post #7891 of 7897 Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 996
clean looking build biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 7897 Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, looking for some advice and maybe bring this thread back from the dead. First off let me state that it's been 15 years since I've built my last pc, so saying I'm out of the loop is an understatement. I would like a home media server and was planning on building one myself based off the Norco 4224 chassis. I plan on using it to store music and uncompressed Blu-ray rips. The OS will be windows based (not sure exactly which platform yet.) Pooling and redundancy will be handled by FlexRaid. It will be using Media Browser to stream to a home theater, Ipads and an Iphone. I would also like this server to be powerful enough to transcode to h.265 for streaming in the future. I've heard it's an intensive process so I'm not sure how powerful the CPU(s) need to be.

Then I stumbled across the "Cheaper alternative to Norco" thread and decided it would be easier to buy a used server. I started watching Ebay and I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171528374048...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
In short it has:
1. Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard: http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...m?IPMI=Y&SAS=N
2. 2 Xeon L5520 2.26GHZ quad core processors
3. Adaptec RAID 5805 controller http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...raid/sas-5805/
4. 16gb memory

To use this in a home setting the PSU would be replaced with something quieter, more efficient and the fans will be replaced to make it as silent as possible. Now, what I'm not sure a about...

Will two quad core processors be enough to transcode to H.265? I would think so. If not hex core processors would be a possibility.

Can you even use a RAID Controller with FlexRaid or should it be using a SAS controller? I have no knowledge of RAID or SAS controllers.

I would like to use 6tb hard drives so I'll have the ability to store 4k media uncompressed in the future. Does anybody know if the raid controller will support drives that big? I have contacted Adaptec customer support but have not received confirmation yet. It could always be replaced with IBM 1015s.

ANY opinions and advice are welcome. If you think it's overkill or impractical don't be afraid to tell me. I'm new to this and could use some guidance. Thanks in advance!
post #7893 of 7897 Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps33 View Post
Ok, looking for some advice and maybe bring this thread back from the dead. First off let me state that it's been 15 years since I've built my last pc, so saying I'm out of the loop is an understatement. I would like a home media server and was planning on building one myself based off the Norco 4224 chassis. I plan on using it to store music and uncompressed Blu-ray rips. The OS will be windows based (not sure exactly which platform yet.) Pooling and redundancy will be handled by FlexRaid. It will be using Media Browser to stream to a home theater, Ipads and an Iphone. I would also like this server to be powerful enough to transcode to h.265 for streaming in the future. I've heard it's an intensive process so I'm not sure how powerful the CPU(s) need to be.

Then I stumbled across the "Cheaper alternative to Norco" thread and decided it would be easier to buy a used server. I started watching Ebay and I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171528374048...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
In short it has:
1. Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard: http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...m?IPMI=Y&SAS=N
3. Adaptec RAID 5805 controller http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...raid/sas-5805/
4. 16gb memory

To use this in a home setting the PSU would be replaced with something quieter, more efficient and the fans will be replaced to make it as silent as possible. Now, what I'm not sure a about...

Will two quad core processors be enough to transcode to H.265? I would think so. If not hex core processors would be a possibility.

Can you even use a RAID Controller with FlexRaid or should it be using a SAS controller? I have no knowledge of RAID or SAS controllers.

I would like to use 6tb hard drives so I'll have the ability to store 4k media uncompressed in the future. Does anybody know if the raid controller will support drives that big? I have contacted Adaptec customer support but have not received confirmation yet. It could always be replaced with IBM 1015s.

ANY opinions and advice are welcome. If you think it's overkill or impractical don't be afraid to tell me. I'm new to this and could use some guidance. Thanks in advance!
For storing large movie collections (data sets which don't change a lot), bit-rot becomes an issue, read this article for background.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...n-filesystems/
I'd look into a ZFS based arrays, either FreeNAS or Nas4Free are the easiest to setup.
It's worth reading some of the threads on both forums to get an idea of system requirements and performance expectations re your transcoding requirements etc.
http://www.freenas.org & https://forums.freenas.org/

The other thing to bear in mind and what most people forget to tell you is that RAID isn't a backup in itself so you should maintain a separate copy of the array. (unless you are happy re-ripping and cataloguing your whole movie collection which for more than handful of disks isn't really viable). Bear this in mind when you are speccing your systems and budget etc.

Last edited by VikingBoy; 11-13-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: thoughts re backups
post #7894 of 7897 Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:

In short it has:
4. 16gb memory

I think the "used" hardware is usually loud, hot, noisy, and energy consuming pigs.

