #543 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

post #544 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

Yes.

MiBz, on a 100mbps connection, even if you're all going all out at 100% utilization, you are transferring at:

100mbps = ~12.5MBps

Even a USB stick can probably sustain that. Even if your drives on the server are super fast, that speed is a moot point, since you can never transfer more than 12.5MBps on a 100mbps connection.
post #545 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MiBz, on a 100mbps connection, even if you're all going all out at 100% utilization, you are transferring at:

100mbps = ~12.5MBps

Even a USB stick can probably sustain that. Even if your drives on the server are super fast, that speed is a moot point, since you can never transfer more than 12.5MBps on a 100mbps connection.

Sorry, I missed the 100mbps. For some reason I was seeing an extra 0
Besides that there's no reason to be running a media server on 100mb when Gb switches are as cheap as they are.

Let's also not forget internal system disk I/O that's not bound to the network connection speed and will also be affected by the pci bus.

Some examples;
WHS - folder duplication data path is drive to drive so
Unraid - parity and drive data writes
Software Raid 5 - data stripes and party across all drives in the array.

These are just a few examples of internal data that gets affected by the slow pci bus speed.
post #546 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1. Have anyone replace the fans on the Norco 4020 case for some that are more quieter?
2. I seem to be having problems with not being able to restart my system. I always have to shut it down fully. And often when I turn it on it does not boot up. Sometimes I have to cut it on and off several times before it boots up. But anytime I hit the power button everything seems to power up except the System harddrive.

Here are the specs from my system:

- Case: NORCO RPC-4020
- PSU: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W (Loving it. SUPER QUIET!)
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB
- Heatsink: Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler
- Memory: G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX
- Graphics: onboard video
- HDD for OS: Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
- HDD for storage: Several Seagate 750GB x 4

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #547 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Enter .....the beast.
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15730

And to think I bought 5 Seagate 1 TB ES2 drives at $200 each only four months ago . . .

Such is the life of a computer geek. That was a pretty good review. Apparently the new 1.5 TB Seagate is not that fast at writing, but neither are my 1 TB ES2 drives.

Lifespeed
post #548 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have any recommends for a rack-mount hotswap server case for 10 - 20 drives (similar to the Norco perhaps) that can mount a full-size optical drive?

Lifespeed
post #549 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

Anybody have any recommends for a rack-mount hotswap server case for 10 - 20 drives (similar to the Norco perhaps) that can mount a full-size optical drive?

- Use the Norco (It is by far the best bargain for hotswap in a rackmount case)

Get something like this:

And keep your optical drive outside on a rack shelf. It will still get power and SATA from your motherboard in the Norco. No difference between keeping it outside or mounted in the chassis. If you're REALLY finicky Get a used 1U chassis, mount the optical drive in it, and get two of the above adapters, and wire them up.
post #550 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Apparently the new 1.5 TB Seagate is not that fast at writing, but neither are my 1 TB ES2 drives.

Huh? From the charts MiBz posted, read was 105.8 MB/s and writes are 105.4 MB/s. How can that not be fast?
post #551 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently the new 1.5 TB Seagate is not that fast at writing, but neither are my 1 TB ES2 drives.

My friend...that may be an understatement. The new 7200.11 (with SD17 firmware, which is what seems to be shipping now) 1.5TB drives are almost at par with the Velociraptors (which are considered some of the fastest desktop drives).

They will easily read AND write at over 100MBps for sequential data.

In a RAID configuration.....

Benchmarking with 8 of the new 1.5TB drives and the Ciprico controllers.

8 drive RAID-0 - ATTO Benchmark

8 Drive RAID-5 - ATTO Benchmark

8 Drive RAID-5 - Everest Benchmark (Still running, but initial results look good!)

8 Drive RAID-5 setup in the RAIDcore software

post #552 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I concur with Kapone.

My Seagate 1.5's with SD17 fw are smoking hot (but in a good way)
In the context of WHS, it's giving me consistent 90MB+/s writes to the WHS server and 105MB+/s reads to clients.

Given it's capacity and speeds, it's right now the best drive choice for a WHS type setup. They're also keeping a very cool 32c avg temp. I'm extremely pleased with these drives.

And according to kapone's charts it's also fantastic in an R5 array.

I haven't had any time yet, but this week-end I hope to build the 3rd server which main purpose will be Hyper-V virtualization. It'll have a hw raid 5 array to host all the VMs using 5 x WD6400AAKS which are some of the fastest 7200rpm SATA drives I've played with. They're a better fit for this application because rather than storage size of the array, we need more spindles to increase the overall array speed to simulate the sum of what each VM's speed would be if it was on it's own physical hardware drive.
post #553 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw..WHS is just a wrapper (like VMC is to Vista) for Windows Server 2003, which IMHO has been MS's bulletproof stable server OS. I've had one running for over 3 years that I reboot only twice a year or so unless it's for updates.
Very solid.

