Guide To Building A Media Storage Server - Page 242 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7231 of 7891 Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Is there a sticky or particular thread that explains clearly and complete all the steps to install your WHS2011 onto a 60GB SSD drive?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7891 Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is there a sticky or particular thread that explains clearly and complete all the steps to install your WHS2011 onto a 60GB SSD drive?

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/201...er-than-160gb/
Installing WHS 2011 on SSD or SATA Hard Drives smaller than 160GB
SEPTEMBER 20, 2011 BY JOHN KELLER 54 COMMENTS

Introduction

As we all know (or most of us anyways) when Microsoft began working on their newest version of Windows Home Server (and subsequently Small Business Server 2011 Essentials) they felt once again the need to treat the rest of the consumer population like uneducated children. So in Microsoft's infinite wisdom they set a pre-determined absolute minimum size of what the system partition should be and subsequently the size of the secondary partition on the primary hard drive as well (which usually is determined by what is left over when the WHS 2011 or SBS 2011 E installer finishes making the primary partition).

Now granted nowadays you can usually buy a 1TB SATA drive for about $50 (US) or when you buy your PC or small business server that usually comes with a minimum between 250GB and 500GB SATA hard drive. So for most consumers this is usually not an issue. However in very recent years with the advent of the Solid State Drives (or SSD's) your higher average Joe consumer, like the Hobbyist or even professional IT want to take advantage of the faster speed times and application responses that SSD has to offer. The only problem is with this is they are still very, very expensive to obtain. So if you want to install your primary WHS 2011 or even your SBS 2011 E on one of these babies since the minimum coded requirement for either operating system is 160GB you would need to buy a 256GB Solid State Drive for approximately $400 (US). Holy Crap Batman! I can build an entire Windows Home Server (or even buy one) for less than that. So how can I build a Windows Home Server 2011 or even a Small Business 2011 Essentials Server with the advance technology of SSD hard drives and not have to Mortgage our house and sacrifice our first born? One of our own Forum Members found that very answer (See Acknowledgements at the end of this article).

By using the automated install option available with WHS 2011 our Forum Member was able to install WHS 2011 on a 64GB SSD Drive. A 64GB SSD drive is still slightly expensive ($100 - US) but a far cry cheaper than if you would have gotten the minimum required 256GB SSD for the Operating System. From there Cheaper SATA drives can be used for Storage of Backups and Server data files.

Who this Article is For?

This article is to be used with WHS 2011 who want to install the before mentioned operating system on Hard Drives smaller than 160GB. This can be either Solid State Drives or even the traditional IDE-SATA drives.

Requirements

· A USB Flash Drive formatted NTFS

· WHS 2011 Install DVD

· A PC or Server that meets the minimum hardware requirements (with the exception of the hard drive minimum requirement)

· Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse.

Disclaimer

The How to information is intended as a guide or a helping resource to those who are trying to install Windows Home Server 2011 on Hard Drives that are smaller than the usually minimum required 160GB. There is no 100% guarantee that this will install correctly as described in this article. I assume no responsibility for any consequences of the install and the user will assume the full risk of any adverse effects of a bad installation.

Instructions

1. Remove all Hard Drives currently connected to you system with the exception of the targeted SSD or traditional SATA Drive that will be used for either your WHS 2011 Operating System .

NOTE - Remember to insure all previous Data you want saved from the targeted drive is removed before installation or it will be permanently lost.

2. Format an NTFS USB Flash Drive, and create a file on it using notepad in the root called cfg.ini. (Insure there is nothing else on the USB)

3. Open the cfg.ini in notepad or any other text editor

4. Cut and Paste the following into the cfg.ini file below

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

5. Close the file and save it on the USB Flash Drive.

6. Insert the USB Flash Drive with the cfg.ini file into the targeted WHS 2011 Server's empty USB Slot.

7. Power up your Server and insure that either your Windows Home Server 2011 install DVD has been inserted into your Servers ROM.

8. Once your Server has booted off the install DVD the Installer will read the CFG.ini file and begin the automated install process. There should be NO User Input required during this time.

