Guide To Building A Media Storage Server - Page 228 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6811 of 7891 Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A friend of mine complained bitterly about WHS 2011 not being able to do DLNA properly and wasn't able to stream audio to his mac and ipad2...

I just blindly believed him and never tried the WHS 2011.

On the other hand, I did try amahi, and I can say it is a fantastic tool.
It is very very easy to setup, if you accept the defaults you will be up and running within 10 minutes.
Never had it so easy with linux before...

The authors have a live web chat room and can be very very helpful. If you don't want to have your server called hda, I think it's just a matter of modifying one or two config files, they will tell you where to modify what.

When I was testing amahi, I didn't use the inbuilt DNS / DHCP server, in fact I disabled it, and mapped my network drives in windows using the IP address of the server.

The only reason I am not using amahi at the moment is because fedora 15 is currently not supported and fedora 14 doesn't install out of the box on my hardware because of missing LAN and audio drivers.

I believe they're working on and testing centos 6 and fedora 16 or so, I'm going back once they get it working.

I am clinging on to a linux server because once everything is in place and works fine you can simply dump it in your cellar and won't have to be bothered about endless patching and updates...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7891 Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I use my WHS for two things: sharing media (as folders) and W7 client backups so my needs are pretty minimal. I don't have any devices that I need to stream to.

I did like Amahi -- it just worked. Setting up shares was very easy. I was hoping FreeNAS would be just as easy but the Realtek NIC thing I just didn't have time for even though it's any easy fix (as long as you have two USB flash drives anyway).

Amahi did sharing very well but I would still need to find a tool for backups. That was the real dealbreaker for me with the Unix-based server OSes. I want image-based backups since all my media resides on the server I just need the machines imaged and easy bare-metal restore functionality. For $50 I get that integrated well with the server in WHS 2011. That's cheaper than buying Acronis which I don't trust at all anyway based on past experience (though their disk cloning tool rocks).

I figure if after $50 it doesn't work out, I still have WHS v1 to fall back on. I guess you can say I am still in eval mode. I'll be running my WHS v1 in "production" until I am happy with WHS 2011.

I might look at Amahi again when they come out with their Ubuntu-based build.

post #6813 of 7891 Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I placed my order today. I ended up going with the PC-Q08S (on sale 20% off but had get the silver oh well), the 4GB stick and the ASUS Fusion mini-ITX motherboard. For the PSU, I decided to go ahead with the picoPSU since total it came to around $5 more than the Seasonic PSU I'd been looking at. I'll be making on of my custom blanking plates for mounting the picoPSU in the ATX opening. My copy of WHS2011 shipped today. I am going to install from a thumb drive so I am skipping the DVD burner (like I don't have a half dozen around already in other PCs I could use temporarily if needed anyway).

I am looking forward to putting it all together. I'll try to remember to take pix and blog about it. I usually get so into the build I forget .

post #6814 of 7891 Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI: Here are instructions and download for the compiled Realtek 32bit version driver:
http://www.kristijan.org/2010/11/fre...-network-card/

We were experimenting with FreeNAS 8.01RC1 with a Zotac ATOM board, don't recall which NIC chipset it had. We found a problem with copying (via NFS) from an HP-UX system, as it would not (rsync worked). Worked fine from a ubuntu system to FreeNAS and we could copy from the HP-UX to the ubuntu system.

I'm using a picoPUS 120w with a 150w AC-DC brick on my HTPC, it's overkill for my 45w processor and green drives, but gives me the ability to go with a i3 or i5 low power chip in the future.
post #6815 of 7891 Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

I'm using a picoPUS 120w with a 150w AC-DC brick on my HTPC, it's overkill for my 45w processor and green drives, but gives me the ability to go with a i3 or i5 low power chip in the future.

I am using a picoPSU 120-WI-25 with a 72W AC/DC adapter for an G620/H61/SSD/1 x HDD/1 x tuner/1 x BR ODD setup. It uses around 40W in normal usage. A similar 65W i3/i5 is going to be the same. The power usage of the SandyBridge chips is ridonkulously low. It's a beautiful thing to be able to reuse an old IBM T30 laptop adapter that was being chucked for your HTPC.

