post #7171 of 7891 Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

We have Security Cameras (RG6 I think and capture card + Software) running on my mother's PC. I would like to move that to the server. What all do I need to do this and does the software to view the cameras, change view and all that run on the client or the server itself?

Sorry for the confusion.

Also I'm considering installing uTorrent and SABNZBD for Newsgroups soon, you run that from the Dashboard or via client control? I know you can control uTorrent from a mobile device (Android)

About the backups, make sure WHS cleans up older backups to save disk space.

My camera is a wireless IP camera so there is no capture card and cabling.

SABNZBD can be accessed using a web browser interface on any computer. For WHS you have to allow it through the firewall. For external WAN access you have to forward a port. That means you can use your smartphone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7891 Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

My camera is a wireless IP camera so there is no capture card and cabling.

SABNZBD can be accessed using a web browser interface on any computer. For WHS you have to allow it through the firewall. For external WAN access you have to forward a port. That means you can use your smartphone.

Cool, I though IP Cameras likely worked. I'll look deeper into it. Thanks for the info.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7173 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had WHS 2011 up for about 5-6 months now and its saved my bacon and works well.

Now I would finally like to have Remote Access working. UPnP is not available on the 2Wire Gateway they give you (AT&T U-Verse Fiber To Home). I had it sort of working on the Buffalo router I added to the network to provide 802.11n but it wouldn't resolve the URL I assigned to the server and you only had access by putting in the server's IP address in the browser.

I considered a x86 Firewall/Router for awhile now but wasn't sure if I wanted another complete PC running when most of the plugs in the computer room are occupied.

So I started looking for information on running Pfsense in a Virtual Machine like Virtual Box. I would add another NIC to the system and run the VM on the server itself.

With a P4 its likely up to the task but I wanted to reduce power consumption.

Edit: I forgot I can run AM2 and even AM3 CPU's on my current HTPC motherboard. Seems the 65w x4 cores are harder and harder to find now, but I found one for $65. This would make a nice basis for WHS 2011/Pfsense since the current CPU likes to overheat under extended load. This would be a powerful and low power consumption box, able to run VM's, something AMD Processors (Phenoms) support. Plus this board has x1, x16, two PCI slots, SATA II Ports (4) and it already has Gigabit (Realtek).

I originally thought about using it as the basis of a Linux box (Mint 12) and moving the HD4670 to my mother's Dell which will be vast improvement over its C2D based Intel Graphics, which won't even run Aero and Security Camera software at the same time.

I guess I could use the 5000+ later on a 760/780 or 880 board for Linux.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7174 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Liked: 10
Are you trying for WAN or LAN access to your server from the remote site? I would assume WAN, so I find it odd it wouldn't resolve the hostname. Does your ISP give you a static IP? If not, DNS may not have caught up with a change from the initial listing of your server. You may want to give try it again tomorrow.
Also, check standard things like clearing your browser cache and the host file on the machine you're on.
Try putting DD-WRT on your Buffalo router and that should give you some more flexibility for AP control.

Pfsense is certainly an option, as is Untangle.
post #7175 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Are you trying for WAN or LAN access to your server from the remote site? I would assume WAN, so I find it odd it wouldn't resolve the hostname. Does your ISP give you a static IP? If not, DNS may not have caught up with a change from the initial listing of your server. You may want to give try it again tomorrow.
Also, check standard things like clearing your browser cache and the host file on the machine you're on.
Try putting DD-WRT on your Buffalo router and that should give you some more flexibility for AP control.

Pfsense is certainly an option, as is Untangle.

Well....

When my sister returned back from school, she disconnected my Buffalo Router from the system because she turned back on the 802.11g support. I put the Buffalo in Mixed mode and put it back like I had it. Then we kept having problems with the older 3800-GV Gateway so they sent us newer model and again my sister using Tier 1 support disconnected my Buffalo router.

So I was just interested in getting back online so I just plugged it back into the gateway.

These changes are not happening for another few months, but I'll check it again.

Most ISP's block the ports needed for WHS to work correctly. I haven't checked the latest firmware, but this time I may bridge the Buffalo too the 2Wire gateway and try to setup Remote Access again. As I said it sort of worked when I made the 2Wire the modem and had the Buffalo do the routing.

UPnP works on the Buffalo, but I though maybe a stronger setup overall might solve these issues.

