post #271 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Ok, so I ordered this board without reading too much info on it other than hearing the 9300 chipset "just worked" for media and most importantly 24p. I wanted that badly.....

Now, I'm a little nervous about the potential heat problem. I have a Antec Fusion 430 black case. It has two 120mm fans sucking/blowing (not sure at the moment) that are on the right side of the case, just to the side of the motherboard. With no other cards plugged in, do you guys think that will be enough. I have them set on Low now for no noise, but there is a medium and high setting.

Does anyone here have an Antec Fusion 430 case and this motherboard? If so, I'd like to know if it had any problems. Temps don't scare me..locking up systems does .

I currently have an Asus P5E HDMI-VM without any problems related to heat. If no one else responds to this, I'll come back and let you all know how it went. My motherboard is coming tomorrow.

-Brian

I got one of these cases to hold me over until the Origen S16s are available. I was pleasantly surprised with the 430 and it is a good match with this board. I also have a mini ninja and the CPU fan covers most of the NB heatsink. It is blowing quiet a bit of air but most of it is away from the NB and doesn't appear to have any direct effect on it other than the overall air circulation in the case is very good. I have the 120mm fans on low. My temps using the latest version if Speedfan are GPU - 55, System - 36, and CPU (Q9550) - 32. I saw the GPU spike to 58 one time in the several hours of monitoring. Those readings are when playing a BD off of my local BD drive, remuxing a file and copying 30-40GB files to my media server simultaneously. Someone else, a while back, reported good results with this board/case combo. Do a check on this thread or the 9300/9400 thread. I also had a P5E HDMI-VM earlier but didn't monitor the temps closely so I can't give you a comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

FYI - Do not use CPU-Z or any hardware monitor programs until later releases supporting the 9300/9400. It gives inaccurate results for memory, bus speeds, etc. I would advise you use nVidia's System Tools:

htt*://***.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

It works great and gives the correct bus speeds, memory timings, as well as GPU overclocking options.

can you confirm that the ram can be unlinked from the fsb frequency?

(edit) confirmed! running 12,5x300 and ram unlinked at 400mhz
post #273 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad78 View Post

can you confirm that the ram can be unlinked from the fsb frequency?

(edit) confirmed! running 12,5x300 and ram unlinked at 400mhz

Yes, I was using CPU-Z before and checking FSB:Mem ratio and thought it could only do 1:1. After downloading the nVidia System Tools, found out i was actually running 5:6 FSB: Mem so FSB is around 363 and Mem at 438 or so.
post #274 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone here have an Antec Fusion 430 case and this motherboard? If so, I'd like to know if it had any problems. Temps don't scare me..locking up systems does .

-Brian

FWIW - I had run a 48 hour continuous RAID backup, and ran BD playback concurrently with no issues in a fully passive configuration for the MCP7A (booting though was another issues altogether). However, after reading more on the heat issues from the reviews, I would recommend something blowing on or across the chipset (even if mildly). The stock HSF on the MCP7A that Asus utilizes is surprisingly efficient. Even the slightest amount of air across it cools it significantly so that you could touch it. Since you Antec Fusion 430 has 2 120mm crossflow configuration across the Mobo, you should be fine. Let us know how it works.
post #275 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildenman View Post

Replying to myself pretty sad. Perhaps it might help someone tho:

Sorry, I just re-read your other post where you already answered that question. The only fans in your case are 80mm and PSU. So no fan on NB or CPU.
Well that's more airflow than I have on the bench. That cannot be ruled out.
I think this is closely related to workload. After 15mins or so running memtest86+, my NB heatsink is too hot to touch.
However, I've just been running 3hrs of high prioirity orthos and the NB heatsink is just warm to touch.
Is yours still just warm during memtest?
Cheers.

No, I have a CPU fan, but I don't think it's contributing much to cooling the NB heatsink.

But it's interesting that you found NB chipset temperature to vary greatly depending on your task. It only makes sense. I have not run any bench marks, so I have no idea if the chipset gets hot during memtest. All I know is during my Windows XP installation and setup (prob over an hour), I had the case open and chipset heatsink was barely warm to touch.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #276 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

You need to disable Realtek driver in device manager for HDMI audio with Windows XP. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling NVidia HDMI driver after disabling Realtek audio driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledr View Post

Maybe I can help you get video via the 805. I have the 805 as well, but I am running Vista 32. I can get video via HDMI to my 805 and then to my TV but no audio via HDMI only via OPTICAL. . . .