The picoPSU 120-WI-25 for my WHS2011 build will use a 120W adapter. It'll have 5 HDDs so it might need a little more juice on startup. Likely it'll be doing it's thing around 20W. Good times.

post #6816 of 7891 Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my Lian Li PC-Q08S case today, along with the ASUS E35M1-I mini-ITX motherboard, the 4GB stick, picoPSU and various cables.

The PC-Q08 is a gorgeous case. I can't get over how big it is for a mini-ITX case. So far I love it. Too bad this beautiful case is going to sit in the basement!

post #6817 of 7891 Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice build StardogChampion, really like the Q08 style for small storage server, hope you share some naked pics, with your superb PSU cover . I have outgrown its capacity, now im building on Antec 1200 with 8xhdds, probably by years end 16xhdds, but im still going to remain on WHSv1 until Windows Server 8 is released, that if this time microsoft does release it with DE. This is probably the single biggest asset for my server, specially with lots of BR ISO, HDDs tend to fill up really fast.
post #6818 of 7891 Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Abula, nice to see you!

I've been taking lots of pictures along the way. I'll post what I have soon. Everything is all put together including a PSU cover with an 80mm fan . Now I am just waiting for the WHS2011 disk to arrive so I can start testing/migrating my server. My WHS v1 has a 750GB and 2 x 2TB and my WHS2011 has 1 x 250GB laptop, 1 x 2TB and 1 x 1.5TB for testing/migration. Eventually the 2 x 2TB will go into the new server, once everything is migrated, stable, etc.

Good luck with your new build. Likewise, please post pictures. It sounds awesome. I think my PC-Q08 will be all I need for a very long time. I don't seem to accumulate media -- combined my movies & recorded TV is 2TB. I might have another 1TB in music, home videos, documents and software installers. But, maybe that'll change now that we are using PCs for DVRs with basic cable.

post #6819 of 7891 Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I wish this thread were a sticky.

Your wish has been granted.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #6820 of 7891 Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm looking at putting together a basic storage/web server.

Motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59327
RAID Card: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=33...acture=Adaptec

I also have one of these: http://www.addonics.com/products/rai.../AESN4DA25.asp which make it easy to slide in new drives, replace failed drives, etc...

it has a couple of WD 1TB notebook drives in it at the moment.

My only concern is this - the motherboard does have a PCI-E4 slot and a PCI-E16 slot. The RAID card is a PCI-E4 card. If I use up all the ports on that card, can I simply buy another one of those cards and install it into the PCI-E16 slot? Does it work that way?

Any thoughts on the system in general?

Thanks.
post #6821 of 7891 Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy™ View Post

I use a Scythe "Slot Rafter" for the OS drive but I still need a 3.5" drive for my FlexRAID parity drive so I may have to use that technique.

I been searching for it for a couple of months now... and no success, this would be ideal to still have 16 hdds slots on antec 1200, but seems to be discontinued or out of stock everywhere. I found something that might do the trick, A-Tech 2.5" HDD to PCI Bracket Kit

Quote:

Good luck with your new build. Likewise, please post pictures. It sounds awesome.

Sure, ill post some pics soon, atm just finished installing WHSv1 and did all the windows updates n drives. The 4x Coolermaster 4 in 3 arrived today, still waiting for 8x Scythe Kama Flex fans and 2x Akasa PWM fan splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

ASUS P8B WS (Xeon is required to use the third x4 slot)

, do you have any link where i can read more about this limitation? its the exact board im using atm, but with i3 2120.
post #6822 of 7891 Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Something like a QNAP or WHS? Already have a mybooklive 2t but I want a little bit more safety in case of drive failure. Would like to spend about $500 to get started and then pay as I go. Any cheap turnkey WHS for this amount? Also read a comment that 2011 would be a "JR" edition because some of the drive redundancy support was being removed. Did that turn out true or just rumor?

Right now I have Win 7 box running WMC. It can stream to XBox360 or WDTV live streamer (new version). Prefer low power if I can do it as my server room is always warmest room in my house (ac not the greatest). If you had low funds or low funds with ability to pay as you go, what would you do?

Thank you.
post #6823 of 7891 Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

It's finally time to expand my storage space, I have been using WD10EADS drives but it appears these are no longer sold/dated. Anyone have hard drive recommendations for me?

EDIT: Also does anyone know what happened to the Media Server buyers/build guide. There used to be an awesome one that i think was bundled in the HTPC buyers guide but I cannot seem to find it any more.
post #6824 of 7891 Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post

It's finally time to expand my storage space, I have been using WD10EADS drives but it appears these are no longer sold/dated. Anyone have hard drive recommendations for me?