While I have A+ and learned some network stuff, we never got into hosting servers and all that, so I'm learning as I go and it will be helpful down the road.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7176 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Just forward the appropriate ports.
post #7177 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I've had WHS 2011 up for about 5-6 months now and its saved my bacon and works well.

Now I would finally like to have Remote Access working. UPnP is not available on the 2Wire Gateway they give you (AT&T U-Verse Fiber To Home). I had it sort of working on the Buffalo router I added to the network to provide 802.11n but it wouldn't resolve the URL I assigned to the server and you only had access by putting in the server's IP address in the browser.

I considered a x86 Firewall/Router for awhile now but wasn't sure if I wanted another complete PC running when most of the plugs in the computer room are occupied.

So I started looking for information on running Pfsense in a Virtual Machine like Virtual Box. I would add another NIC to the system and run the VM on the server itself.

With a P4 its likely up to the task but I wanted to reduce power consumption.

Thought a Zacate board would cover this, but now I am considering the cheapest of the Llano APU's (3300) and pair that with a m-ATX board for some expansion options.

Is anybody else doing this and if so would this be enough?

Forget using trying to use UPnP, even though I was using a Linksys WRT54GL UPnP gave me constant problems.

Configure your WHS with a fixed IP address.

Setup your homeserver.com domain name.

Open the ports in your router:

HTTP TCP 80
HTTPS TCP 443
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) TCP 4125

See the following link for details:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ter-setup.aspx
post #7178 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

Forget using trying to use UPnP, even though I was using a Linksys WRT54GL UPnP gave me constant problems.

Configure your WHS with a fixed IP address.

Setup your homeserver.com domain name.

Open the ports in your router:

HTTP TCP 80
HTTPS TCP 443
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) TCP 4125

See the following link for details:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ter-setup.aspx

I know all this, I follow that link and tried to setup the server the first time. I thought I had setup a static IP correctly, but Remote Access still wouldn't work and complained about it not being setup.

I will likely try to bridge next time since my laptop and HTPC depend on 802.11n access and don't want to go back to slow 802.11g and setup the server to be on the 2Wire gateway instead of how it is now, two routers but the Buffalo only gets Port 80 now (internet access).

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7179 of 7891 Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:

I know all this, I follow that link and tried to setup the server the first time. I thought I had setup a static IP correctly, but Remote Access still wouldn't work and complained about it not being setup.

I will likely try to bridge next time since my laptop and HTPC depend on 802.11n access and don't want to go back to slow 802.11g and setup the server to be on the 2Wire gateway instead of how it is now, two routers but the Buffalo only gets Port 80 now (internet access).

Just to clarify, are you trying to run your WHS box over a wired or wireless connection?

The first thing you need to do is eliminate the multi router aspect and place your WHS box, configured with a private static IP, behind the closest router to your modem. Forward the appropriate ports and you should be in business. You said you had it working, so we know your ISP doesn't block it.

If upnp isn't enabled, WHS 2011 will still throw back some errors, but it should allow you to get to the phase of creating the homeserver.com domain. Wait an hour or so for DNS to propagate and profit. Then work on fixing your internal routing.
post #7180 of 7891 Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify, are you trying to run your WHS box over a wired or wireless connection?

The first thing you need to do is eliminate the multi router aspect and place your WHS box, configured with a private static IP, behind the closest router to your modem. Forward the appropriate ports and you should be in business. You said you had it working, so we know your ISP doesn't block it.

If upnp isn't enabled, WHS 2011 will still throw back some errors, but it should allow you to get to the phase of creating the homeserver.com domain. Wait an hour or so for DNS to propagate and profit. Then work on fixing your internal routing.

It is likely how I setup the network to start with.

AT&T U-Verse gives you a 2Wire 38xx Gateway/Router, it has four 10/100 ports. Like most over the counter ISP provided hardware, they haven't joined us in 2010 yet.

File Transfer Speeds were paramount. I had two options, Powerline and Wireless. I went with Wireless because Powerline seems iffy in some homes and didn't feel like being a test lap mouse. Wireless penetration in your home is great, I get full bars on everything.

So I went out and bought a TRENDnet 802.11n Wireless bridge for the Sony PS2 and the HTPC and a Buffalo entry level (10/100 ports, no USB) 802.11n WiFi certified wireless router.

Initially, I setup the older 3800 to be the modem (turned off Wireless, put in DMZ+ mode) and hooked up the Buffalo router. It worked fine, I was using the stock firmware because of reported problems with DD-WRT. WHS 2011 found the router, setup Remote Access and that was it.