Anyways, for those that are raid-a-holics and just can't live without it, but feel themselves being drawn to WHS for all of it's nice features, simplicity and addins;

You can run a full blown raid 5 array on WHS's server 2003 base and then carve the array into 2TB volumes. Then present them to WHS and tell it to add each volume to the drive pool. WHS doesn't know the difference between this and if you had connected a 2TB drive.

Now you'd have the uptime protection of an R5 array and the benefit of the multiple spindle speeds. As a bonus you wouldn't even need to expand the array. You could just create a new one and add that volume to the drive pool and so on.

It would most likely be a WHS speed demon in a setup like this. But again for most home users setups 90MB-100MB/s reads-writes are more than fast enough for a media server.
post #554 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can run a full blown raid 5 array on WHS's server 2003 base and then carve the array into 2TB volumes. Then present them to WHS and tell it to add each volume to the drive pool. WHS doesn't know the difference between this and if you had connected a 2TB drive.

That sounds suspiciously like the 2TB limit in WHS was artificially imposed by M$ so they could sell a 'home server' OS for cheap without damaging their expensive server 2003 and 2008 product profit.

IMO, the 2 TB limit is pretty lame and incompatible with the term 'server'.

Lifespeed
post #555 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Use the Norco (It is by far the best bargain for hotswap in a rackmount case)

Get something like this:
And keep your optical drive outside on a rack shelf. It will still get power and SATA from your motherboard in the Norco. No difference between keeping it outside or mounted in the chassis. If you're REALLY finicky Get a used 1U chassis, mount the optical drive in it, and get two of the above adapters, and wire them up.

I have an external SATA connector already with a 1 TB HDD (the OS drive) attached. I'm trying to get away from that.

While I agree the Norco is a great buy it doesn't get me to my goal of the entire computer in a single box. I guess that makes me really finicky. Perhaps one of the Supermicro cases would do the job, although at a higher price.

Lifespeed
post #556 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Thought I would post what I ordered today to set up an unRAID server. It might help some other people when looking at options.

Originally I was going to reuse an older case and Socket 939 motherboard/Athlon 3200 that I wasn't using. However, the case doesn't always feel like powering up when you hit the power button (I don't know if it's an issue with the power supply, case, or board - I haven't spent any time troubleshoting) and it doesn't have enough bays for server-use. Additionally, the board only has 2 SATA I ports and a 100Mb lan port. Also, the power supply is only 450 watts to begin with, which isn't likely to be enough power if I ultimately install all 16 drives.

So I decided that by the time I bought a new case, power supply, and a Supermicro 8x SATA card, I might as well just find a new board and processor that supports gigabit LAN, and has a bunch of SATA II ports on board.

Motherboard: MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $85 with a $10 mail-in rebate
I believe somebody else used this in a build earlier in this thread. It has 8 SATA II ports. This gives me almost as many ports as I would have had with my original plan (8 vs 10) with the benefits of gigabit LAN. The only downside from my perspective is the lack of onboard video. However I have an ancient PCI video card that will do the trick for unRAID. If I didn't have that card, I'm sure I could find a similar one for less than $10.

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor $40 w/ free shipping
It was the cheapest processor with heatsink and fan that they had at Newegg. It also has the benefit of being a very energy efficient processor. It should be more than enough to run unRAID.

Case: AeroCool Coolview SLVR $70 w/ free shipping
Seems to be a nice case that offers 10 5.25" bays and 2 3.5" bays (in addition to the 5.25's - they sit on top of the power supply)

Power Supply:
Antec EA650 650W ATX12V $65 w/ free shipping
Seemed like a decent enough price on a power supply that should be able to theoretically handle a system with 16 drives.

Memory - using a 1GB dimm that have from upgrading the memory on my main PC

HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 1TB $125 with a $30 mail-in rebate and free shipping
I know everybody really likes the 1.5TB Seagate for $190, but $95 for a 1TB drive was too good to pass up. I ordered 1 to add to the drives I'm planning on using. I'll probably order a few more.

