Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pitchford View Post

I've just got an MSI K9a2 Platinum motherboard to work with ny two RaidCore cards.

I bought this board because it's got 4 PCIE slots 2 x16 and 2 x8. has anyone got anything other than a graphics card to work in any of these slots?

No experience with that particular board but i had a msi diamond board with the SLI support and the BIOS would even complain / not boot if you put a non-graphics board in the first PCIe slot. (based on nvidia 780 chipset)

If you're going to try, you should try to optimize the free space in the option bios, which is usually pitifully small on consumer motherboards. I.e. disable the onboard RAID controllers (Intel ICH, jmicron, marvell) or revert them to IDE mode (assuming you don't have any existing raidsets on them) and disable any other boot roms such as for LANs etc. Some raid cards might also let you disable boot support, but you might need to do it from another computer if you can't get it to work in the first place.

The PCIe slots on consumer grade mobos are hit and miss with raid controller compatibility and complaining to the manufacturer will usually net you with a "the pcie slot is intended for graphics boards" response. I remember MSI uses some kind of funky PCIe extender chip to provide extra lanes and it might be causing problems with raid controllers. Same thing for nforce200 or sli boards.

In particular I had a lot of trouble with highpoint cards - for example causing random freezes on heavy GPU loading in a DFI lanparty 4x slot or BSODs with heavy disk access on a gigabyte x48 on the 1x slot. I believe the trouble with those were that the PCIe lanes were being provided by the ICH or the southbridge and the latency was causing issues VS direct northbridge lanes.

It's funny that these mobos tout so many pcie slots but when you actually try to use them they don't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post

With the norcu 4020 lets say with 20 hotswappable 1TB drives. What would be your reasonable usable storage on a RAID 5 setup, Im looking at doing this very thing right now. Im assuming i can get 16 TB?

If you can I would go for Raid6, it allows more failure and when you have that many drives it increases your chances for failed drives.
post #1173 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Admittedly I dont know alot about the raid setups but it appears that raid 6 offers the same drive space as raid 1 (Mirrored) If thats the case i Would rather stay with Raid5. I am currently running raid 5 and its plenty fast enought to stream highbitrate 1080p under my current setup. Can you tell me what other features i would gain by going raid 6?
post #1174 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamone View Post

The PCIe slots on consumer grade mobos are hit and miss with raid controller compatibility and complaining to the manufacturer will usually net you with a "the pcie slot is intended for graphics boards" response. I remember MSI uses some kind of funky PCIe extender chip to provide extra lanes and it might be causing problems with raid controllers. Same thing for nforce200 or sli boards.

In particular I had a lot of trouble with highpoint cards - for example causing random freezes on heavy GPU loading in a DFI lanparty 4x slot or BSODs with heavy disk access on a gigabyte x48 on the 1x slot. I believe the trouble with those were that the PCIe lanes were being provided by the ICH or the southbridge and the latency was causing issues VS direct northbridge lanes.

It's funny that these mobos tout so many pcie slots but when you actually try to use them they don't work.

Just to provide another datapoint on PCI-E slot compatibility, I use a Highpoint 3520 8-port card in a Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard with 2 PCI-E x16 slots. One x16 slot has an NVidia 9800GX2 dual video card, the other has the RAID card. Great performance from both video and RAID.

By your reference to using Highpoint in x1 slots, I assume you are referring to the Highpoint 'fake' RAID cards without Intel IOP processor. I don't have experience with those. Most 'real' RAID cards use an x8 PCI-E slot.

Lifespeed
post #1175 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

RAID-1 has a 50% overhead. RAID-5 has a fixed one drive overhead, and RAID-6 had a fixed two drive overhead.

The advantage of RAID-6 is that it can survive two drive failures and, more importantly, tolerate bit errors during bit errors during single drive rebuilds.

Read performance on optimal RAID-5 and RAID-6 is identical. Random write performance on a RAID-6 is about 50% slower than a RAID-5. However sequential write performance is closer to only 10% slower with a good software design and fast hardware engine. Software RAID-6 is a different story completely.
post #1176 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

RAID-1 has a 50% overhead. RAID-5 has a fixed one drive overhead, and RAID-6 had a fixed two drive overhead.

The advantage of RAID-6 is that it can survive two drive failures and, more importantly, tolerate bit errors during bit errors during single drive rebuilds.

Read performance on optimal RAID-5 and RAID-6 is identical. Random write performance on a RAID-6 is about 50% slower than a RAID-5. However sequential write performance is closer to only 10% slower with a good software design and fast hardware engine. Software RAID-6 is a different story completely.

Good info HappyFunBoater, I guess I will need to find some decent raid cards that support raid 6.
post #1177 of 7891 Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

Most 'real' RAID cards use an x8 PCI-E slot.

uhhh....Now that would be something highly debatable... The definition of "real" is very very subjective. If "real" implies, fast, scalable, feature rich, dependable, great software/driver/firmware support...etc etc, then there's quite a few cards that do not have an IOP onboard, but yet satisfy all those criteria. Are they not "real" RAID cards??

p.s. And sometimes they use "only" an x4 pci-e slot. Shame on them.
post #1178 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM

I just rebuild my WHS install using the drivers through a floppy disk. I installed the ICH9R drivers, but not the Marvel Sata drivers. Looks like I still don't get temp reads.

post #1179 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkouonchi View Post

I think there are several norco models. The one I ended up getting doesn't have separate ports for SAS/SATA and all the cables plug into the right side (looking at it from the back). Here is a high res pic:

Also, I like my drives in read order (left to right top to bottom) so I suggest putting the cables in the opposite order it lists to. I ended up re-doing my cables since the two SF-8087 to 4 SATA cables I bought didn't work my areca and I fixed the order when I had to unhook all the sata cables and re-hook them.

Can someone explain the diffference between these two cases

and the one above?
post #1180 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Pjavan,

I mentioned in a previous post that you have to turn that capability on. It's the gear icon with the green arrow on it in the upper right of the disk management screen.

Your screens indicate that you have it turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjavan View Post

I just rebuild my WHS install using the drivers through a floppy disk. I installed the ICH9R drivers, but not the Marvel Sata drivers. Looks like I still don't get temp reads.

post #1181 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap RAID card? I don't really need the performance of an ARECA card since I'm doing mostly reads off my array, but right now I'm transferring my movies from from my old RAID5 2TB array to a new RAID5 4TB array and the performance is pretty bad (SS attached). I am thinking about getting a HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 because I'm using esata enclosure and that seems like a good card in terms of price and hopefully be faster than what I am getting now....

Forgot to mention I'm using a pci card based on the sil3124 chipset.
LL
post #1182 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169 View Post

Can someone explain the diffference between these two cases

I'm assuming that your fans are there, but you just took them out for simplifying your installation. The red plugs are for serial attached scsi and the 3 pins are for additional fans (I guess somewhere along the line someone thought it would be nice to power a fan for each drive).

As for me, I'm only using the SATA and the 4 pin power plugs connections. FYI, I did contact norco and they recommend all the 4 pins plugged if you're running 20 discs.
post #1183 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjavan View Post

I'm assuming that your fans are there, but you just took them out for simplifying your installation. The red plugs are for serial attached scsi and the 3 pins are for additional fans (I guess somewhere along the line someone thought it would be nice to power a fan for each drive).

As for me, I'm only using the SATA and the 4 pin power plugs connections. FYI, I did contact norco and they recommend all the 4 pins plugged if you're running 20 discs.

Well why are there red and blue sata connections?
post #1184 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169 View Post

Well why are there red and blue sata connections?

The red ones are sas, the blue ones are sata
post #1185 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 PM

I would like to build a budget media server based on WHS

would like to use the norco 4020 case and a power supply for 20 drives. i will start with 3 drives but i want all the hardware there so all i have to do is order another harddrive and plug it in when my storage needs are increased

any specs for a complete build would be great

mobo?
Processor?
Ram?
Sata controller/s (not a $1000 one/ budget please)

no raid suggestions, no backup, just storage
post #1186 of 7891 Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to thank everyone involved in this thread. It has been extremely useful in my research. I've been a lurker, and occasional poster, in many of the NAS threads but my needs simply couldn't be met with what I saw there. It's an understatement to say I was excited when I found the 48TB build log, and then this thread! I am currently still in the research phase, and am hoping many of the fine posters here will help me out in designing a system to fulfill my needs.

So first thing's first, I must find myself the proper OS. Having given some serious thought to my needs, I've decided at least at this point HW RAID is just not in the cards right now for several reasons. My top two picks are Windows Home Sever and unRAID (and to a lessar extent, SW RAID either via Linux or WinServer of some variety). I'm hoping you all can help me make an informed decision on what would match my needs the most.

First off, I really love the idea of unRAID having parity. While obviously it's not a perfect defense, I really don't love the idea of having to replace a disc worth of data; and this obviously makes it a bit less likely. That said, I really like some of the extras that come with WHS. Easy scheduling of backups for networked PC's, remote access, etc all things that I would be inclined to use. Here's the problem though, part of the reason I have chosen to go with a dedicated server versus a NAS solution is that I would like to use my PS3 as one of my extenders. While it has some decent codec support, it certainly is lacking in many areas. One way around that is by using a DNLA server that offers transcoding (I current use TVersity, as well as PlayOn). To support it, not only must it run on the OS, but I need something with a level of computer power that I just can't find in the NAS market.

I guess my first question to everyone is whether they think it's really even worth it to consider a PS3 as a viable extender? I do plan on building an HTPC in the future (and am likely getting a Popcorn Hour before then), but for the short term I was hoping to employ the PS3. Part of my problem is that I'm not entirely familiar with what the many alternatives really offer, so it's a bit difficult for me to make an informed choice. It boils down to do you people think it's worth having a server than can run stuff like TVersity and PlayOn (and SlimServer for audio) or should I just give up on that, and go with alternative extenders?

Related to this, can anyone actually confirm said software will run under WHS? They all are Windows-based, but I haven't received confirmation they work on WHS/Server2003.

I guess if the answer to either of the above questions is no, then maybe unRAID will fit my needs better but if not, then I will likely go with WHS, even though the lack of parity is a bit distressing.

Thanks in advance. I expect to have many questions while walking my path to building a server. Hopefully along the way, I'll also be able to contribute.
post #1187 of 7891 Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

@My two cents.

I am a computer guy so I use three HTPC in my house connecting to LCD TVs and projectors. I also use WHS for storing all DVD/BD movies and do backups for 8 PCs around the house. It has been working well.

The reason I like HTPC is that you can get as many as free software you want to build a multi-funcitonal environemnt for entertainment, gaming as well as web surfing.

The reason I like WHS is that I can use my knowledge for Windows to handle almost everything. I am not familiar with Unix and my work doesn't allow me to spend extra time to learn it. In addition, WHS satisfy my needs and handling it is very easy.
post #1188 of 7891 Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydeng View Post

I am a computer guy .......I also use WHS....

What is wrong with you!!!

Just kidding. WHS has its place just like any other product.
post #1189 of 7891 Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 AM

OK, so the boards being RMA'd.

I'm going to stick with the AMD Phenom, anyone have any recommendations for an AM2+ board with a decent PCIE implementation?
post #1190 of 7891 Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I purchased the Adaptec RAID 3085 card
http://adaptec.com/en-US/products/Co...alue/SAS-3085/

Off of Ebay to hook up 8 SATA Hard Drives inside my new Norco 4020 and upon receiving it realized that the connectors were 2 SFF-8088 external Connectors.

This was pure stupidity/not reading carefully on my part I'm wondering what my options are to use this card to connect SATA Drives? I notice in reading the specs more throughly that it Says up to 128 SATA devices using SAS expanders scalability.

Can someone enlighten me how I can best use this card to hook up SATA Drives? It seems like I need a SAS Expander that accepts an external SFF-8088 Input sitting in the same Chassis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently extremely frustrated with myself for purchasing an obvious incorrect item for my needs.

Thanks.

Edit:

I found this SAS Expander Chenbro CK12803 for around $230 but was unsure if it is compatible:

http://www.chenbro.com/CK%20Report/C...1_20081015.pdf

Under Supported SAS Raid Card it only lists LSI & Intel where I have the Adaptec. Is this only for the INTERNAL SAS Input port on this card? (#3 in the Manual Diagram)
Because it also has an External SFF-8088 Input from Host. Does that external input also have to be an LSI or Intel SAS Card or would my Adaptec work as it would be outputting via SFF-8088

Thanks for any clarity anyone could provide.
post #1191 of 7891 Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diet butcher View Post

Off of Ebay to hook up 8 SATA Hard Drives inside my new Norco 4020 and upon receiving it realized that the connectors were 2 SFF-8088 external Connectors.

This was pure stupidity/not reading carefully on my part I'm wondering what my options are to use this card to connect SATA Drives? I notice in reading the specs more throughly that it Says up to 128 SATA devices using SAS expanders scalability.

Can someone enlighten me how I can best use this card to hook up SATA Drives? It seems like I need a SAS Expander that accepts an external SFF-8088 Input sitting in the same Chassis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently extremely frustrated with myself for purchasing an obvious incorrect item for my needs.

Thanks.

Edit:

I found this SAS Expander Chenbro CK12803 for around $230 but was unsure if it is compatible:

http://www.chenbro.com/CK%20Report/C...1_20081015.pdf

Under Supported SAS Raid Card it only lists LSI & Intel where I have the Adaptec. Is this only for the INTERNAL SAS Input port on this card? (#3 in the Manual Diagram)
Because it also has an External SFF-8088 Input from Host. Does that external input also have to be an LSI or Intel SAS Card or would my Adaptec work as it would be outputting via SFF-8088

Thanks for any clarity anyone could provide.

Just as you expected, to hook up more than one drive per port you'll need an enclosure with SAS expanders. And, yes, it doesn't matter if it's internal or external ports. The Chenbro should work, but you should check with Adaptec on compatibility.

P.S. Adaptec was adding support for SATA muxes. You should check to see if they have a firmware upgrade for this board that adds support.
post #1192 of 7891 Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Guys, I am find lots of cheap SATA I 1/5Gb/s sata raid controllers. I guess I am trying to figure out if that is enough. If I use unraid, then it is certainly going to be enough, but if I end up doing a raid 5 or 6, what is the best performance I can expect from a sata I device? I am using it for a home file server.
post #1193 of 7891 Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Yes, ZFS "seems" to be a very very good solution as well, but it has it's drawbacks as well. And a lot of them.

I'm a media server newbie. Gotta couple of ReplayTV's that I stream to from my PC. But recently upped to a 61" HD screen and would like to upgrade the whole operation. Have several PC's in the house and was looking for a server solution that I could store my PC stuff and all my media. I figured I could use an OpenSolarix system running ZFS for the media, and setup a dedicated linux box to stream media and perform the backup functions.

Perhaps even using VirtualBox so that the Linux server would run on the same platform as the Solaris server.

Babysteps..., I figured a few terabytes to start with and liked the JBOD operational approach of ZFS combined with the relative data safety.

But I wanted to see what the 'big boys' were doing. I found this quote above about drawbacks with ZFS, but have not found a good source enumerating those drawbacks.

Could you please fill me in as to why you all seem to have shunned my approach?

Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise,

db
post #1194 of 7891 Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

I guess my first question to everyone is whether they think it's really even worth it to consider a PS3 as a viable extender? I do plan on building an HTPC in the future (and am likely getting a Popcorn Hour before then), but for the short term I was hoping to employ the PS3. Part of my problem is that I'm not entirely familiar with what the many alternatives really offer, so it's a bit difficult for me to make an informed choice. It boils down to do you people think it's worth having a server than can run stuff like TVersity and PlayOn (and SlimServer for audio) or should I just give up on that, and go with alternative extenders?

I'm running TVersity on Windows Server 2008 with Q6600 CPU overclocked to 3.0GHz. I have multiple 360 and PS3 that I use as extender and it works great. But if you plan on displaying a lot of h264 HD content in MKV container than the Popcorn Hour is much better. Since TVersity needs to transcode from MKV container you cannot troublefree pause for extended time, fast forward or rewind. All this you can do with a Popcorn Hour and that's why I have 2 of them also.

If you're only playing Xvid then you don't need much horse power either since TVersity won't have to transcode the video. I've had it running on an AMD X2 4800+ for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Related to this, can anyone actually confirm said software will run under WHS? They all are Windows-based, but I haven't received confirmation they work on WHS/Server2003.

I have had TVersity running on Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows Server 2008 so I cannot imagine why it shouldn't run on WHS.
post #1195 of 7891 Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Have you guys seen this MB with 12 SATA internal builit in and one external!
L1N64-SLI WS
Enthusiast "Megatasking"
- Support 2 AMD AthlonTM 64 FX Socket L1 (1207FX) CPU
- DDR2 800/667/533
- HT 2000/1600 MT/s
- Quad PCI-E Graphics

Specification
CPU

Support 2 AMD AthlonTM 64 FX Socket L1 (1207FX) CPU
- AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology
- AMD64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing
Chipset

NVIDIA nForce® 680a SLITM Chipset
Front Side Bus

2000/1600 MT/s
Memory

Dual channel memory architecture
- 4 x DIMM, max. 8GB, DDR2-800/667/533/400, ECC and non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Expansion Slots

4 x PCI Express x16 (at x16, x8, x16, x8)
1 x PCI-E x 1
1 x PCI 2.2
Scalable Link Interface (SLI™)

Support two identical NVIDIA SLI-Ready graphics cards
Storage

2 x NVIDIA MCP55PXE supports:
- 12 x SATA 3 Gb/s
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100
- NVIDIA MediaShield™ RAID: RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA drives
Silicon Image Sil3531 supports:
- eSATA 3Gb/s
Audio

ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming and Jack-Retasking
- Coaxial, Optical S/PDIF out on back I/O port
LAN

2 x Marvell 88E1116 PHY
- Gigabit LAN
- Firewall function
- Support Teaming functions
- Wake up from S5
USB 2.0

10 USB 2.0 ports
IEEE 1394a

VIA 6308P 1394 controller supports 2 x 1394a ports
ASUS Special Features - Performance

Hyper Path 3
ASUS C.P.R.
Adjustable FSB/DDR2 ratio. Fixed PCI/PCIe frequencies.
Precision Tweaker:
- vDIMM: 25-step DRAM voltage control
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125V increment
- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection): allowing FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
- PCIe x16 Frequency: allowing PCIe x16 frequency from 100MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment
ASUS Special Features - Thermal

8-Phase Power Design for each VRM
Q-Fan 2
ASUS Heat-pipe thermal solution
ASUS Special Features - Life

Multi-language BIOS
SATA on the Go
CrashFree BIOS 3
Back Panel I/O Ports

Parallel
8-channel Audio ports
1 x External SATA
2 x RJ45
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 x Optical + 1 x Coaxial S/PDIF Output
1 x PS/2 Mouses port
1 x PS/2 Keyboard port
Internal I/O Connectors

6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
8-pin ATX 2.0/1.1
1 x EZ-plug
Chassis intrusion connector
System panel connector
1 x IDE connector
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
12 x Serial ATA connectors
1 x Serial connector
CD audio in
2 x IEEE 1394a port
Front Panel Audio connector
2 x CPU / 4 x Chassis / 1 x Power / 3 x Heat-pipe Fan connectors
BIOS

8Mb AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.3
Manageability

WOL by PME, WOR by PME, PXE, AI NET2, Chass
post #1196 of 7891 Old 12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diet butcher View Post

All you need is the correct fanout cable from external SFF-8088 to SATA. Your card will work fine, you just got the external version rather than the more-appropriate internal connector for your Norco case.

You'll have two fanout cables looping from outside to inside, but otherwise will work fine.

Lifespeed
post #1197 of 7891 Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

All you need is the correct fanout cable from external SFF-8088 to SATA. Your card will work fine, you just got the external version rather than the more-appropriate internal connector for your Norco case.

You'll have two fanout cables looping from outside to inside, but otherwise will work fine.

Thanks for your response, I tried to find the cables you were referring to, but I couldn't, they don't seem to exist on the Adaptec list of cables?

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...es/cables/sas/

I did see SFF-8088 to eSATA cables, but since I want all my Hard Drives to be internal do I have any options other then an external SFF-8088 cable to a port multiplier in the same case? Has anyone used a SAS Expander with the Adaptec 3085 Card to any success?

Thanks.
post #1198 of 7891 Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
SFF-8088 to SATA fanout cable
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220306578955

I know nothing about the seller, the price seems high to me. It was the first cable that came up on ebay when I searched for "SFF-8088 SATA" and thus is only posted as an example of what I think you are looking for.

BTW, I believe that your focus on a SAS expander is misguided and if you do ultimately purchase one you will find that it just adds needless complexity for your application.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #1199 of 7891 Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowai View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap RAID card? I don't really need the performance of an ARECA card since I'm doing mostly reads off my array, but right now I'm transferring my movies from from my old RAID5 2TB array to a new RAID5 4TB array and the performance is pretty bad (SS attached). I am thinking about getting a HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 because I'm using esata enclosure and that seems like a good card in terms of price and hopefully be faster than what I am getting now....

I use the RocketRaid 2314 with a Norco enclosure. My write speed across my network is not much faster than your attachment. However, I have been very happy with the flawless performance over a year. That said, I have had no disk failures, so I have yet to put the 2314 to the real test.
post #1200 of 7891 Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

uhhh....Now that would be something highly debatable... The definition of "real" is very very subjective. If "real" implies, fast, scalable, feature rich, dependable, great software/driver/firmware support...etc etc, then there's quite a few cards that do not have an IOP onboard, but yet satisfy all those criteria. Are they not "real" RAID cards??

p.s. And sometimes they use "only" an x4 pci-e slot. Shame on them.

I said 'most' and I stand by what I said. I can think of only one card much-discussed on this thread that is claimed to have decent performance, but it appears many people have had a great deal of trouble getting it to work correctly in different motherboards.

Lifespeed
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page