Right now I can't get HDMI audio out at all. Might be a bad HDMI audio port. I hope that helps if you never set up your computer to receiver before.

Thanks fellas. As I mentioned, I don't have an HDCP compliant display. I was going HDMI into the Onkyo 805 receiver praying it would output 720p component to my TV. No such luck. Wasted a day and then went to my Dad's. He has an Onkyo 605 connected by HDMI to a Sharp Aquos. PC --> HDMI --> receiver --> HDMI --> HDCP TV worked immediately! No issues.

Fiddled with FFD AC3 filter settings for a while longer but didn't enable sound. Then disabled Realtek as suggested and presto! 5.1 surround by HDMI!

EDIT - after rebooting, Windows XP won't recognize the audio device!!! Even though the nVidia High Def Audio driver is in place, the audio playback device is grayed out and there's no volume control. Back to the lab . . .

Bottom line - you won't get HDMI audio playback from your receiver without an HDCP-compliant display. What a major pain in the a$$! I'd love to shoot each one of those HDCP committee members in the balls for all their trouble on the unsuspecting public!

SECOND UPDATE - OK folks this is to close the loop on my question about sound drivers without an HDCP TV. Well I concluded you cannot get the receiver audio to work across HDMI without an HDCP compatible display device at the end of the chain. Stupid but true.

I bought a Panasonic 46" PZ80 last night and had the whole HDMI chain working in less than 45 minutes. I disabled the Realtek HD audio device and left the nVidia High Definition Audio device enabled. HDMI 5.1 sound output and HDMI 1080p video. Very little meddling required after an HDCP device was plugged into the receiver. It re-boots properly when HDMI / HDCP loop is closed. I think the HDMI audio cuts out when I shut the TV off, too, but I will confirm this to cement my conclusion.

Trying to get HDMI audio without an HDCP video display is a waste of time with Onkyo receivers. You will need a proper HDCP display if you need to use HDMI!!!
post #277 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Just ordered one of these from newegg along with the e5200 cpu and 2 gigs of ram. I already have a HD and case/ps.

I just want stutter free .mkv's, and not to concerned about what level of surround sound is coming out as long as its some sort of surround.

This forum has been really educational and sure I'm not the only one it's helped to make the decision to buy one of these.

now on to build my whs box...
post #278 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildenman View Post

Which cpu cooler(s)?
Certain designs remove a lot of heat from the NB heatsink. Others none at all.
Cheers.

Hiper HFA-10828-C2 CPU Cooler
post #279 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Krazylegs View Post

Second problem I have is a little noise on bluray playback. You can only see it close up on sky / mountains that kind of thing. Does anyone else have this?

Are you sure it's not grain or encoding artifacts?
post #280 of 1124 Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtb_dave View Post

Thanks fellas. As I mentioned, I don't have an HDCP compliant display. I was going HDMI into the Onkyo 805 receiver praying it would output 720p component to my TV. No such luck. Wasted a day and then went to my Dad's. He has an Onkyo 605 connected by HDMI to a Sharp Aquos. PC --> HDMI --> receiver --> HDMI --> HDCP TV worked immediately! No issues.

Fiddled with FFD AC3 filter settings for a while longer but didn't enable sound. Then disabled Realtek as suggested and presto! 5.1 surround by HDMI!

EDIT - after rebooting, Windows XP won't recognize the audio device!!! Even though the nVidia High Def Audio driver is in place, the audio playback device is grayed out and there's no volume control. Back to the lab . . .

Bottom line - you won't get HDMI audio playback from your receiver without an HDCP-compliant display. What a major pain in the a$$! I'd love to shoot each one of those HDCP committee members in the balls for all their trouble on the unsuspecting public!

Try ANYDVD HD : http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html . It will enable you to bypass HDCP compliancy.
post #281 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Are you sure it's not grain or encoding artifacts?

It may well be. How can I tell and how can I get rid of it if so? I am using TMT at the moment but have powerdvd as well. Would like to stay TMT if possible due to the integration.