The goal of all of this was to build a relatively cheap media server for my house. I doubt that I'll ever use 16 drives, but I wanted a system that gave me that option in case I start storing lots of HD content. Because of the number of ports on the motherboard, I didn't purcahse the Supermicro card. I can add it in the future if needed. In total, the cost of what I built was $260 + HDD's. I'll use cables, etc that I have around the house. I don't think I could do much better than that for my needs. I'll add some 5.25 to 3.5 converters as I need them along with additional drives. I've played around a bit with unRAID and it looks like it's going to be very easy to add/swap/upgrade drives as needed. I'll update this post next week when I actually get around to getting this all up and running.
post #557 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds suspiciously like the 2TB limit in WHS was artificially imposed by M$ so they could sell a 'home server' OS for cheap without damaging their expensive server 2003 and 2008 product profit.

I'm really doubt that the 2TB limit is malicious. Since 2TB drives aren't shipping, how lame can it really be? Remember, this product isn't meant to be used with hardware RAID. 2TB drives should be shipping by next year, so they're going to have to add support. They have no choice. 2TB support was added to Win2K3 in SP1 in early 2006. I just checked the WHS update list and Win2K3 SP1 wasn't listed, so hopefully it's just a matter of adding it.
post #558 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM

First off, thanks for the help. Now let's get into this...

Quote:

I have some ideas ....

Like most things related to pc performance, with WHS how you setup and connect your hardware is directly related to it's speed.

You can't use cheap tires on a formula one race car and wonder why it doesn't corner well.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you connected the drives this way;

PCIe x1 slot->Highpoint 2304->Addonics PM->Drive1,Drive2,Drive3....

When your P45 motherboard has 6 nice and fast ICH10R SATAII ports ?

Good question. The reason is because I have 10 of the 1TB Samsung drives I want to use... and I had a couple of the Addonics PM's and the Highpoint card... so it seemed to be the easiest way to connect them all to the system.

Quote:

Also I would lose the 150GB (slow) drive and use the 1TB Samsungs and slipstreaming a fresh WHS install with ICH10 AHCI drivers.

Well, I've got a pile of these 150GB Seagate SATA2 HD that I prefer to use as system disks as they are cheap, run cool, reliable and very quiet. Is there any way to get WHS to just ignore the system disk and not have it try to write to open space it creates on it?

Do you think enabling AHCI would make that big of a difference? I don't have any experience slipstreaming an install.

Quote:

Right now you most likely have the 150GB drive on the ICH SATA port but it's set to Legacy IDE (slow) in the bios, not SATA. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can confirm this 2 ways. 1- RDP into WHS desktop and go to device manager and expand the IDE contoller info. 2-reboot into the bios and see IDE/SATA mode. (p.s. don't change it from IDE to SATA now, the system won't boot into WHS)

Looking in the device manager, expanding the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" section gives quite a few listings:

Intel ICH10 Family 2 port SATA Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel ICH10 Family 4 port SATA Controller 1 - 3A20
Primary IDE Channel (3 of these)
Secondary IDE Channel (3 of these)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Looking at the properties of each of these doesn't give an obvious answer. And looking in the properties of the drive itself doesn't give an obvious answer.

As for the BIOS settings, they aren't obvious either. In the BIOS, there are these settings:
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode: Disable or AHCI or RAID (currently set to Disable)
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode: Disable or Enable (currently set to Enable)

Quote:

Also before going any further, can you go to the WHS console, click on settings, then resources tab and copy the Version information and post it here.

Version Information:
Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

And in the lower right hand corner of the desktop, it says Build 3790 (Service Pack 2)

Thanks again for the assistance.
post #559 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there's some confusion. WHS doesn't have a 2TB limit.

You can have, say - 11 x 1TB drives connected to a hardware raid card in a single R5 array running on WHS. For simplicity we'll say it's 10TB total (you lose 1 drive capacity in R5)

So now you simply set it to 5 partitions of 2TB each and hand them all to WHS which takes each of these 2TB volumes, formats them and adds them to the storage pool which is now a total of 10TB of open space (no drive letters).
You can just keep adding 2TB partitions and the WHS pool will just grow.

The only reason why you need to hand the partitions over to WHS in 2TB volumes is that it's the limit for MBR partitions (master boot record).

If you're running WHS, Server 2003, Server 2008 all of them have a 2TB limit for MBR formatted drives. You'd have to use GPT for single partitions of over 2TB. With WHS it doesn't matter the drive pool aggregates it together anyways.

You can add as many 2TB volumes to WHS and it will continue to grow as one large storage pool.

Again this is all just AVS talk. You really don't need a hw raid array with WHS it's plenty fast without it, but I know some of us like to experiment on the outer edge so I thought I'd thow it out there
post #560 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticquart View Post

First off, thanks for the help. Now let's get into this...

First, the version info you posted is the latest so you have all the updates applied. Ok here.

Now for using the 150GB drives as 'system disks'.