9. When your Server Installer has finished its first part of the Install and goes to reboot for the 1st time REMOVE the USB Flash Drive and the Install DVD from your Server BEFORE your server boots back up ( As shown below). This will allow the Server upon rebooting to find your hard drive and continue the installation from there without further interruption.

10. No Further action on your part will be required and the rest of the install will finish automatically, again without any user intervention.

11. Once the installation has completed please plug in any other drives and continue with completing your server build.

Acknowledgements

I want to give big thanks to Forum Member Mr. John Inwood (AKA Coalfield) for spending countless hours and referencing many different Microsoft forums for initialing finding the solution to circumventing the 160GB minimum requirement for WHS 2011. I would like to also thank Forum Member Mr. Gnomatic for refining the execution process of this solution. This article is based on their contributions.

BIG THANKS TO ASSASSIN FOR THE LINK TO THIS

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7233 of 7891 Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
You are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7234 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can someone explain to me why people are building these beastly machines just for storage? shouldn't some crappy mini itx setup with a bunch of drives be enough for just storage?
post #7235 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtadeo View Post

can someone explain to me why people are building these beastly machines just for storage? shouldn't some crappy mini itx setup with a bunch of drives be enough for just storage?

I don't really see anyone suggesting a beastly machine at all.
A mini-itx setup with a bunch of drives would work fine, although you need to clarify what a bunch of means? itx boards tend to be more expensive then their ATX counterpart and contain less sata ports. Since most cases that hold a bunch of drives are large and can accommodate an ATX board, I'm unsure why you would want an ITX board.

For further consideration, many people prefer to have their storage server perform more then one function, to include backing up client computers, acting as an SQL database, serving as an acquisition tool for their media products, etc...
post #7236 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

I don't really see anyone suggesting a beastly machine at all.
A mini-itx setup with a bunch of drives would work fine, although you need to clarify what a bunch of means? itx boards tend to be more expensive then their ATX counterpart and contain less sata ports. Since most cases that hold a bunch of drives are large and can accommodate an ATX board, I'm unsure why you would want an ITX board.

For further consideration, many people prefer to have their storage server perform more then one function, to include backing up client computers, acting as an SQL database, serving as an acquisition tool for their media products, etc...

I was looking at this post
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1354

but what you said makes sense...
I just want to build a NAS that offers about 6TB+ available (no raid, JBOD). I plan on getting one of those Ceton network tuners (hd) that can record up to 6 channels at once... Will a small NAS work in this case?
post #7237 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I just want to build a NAS that offers about 6TB+ available (no raid, JBOD). I plan on getting one of those Ceton network tuners (hd) that can record up to 6 channels at once... Will a small NAS work in this case?

Of course it will. It's simply a matter of selecting what components meet all your needs.
post #7238 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

The Ceton can only record up to four channels. The HD Homerun Prime cablecard network tuner has a three and six tuner version, but the six tuner version requires two cablecards (simply two 3-tuner ones in a single box).

I'm not sure that you can use a NAS to store recorded TV directly. WMC uses a local disc for recorded TV storage. You would need to "hack" it to save directly to NAS with iSCSI. Or you move to the .wtv files to the NAS using a script.

post #7239 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The Ceton can only record up to four channels. The HD Homerun Prime cablecard network tuner has a three and six tuner version, but the six tuner version requires two cablecards (simply two 3-tuner ones in a single box).

I'm not sure that you can use a NAS to store recorded TV directly. WMC uses a local disc for recorded TV storage. You would need to "hack" it to save directly to NAS with iSCSI. Or you move to the .wtv files to the NAS using a script.

I'm referring to the Ceton Q (hasn't been released yet)... I heard that it will also work with XBMC so I won't have to use WMC.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/
post #7240 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm referring to the Ceton Q (hasn't been released yet)... I heard that it will also work with XBMC so I won't have to use WMC.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/

Can you post a link which shows that you won't have to use WMC with the Q? The only thing that I'm aware of that works with a cablecard tuner outside of WMC is programming that isn't copy flagged.

post #7241 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Can you post a link which shows that you won't have to use WMC with the Q? The only thing that I'm aware of that works with a cablecard tuner outside of WMC is programming that isn't copy flagged.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/p...-via-infinitv/

I believe this is similar.. I could be wrong
post #7242 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/p...-via-infinitv/