In case it helps anyone, solved the HDMI audio issues - it was a quirk with my amp where it lets you assign the HDMI inputs (eg to Video1) but it seems it does NOT reroute the HDMI audio! Unfortunately the excessive tweaking and a system restore have already broken Vista so its a reinstall for me I would say for anyone who has issues, if the audio is showing up in the mixer but nothing through your amp, its an amp issue.
post #282 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Hello.

I am about to pull the trigger on this MB but I have a question. I am planning to hook it up directly to a TH-42PX80U through HDMI only, no other monitor.
I think I read conflicting answers. Will the MB boot and everything show up OK or do I have to have an external monitor (VGA)? If not, will getting a separate video card fix this?

Thanks.
post #283 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM

I think it depends on the TV. Ive never used a monitor with mine just used my sony TV from the getgo with HDMI connection. Havent tried it with any of my other TV's though.
post #284 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 AM

If anyone has it, could someone try the new Indiana Jones bluray title and let me know how grainy the sky and mountains look to you in the first chapter please? Trying to work out if this is film grain or my setup.

Thanks
post #285 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM

I just recieved my 2. P5N7A-VM -board today - the 1. one being defective, auto-shutting because of chipset heat issues... Well, the new one does the exact same thing. I boot the PC into BIOS and let it run for some time looking at the MB temperature. When the MB temp gets to 39 degrees celsius, the PC shuts down shortly after ... my BIOS is version 02.61 - can u guys plz tell what BIOS version ur boards came with? Im asking cause I want to identify if its just the shipment that my boards came from that is faulty (could be early boards - ive bought both boards from the same web-shop, and undoubtebly they are from the same shipment - both have same BIOS version - 02.61).

Another question - do u think that upgrading the BIOS to 0404 will solve the issues? (I dont)...
post #286 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:

-Brian

I just finished installing this board into a Antec Fusion Black Remote case and temps stay very low. Around 95f. It's my understanding that it's the same case you mentioned but doesn't come with a PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129054
It's a fantastic looking case and the 2 12cm fans are set to low speed.
The only thing that I don't like about the case is the LCD display backlight is very bright even with the contrast set to the lowest setting. Anyone know of a way to correct the backlight?
post #287 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM

when u say temps - are u talking about the BIOS "MB" temp?
post #288 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m104 View Post

I just recieved my 2. P5N7A-VM -board today - the 1. one being defective, auto-shutting because of chipset heat issues... Well, the new one does the exact same thing. I boot the PC into BIOS and let it run for some time looking at the MB temperature. When the MB temp gets to 39 degrees celsius, the PC shuts down shortly after ... my BIOS is version 02.61 - can u guys plz tell what BIOS version ur boards came with? Im asking cause I want to identify if its just the shipment that my boards came from that is faulty (could be early boards - ive bought both boards from the same web-shop, and undoubtebly they are from the same shipment - both have same BIOS version - 02.61).

Another question - do u think that upgrading the BIOS to 0404 will solve the issues? (I dont)...

Please elaborate on what "auto-shutting" means. I noticed if I am in the HW Monitoring section of the BIOS, my system becomes very slow and unresponsive appearing as though it locked up. But if you wait long enough, it's fine. Just another early BIOS quirk....
post #289 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I would definitely try a BIOS upgrade, it seems weird for a just released board that you have such a different BIOS version. ASUS version numbering may be somewhat arbitrary though, and 2.61 could have been the version before 0404 which seems what most people's boards come with.

I'd be interested in learning what OS (and w/ or w/o aero for Vista), case, and CPU cooler people have to see if these are a factors in the overheating issue. The final component for my build (Intel E8400) comes tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have overheating problems.
post #290 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchinand View Post

I would definitely try a BIOS upgrade, it seems weird for a just released board that you have such a different BIOS version. ASUS version numbering may be somewhat arbitrary though, and 2.61 could have been the version before 0404 which seems what most people's boards come with.

I'd be interested in learning what OS (and w/ or w/o aero for Vista), case, and CPU cooler people have to see if these are a factors in the overheating issue. The final component for my build (Intel E8400) comes tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have overheating problems.