Bad times to expand, as most hdds are increasing its price due to Malasia Flooding, in some cases twice its retail price of a couple of weeks ago. Depending on your hardware, a couple of good HDDs for storage are Samsung F4EG and Hitachi 5k3000.
post #6825 of 7891 Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

Bad times to expand, as most hdds are increasing its price due to Malasia Flooding, in some cases twice its retail price of a couple of weeks ago. Depending on your hardware, a couple of good HDDs for storage are Samsung F4EG and Hitachi 5k3000.

WOW Those prices are crazy for 2TB. I saw 3TB on sale for that a few weeks ago.
post #6826 of 7891 Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post

EDIT: Also does anyone know what happened to the Media Server buyers/build guide. There used to be an awesome one that i think was bundled in the HTPC buyers guide but I cannot seem to find it any more.

renethx is the author of the HTPC thread and it includes media server info. He publishes the "older" version for free (it's 3 months old I think) and has a one time fee or several issue subscription for a very modest fee. Just search on renethx or go to the sticky for the HTPC thread.
post #6827 of 7891 Old 11-05-2011, 03:23 AM

Liked: 30
Don't upgrade your storage at the moment unless you can't possibly avoid doing so (or have money to burn!)

The floods in Thailand, which is the world's second largest producer of hard-drives behind China, has severely restricted the supply of drives.

Lack of supply has dramatically inflated prices worldwide (here in the UK they have more or less doubled, with more rises on the way)

PC manufacturers are currently competing to buy drives to keep producing, component stores will have ahard time going against them as is obvious from the rocketing end-user prices

As the floods have effectively wrecked the factories, the equipment there will have to be replaced, so the situation will not improve in the near future

Even when production returns to normal there will be a huge backlog of orders so do not expect the situation to improve - possibly for years

It's a terrible time to build or upgrade storage. Before the floods the expectation was for storage to get cheaper and bigger. Now it won't.
post #6828 of 7891 Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchb View Post

Something like a QNAP or WHS? Already have a mybooklive 2t but I want a little bit more safety in case of drive failure. Would like to spend about $500 to get started and then pay as I go. Any cheap turnkey WHS for this amount? Also read a comment that 2011 would be a "JR" edition because some of the drive redundancy support was being removed. Did that turn out true or just rumor?

Right now I have Win 7 box running WMC. It can stream to XBox360 or WDTV live streamer (new version). Prefer low power if I can do it as my server room is always warmest room in my house (ac not the greatest). If you had low funds or low funds with ability to pay as you go, what would you do?

Thank you.

Dell GX280 - $50
Kingston DDR2 2GB (1GBx2) - $33
Hitachi "Green Drive" 2TB - $59AR (got $10 Visa Card in about 3 weeks)
WHS 2011 - $60

Already saved my bacon. I won't go into it, but after mucking around for about a day, I said I have a WHS for a reason, backups! So I loaded up one of the backups from a few days back, took about 2 hours, back to normal...

I hope the recent floods don't impact pricing on BF, I need to add another 2TB drive.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #6829 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM

Liked: 30
You won;t get a 2Tb drive for anywhere near as low a price as that right now. Unless you get very, very lucky. In fact I'd be supiscious of anywhere offering one that cheap.

And don;t buy it off eBay. A great many of the ones on there are "reconditioned" which usually means they've been pulled from a PC where they're spent years being hammering away - the only "reconditioning" is being formatted!
post #6830 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

Your wish has been granted.

Awesome! I can't believe it took me this long to notice

post #6831 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some pictures of my new WHS2011 build:

I still have a couple of more HDDs to put in it (currently rearranging storage in the house due to drive shortages) and then I'll have 6 x 3.5" drives (~9.5TB). It's been running on my network for a couple of weeks now. No one has noticed a difference.

Lian-Li PC-Q08
picoPSU 120-WI-32 w/ 120W AC/DC adapter
ASUS E35M1-I motherboard
4GB RAM
1 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ (OS)
1 x 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS
1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT
2 x 2TB Samsung F4EG HD204UI
1 x 1.5TB WD Green
Windows Home Server 2011

I was copying some movies from the WHS to a client PC the other night and getting 70MB/s transfer speeds. I am very happy.

post #6832 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Because of the flooding, WAIT to buy a hard drive or buy ONLY if there is no other choice!