I don't know if I can access outside the network, I haven't tried but when I setup my URL for the server, the DNS won't solve it. This was tried over several days, putting a hole in your propagate and profit theory. Wouldn't take my xxxx.homeserver.com, but would take 192.168xx.xx, put an X through HTTPS, say it was unsecured but give me the Remote Access page and all functions worked.

I tried the Microsoft WHS 2011 threads for answers and got nothing. Then while away from home, as I said my sister returned from school. Disconnected the Buffalo and turned the WiFI back on the 3800 because even though I had it in mixed mode (G/N), she said she couldn't connect too it, likely a lie. To keep from having a war in the house, I left it alone and just plugged my Buffalo back into the 3800. Then the old GV failed and was replaced with the new Black 3801 I believe. Was away again, came home, same thing, Buffalo disconnected and not reconnected and I had no access to anything. I plugged it back into the new 3801, everything was fine, but since no ports are forwarded on either router, all I get is internal access to the server and even Remote internally doesn't work (ports blocked on U-Verse router).

I went to school for A+ but yet being grown child, you are still viewed as being 10-12 years old as I'm sure most of you will contend, they don't trust me "messing" with the network. I know enough about it to do what I need or put it back if it doesn't work, so I don't understand the concern.

Like I said before, I will likely do what you suggested because I want to ensure I have Remote Access while overseas. I will run the Buffalo as an AP and connect my HTPC, Laptop and Phone too it, put it in N only mode, leave the G wireless on the 3801 and bridge it to the Buffalo.

That's basically how I have it now, but the server is connected to the Buffalo and not the 3801. The Buffalo can't access the ports needed for Remote Access because they are blocked (not forwarded) by the 3801.

This is why I was considering running router software on VM on the server or get a cheap Atom board ($70) and put a Intel NIC into it and use that as a PFSense router. Get a Gigabit 5-8 port switch and plug all the devices into that.

Seems to me PFSense has stronger routing abilities and optional real time virus protection. A UPnP stronger than the Buffalo and I know works with WHS 2011 without a static IP on the server.

I tried setting up a static IP at the router (Buffalo) and at the server itself.

Still no remote access.

If you say I can get it done with the hardware I got currently, then I'm all ears. I can get the IP of the 2Wire and start working with it tonight/tomorrow until it works.

This is the last thing on the server that doesn't work, it does everything else beautifully, I can't ask for more.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7181 of 7891 Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Here's a good looking home server shell shocker deal at NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...5-_-04092012_1

HP ProLiant N40L Ultra Micro Tower Server System AMD Turion II Neo N40L 1.5GHz 2C 2GB (1 x 2GB) 1 x 250GB LFF SATA 658553-001

bundled with
1x Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB

$289.99

post #7182 of 7891 Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

So its done finally

This is by far the hardest build i ever done, a lot of issues happen before i could finish it, more than 2 months all weekends working on it. Starting with Asus P8B WS mobo with restarting issues, bought ne PSU, new memory and still no fix, so i return it and got a Supermicro mobo, the first day everything was perfect, second day OS hdd started clicking and no boot, swaped the Hitachi 5k500B for intel x25m 120gb that i had left over (wasn't planing on using it but with hdd prices today....i just grabbed what i had in hand), everything was perfect until i started noticing a loud intermittent noise from the fans, seems a lot of Supermicro mobos have issues controlling PWM fans, it drops them down to 0 and then to full 1600rpm, its an endless loop and very noisy and disturbing, i tried Speedfan and no luck... so i swapped all fans to 3pins and finally everything is good.

This is mostly a storage server for my local network, i had such a good experience with WHSv1 and Acer AH-342 that i decided to build my own as the space wasnt enough for all the media storage for the home network. I had an antec 1200 left over form my past gaming pc, so decided to get some hdd cages to fit 16x hitachi 5k3000, but with the flooding i had to settle for a combination samsung 1.5tb that i had left from the previous server. Here is the list of hardware currently in use,

MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard
MEMORY: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core Server Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-140 RT Low Profile HTPC Heatsink
CPU Fan: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 700 RPM - 9 dBA
Case fans: 7x Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 750 RPM - below 6 dBA
OS drive: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH120G2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 8x HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HDD: 6x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HBA: 2x Intel RAID Controller Card SATA/SAS PCI-E x8 8internal ports (SASUC8I)
Sata cables: 4x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 Unit of .5M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable
Sata power: 4x Silverstone Four-in-one SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors Model CP06
PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
HDD Cages: 4x COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