For another server OS type like 2k3, 2k8 etc it would be fine. But you need to understand how WHS works. It already makes it's own 20GB partition for the OS on the first drive and throws the rest into the storage pool.

There's really no point in using the 150's here. All you're doing is taking up drive slots and using power to spin spindles that can't store much data and are most likely considerably slower than your F1's.

WHS can only be as fast as your drives. A slow drive will make for slow transfers. WHS is working in your setup but you're only seeing ~50MB/s. You want it to be faster, so you'll need to feed it what it needs to do it.

You can decide this for yourself
If you have another system like a desktop, connect 1 of the 150GB and 1 of the 1TB F1's. Then download and install HDTune (free) to test the speed of each drive. Note the min, max and avg speeds. We'll chat again afterwards

Re AHCI
Based on what you reported from your device manager and the bios, it's running in IDE mode. Your SATA drives aren't being used to their full potentional. You also won't get drive temps, advanced smart info and no hot swap with IDE.

Let me know what you decide
post #561 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:

First, the version info you posted is the latest so you have all the updates applied. Ok here.

For another server OS type like 2k3, 2k8 etc it would be fine. But you need to understand how WHS works. It already makes it's own 20GB partition for the OS on the first drive and throws the rest into the storage pool.

There's really no point in using the 150's here. All you're doing is taking up drive slots and using power to spin spindles that can't store much data and are most likely considerably slower than your F1's.

WHS can only be as fast as your drives. A slow drive will make for slow transfers. WHS is working in your setup but you're only seeing ~50MB/s. You want it to be faster, so you'll need to feed it what it needs to do it.

You can decide this for yourself
If you have another system like a desktop, connect 1 of the 150GB and 1 of the 1TB F1's. Then download and install HDTune (free) to test the speed of each drive. Note the min, max and avg speeds. We'll chat again afterwards

Re AHCI
Based on what you reported from your device manager and the bios, it's running in IDE mode. Your SATA drives aren't being used to their full potentional. You also won't get drive temps, advanced smart info and no hot swap with IDE.

Let me know what you decide

Understood. I wasn't aware of what WHS was doing w/ the OS disk partitioning... but your explanation makes sense. I'll move the smaller drives to other systems.

Now, as for getting the drives to work in SATA mode -- is setting them to AHCI in BIOS what I need to do to achieve this? (And they don't make that easy, do they? What with the requirement of using a floppy to install the Intel Matrix driver during the OS installation, etc.) Or is it another BIOS setting I need to address?

EDIT: Wanted to add that the HD Tune app shows what mode the drives are set at -- both are indeed in UDMA Mode 5.
post #562 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeboTech View Post

The difference is bandwidth during simultaenous access.
I.E. PCI-X 133MHZ vs PCI at 33 or 66Mhz(if supported).

PCI 32-bit/33 MHz - 133.33 MB/s
PCI 32-bit/66 MHz - 266.7 MB/s
in comparison
PCI-X 133 MHz - 1,067 MB/s
PCI Express (x4 link - 1,000 MB/s

This comes into play with simultaneous hard drive access.
If you are using the drives in JBOD mode with light to medium access, it will be fine.

I think single drives sustain from 75-120MB/s. Maybe more (at least the 750G and 1TB drives I'm using get this rate). Your lan will probably be the bottleneck.

If you are doing software RAID5, you may notice a performance issue on writes because each drive has to be read, then written. For a single process or single access, this isn't an issue. When you start adding multiple simultaneous access, then you may notice performance issues.

It all depends on your usage patterns and expectations.

A point to consider, part of the card's pins will be unprotected outside of the connector. Be sure that they do not come in contact with any parts on the motherboard.

Thanks for the info. I got it installed in the first PCI slot and it was hitting the NB hestsink, next PCI slot was clear of obstruction. This is an Adaptec 2610SA card. Upon bootup I saw the DOS screen for the card, everything seems to be check out and works fine. When Windows Server 08 starts though, I need a driver to get the card working and there are none to be found. Has anyone used this card on a Windows server successfully? From what I understand this card came with Dell servers and is not supported outside of that, Adaptec does not have any drivers on their website that will make it work. I just want to use it to add a few more sata drives and use software raid... this is becoming difficult.
post #563 of 7891 Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticquart View Post

Now, as for getting the drives to work in SATA mode -- is setting them to AHCI in BIOS what I need to do to achieve this? (And they don't make that easy, do they? What with the requirement of using a floppy to install the Intel Matrix driver during the OS installation, etc.) Or is it another BIOS setting I need to address?

Nope they don't. This is a limitation of Server 2003's install setup since AHCI didn't exist when it was created. They could've updated it but ...

