Guide To Building A Media Storage Server - Page 247 - AVS Forum
First ... 245  246  247 248  249  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > Guide To Building A Media Storage Server
assassin's Avatar assassin 04:48 PM 05-30-2012
My writes are 110-120 on whs + flexraid using all green drives.

jrolmstd's Avatar jrolmstd 06:07 PM 05-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Now that is impressive and a whole lot cheaper than a HW solution.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 07:59 PM 05-30-2012
Quote:

I don't get over 100 ever. Any clue why ?
assassin's Avatar assassin 08:13 PM 05-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I don't get over 100 ever. Any clue why ?

I am not sure.

This is what I get.

Wall.E was a little slower. About 80-100

John P's Avatar John P 09:29 PM 05-30-2012
Find the LSI_SAS2.INF file in your driver package.

Use notepad and add the following line to the [Shutdown_addreg] section of the file.

HKR,"StorPort","EnableIdlePowerManagement",0x00010001,0x01

Save the modified file and reinstall the driver.

I found this mod on a server forum and it seems to work with my LSI SAS 9201-16i controller.
stepmback's Avatar stepmback 07:30 AM 05-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

Find the LSI_SAS2.INF file in your driver package.

Use notepad and add the following line to the [Shutdown_addreg] section of the file.

HKR,"StorPort","EnableIdlePowerManagement",0x00010001,0x01

Save the modified file and reinstall the driver.

I found this mod on a server forum and it seems to work with my LSI SAS 9201-16i controller.

Thanks John. I will try it out and let you know how it works.
StardogChampion's Avatar StardogChampion 08:24 AM 05-31-2012
I haven't seen this board before but it looks like it would make an interesting mini-server board. It has 6 x SATA3 and dual-core 1.0Ghz CPU.

ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion APU C-60 AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard

I have the E35M1-I in my WHS and it's very good. I get 80MB-90MB file transfer speeds for large files (MKV 1080p rips) over my mixed Cat5e/Cat6 network.

It's also really inexpensive, $79.99 + $7 shipping.
jrolmstd's Avatar jrolmstd 09:40 PM 05-31-2012
Quote:

I am not sure.

This is what I get.

Wall.E was a little slower. About 80-100

My first setup utilized AMDs built in raid 5 solution. Reads could hit the 80-90 range but writes were in the sub 20s. Putz'd with it for a couple of months trying different tweaks and what not and finally just got feed up with it.
Installed a INTEL RES2SV240 card and LSI 9260-4I after blowing away the sw raid. Lasted 10 days and then lost the ability to see any of 12 drives on the system. Both LSI and Intel stepped up big time with support to help determine it was the Intel card that had died. Intel crossed shipped a replacement in 2 days. Been running fine for several months now. Costly to set up but I would not go back to what I had. Too spoiled by the triple digit transfers I get now
assassin's Avatar assassin 10:10 PM 05-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post

My first setup utilized AMDs built in raid 5 solution. Reads could hit the 80-90 range but writes were in the sub 20s. Putz'd with it for a couple of months trying different tweaks and what not and finally just got feed up with it.
Installed a INTEL RES2SV240 card and LSI 9260-4I after blowing away the sw raid. Lasted 10 days and then lost the ability to see any of 12 drives on the system. Both LSI and Intel stepped up big time with support to help determine it was the Intel card that had died. Intel crossed shipped a replacement in 2 days. Been running fine for several months now. Costly to set up but I would not go back to what I had. Too spoiled by the triple digit transfers I get now

I don't do a ton of large file transfers so for me the speeds are nice but not critical.

I do like the speeds I get with the software raid and green drive setup though.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 06:17 PM 06-02-2012
Quote:

I don't do a ton of large file transfers so for me the speeds are nice but not critical.

I do like the speeds I get with the software raid and green drive setup though.

I do a decent amount of 50GB+ copy and pastes..

But I would be happy with near 100MB sec or faster...