Here some pics,

After adding all hdds, here is the storage pool,

This are the idle and load (prime95) temps and power consumptions (with the flash the screen appear white and no good daylight there, in case you cant see was 123W idle and 197W load)

Here is a test of transfering a large file from the server to my desktop, and a test while watching a movie over the network,

Here is HDtune of the Hitachi 5k3000 ran inside the server,

Comments,
I had a lot of fun doing the server, started planning a low powered server, but with the trouble i had with the initial parts and wanting to do transcoding on the fly, and maybe even move to a newer OS with ZFS, so i went with better cpu/mobo than i initially planned, but really been a great experience with supermicro and xeon. The SSD is an overkill for this build, specially once i added the SASUC8I, the server takes a long time to boot, 3min+, the ssd doesn't make much of a difference, but i had it laying around and my hitachi 5k500b died while building, and didn't want to spend more so i just used the x25m that i had, still you do feel it once inside windows, like on my desktop everything loads instantly, but for the server doesn't make much of a difference. Im pretty happy with the transfer rate results, im able to sustain close to 100 MB/s over my home gigabit network (really depends on other factors, some files do not transfer that that rate). With what i experience, the only change i would do is going for a server case, while the antec 1200 works and probably maintains the hdds cooler as each cage has its own fan and directly blow air through... its very hard to work with, specially the Cable management, i really tried to hide as much as i could, but once i was dealing with all the sata cables and the PSU cables, there isn't enough room on the 1200 to router all in the back, maybe with some rerouting.... but still its not ideal.

The hdds are pretty quiet, a little noisy on startup... but hey its 14 none suspended mechanical 3.5 hdds, once it boots to WHS the drives are very quiet, even transfering i can bearly notice them. Im also happy with the fans, although its a little weird, the M12 S1 are suppose to be 750rpm fans, but the mobo reads them as 850rpm, still they are very quiet, and the PK1 is also, while not silent, im very pleased with the temps and noise.

Future,
This was suppose to be an 30TB server, but with flooding and today hdds pricing, was impossible to get new drives, so i had to reuse the samsung from my old server, and didnt have 16 drives, but ended with 14, so once the hdds prices go back to normal, im planning on increasing the storage, but i might just leave it as it is, and move to another OS that supports 2tb+ hdds, interested on FreeBSD/ZFS, but this probably going to be long term. Short term Im looking for software that can transcode on the fly for mobile stuff like ipads, iphones, etc.

This is something I am interested in doing.

Would you reccomend windows home server for OS over other available options?

What are advantages and disavantages?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7183 of 7891 Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This is something I am interested in doing.

Would you reccomend windows home server for OS over other available options?

What are advantages and disavantages?

It really comes down to what you need, i had such a good experience with my Acer AH342, that decided on building a server from scratch aimed at WHSv1, its very easy to manage for someone like me that basically only uses windows based PCs. But there are downsides that others have as plus, for example i cant spin down my drives at least with my current setup, while i seen with unraid you can, and for somone looking for 24/7 operation might be worth it. There are tons of options out there, FreeNas, ZFS+Openindiana, unRaid, WHS, Amahi, and the upcoming Windows 8 (this i am very intererested), to mention some, but there are more, no OS is perfect, so check each see what fits better what you want to do.
post #7184 of 7891 Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It really comes down to what you need, i had such a good experience with my Acer AH342, that decided on building a server from scratch aimed at WHSv1, its very easy to manage for someone like me that basically only uses windows based PCs. But there are downsides that others have as plus, for example i cant spin down my drives at least with my current setup, while i seen with unraid you can, and for somone looking for 24/7 operation might be worth it. There are tons of options out there, FreeNas, ZFS+Openindiana, unRaid, WHS, Amahi, and the upcoming Windows 8 (this i am very intererested), to mention some, but there are more, no OS is perfect, so check each see what fits better what you want to do.

All I want is to be able to store media on it and play back from a networked PC in my home.

Period. Stop.

Speed of transfer to and from server is important but relative. 100MB/sec is fine with me. 50 Mb/sec is unacceptable.

Most of my reading from would be from a 7200RPM RAID 0 array... so the paste to server needs to be decent. I move files often. My time is important.

Aside from that I need no special features.

Advice?

