Guide To Building A Media Storage Server - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Member
 
shurik_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTONM0UTHKING4 View Post

Thats reassuring. I thought dynamic disks was windows way of saying that you can swap dead drives, or make changes to the disks in the array if you had to. It sounds like the RAID controller hardware/software will handle expanding the arrays. I dont want to buy all 20 harddrives at the same time, I would rather just add to the existing array when i run out of room.

Do not forget to format partition with cluster size above default 4k. Otherwise you'll hit 16TB limit like I just did.
shurik_1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Newbie
 
AsmoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I'm actually in the middle of an experiment these days.... (as usual).

It basically emulates mounting an HDD directly onto your LAN as a block level device, and creates a SAN out of all your HDDs. Then your consumers can access these devices either natively as block level devices, or you can have a storage server that aggregates multiple block level volumes, and presents network shares to the downstream clients..

In theory this shouldn't be that difficult to do...but in practice...you'll be surprised...there's no such equipment. The research goes on...

It sounds like you're describing AoE (ATA over Ethernet)
AsmoB is offline  
post #1443 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
stevetoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your supermicro board (nice board btw!) will have an ICH9R. Just setup a simple R1 for Sata ports 0 & 1 and the rest is history. You'll never know it's there, until 1 of the drives fails and all you have to do is insert another drive and everything gets remirrored on the fly with no downtime. No need to connect a monitor, keybd, mouse to reimage.

---- thanks - I'll probably do the mirror for this build, but still like imaging recovery for going backward for software tanking.. Most of my recoveries have be software issue related not straight forward drive failure

I don't suggest to try to image the OS drive. It contains tombstones to your data (pointers of where each data file is located). Restoring an OS image with outdated/incorrect tombstones will cause issues. thats why I suggest the R1 for the OS.

---- It would be nice to have a robust imaging method that understood WHS and would basically rebuild the tombstones from the state of the existing storage pools. I would also like to be able to physically separate the drives for the primary storage partition (I beleive this is home of the storage database and tombstones) from the SYS partition.. This would allow recovery for user accounts, add-ins, driver state to a specific point in time

---- hopefully acronis will eventually see a market for a WHS aware imaging add-in etc.


no problem, synctoy or you can even run Acronis on WHS, it's Server 2003 after all. Just point to the shared folders within Acronis on the WHS server and set a destination share on your lan and automate the data backup. You're all set.

---- are you saying I can actually reinstall my Acronis Server 9 on WHS and use it??? Someone mentioned using Acronis Echo server with WHS. I'm hoping acronis will make a home consumer priced imager for WHS

---- the previous discussion of using VM environment under windows server 2008 like Hyper-V and running WHS in VM looked interesting, but I'm not sure I want to spent that much cash to play with that just now -- I do run a few VMware workstations on another machine under vista to give me a XP VM for some older tools that will not run on vista.

---- again thanks -- I dropped the order for the rest of the pieces tonight - cpu, memory, 8 port sata board, etc
stevetoney is offline  
post #1444 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

are you saying I can actually reinstall my Acronis Server 9 on WHS and use it??? Someone mentioned using Acronis Echo server with WHS. I'm hoping acronis will make a home consumer priced imager for WHS

Sure, as long as the Acronis version is compatible with Server 2003 it'll run just fine. But I should mention it should be used in the context of file based image backups (not OS imaging), which Acronis is also quite good at and bundles the backup in a nice browsable .tib container to your destination network share. Synctoy, rsync, robocopy all work fine as well. Lots of choices to experiment with.

All you have to remember is that the backup source should always point to the actual shares themselves and not the hidden underlying directories. You'll see what I mean when you set WHS up, it's actually quite simple.

Again WHS is really just server 2003 with an additional wrapper. You can run pretty much all 2003 services like DNS, DHCP, even a fax server if you want.

Quote:


---- again thanks -- I dropped the order for the rest of the pieces tonight - cpu, memory, 8 port sata board, etc

Cool, congrats ! You'll have a lot of fun with it. The nicest thing you'll appreciate is adding drives to expand the pool on the fly as you need them over time.
Today might be 3 x1TB drives, in 2-3 months a 2TB drive and so on.
MiBz is offline  
post #1445 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik_1 View Post

Do not forget to format partition with cluster size above default 4k. Otherwise you'll hit 16TB limit like I just did.

Thanks! Are there any implications to adjusting above the default 4k if i want to use RAID6 or expand past the 20TB mark when I reach that limit?
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1446 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydeng View Post

Mibz,

What is the reason you don't suggest using WHS folder duplication? I thought that is one of the most important feature WHS offers for redundancy.

I am using WHS with about 7 TB of photo, music and movies. If I don't use folder duplication, can I use another pool of drive to automatically make the redundancy? Certainly the goal is to make the recovery process as easy, as painless as possible once a drive fails.

There's nothing wrong with using WHS's built-in native folder duplication. It works fine. When Microsoft created WHS it was intended for the avg home user to understand. Just right click a folder share, select duplicate and it's done. An algorthym checks where data is stored and creates a shadow copy on another drive(s) of the same data.

But just like raid isn't a true backup, folder duplication isn't either.
You're still relying on the OS & system health for the backup.

If you're going to use the drive space anyways, why not connect either a DAS direct attached storage (like the unit I linked to earlier), or another system on the network via network share and create a true backup.

It's really a very simple process. You can use WHS's native backup tool or Synctoy (very good) to create automated backups of the data on your WHS shares.
The subsequent backups only update the changes after the initial backup so it's quite quick and efficient.

In this case even if 2 or 3 drives failed on the server, your motherboard died and you needed to rebuild ...whatever... you'd just resync the data from the backup before going to sleep and be good to go in the morning.
MiBz is offline  
post #1447 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmoB View Post

It sounds like you're describing AoE (ATA over Ethernet)

I was going to mention this, but then I thought better of it.
Sometimes people are more driven to develope something better when they think they created the concept altogether

Coraid, created AoE (ATA over Ethernet) and it's quite an interesting concept.

There was some interesting tests on AoE by Helsinki Tech University.
MiBz is offline  
post #1448 of 7891 Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Member
 
benogil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to add a couple of tidbits, there are instructions on the MS WHS forum for setting up GPT disks on WHS. The SageTV forum has a tutorial on converting the 4K clusters to 64K clusters, with an improvement in streaming.

Ben
benogil is offline  
post #1449 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Member
 
ndv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to add a few tidbits as well. I am getting the impression that the 48 drive guy (KOTONM0UTHKING4) wants to use 2 24 port sata cards and grow a single array using windows. if I am correct then....


NO NO NO NO NO

Don't do it!!

In order to get a single volume out of two raid controllers, you need to use software raid. I do not know of a single controller vendor that can handle raid controller spanning for single volumes. Next, windows software raid WILL NOT let you grow an array. Plus any non-server os cannot handle raid 5 without considerable tweaking. Even server os's can't handle raid 6. This is the exact reason for my concept of storage nodes that run linux mdadm which supports raid 6 and can expand arrays on the fly. Not to mention handle as many hotspares as you want.

I am curious to see this case of yours that can handle 48 drives and all the other pc parts as well. If you plan on snaking sata cables out the back and into 2 other norco cases then good luck. Very few have snaked cables out to 1 other norco case. Doing that limits your access to either case as well. Yes there have been some creative solutions but all have enormous, unnecessary risks involved. Aren't we taking enough just with this amount of storage? Why do we have to introduce more just because we are unwilling to learn something new?
ndv2 is offline  
post #1450 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeffreydeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

There's nothing wrong with using WHS's built-in native folder duplication. It works fine. When Microsoft created WHS it was intended for the avg home user to understand. Just right click a folder share, select duplicate and it's done. An algorthym checks where data is stored and creates a shadow copy on another drive(s) of the same data.

But just like raid isn't a true backup, folder duplication isn't either.
You're still relying on the OS & system health for the backup.

If you're going to use the drive space anyways, why not connect either a DAS direct attached storage (like the unit I linked to earlier), or another system on the network via network share and create a true backup.

It's really a very simple process. You can use WHS's native backup tool or Synctoy (very good) to create automated backups of the data on your WHS shares.
The subsequent backups only update the changes after the initial backup so it's quite quick and efficient.

In this case even if 2 or 3 drives failed on the server, your motherboard died and you needed to rebuild ...whatever... you'd just resync the data from the backup before going to sleep and be good to go in the morning.

I don't have much experience with both WHS native back nor Synctoy. Do I need to create a large volumn for using these two methods? Or it can figure out what drive to use if I specify a drive pool? I have 6 TB of media files in WHS drive pool.

Another question, do you know that I can use a seperate WHS to backup the main WHS? Any downside in doing that?
jeffreydeng is offline  
post #1451 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndv2 View Post

I want to add a few tidbits as well. I am getting the impression that the 48 drive guy (KOTONM0UTHKING4) wants to use 2 24 port sata cards and grow a single array using windows. if I am correct then....


NO NO NO NO NO

Don't do it!!

In order to get a single volume out of two raid controllers, you need to use software raid. I do not know of a single controller vendor that can handle raid controller spanning for single volumes. Next, windows software raid WILL NOT let you grow an array. Plus any non-server os cannot handle raid 5 without considerable tweaking. Even server os's can't handle raid 6. This is the exact reason for my concept of storage nodes that run linux mdadm which supports raid 6 and can expand arrays on the fly. Not to mention handle as many hotspares as you want.

I am curious to see this case of yours that can handle 48 drives and all the other pc parts as well. If you plan on snaking sata cables out the back and into 2 other norco cases then good luck. Very few have snaked cables out to 1 other norco case. Doing that limits your access to either case as well. Yes there have been some creative solutions but all have enormous, unnecessary risks involved. Aren't we taking enough just with this amount of storage? Why do we have to introduce more just because we are unwilling to learn something new?

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on using 2 separate controllers and each controller would be its own logical volume. I would not want to combine the two, and I am not interested in any type of software raid. So where does this leave me?

If i wanted to have 24 cards in RAID6, I couldnt do it with vista? Even if i purchase a controller that can handle RAID6? And I would have to purchase all 24 harddrives at the same time, and build the array because I wont be able to expand from 6 to 24 over time?

I thought that the workaround is using a RAID controller and its hardware/software to build arrays that are RAID6, and to expand from 6 drives to 24 drives overtime. This isnt possible?
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1452 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Newbie
 
Mael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm embarking on my server build and wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

First a little background on what this server will be used for.

I'm currently running a Windows XP box as a server that hosts my windows based home automation software (homeseer). I just finished building a HTPC and want to build out a server to host my media collection. In order to save on electricity, I would like to end up running only single server for both my media collection and my home automation software. Since I need to run Windows to support my home automation, unRaid is out

Here is my list of requirements thus far:
  1. Must be able to add additional disks (of different size and manufacturer) to the RAID array and expand the volume without reformatting
  2. RAID array must be able to survive the failure of a single disk
  3. Must run Windows
  4. Should be capable of running at least 1 or 2 Virtual Machines

Based on my requirements I plan on running Windows Server 2008 (I have access to an MSDN license) on the following hardware:

NORCO RPC-4020 $289
Corsair TX850W CMPSU-850TX $139
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $136
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core $189
Adaptec 2244100-R 5805 8-Channel SATA/SAS 512MB PCI-Express $548
G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ DDR2-1000 2 x 2GB Kit (2 kits for 8GB) $100
HIS Hightech H700H64-1TOPN Radeon 7000 64MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card $30
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA ($119 ea x 5) $595
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA $70
Sony NEC Optiarc Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA $36
18 Inch Slimline SATA Cable for Slim Drive CRX890S AD-7590S from *bay $5



I plan on plugging 4 of the 1TB drives into the Adaptec card and building a RAID 5 volume for my primary media storage. The 5th 1 TB drive will be plugged into one of the on board SATA ports and be a simple NTFS formatted drive used to back up my critical files (pictures, documents, etc) from the raid volume and my desktop machine. The OS will be installed on the 640GB drive.

Does anyone see any problems or issues with my proposed build?
Mael is offline  
post #1453 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:


In order to get a single volume out of two raid controllers, you need to use software raid. I do not know of a single controller vendor that can handle raid controller spanning for single volumes.

While this is true for "MOST" controllers...it's not true for all.... My Ciprico RAIDcore controllers easily span arrays across multiple controllers. The RAID stack handles it natively, Windows has nothing to do with it. I have 4 controllers right now in my main server, each with 8 ports, and I can certainly have a single array that spans all 32 drives.

Quote:


Next, windows software raid WILL NOT let you grow an array.

Yes and No. Windows software RAID will not let you grow a "RAID-5" array. You can certainly grow a simple striped or spanned array using diskpart.exe.

Quote:


Plus any non-server os cannot handle raid 5 without considerable tweaking.

Sort of. XP (with hacked Server 2003 DLLs) handles RAID-5 just fine, and if you have a hardware RAID card, then of course it can handle it just fine. Vista has (yet) not been hacked to support the DLLs from Server 2008 so, no software RAID-5 there.

Quote:


Even server os's can't handle raid 6.

Sure they can, if you have enough horsepower, the OS will happily do it. Linux does RAID-6 beautifully. Windows does lack there with no native RAID-6 support.

Quote:


If you plan on snaking sata cables out the back and into 2 other norco cases then good luck. Very few have snaked cables out to 1 other norco case.

Been there done that. All my drives sit outside the server chassis, in their own disk chassis' and the SATA cables snake out from the server chassis to the disk chassis'. No issues there. Been running rock solid like that for over 4 months (and I had the same setup before, ran flawlessly for over a year).

Quote:


If i wanted to have 24 cards in RAID6, I couldnt do it with vista? Even if i purchase a controller that can handle RAID6? And I would have to purchase all 24 harddrives at the same time, and build the array because I wont be able to expand from 6 to 24 over time?

If you have a hardware RAID controller, whether 24 or 9 or 64 or whatever number of ports, Vista or XP or 2003 or 2008 will happily play with it. If you have the 32 bit versions of the OS you may run into the 2TB limit for volumes, but with a 64 bit OS, it will happily mount any earthly sized array.

No, you do not need to buy all 24 disks at the same time. That's the whole point of a hardware RAID controller, and OCE (Online Capacity Expansion). You can certainly expand over time.

Quote:


I thought that the workaround is using a RAID controller and its hardware/software to build arrays that are RAID6, and to expand from 6 drives to 24 drives overtime. This isnt possible?

Absolutely correct, that's the whole point of a hardware controller.
kapone is online now  
post #1454 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so here is my build. I am getting closer to figuring this all out. Thanks everyone

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14262067

Any feedback will be greatly apprecaited. I am going to start with 6 drives in RAID6, and then add one harddrive at a time until all 20 hot swappable bays have been filled up.

Thanks!
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1455 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
miimura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTONM0UTHKING4 View Post

Ok, so here is my build. I am getting closer to figuring this all out. Thanks everyone

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14262067

Any feedback will be greatly apprecaited. I am going to start with 6 drives in RAID6, and then add one harddrive at a time until all 20 hot swappable bays have been filled up.

Thanks!

I see one obvious problem and have one suggestion.
1. The motherboard you chose has one PCIe x16 slot and one x16 physical slot with only x4 signals. Since it has onboard video, your RAID card can go in the x16 slot (hopefully without issue) but then you have no more x8 capable slots for another RAID card. You're the one who said you wanted to expand to TWO raid cards, right? Besides, using a $1,200 RAID card in a $86 motherboard doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not suggesting that you go cheaper on the RAID card, I'm suggesting you get a better motherboard.

2. Vista Ultimate Retail has both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) editions. If you know that you want the x64 edition, you can use the OEM edition and save ninety bucks.

- Mike
miimura is offline  
post #1456 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura View Post

I see one obvious problem and have one suggestion.
1. The motherboard you chose has one PCIe x16 slot and one x16 physical slot with only x4 signals. Since it has onboard video, your RAID card can go in the x16 slot (hopefully without issue) but then you have no more x8 capable slots for another RAID card. You're the one who said you wanted to expand to TWO raid cards, right? Besides, using a $1,200 RAID card in a $86 motherboard doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not suggesting that you go cheaper on the RAID card, I'm suggesting you get a better motherboard.

2. Vista Ultimate Retail has both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) editions. If you know that you want the x64 edition, you can use the OEM edition and save ninety bucks.

- Mike

Good catch. Thanks. Got any suggestions on a mother board that can do that? anyone? Ill keep looking, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew one off the top of their head
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1457 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura View Post

I see one obvious problem and have one suggestion.
1. The motherboard you chose has one PCIe x16 slot and one x16 physical slot with only x4 signals. Since it has onboard video, your RAID card can go in the x16 slot (hopefully without issue) but then you have no more x8 capable slots for another RAID card. You're the one who said you wanted to expand to TWO raid cards, right? Besides, using a $1,200 RAID card in a $86 motherboard doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not suggesting that you go cheaper on the RAID card, I'm suggesting you get a better motherboard.

2. Vista Ultimate Retail has both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) editions. If you know that you want the x64 edition, you can use the OEM edition and save ninety bucks.

- Mike

I am also not opposed to the idea of upgrading from 1tb harddrives to 2tb harddrives when they reach the $100 price point, but I dont think that is possible once the array is created without reformatting the entire array. Am I correct?
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1458 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTONM0UTHKING4 View Post

I am also not opposed to the idea of upgrading from 1tb harddrives to 2tb harddrives when they reach the $100 price point, but I dont think that is possible once the array is created without reformatting the entire array. Am I correct?

That's doable on some cards, I think, but it takes too much darned time. You have to replace each drive one by one, letting it rebuild the "failed" drive and finally, once all drives have been replaced, you do an online capacity expansion.
ilovejedd is online now  
post #1459 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

That's doable on some cards, I think, but it takes too much darned time. You have to replace each drive one by one, letting it rebuild the "failed" drive and finally, once all drives have been replaced, you do an online capacity expansion.

But it sounds like i have to follow the same process even if a drive fails... except for the online capacity expansion?
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1460 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

I'm embarking on my server build and wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

First a little background on what this server will be used for.

I'm currently running a Windows XP box as a server that hosts my windows based home automation software (homeseer). I just finished building a HTPC and want to build out a server to host my media collection. In order to save on electricity, I would like to end up running only single server for both my media collection and my home automation software. Since I need to run Windows to support my home automation, unRaid is out

Here is my list of requirements thus far:
  1. Must be able to add additional disks (of different size and manufacturer) to the RAID array and expand the volume without reformatting
  2. RAID array must be able to survive the failure of a single disk
  3. Must run Windows
  4. Should be capable of running at least 1 or 2 Virtual Machines

Based on my requirements I plan on running Windows Server 2008 (I have access to an MSDN license) on the following hardware:

NORCO RPC-4020 $289
Corsair TX850W CMPSU-850TX $139
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $136
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core $189
Adaptec 2244100-R 5805 8-Channel SATA/SAS 512MB PCI-Express $548
G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ DDR2-1000 2 x 2GB Kit (2 kits for 8GB) $100
HIS Hightech H700H64-1TOPN Radeon 7000 64MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card $30
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA ($119 ea x 5) $595
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA $70
Sony NEC Optiarc Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA $36
18 Inch Slimline SATA Cable for Slim Drive CRX890S AD-7590S from *bay $5



I plan on plugging 4 of the 1TB drives into the Adaptec card and building a RAID 5 volume for my primary media storage. The 5th 1 TB drive will be plugged into one of the on board SATA ports and be a simple NTFS formatted drive used to back up my critical files (pictures, documents, etc) from the raid volume and my desktop machine. The OS will be installed on the 640GB drive.

Does anyone see any problems or issues with my proposed build?

First thing i noticed is that you dont have onboard video, and i dont see a video card in your component list. You might want that.
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1461 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTONM0UTHKING4 View Post

First thing i noticed is that you dont have onboard video, and i dont see a video card in your component list. You might want that.

You might want to read it again.
ilovejedd is online now  
post #1462 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

You might want to read it again.

*sigh*
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1463 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Newbie
 
Mael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah I couldn't find a motherboard I wanted with integrated video that didn't cost a lot more.

Actually after doing some more digging, I had to swap out the Video Card for a different model. There aren't any 64bit Radeon 7000 drivers so I swapped it with this...

EVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card $35
Mael is offline  
post #1464 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Member
 
alamone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

Adaptec 2244100-R 5805 8-Channel SATA/SAS 512MB PCI-Express $548

Does anyone see any problems or issues with my proposed build?

That's basically my gripe with the build. I have an Adaptec 51645 and a 31605 so I think I have some authority to speak on this matter.

If you're planning to use the Online Expansion / Migration feature, it's a joke. You can easily add another drive to an areca card and have the migration done in a *day*. On an Adaptec, it can take easily over a week, and in my case the data ended up silently corrupted.

The drivers are very flaky as well. I have a thread on [H] describing my problems as well. Since you're using server 2008, you might run into the same problems, since I'm running vista.

Since you're using WD 1TB drives, you won't have any problems for drive compatibility, but be warned the 1.5TB seagates don't seem to work properly, and some have reported very large arrays don't seem to be detected properly (double digit terabytes).

Quite frankly I think the Adaptec cards were aimed for low capacity SAS drives rather than high capacity SATA drives. I get good performance from my dual-ported SAS drives but uneven performance with SATA arrays.

I think you're better off getting an Areca SATA-only controller (12xxML series). Besides, the card you're considering only supports 8 ports.

Any reason you've decided on Adaptec in particular?
alamone is offline  
post #1465 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
stevetoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

Cool, congrats ! You'll have a lot of fun with it. The nicest thing you'll appreciate is adding drives to expand the pool on the fly as you need them over time.
Today might be 3 x1TB drives, in 2-3 months a 2TB drive and so on.

I broke down and ordered up a new subscription to TECHNET so I could play with the new OS'es out since my last MSDN/TECHNET days four or so years ago

So I going to try the play/learn with windows 2008 with HyperV and have VM with WHS, and prehaps some others

I have a good supermicro case and supermicro MB with 2 xeons and 8gigs of memory so I shoul be able to play with mulitple VM's

I'll have a enough internal drive slots for learning for a while, before adding in an external case of drives

so after a few years of a break - I'm back to some session play and learning on the new stuff..

My current primary server is just a rock solid windows 2003 box with hardware raid card and 24 drives (20 of these on two hardware 3ware card) -- I have repeatedly swapped out drives on this server over the years and expand the raids and rebuild arrays for upping the size and number of drives.

it will remain is use as the primary box as a learn on the new stuff..

doing my bit to stimulate the economy...
stevetoney is offline  
post #1466 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTONM0UTHKING4 View Post

Ok, so here is my build. I am getting closer to figuring this all out. Thanks everyone

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14262067

Any feedback will be greatly apprecaited. I am going to start with 6 drives in RAID6, and then add one harddrive at a time until all 20 hot swappable bays have been filled up.

Thanks!


I wasn't going to say anything because if I do it might offend a few others leading you down this path, at the same time if I don't say anything it's just plain wrong.

Anyways, I think you're making a huge mistake taking the advice you were given without fully understanding the limitations and risks, especially for spending $3000 just to get started.

But if you do decide to follow it just the same, seems no one mentioned that you also need at least a BBU for the raid card and at a least another hot or cold spare drive for the array.

p.s. what's your plan for data backups ?
MiBz is offline  
post #1467 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MiBz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

I broke down and ordered up a new subscription to TECHNET so I could play with the new OS'es out since my last MSDN/TECHNET days four or so years ago

So I going to try the play/learn with windows 2008 with HyperV and have VM with WHS, and prehaps some others

This exactly how I have WHS setup in a VM as well, with the drives in direct passthru. It works incredibly well! You'd never know it was a VM. Net transfers are giving me 110MB/s.

Great choice. The technet sub is also terrific. btw WHS is expected to be available on technet before end of this month.
Win7 Beta was added just a few days ago I think. I hope to load it up in a VM sometime over the week-end if I can find the time
MiBz is offline  
post #1468 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
stevetoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

This exactly how I have WHS setup in a VM as well, with the drives in direct passthru. It works incredibly well! You'd never know it was a VM. Net transfers are giving me 110MB/s.

Great choice. The technet sub is also terrific. btw WHS is expected to be available on technet before end of this month.
Win7 Beta was added just a few days ago I think. I hope to load it up in a VM sometime over the week-end if I can find the time

Let me know how it work with win7 in a VM

I already have a copy WHS I bought a few months and just now getting around to loading it..

Likely be a busy weekend after all the pieces get here..
stevetoney is offline  
post #1469 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

I wasn't going to say anything because if I do it might offend a few others leading you down this path, at the same time if I don't say anything it's just plain wrong.

Anyways, I think you're making a huge mistake taking the advice you were given without fully understanding the limitations and risks, especially for spending $3000 just to get started.

But if you do decide to follow it just the same, seems no one mentioned that you also need at least a BBU for the raid card and at a least another hot or cold spare drive for the array.

p.s. what's your plan for data backups ?

MiBz,

I am not that close to pullling the trigger. I posted the wishlist so that everyone would give feedback. I dont doubt that i can build this, but I am making sure that the community is involved with my decision. As you can tell, I do not know everything, but I do appreciate everyones help.

This BBU is in my sights: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16816151019

Also i was going to use Norton Ghost 14 for backing up, but i have no idea how large a 20tb image will be... so I need to figure that out.

Please dont hold back. Let me know what you think of this setup.
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
post #1470 of 7891 Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Member
 
KOTONM0UTHKING4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura View Post

I see one obvious problem and have one suggestion.
1. The motherboard you chose has one PCIe x16 slot and one x16 physical slot with only x4 signals. Since it has onboard video, your RAID card can go in the x16 slot (hopefully without issue) but then you have no more x8 capable slots for another RAID card. You're the one who said you wanted to expand to TWO raid cards, right? Besides, using a $1,200 RAID card in a $86 motherboard doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not suggesting that you go cheaper on the RAID card, I'm suggesting you get a better motherboard.

2. Vista Ultimate Retail has both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) editions. If you know that you want the x64 edition, you can use the OEM edition and save ninety bucks.

- Mike


I have updated my wishlist with a second motherboard. Will the more expensive motherboard be able to support two of those controller cards? I feel like it will:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14262067
KOTONM0UTHKING4 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off