I bought 2 2TB drives for my server a few months ago, $79 each, now $165! Ouch!
post #6833 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM

Nice build StardogChampion, specially with the ubber psu cover , i should have my server running on Sunday ill upload some pics if everything works out.

Btw can you do me a favor, can you post a screenshot how do other PCs see the server, in my case its just the share folders with WHSv1, but not sure how will other PCs see WHS2011 do you see drives?
post #6834 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice build StardogChampion, specially with the ubber psu cover , i should have my server running on Sunday ill upload some pics if everything works out.

Btw can you do me a favor, can you post a screenshot how do other PCs see the server, in my case its just the share folders with WHSv1, but not sure how will other PCs see WHS2011 do you see drives?

It looks exactly the same as WHSv1 -- you see all the shares. WHS2011 has different default shares. The biggest difference is there is a Documents instead of Public and Pictures instead of Photos. I added a Movies share to mine. Videos has home videos in it while Movies has DVD/Blu-ray rips.

post #6835 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

It looks exactly the same as WHSv1 -- you see all the shares. WHS2011 has different default shares. The biggest difference is there is a Documents instead of Public and Pictures instead of Photos. I added a Movies share to mine. Videos has home videos in it while Movies has DVD/Blu-ray rips.

How does that work without having the drive extender? you cant make a huge drive so how does the share have all the space?
post #6836 of 7891 Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

How does that work without having the drive extender? you cant make a huge drive so how does the share have all the space?

http://www.wegotserved.com/category/...sk-management/

3rd Party Drive Management

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #6837 of 7891 Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By default, WHS2011 creates two partitions: C: (OS) and D: (shares). There are a bunch of named shares that point to folders on the D: drive. In the server management UI, you can move those folders to any drive you want. It's really just part of the file sharing functionality built into any Windows OS. It just so happens WHS creates so for you out-of-the-box.

After I add some drives, I moved my folders onto those drives and then used Disk Management to have the C: partition take the whole OS drive, removing the D: partition. I am doing internal backups twice a day using SyncBack to drives that have folders I do not share. It does require some hand management and thinking about what's going to go where but it's pretty simple so far. When my layout is done, it'll look like this:

2TB (Movies) -> 2TB (backup)
1.5TB (Recorded TV) -> 2TB (backup)
1TB (Music/Documents/Videos/Pictures/Software) -> 1TB (backup)

I use the WHS internal backup feature to backup the OS to a 250GB external drive.

I could implement that backups using volume shadowing but I prefer to not have deletes on the left-side reflected on the right-side to protect from accidental deletion, exception being the Recorded TV so that when episodes are deleted they are removed from the backup too. It's accidental deletion of movies (lots of work ripping) and docs/pix/videos (cannot be replaced).

Eventually I want to backup the non-replaceable stuff to the cloud. I am looking at various on-line backup providers but I have not made a decision. CrashPlan is in the lead right now.

I have no plans to use a 3rd party drive extender.

post #6838 of 7891 Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I was reminded today of something WHS2011 does to your music collection that I now consider a tragedy -- 100s of hours of work wasted. I can't believe I forgot this.

WHS2011, by default, overwrites all music tags and album art. This has happened to me now. All my high-res album art is gone, replaced by low res blurry versions. All the work I did putting things into just a few genres instead of all the hundred of strange variations (Urban Cowboy? Really) -- gone. WHS2011 just did it's thing and totally screwed over my collection.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/0...-art-mp3-tags/

It's really lucky (ok, planned but lucky) that I did a complete backup of all my WHSv1 shares before migrating to WHS2011.

Don't let this happen to you.

post #6839 of 7891 Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

http://www.wegotserved.com/category/...sk-management/

3rd Party Drive Management

Which of those 3 programs are you using?

I messed around with StableBit a couple of months ago, but it definitely wasn't ready for prime time.
post #6840 of 7891 Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 PM

@StardogChampion, thanks for the explanation, i really would love to move to WHS2011, but for now ill stay on WHSv1 just for the drive extender, its way to much files to be able to manage so many disks, btw here is a sneak peak, still messy with CM, and missing 6x samsung disks, but one SASUC8i didnt arrive in time, and i still have issue with PWM fans so new fans on the way, but here is a pic of how the build is going,

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page