Cheapest? Easiest? Simple to set up? Best performance?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7185 of 7891 Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Network Speed (Wired) is only part of it. Slow Drives and Slow CPU also can slow down a connection.

You're connection speed will be over nominally over 50MB on Gigabit. But as I said, that will depends on the other hardware. You will see some 100MB burst but it will not be constant, it depends on several factors including the files themselves.

If you're not interested in the other things a server can do, then you might want to go with FreeNAS or unRAID.

An i3 might be overkill but it also would mean no bottlenecks assuming you're using Gigabit and Router Software/Firmware with good traffic shaping tools.

You might consider using a Gigabit switch over using the ports on your Router/Gateway, even if they are Gigabit.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7186 of 7891 Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

All I want is to be able to store media on it and play back from a networked PC in my home.

Period. Stop.

Speed of transfer to and from server is important but relative. 100MB/sec is fine with me. 50 Mb/sec is unacceptable.

Your first statment would made me recommend you unRaid, but your second would make me recommend agasint, unless you willing to invest into a cache drive and you transfer speed will be equal to whatever drive you chose, the reads on unraid should be around what gigabit lan can give you, so the only downside is the write speeds without having a cache drive for it. Check the following thread, 51TB unRAID Server, pretty nice unraid server he has.

A raid 5 setup will give much better perfromance, but moving on gigabit lan that will be your bottleneck.

Quote:

Cheapest?

Probably something like a HP proliant server, and freeNAS.

Quote:

Easiest?

Really depends on each, for me its mostly windows envoirment so WHS was really good experience for me.

Quote:

Simple to set up?

WHSv1 or unRaid would be my picks here, but havent tested WHS2011, Amahi, could be good candidates.

Quote:

Best performance?

Probably OpenIndiana+ZFS, but not so easy to setup. Maybe soemthing with raid 5 or whatever raid that fits what you want, and it will be very fast, probably more than what you gigabit lan can give you.

Look something like StardogChampions build to me its a very nice not so expensive WHS2011 setup, it should allow you a bunch of drives and not so expensive, there are 3rd party apps like Flexraid or addins like Drivebender that might allow you to create a big storage pool, or wait for windows 8 storage, seems very promising, im probably moving my WHSv1 to it, once its released and its stable.
post #7187 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Abula, my friend, nice to see you here!

During large file transfers (MKVs, WTVs) I get 80-90MB/s transfer speeds with that build Abula is referencing. I am using the onboard LAN of the E35M1-I, nothing special, with a Gigabit network.

BTW, that build is slightly different now in that the OS drive is a 64GB Kingston V100 SSD, the PSU is an FSP SFX12V 80+ Bronze 300W and I swapped the silver for a black PC-Q08. Yeah, pretty vain for something that sits in the basement .

I too am looking forward to Windows 8 for Storage Spaces.

post #7188 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 205
I get 90-110MB/s consistently to and from my server with the new Intel gigabit NIC.

Very happy with these speeds. All green drives, of course.

BTW I am about to venture into the world of flexraid. Wish me luck.
post #7189 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your first statment would made me recommend you unRaid, but your second would make me recommend agasint, unless you willing to invest into a cache drive and you transfer speed will be equal to whatever drive you chose, the reads on unraid should be around what gigabit lan can give you, so the only downside is the write speeds without having a cache drive for it. Check the following thread, 51TB unRAID Server, pretty nice unraid server he has.

A raid 5 setup will give much better perfromance, but moving on gigabit lan that will be your bottleneck.

Probably something like a HP proliant server, and freeNAS.

Really depends on each, for me its mostly windows envoirment so WHS was really good experience for me.

WHSv1 or unRaid would be my picks here, but havent tested WHS2011, Amahi, could be good candidates.

Probably OpenIndiana+ZFS, but not so easy to setup. Maybe soemthing with raid 5 or whatever raid that fits what you want, and it will be very fast, probably more than what you gigabit lan can give you.

Look something like StardogChampions build to me its a very nice not so expensive WHS2011 setup, it should allow you a bunch of drives and not so expensive, there are 3rd party apps like Flexraid or addins like Drivebender that might allow you to create a big storage pool, or wait for windows 8 storage, seems very promising, im probably moving my WHSv1 to it, once its released and its stable.

Thank you for a very well thought out and intelligent answer.

It is much appreciated and very helpful.

I am leaning towards Windows Home Server I think. I keep reading people have a good experience with it.

