htpc ong distance away from screen and usb devices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heya -- was just looking into the possibilities to have the HTPC some distance away from the place where the screen and interaction devices would be. Now, just googling this stuff quickly it seem that both DVI and USB cables are quite limited and cant rally be used more than 5 meters away or such.

Has anyone made a setup where the HTPC might be 100 meters away (cable length) or such? How would one go about doing such? Is there noticable lag as USB (keyboard, mouse) signals travel to the HTPC and then "back" through the DVI cable?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definitely possible. I have mine setup that way now. However...100 meters is a long ways away. Mine is currently about 35 feet away. You can get HDMI/DVI cables up to 100-150 feet or so (might need an active repeater/extension). I have my USB using 2 15 foot active repeater cables. However...you can only daisy chain so many usb active repeaters, so if you have to go a real long distance then you'd be better off getting a USB extender via cat5. You can get usb 1.1 extended a long ways with cat5 for 40 bucks or less. If you need usb 2.0...I think you still can, but it gets quite a bit more spendy for the extender.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Short answer...yes you can do it. You can easily and fairly cheaply do distances of 50 feet or less. If you need longer distances 100+ feet...you can still do it, but it starts to get spendy.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The active extenders are basically like powered USB hubs, kinda-sorta?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have used passive USB Extenders that use CAT 5 cable up to 50 feet without any problem (latency or otherwise).

Take a look at this site - while not the exact model I used, it is representative.

http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page