I believe this is similar.. I could be wrong

That's what I thought. If your provider doesn't flag any content then you will get all channels. If any content is copy flagged then you won't get those channels. Only WMC has the proper DRM.

post #7243 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
The Ceton Q is a full system that will run embedded Windows 7, Windows Media Center, and will contain an InfiniTV 6 HD tuner card. They've been saying they're going to sell the InfiniTV 6 HD tuner card separately pretty much ever since the original 4 tuner version came out, but still haven't said when it will go on sale. I don't see how the Q will work with XBMC, but XBMC has (sort of, from what I understand) added support for CableCard tuners. So what jtadeo should be looking to purchase is an InfiniTV 4 card (or the InfiniTV 6 if they ever start selling them), not the Q.
post #7244 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The Ceton Q is a full system that will run embedded Windows 7, Windows Media Center, and will contain an InfiniTV 6 HD tuner card. They've been saying they're going to sell the InfiniTV 6 HD tuner card separately pretty much ever since the original 4 tuner version came out, but still haven't said when it will go on sale. I don't see how the Q will work with XBMC, but XBMC has (sort of, from what I understand) added support for CableCard tuners. So what jtadeo should be looking to purchase is an InfiniTV 4 card (or the InfiniTV 6 if they ever start selling them), not the Q.

I have multiple computers in my house and 2 xboxes. I want to go with the Ceton Q because it's a networked base tuner that all the other devices can connect to and use. I don't want to go with the infinitv 4 card because that means that a computer has to be on all the time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what the ceton q can do... I am under the impression that I can have all my windows 7 mce machines use the tuner to record.
post #7245 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I have multiple computers in my house and 2 xboxes. I want to go with the Ceton Q because it's a networked base tuner that all the other devices can connect to and use. I don't want to go with the infinitv 4 card because that means that a computer has to be on all the time.

The Q ~IS~ a computer that will need to be on all the time. And there's no guarantee that they'll enable network tuner sharing on it. You'll certainly be able to use the XBOX's as extenders with it but may not be able to allocate tuners to your other computers.

Quote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what the ceton q can do... I am under the impression that I can have all my windows 7 mce machines use the tuner to record.

I don't think they've announced support for sharing the tuners from the Q to other computers. You may want to take a look at the Ceton Q DVR-HTPC Info Thread for more info. But in short, think of the Q as a Tivo or cable company DVR replacement, not as a network tuner.

Based on what you've described, the Q is probably not the best solution for your needs.
post #7246 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The Q ~IS~ a computer that will need to be on all the time. And there's no guarantee that they'll enable network tuner sharing on it. You'll certainly be able to use the XBOX's as extenders with it but may not be able to allocate tuners to your other computers.

I don't think they've announced support for sharing the tuners from the Q to other computers. You may want to take a look at the Ceton Q DVR-HTPC Info Thread for more info. But in short, think of the Q as a Tivo or cable company DVR replacement, not as a network tuner.

Based on what you've described, the Q is probably not the best solution for your needs.

I was completely mistaken, thanks for the clarification.
post #7247 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was completely mistaken, thanks for the clarification.

To use an Xbox 360 with a cablecard tuner you'll need something in the house running WMC (the Ceton Q is a WMC box). The Xbox is a WMC extender.

To use other computers to watch content from a cablecard tuner you'll need tuner sharing. Also, other computers can't act as WMC extenders.

Sticking with Ceton you could use the Q with Echos and/or Xbox 360s.

post #7248 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't want to go with the infinitv 4 card because that means that a computer has to be on all the time.

FWIW, that doesn't mean a computer has to be on all the time. It can be in S3 sleep, and WMC will wake it when it's time to record.

(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #7249 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

FWIW, that doesn't mean a computer has to be on all the time. It can be in S3 sleep, and WMC will wake it when it's time to record.

another excellent point, thanks!

thinking about going with infinitv 4 usb now unless I should go with the pci
post #7250 of 7891 Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Cause you can never have to much storage. You first say you only want 6TB but that gets filled real quick and next thing you know, you are taking out a second on the house to buy more hard drives.
post #7251 of 7891 Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Cause you can never have to much storage. You first say you only want 6TB but that gets filled real quick and next thing you know, you are taking out a second on the house to buy more hard drives.

lol

yes

-

post #7252 of 7891 Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Disk Space the "Final Frontier"
post #7253 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Server motherboard or standard motherboard for a whs 2011 htpc server?