Heck- USB 2.0 was only a quarter of that and I lived with that for a while.
azula's Avatar azula 12:05 PM 06-03-2012
Just wanted to know if the server Gods could check out my first unRAID build:

Case: Antec 300
Mobo: ASRock 880GM AMD
CPU: AMD Athlon II
PSU: Corsair 430
Ram: Kingston 2gb
HDD: (3) 2TB WD Greens

Flash drive, keyboard/mouse and sata cables also. Thanks!
assassin's Avatar assassin 12:40 PM 06-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Just wanted to know if the server Gods could check out my first unRAID build:

Case: Antec 300
Mobo: ASRock 880GM AMD
CPU: AMD Athlon II
PSU: Corsair 430
Ram: Kingston 2gb
HDD: (3) 2TB WD Greens

Flash drive, keyboard/mouse and sata cables also. Thanks!

I would use a lower wattage CPU personally for a server. But otherwise looks fine.

If you are going to eventually fill the 300 with 10+ drives you might want to consider a slightly larger PSU but even the 430 would work.
azula's Avatar azula 03:41 PM 06-03-2012
Quote:

I would use a lower wattage CPU personally for a server. But otherwise looks fine.

If you are going to eventually fill the 300 with 10+ drives you might want to consider a slightly larger PSU but even the 430 would work.

Thanks Assassin,

Which CPU would you recommend? Also, will it be able to handle the ad ons (3rd party apps) as well?
assassin's Avatar assassin 03:52 PM 06-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Thanks Assassin,

Which CPU would you recommend? Also, will it be able to handle the ad ons (3rd party apps) as well?

G530/620 using ~30w is pretty tough to beat given how much CPU power you are getting for the price. Yes, it will handle the apps.
azula's Avatar azula 08:12 PM 06-03-2012
I will check these out, thanks!
assassin's Avatar assassin 08:55 PM 06-03-2012
For those of you reading this and wanting to get into a HTPC Server but not quite sure how I now have a complete set of guides over at www.assassinserver.com
  • Hardware Guide (Assassin Style)
  • BIOS
  • WHS2011
  • FlexRaid
  • UnRaid
  • SnapRaid

TRaSH-'s Avatar TRaSH- 10:17 AM 06-07-2012
hope you guys can help me,
didn't know if this is the right topic but there's allot of talk here about whs 2011 so i thought i give it a try.

running WHS 2011 now on a 7200 rpm drive 250 GB(on a HP MicroServer 40L)
and i want to transfer the OS to a SSD because the microserver doesn't support standby only hibernate or off mad.gif
is is possible to use some kind of clone software to transfer the OS to the SSD and keep the 250 Gb as the D drive ?

someone tried this before ?
if so which clone software did you use ?
anything i need to keep a eye on ?

another issue i got with WHS 2011 i can't really figure out.
i installed the NFS service and all is running.
made some NFS share's and they work partly
the NFS shares for example made on "F:\#MOVIES\" work i can access them from my HTPC (running xbmc)
but the NFS shares i made in the serverfolder (the folders that are created with the dashboard) i'm not able to access from my HTPC i can see the shares but i'm not able to access what's inside.
if i choose the same folders under SMB i'm able to access them.
could it be that NFS shares don't work when using the dashboard SMB shares ?
ncarty97's Avatar ncarty97 07:01 PM 06-08-2012
I posted on this over at the FlexRAID forums, but wanted to check here as well since it gets so much more traffic.

I'm using WHSv1. I've got five 2TB drives, plus 1 TB and 1 750GB. I've been using folder duplication and have about 5TB worth of data. With the duplication. that is leaving me a little under 1TB of space. So I was thinking of trying out FlexRAID so that I have more usable space. The vast majority of that 5TB is Blu-Ray and DVD rips.