The cache your talking about is a SSD ? I would buy all new hardware for this server so I have control over the parts assuming they fall into budget.

-

post #7190 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just installed WHS 2011 on a 64GB SSD last weekend and other than creating the custom cfg.ini on a USB stick there was no other tweaking required. It worked out well for me since I was going to add a drive pool to D: so it was simple to move the serverfolders from C: to D:. Otherwise using the default 160GB minimum HDD install the serverfolders are already on D: so putting the pool there is more of a pain.

FYI, open Notepad and save this to a file named cfg.ini onto an NTFS formatted USB drive:

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

Boot up the install disk with the USB drive inserted and your install will be placed on your < 160GB drive on a single partition.

Any why are you doing it this way? To install to a smaller sized SSD?

-

post #7191 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WHS wants to be installed on a larger partition or drive. 160GB I think.

No real need for a SSD in a server, imo. Once its on and running there is very little benefit.

My WHS is partitioned on one of my Green drives. Works great with the speeds I mentioned above.
post #7192 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No real need for a SSD in a server, imo. Once its on and running there is very little benefit.

My WHS is partitioned on one of my Green drives. Works great with the speeds I mentioned above.

I have a spare 320GB WD blue that is out for RMA. I should receive the new one any day now. That might make a good choice for OS ???

Any reason the OS drive should be separate from the storage drives?

I will have multiple brands and models, mostly 2TB and 3TB WD green, 2TB Hitachi 6g, and a couple 1TB Seagate and Samsung's I have had for while.

Probably 16TB total to start- before I go buying more. Most of which is full currently. Is that a problem? Can you add drives with content already on them? Or would I need to buy a drive... and being transfering it all?

If I can add drives like 2TB and 3TB green drives that are already full of media then the transfer speed is not important- since I can load them from the Hotswap bay in the front of my main PC.

But if I have to copy paste to the server over network- I will blow my head off waiting for 16TB to transfer at 50mb sec or slower...

Perhaps it's not normal to have 20TB of storage inside your PC that needs to be transferred or moved to a server ??? lol...

-

post #7193 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One more question for you server experts:

I have a 4 port Sata PCI card. SYBA. It's a cheap one. only 1.5Gps speed
I have a 2 port Highpoint SataII card PCI-X It runs my two hot swap bays currently.
I have a 4 port Rosewill PCI SataII card. (I think it is SataII anyways)

I was planning on useing these in my server I build. Any reason to do it or not do it?

Does a normal HDD like a 1TB, 2TB or 3TB common HDD matter if it runs a Sata 1.5gps, Sata3G or Sata 6G port.

I have drives that are all three. I have ports that are all three.

For the most part I plan to match the port and the drive to each other-

But honestly- I doubt it matters. Does it?

I mean HDD's are slow. Would they be slower on a 1.5Gps, or much faster on a Sata6G ???

Isn't the speed of the HDD the limiting factor- and even a 1.5gps sata port is faster than a normal HDD ???

perhaps a quick speed burst from cache- but for sustained writes and reads would it even matter?

Should I bother upgrading my Sata PCI and PCI X cards to higher end models?

-

post #7194 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:

One more question for you server experts:

I have a 4 port Sata PCI card. SYBA. It's a cheap one. only 1.5Gps speed
I have a 2 port Highpoint SataII card PCI-X It runs my two hot swap bays currently.
I have a 4 port Rosewill PCI SataII card. (I think it is SataII anyways)

I was planning on useing these in my server I build. Any reason to do it or not do it?

Does a normal HDD like a 1TB, 2TB or 3TB common HDD matter if it runs a Sata 1.5gps, Sata3G or Sata 6G port.

I have drives that are all three. I have ports that are all three.

For the most part I plan to match the port and the drive to each other-

But honestly- I doubt it matters. Does it?

I mean HDD's are slow. Would they be slower on a 1.5Gps, or much faster on a Sata6G ???

Isn't the speed of the HDD the limiting factor- and even a 1.5gps sata port is faster than a normal HDD ???

perhaps a quick speed burst from cache- but for sustained writes and reads would it even matter?

Should I bother upgrading my Sata PCI and PCI X cards to higher end models?

No.
post #7195 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

No.

Since that's the case then what's the point of all these Green Drives having SATA III?
post #7196 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Marketing. Sales. Differentiation.

The theoretical max speed of SATA3 is far beyond what a green drive or ordinary hdd can do.

But if you wanted to get a new 2 tb hdd and you saw a SATA 1 a SATA 2 and a SATA 3 all same price what would you buy ?

Perhaps for bursts... Or from cache ... Or complex raid arrays you might need more. But for typical and sustained reads n writes hdd are far slower than SATA 3 and even SATA 2

I doubt even good hdds could fully saturate a SATA 1 port.

But am not really sure so worth asking here ...

-

post #7197 of 7891 Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Reasons for SSD on a server -

1) Low Power

For a low power 24/7 machine, nothing to spin up or spin down. Reboots for WHS for security or rollup updates = SNAP! Done...

Also making new folders and all other server task happen faster.

2) Disk Space. WHS 2011, the OS is actually on a 60GB partition with only 19.8GB used even after the latest updates I just installed tonight. How many small platter drives are out there?

There's 160GB drive in this laptop. I could put the planned 120-128GB SSD in here and move the laptop drive to the server, but its 5400rpm... Some how that just doesn't seem smart.

If I can find the Sapphire E350 Pure board for a good price, it has a PCI-e x1 slot that on other boards like Asus or Zotac mount WiFi laptop cards, but Sapphire leaves open and there are 64GB min-SSD's that I wanted to install in there.

That leaves ALL the SATA ports open for drives.... Its a bit overkill with Bluetooth, but because of that slot I think its worth the trouble. Its fairly expensive and rare to find though.

Sort of blows my server upgrade budget but it might be worth it.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7198 of 7891 Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Reasons for SSD on a server -

1) Low Power

For a low power 24/7 machine, nothing to spin up or spin down. Reboots for WHS for security or rollup updates = SNAP! Done...

Also making new folders and all other server task happen faster.

2) Disk Space. WHS 2011, the OS is actually on a 60GB partition with only 19.8GB used even after the latest updates I just installed tonight. How many small platter drives are out there?

There's 160GB drive in this laptop. I could put the planned 120-128GB SSD in here and move the laptop drive to the server, but its 5400rpm... Some how that just doesn't seem smart.

If I can find the Sapphire E350 Pure board for a good price, it has a PCI-e x1 slot that on other boards like Asus or Zotac mount WiFi laptop cards, but Sapphire leaves open and there are 64GB min-SSD's that I wanted to install in there.

That leaves ALL the SATA ports open for drives.... Its a bit overkill with Bluetooth, but because of that slot I think its worth the trouble. Its fairly expensive and rare to find though.

Sort of blows my server upgrade budget but it might be worth it.

In my case I stole a 320GB WD Blue from an older laptop for use in a Xbox 360 4GB that I got for $100 on Black Friday. I had a 240GB 2.5" drive as the OS drive in my WHS server. The Crucial 64GB SSDs went on sale for $65.

I used that as a reason to get that laptop working for my kids and by "upgrading" my server to a SSD and putting the 240GB HDD into the laptop all for $65. The only problem was needing the boot script since WHS wants a 160GB drive for installation.

Now would I move my server to a regular HDD? Nope. Once you go SSD you can't go back. My server has the one 64GB SSD and four 2TB HDDs pooled with StableBit Drivepool. Duplication only applied to select folders that I want duplicated. C: is 64GB and D: is 8TB

post #7199 of 7891 Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In my case I stole a 320GB WD Blue from an older laptop for use in a Xbox 360 4GB that I got for $100 on Black Friday. I had a 240GB 2.5" drive as the OS drive in my WHS server. The Crucial 64GB SSDs went on sale for $65.

I used that as a reason to get that laptop working for my kids and by "upgrading" my server to a SSD and putting the 240GB HDD into the laptop all for $65. The only problem was needing the boot script since WHS wants a 160GB drive for installation.

Now would I move my server to a regular HDD? Nope. Once you go SSD you can't go back. My server has the one 64GB SSD and four 2TB HDDs pooled with StableBit Drivepool. Duplication only applied to select folders that I want duplicated. C: is 64GB and D: is 8TB

I'm a huge SSD proponent. Just don't know that one is really needed for a server.
post #7200 of 7891 Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a huge SSD proponent. Just don't know that one is really needed for a server.

I would have spent about the same amount buying a HDD to get that old laptop working. Now I get all the pluses that dj4monie mentioned. If the drive was more than $65 then I probably wouldn't have done it. Like I said before, I was running my server on an old laptop HDD in the first place.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page