What say you?

post #7254 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What say you?

Funny, there's the same discussion going on over at WeGotServed

Some people say that a server MB is needed.

Personally, I've had no problems running an old, standard MB - an ASUS M3A78-CM. True, I've had to use Windows 7 X64 drivers (because ASUS don't provide Windows Server 2008 drivers for this class of MB), and I got the chipset drivers direct from AMD. But on the other hand, it's worked faultlessly for WHS 2011 for me.

Oh, one other thing that has probably helped - I've followed the KISS principle. No RAID for me. Just a bunch of WD Green drives.

Geoff Coupe
post #7255 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

What say you?

I wanted to keep power, noise and heat low. I am using a socket AM3 Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H motherboard with onboard video (non server). The CPU is the Athlon II X2 240e with 4GB memory. I have an SSD, 2 2TB drives (one 7200 and one 5900) and Fax modem. It's home is in our hall coat closet, temps stay low CPU is at 98F and hard drives are at 98F and 91F. It runs at 58 watts. WHS2011 runs very solid and typically does not restart until updates require it.

The decision for type of motherboard really depends on your goals for the server and how plan to use the server.
post #7256 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What say you?

I can't seem to find a reason to use a "server" board specifically.

But I am not as experienced as others, having just started with servers.

-

post #7257 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Ya , I would defiantly agree .

I think there is a fine line between what a server board is meat to accomplish and what WE as a community have come to expect from our htpc (s) . I am afraid we are right on the bleeding edge . If I had to lean one direction ... I would agree with Mfusick

BTW Mfusick ... that's a dead even 6,400 posts in case you did not notice A Big shout out for your support !! Thanks
post #7258 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Instructions

1. Remove all Hard Drives currently connected to you system with the exception of the targeted SSD or traditional SATA Drive that will be used for either your WHS 2011 Operating System .

NOTE - Remember to insure all previous Data you want saved from the targeted drive is removed before installation or it will be permanently lost.

2. Format an NTFS USB Flash Drive, and create a file on it using notepad in the root called cfg.ini. (Insure there is nothing else on the USB)

3. Open the cfg.ini in notepad or any other text editor

4. Cut and Paste the following into the cfg.ini file below

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

5. Close the file and save it on the USB Flash Drive.

6. Insert the USB Flash Drive with the cfg.ini file into the targeted WHS 2011 Server's empty USB Slot.

7. Power up your Server and insure that either your Windows Home Server 2011 install DVD has been inserted into your Servers ROM.

8. Once your Server has booted off the install DVD the Installer will read the CFG.ini file and begin the automated install process. There should be NO User Input required during this time.

9. When your Server Installer has finished its first part of the Install and goes to reboot for the 1st time REMOVE the USB Flash Drive and the Install DVD from your Server BEFORE your server boots back up ( As shown below). This will allow the Server upon rebooting to find your hard drive and continue the installation from there without further interruption.

10. No Further action on your part will be required and the rest of the install will finish automatically, again without any user intervention.

11. Once the installation has completed please plug in any other drives and continue with completing your server build.

Guys I need help. I am having issue installing with this method. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I took a USB3.0 8GB stick- formatted it NTFS- then I named a wordpad document cfg.ini and saved it to the USB stick. IT is the only file on the USB stick.

I opened it up- copied and pasted:

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

Then saved it again to the USB stick. I verified it was there, then inserted it into my Server motherboard.

The only drive I have hooked up is a 60GB SSD drive, and also a SATA DVD drive to install the DVD install disc from.

The instructions say no user input required. But when I boot up it goes to the screen asking me for new or existing install.

If I choose NEW then it gives me an error message. I assume the error is that the drive is too small.

HELP ???
Idea?s

-

post #7259 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a different USB port.

post #7260 of 7891 Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Try a different USB port.

I did.

Am I supposed to name the USB stick cfg.ini ?

Or just save a notepad file called cfg.ini on the USB stick ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page