Video Input at >60Hz over HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get to the reality of inputting at >60 Hz over HDMI. I know that most LCDs on the market can't handle this... but I just think Panasonic TH-42PZ80U plasma might be capable of handling something over 60 Hz.

The specs on my plasma state an internal refresh rate of 480 Hz. This means that any number of even multipliers could be used for various refresh rates without rendering judder. e.g. 80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz. Obviously 80 Hz wouldn't be useful for video content, but for games it would be great.

Now, I'd be prepared that the internal refresh rate is strictly that... but when I probed the display configuration options, and the display was reporting it could handle up to a 330 MHz pixel clock. That's high enough to drive the display at 1080p 120 Hz easily.

However, I've not been able to get any settings above 60 Hz to work, but there's a pretty innumerable number of low-level configuration options. Anybody have ideas on what might work? Or confirmation as to why >60 Hz isn't going to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 127
According to the manual it won't accept anything but 24 or 60Hz input.

See page 42:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TH42PZ80U.PDF

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think pixel clock and refresh rate are the same thing.

I had the same thought though a few days ago. Is it even possible in the HDMI spec to send anything above 60hz? It seems to me that cables that can send 1080p60 would show artifacts at a higher refresh rate. I wonder if there is even an HDMI controller that would have bandwidth for anything higher.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post

I don't think pixel clock and refresh rate are the same thing.

Yup, pixel clock is actually a combination of resolution and refresh rate, actually it's the product of horizontal and vertical resolution (plus their inactive "porch" areas) and refresh rate.

Quote:

I had the same thought though a few days ago. Is it even possible in the HDMI spec to send anything above 60hz? It seems to me that cables that can send 1080p60 would show artifacts at a higher refresh rate. I wonder if there is even an HDMI controller that would have bandwidth for anything higher.

HDMI <= 1.2 support a 165Megapixels/sec (same as pixel clock AFAIK), so basically no, HDMI <= 1.2 doesn't support 1080p at more than 60Hz, 1080p60 is about as high as you can go without resorting to dual-link (which no display to speak of support) or HDMI 1.3, which no video cards support.

And then there's the fact that most TVs just plain don't accept anything above 60Hz, or at least won't "lock" to anything above that.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page