If you're trying to change the disk mode to AHCI in the bios on an existing IDE install it's not going to boot. Mainly because they're registry keys pointing to the HAL which is pointing to IDE drivers.

The easiest way is to create a new install DVD with the latest ICH10R AHCI drivers slipstreamed in and install fresh so everything is clean.

There's a quick and dirty way to do this. I've did it really quick last week-end, so I'm going on memory but should work out.

You'll need to download a few tools tho;

-Intel P45 ICH10R drivers
Choose #3, 32bit floppy config utility.

-nlite

-and you'll also need an ISO mounter. You probably already have this if you downloaded WHS and burned it. I use UltraISOPremium , careful the trial version is limited to what file size it can burn, but it shouldn't be hard to find the full version.

-install nlite
-unzip the Intel drivers into a folder on your desktop called ICH10R.

-place a COPY of the WHS install iso on your desktop (keep the original in a safe place).

-mount the WHS iso copy with UltraISO as a CD Drive (note the drive letter E:, F: etc)

-create a folder on your desktop called 'ModifiedWHS'

-run nlite and browse to the drive letter you mounted the WHS ISO to and navigate to the \\SVR2003\\i386 folder in the ISO.

-nlite will ask you to select where to save the output. Point to the empty ModifiedWHS folder you created on the desktop. It'll start copying the data.

-once done click next to get to Task Selection screen and select Drivers.

-click next and select Insert. Choose single driver. Navigate to the desktop folder where you unziped the Intel drivers called ICH10R and select iaAHCI.inf

-It'll read the inf driver and display a list. Choose ICH10R and click Yes to start the process. When completed the drivers are setup to install in the modifiedWHS folder. Close nlite.

-Unmount the CD Drive (eject). it's read only so you can't add to it.

-Open the WHS iso with UltraISO and navigate to the \\SVR_2003 folder.
-Select everything(Ctrl+A) in that folder and delete it.

-Open your ModifiedWHS folder, select everything (Ctrl+A), copy and paste into the \\SVR_2003 folder in UltraISO. You might be able to replace just the

-Save and then burn the DVD to a new disc.

You should now have a full WHS install DVD with the latest ICH10R drivers...i think. (just kidding it should work fine).

Remember to go into your bios and enable SATA mode to AHCI then run the install DVD.
Also connect your first few 1TB Sams F1's to the mobo ICH. If you don't mind, remove the Highpoint + PM for now, you can always add it later.

Quote:

EDIT: Wanted to add that the HD Tune app shows what mode the drives are set at -- both are indeed in UDMA Mode 5.

Cool, so how did the HDtune numbers look on the benchmarks ?
post #564 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago View Post

This is an Adaptec 2610SA card. Upon bootup I saw the DOS screen for the card, everything seems to be check out and works fine. When Windows Server 08 starts though, I need a driver to get the card working and there are none to be found. Has anyone used this card on a Windows server successfully? From what I understand this card came with Dell servers and is not supported outside of that, Adaptec does not have any drivers on their website that will make it work.

I noticed in this auction, it states to use HP drivers. Perhaps this can help.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Adaptec-2610S...d=p3286.c0.m14

If this is becoming too difficult, maybe putting it back up on eBay, cutting your losses and grabbing the Supermicro card would be better.
post #565 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know what the blue light on one of the Norco 4020 caddies means? One of my caddies has the blue light on solid all the time.
post #566 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:

...you need to understand how WHS works. It already makes it's own 20GB partition for the OS on the first drive and throws the rest into the storage pool.

There's really no point in using the 150's here.

MiBz - Just a quick question as I'm about to build my first server and wanted data protection by using a S-RAID.
If the HD that WHS partitions into OS and Data dies, will one loose all the data and the parity checks or just the data on that drive?

Mario
post #567 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

What's S-RAID??
post #568 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In the "way back machine", I remember RAID S being an EMC RAID implementation.
post #569 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariomp View Post

MiBz - Just a quick question as I'm about to build my first server and wanted data protection by using a S-RAID.
If the HD that WHS partitions into OS and Data dies, will one loose all the data and the parity checks or just the data on that drive?

Mario

WHS does not use parity. Nor does it use RAID. It use duplication for data protection. It's enabled on a share by share basis.

On the main drive there are "tombstones" that point to where the files are. If that drive dies you lose everything on that drive.
However your data is still on the other drives in that computer and can be read by any computer and OS that can read NTFS partitions.

You can also use another drive to backup the server itself. I have an external I use. But i'm not sure if it also backs up those tombstones or not. I would think it would.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #570 of 7891 Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariomp View Post

Mario

As the other guys mentioned, I'm not sure what you mean by S-raid.
Do you mean software raid ?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page