I'm a bit confused about how FlexRAID will work with WHSv1 though. If I am not using FlexRAID's storage pool, then WHS will still see the individual drives in the . So what happens when one fails? The only thread I saw said basically that you should remove the failed drive from the pool (WHS though would try to save as much data as possible and deposit it elsewhere), remove the drive, add a new drive, add it to the pool, then use the FlexRAID recovery to restore the data to the new drive. That seems problematic though because you end up duplicating any saved data (or would WHS realize this and fix it?).

And what happens if I use FlexRAID's storage pool, so WHS sees one 11.75TB drive and one drive fails? Is it all taken care of in FlexRAID and WHS doesn't know the difference?

I also saw one person on another thread say that they used FlexRAID for movies and video, and folder duplication for everything else. I'm not sure how that would work though unless the FlexRAID drive was outside the WHS storage pool, but then wouldn't the the folders on the FlexRAID drive not show up as part of the shared folders in the console and such?
bkinder83's Avatar bkinder83 07:03 PM 06-18-2012
Quote:
G530/620 using ~30w is pretty tough to beat given how much CPU power you are getting for the price. Yes, it will handle the apps.

Would you recommend this processor even if your media server was doing some transcoding? As in a scenario where you have your Plex Server streaming to the client on a Roku.
assassin's Avatar assassin 07:05 PM 06-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder83 View Post

Quote:
Would you recommend this processor even if your media server was doing some transcoding? As in a scenario where you have your Plex Server streaming to the client on a Roku.

I use my server in this manner with a G530. Works great.
dj4monie's Avatar dj4monie 09:05 PM 06-20-2012
Input desired -

I am looking to assign more task to the server since it sits idle most of the time. Its a Dell GX-320 Mini Tower (P4 Prescott, 2GB of DDR2, 4TB of space, 1200GB free).

I read this automation tutorial - http://lifehacker.com/5475649/set-up-a-fully-automated-media-center and thought, rather than running this on a client machine (My HTPC) run these items on the server. I found how to make uTorrent a service on WHS 2011 - http://jack.ukleja.com/utorrent-service-windows-home-server-2011/ and found another forum link (on the Green Button) about running TED on WHS 2011 as well. I am shopping Newsgroups now to gauge how much I would use it vs cost.

I have looked at installing Plex Server as well. I am also a fan of Media Center Master, which handles metadata locally but it can also be pressed into service using uTorrent and Newsgroups. I'm also looking at Sickbeard.

How many of you run these programs on your server and what's the result? Most of these programs are fairly lightweight once running. I understand RunAnyService does work on WHS 2011 and will setup programs to run as a service since I don't have a version of Windows that has Remote Desktop.

Since I can setup these programs to run, download, rename, get metadata and move files to the proper folder automagically with the previously mentioned tutorial, that means beyond getting metadata or letting Plex Server do the work, it seems MCM has outlived its usefulness especially since you have to pay monthly or a one-time fee to get torrent client control and newsgroup downloading, while Plex Server for Windows is free and the front end I will run for all this is XBMC or PlexMBC if I can run the same add-ons on PlexMBC (ESPN3, You Tube, Revsion 3, Advanced Launcher, etc)

Looking for your input... thanks.
thu's Avatar thu 11:21 PM 06-22-2012
I managed to pick up a used, completely assembled Chenbro 24 bay server, #51924, for use as a media server.

It all seems to be working and I've managed to install WHS 2011 just fine.

The problem is the 24 bays are connected to 3ware 9500S-12MI RAID cards. Hardware RAIDS are beyond
me and I would just like to try to get FlexRaid working instead.

The Chenbro backplane uses a multi-lane connector for each row of drives.

