Improve quality of standard def on Vista Media Center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it in half an hour of search, so I thought I'd start a thread with a to the point name.
My standard def quality in media center is awful. It comes out most when watching sports. There is awful ghosting and gross deinterlacing aftifacts (looks like heat distortion like you see on roads in the summer, plus objects don't move together when there's camera shake.) My TV isn't great for time response, but I know it's not this bad (sometimes I'll see 4+ frames of ghost.) DVD, Hi def and gaming output look fine.
My tuner card is an old Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. Might that be the problem? I'm perfectly willing to spend the few bucks to get a modern tuner card if that's the problem.
Other pertinent specs are Vist Home Premium 32, Radeon HD4850 (I've seen the same performance on X700 and 7600GT as well,) and a 768p (1366x768) LCD. I have the problem using both DVI and VGA (at 720p, the TV doesn't support 768p over VGA.)

Are there any simple fixes for this, or is it something inherent to low-res interlaced TV that is causing the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The WinTV PVR-150 is terrible for standard definition. I noticed that Nvidia Graphics cards seem to clean up std def from the PVR-150 much better than ATI (for whatever reason).

I upgraded my old PVR150 a long time ago to the Nvidia DualTV and saw a noticable increase in std def quality. That card is no longer available though. I hear the ATI Theatre Pro 550 & 650 are great cards for std def.

Do some research on the net. These cards do get reviewed from time-to-time.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I suggest that you use the Hauppauge WinTV application without timeshifting enabled. this will avoid having the TV program being compressed and encoded for input to MC and then having to have it decoded back again.
Yes the upscaling of the 480i input to 1366x768 does cause PQ problems since all of the additional pixels in the have to be invented.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page