You would do well with a simple but modern build with new hardware IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7895 of 7897 Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingBoy View Post
For storing large movie collections (data sets which don't change a lot), bit-rot becomes an issue, read this article for background.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...n-filesystems/
I'd look into a ZFS based arrays, either FreeNAS or Nas4Free are the easiest to setup.
It's worth reading some of the threads on both forums to get an idea of system requirements and performance expectations re your transcoding requirements etc.
http://www.freenas.org & https://forums.freenas.org/

The other thing to bear in mind and what most people forget to tell you is that RAID isn't a backup in itself so you should maintain a separate copy of the array. (unless you are happy re-ripping and cataloguing your whole movie collection which for more than handful of disks isn't really viable). Bear this in mind when you are speccing your systems and budget etc.
Thanks for the link, there was some interesting information in there! I've had my eye on ZFS systems for a while and I would rather just not learn another OS as of right now. I realize FlexRAID will likely be a limitation once the array gets large enough unless FlexRAID implements features that ZFS contain. Until then I would like to stay on a platform I'm comfortable with. I'm definitely not ruling out a ZFS based array in the future though. My plan for backing up the array is to use Crashplan (yes, I realize this could take months). If I have a catastrophic loss I'll box up the HHDs and send them to crashplan.

In the future I'm hoping there will be streaming services that offer high quality video and audio playback for a reasonable price. Current offerings just don't cut it in my opinion. I can't stand watching Netflix or Hulu on the projector and the selection leaves something to be desired. I have high hopes when 4k becomes standardized, h.265 is adopted and finally becomes mainstream. The media server is a stop gap until this becomes a reality.

On the subject of data rot, I've never knowingly experienced it. I wouldn't expect to have many issues with data rot. I guess if there's an issue it would be easy enough to rip the song or movie that it's affecting and replace the file. I agree it would be nice not to worry about it. If it becomes a common occurrence I'll most likely switch to FreeNAS. Am I underestimating the issue here or just not understanding it?
post #7896 of 7897 Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I think the "used" hardware is usually loud, hot, noisy, and energy consuming pigs.

You would do well with a simple but modern build with new hardware IMO.
Is it possible to build a server with new parts that has the capacity to hold 24 drives and comparable performance with new parts for around the same price? I think I can take care of most of the noise issue and I'm not too worried about it being a power hog. Electricity is cheap. I'm definitely open to a build if I can get the same value out of it. The case alone would cost twice as much brand new as I'd pay for a used server.
post #7897 of 7897 Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the link, there was some interesting information in there! I've had my eye on ZFS systems for a while and I would rather just not learn another OS as of right now. I realize FlexRAID will likely be a limitation once the array gets large enough unless FlexRAID implements features that ZFS contain. Until then I would like to stay on a platform I'm comfortable with. I'm definitely not ruling out a ZFS based array in the future though. My plan for backing up the array is to use Crashplan (yes, I realize this could take months). If I have a catastrophic loss I'll box up the HHDs and send them to crashplan.

In the future I'm hoping there will be streaming services that offer high quality video and audio playback for a reasonable price. Current offerings just don't cut it in my opinion. I can't stand watching Netflix or Hulu on the projector and the selection leaves something to be desired. I have high hopes when 4k becomes standardized, h.265 is adopted and finally becomes mainstream. The media server is a stop gap until this becomes a reality.

On the subject of data rot, I've never knowingly experienced it. I wouldn't expect to have many issues with data rot. I guess if there's an issue it would be easy enough to rip the song or movie that it's affecting and replace the file. I agree it would be nice not to worry about it. If it becomes a common occurrence I'll most likely switch to FreeNAS. Am I underestimating the issue here or just not understanding it?
I don't think you misunderstand - everyone has their priorities. For me the security of my data Ive sent the best part of 15 years collecting, ripping, cataloguing is most critical. I run various backups including duplication to a remote location server but I also run crash plan in the background for CD, Pictures and data files. Its really not very useful for DVD or Blu-ray rips. Yes, it will take them, but the time to upload and download an array of any reasonable number of films would be prohibitive IMHO.

How large do you anticipate your needs to be, you mentioned 6TB disks, how many are you planning on using. With disks of that size forget RAID5 and look to RAID 6 at least. The load placed on the remaining drives during a rebuild when (note: I didn't say if!) one goes down has a high probability of taking another out with it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page