Any idea if I can connect the drives to a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card using a multi-lane to SATA
reverse breakout cable? I read the SAS connectors are backwards compatible with SATA, so I'm thinking
it should work. But like I said, the RAID stuff is a little beyond me and I just want to make sure.
duff99's Avatar duff99 10:09 PM 06-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thu View Post

I managed to pick up a used, completely assembled Chenbro 24 bay server, #51924, for use as a media server.
It all seems to be working and I've managed to install WHS 2011 just fine.
The problem is the 24 bays are connected to 3ware 9500S-12MI RAID cards. Hardware RAIDS are beyond
me and I would just like to try to get FlexRaid working instead.
The Chenbro backplane uses a multi-lane connector for each row of drives.
Any idea if I can connect the drives to a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card using a multi-lane to SATA
reverse breakout cable? I read the SAS connectors are backwards compatible with SATA, so I'm thinking
it should work. But like I said, the RAID stuff is a little beyond me and I just want to make sure.

It seems to me that you would need something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133034

The reverse breakout cable are for hooking up motherboard ports to 8087 multilane connectors.
thu's Avatar thu 11:15 PM 06-23-2012
Thanks for the link.

I was thinking the SuperMicro card had SATA connectors on it. I never could find a photo of the rearview of the card to tell for sure.

Since it has the SAS connectors, I won't even need to buy the cables as the RAID cards use them. Thanks again.
gsr's Avatar gsr 08:54 AM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thu View Post

Thanks for the link.
I was thinking the SuperMicro card had SATA connectors on it. I never could find a photo of the rearview of the card to tell for sure.
Since it has the SAS connectors, I won't even need to buy the cables as the RAID cards use them. Thanks again.

The SuperMicro card clearly has the 8087 connectors on it: link.

You can see them in the pictures and under "other features" they tell you what kind of connectors are on the card.
dj4monie's Avatar dj4monie 07:46 PM 06-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Input desired -
I am looking to assign more task to the server since it sits idle most of the time. Its a Dell GX-320 Mini Tower (P4 Prescott, 2GB of DDR2, 4TB of space, 1200GB free).
I read this automation tutorial - http://lifehacker.com/5475649/set-up-a-fully-automated-media-center and thought, rather than running this on a client machine (My HTPC) run these items on the server. I found how to make uTorrent a service on WHS 2011 - http://jack.ukleja.com/utorrent-service-windows-home-server-2011/ and found another forum link (on the Green Button) about running TED on WHS 2011 as well. I am shopping Newsgroups now to gauge how much I would use it vs cost.
I have looked at installing Plex Server as well. I am also a fan of Media Center Master, which handles metadata locally but it can also be pressed into service using uTorrent and Newsgroups. I'm also looking at Sickbeard.
How many of you run these programs on your server and what's the result? Most of these programs are fairly lightweight once running. I understand RunAnyService does work on WHS 2011 and will setup programs to run as a service since I don't have a version of Windows that has Remote Desktop.
Since I can setup these programs to run, download, rename, get metadata and move files to the proper folder automagically with the previously mentioned tutorial, that means beyond getting metadata or letting Plex Server do the work, it seems MCM has outlived its usefulness especially since you have to pay monthly or a one-time fee to get torrent client control and newsgroup downloading, while Plex Server for Windows is free and the front end I will run for all this is XBMC or PlexMBC if I can run the same add-ons on PlexMBC (ESPN3, You Tube, Revsion 3, Advanced Launcher, etc)
Looking for your input... thanks.

bump
assassin's Avatar assassin 07:51 PM 06-25-2012
I run Plex Server on my WHS machine with a G530. Works well.
solamnic's Avatar solamnic 01:18 AM 07-01-2012
Dont know if this has been stated before... but sharkoon released

SATA III Cables (compatible with SATA I, II and III).. that are black..

and are as thin as the cable of my iphone charger...

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-iii-standard

They are expensive... but they for make the difference ..for someone like me that have many many Hard Disks on his machine
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 10:31 AM 07-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I run Plex Server on my WHS machine with a G530. Works well.

Better to run on the server than another connected PC on the network ?
assassin's Avatar assassin 11:09 AM 07-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Better to run on the server than another connected PC on the network ?

Completely up to you. I run mine on my server because its always on and connected to the internet and other than storing and streaming media its just sitting there begging to be used.
Tags: Computers
First ... 245  246  247 248  249  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop