Intel CIR headers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have two Intel boards (DP35DP, DG33TL) with CIR headers and went ahead and purchased the IR module that integrates with them. The documentation says that the Winbond chip is capable of receiving, emitting, and learning... my question is how, is their a software interface that takes commands? Is it only compatible with a MCE remote? how do you make IR commands for it? Any help would be appreciated! hopefully someone has tinkered with it... I have a Media Keyboard from MS, and the Philips RC197 MCE remote that came with my Omaura IR kit, and a Universal Remote MX-850with MCE commands programmed into it. (which doesnt work for some odd reason)... (thats why I am using the CIR headers instead)... is there a good website to learn about this stuff? I goggle it and not much come up about CIR headers, archebeal do you have any good info on this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

afternoon bump
post #3 of 23 Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 View Post

So I have two Intel boards (DP35DP, DG33TL) with CIR headers and went ahead and purchased the IR module that integrates with them. The documentation says that the Winbond chip is capable of receiving, emitting, and learning... my question is how, is their a software interface that takes commands? Is it only compatible with a MCE remote? how do you make IR commands for it? Any help would be appreciated! hopefully someone has tinkered with it... I have a Media Keyboard from MS, and the Philips RC197 MCE remote that came with my Omaura IR kit, and a Universal Remote MX-850with MCE commands programmed into it. (which doesnt work for some odd reason)... (thats why I am using the CIR headers instead)... is there a good website to learn about this stuff? I goggle it and not much come up about CIR headers, archebeal do you have any good info on this stuff?

afaik, the IR port/chip is simply capable of operating like a serial port, sending and receiving data. You still need software that will send commands or listen and interpret the commands.

I don't think the driver is set up on your computer to receive the commands. If you were using an MCE remote (or another combo), the receiver would be auto-detected via USB and the driver automatically loaded. In this case, what was installed was probably some low level IR driver that doesn't do much but allow APIs to use it. So, you just need the software. Take a look at Girder, that's the only windows prog that I know of. Not sure of web site.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

So the CIR headers work out of the box with MCE remotes... extremely well too... I can power the computer on via remote and control MCE entirely... I think I will try Girder to see if I can do macro's or program PowerDVD for HD DVD/BluRay to automatically start via a button press...

The onlt hing is I get a blue screen saying "Driver power state failure" When it is suspended (via shutting off with power button on remote) Is this a Vista Power settings issue?
post #5 of 23 Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

How did you manage to take advantage of the CIR headers? Did you use the (seemingly) one available device from meritline? If so, is the IR back panel bracket low profile?

For something that has been in intel products for such a long time already, im surprised there is no better solution yet.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I can't remember where I ordered it from , there is only like 3 places, and I ordered it along time ago... but the rear IR bracket isn't low profile...
post #7 of 23 Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 23 Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM

They don't have it in stock anymore, do anyone else knows where else to buy it?
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post

They don't have it in stock anymore, do anyone else knows where else to buy it?

Also looking for this or other CIR solution I can integrate into my new build. I really only care about basic IR remote functions, don't need learning or IR emiters.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... no responses on this thread or the other thread related to the Infrared CIR header?

I asked the reseller, distributor, and manufacture if they will be stocking these or providing an alternate way to purchase and have not received any response. It seems imposible to actually purchase a CIR device to plug into the CIR header on a motherboard.

I am now considering building a CIR transceiver. There is a little information from Microsoft here. If others have some experience or information that would help please post it.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM

I see I would like to buy one of this devices pre-assembled if not I think I will end buying an USB dongle.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

Hmm... no responses on this thread or the other thread related to the Infrared CIR header?

I asked the reseller, distributor, and manufacture if they will be stocking these or providing an alternate way to purchase and have not received any response. It seems imposible to actually purchase a CIR device to plug into the CIR header on a motherboard.

I am now considering building a CIR transceiver. There is a little information from Microsoft here. If others have some experience or information that would help please post it.

I posted on this over in the DG45FC forum.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Just came across this thread so thought I'd post my info here instead of in the DG45FC thread.

So I'm trying to get my CIR receiver working. I laid it all out on a breadboard but when I plug it into my DG45FC I loss all video, no bios video, no console video, no Xorg video. I'm running HDMI out directly to a TV.

Here are the parts I'm using:
This is the capacitor I'm using:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062393

Put the longer lead on the 5V line, and the shorter lead on the GND line.

And the resistor:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062339

Put the red band towards the 5V pin and the gold band on the capacitor side.

Is that correct?
LL
post #14 of 23 Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw a couple of people in other threads looking for CIR solutions so I figured it is better to direct them to this thread.

Anyone get the build-your-own CIR working? Or find a commercial product that is available to purchase?

Note there is additional discussion in this older thread.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM

You can now buy a CIR Receiver with a cable to attach to your CIR header. It comes with or without an MCE Remote for around $20 on EBay. This unit is for internal mounting and it is very small. It has been tested on Vista and W7 and works great using the "winbond" driver at the Intel download site.

Go to EBay and do a search for "CIR Receiver"
post #16 of 23 Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Seems a bit expensive. and the wait is quite a few months until it will arrive, there must be others surely.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM

I know I'm responding to an ancient thread, but I just bought my Intel CIR header here:

http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-i...-receiver.aspx
post #18 of 23 Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Those reading this thread have you tried or considered the Antec IR receiver? It taps into your PSU power supply so you can turn on your PC via remote from off.

post #19 of 23 Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM

I think the Intel CIR header can also wake the system from S5 (soft off) and S3 (suspend). I can't confirm yet since my system isn't set up.

http://www.missingremote.com/review/...tx-motherboard

"includes a feature not supported by the standard USB receivers - wake from off (S5) and hibernate (S4) in addition to standby (S3)"
post #20 of 23 Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpbotmcfly View Post

I know I'm responding to an ancient thread, but I just bought my Intel CIR header here:

Nice! I just picked up 2 of these. Hooked up one to my gentoo amd64 DG45FC mobo. But I can't get the winbond-cir driver to load without error. CIR is enabled in my bios. I'm on kernel 2.6.38.3 and I get the following in dmesg after modprobe:

Code:
Registered led device: cir::activity
Winbond CIR 00:04: disabled
Winbond CIR: probe of 00:04 failed with error -22
Does anyone have any experience setting up CIR in linux? I've posted to the LIRC mailing list, but no replies. Not sure if that was the best place to post.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpbotmcfly View Post

This looks like the person thats selling them on ebay. The pictures are the same
post #22 of 23 Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Anyone know if the ebay receiver will work on non-ASRock MBs? I have a Biostar B75MU3+ with a header and I'd like to try this but don't want to spend $25 to find out it doesn't work. I'd think the drivers would work as this is an intel feature but want to be sure. Has anyone used this thing? How's it do with Harmony remotes (specifically the "One")?
post #23 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm answering my own post for anyone interested. The shop.inteset.com device will NOT work with a Biostar board. The company's plug is for 8-pin headers and the Biostar board has 6. Luckily, I found a much cheaper option as Biostar makes their own IR remote that matches their header. It's cheap (only $9) and, according to a reviewer on Newegg, programmable with Harmony remotes. Not sure about wake from sleep functions. I'm guessing yes.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page