I'd be very interesting in hearing what u have to say about the heat issue mchinand - please post ur findings.

My latests findings is that I can now, after moving my PSU to face the chipset cooler (open air setup), install winXP... Wuhu - I guess - my pc still crashes when I play games, but seems to be stable when working in winXP - the temps are 42 celsius for the CPU (E8400) and 37 for the MB. Can anyone please confirm that these are normal temps? can anyone reach MB temps at 40 celsius without their PC crashing? Im still thinking about returning this board - mostly because xradman says his chipset is barely warm to touch, while my chipset will melt my skin if I hold my finger on the cooler for 2 secs...

About the BIOS - the BIOS says version 02.61 - ASUS software (run from windows) says 0404. I dont know what to think :/

btw - auto-shutting = auto shutdown = PC turns off to prevent hardware damage.
post #291 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 12:10 PM

I built a system around this board this saturday. First night i ran it all-night formating my 1Tb harddrive, worked fine.

Other hardware is Intel C2D E8400, Corsair 4 GB DDR2 and Schytje Ninja Mini all in the Antec Fusion Chassi.

Then yesterday i tried playing some blueray movies and stuff like that. I noticed that the chipset cooler got really hot. I put my finger on top of it and could only hold it there for about 2-3 seconds, before it began to feel really uncomfortable.

I did a really DIY solution and leaned a 120mm fan against my Ninja, so it blows air down on the chipset cooler. Now the chipset cooler is totaly cool, i barely feel any warmth at all when i put my finger on it.

The strange thing is the MB temp reader. Before i put the 120mm fan, it said about 30 degrees Celsius, now with the fan, it also says around 30 degrees Celsius (well actually 31 at the moment). CPU is at 28 degrees.

Everything is running smoothly, great blueray playback (CPU < 10%).

I'm a happy camper!
post #292 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd be very interesting in hearing what u have to say about the heat issue mchinand - please post ur findings.

My latests findings is that I can now, after moving my PSU to face the chipset cooler (open air setup), install winXP... Wuhu - I guess - my pc still crashes when I play games, but seems to be stable when working in winXP - the temps are 42 celsius for the CPU (E8400) and 37 for the MB. Can anyone please confirm that these are normal temps? can anyone reach MB temps at 40 celsius without their PC crashing? Im still thinking about returning this board - mostly because xradman says his chipset is barely warm to touch, while my chipset will melt my skin if I hold my finger on the cooler for 2 secs...

About the BIOS - the BIOS says version 02.61 - ASUS software (run from windows) says 0404. I dont know what to think :/

btw - auto-shutting = auto shutdown = PC turns off to prevent hardware damage.

AFAI, there are no hooks for an overtemp chipset to auto-shutdown a PC. That rests solely on the CPU, and usually after massive throttling. Your mobo temps look fine, but your CPU temps look a bit high (my Q9300 is around that temp). When I had a E3110 (Xeon E8400 equivalent), it was mostly around 35C or less. Try to get your GPU temps by running Speedfan 4.26, as that is more indicative of the MCP7A....
post #293 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Hello all,

On my way to build my HTPC on what I had in mind on this board. Having read this thread it really makes me wonder if this is the board to get with all the problems being described.

Has any of you approached ASUS about this and what is their reply? It doesn't seem to be one or two board that have these problems directly. Obviously some have bigger issues than others with their boards. And as someone else was saying earlier, it cannot be that you buy a new board and the first thing you need to do is to start modifying it with aftermarket heatsinks and fans.

A little side note, did any of you look at the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H which uses the 9400 chip? Haven't seen any thread on this one yet.

Behdad
post #294 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Put one of these together with a C2D E7200, 640 GB WD, DH-4O1S BDROM, and an Antec Minuet350. It is plugged into a Sony HTIB and then to a Visio VO47 via HDMI. (I am not an audiophile.)

Based upon all of the comments about NB heat, I attached a 92MM fan to the case cover grille right above the NB, blowing down, and connected it to the CH FAN connector. I have it set as "Optimized" in the BIOS and it usually runs around 900 RPM.

Installed Vista Home Prem, the basic chipset drivers, FFDshow plus Hali, and PDVD8. I was prepared to spend a day tweaking it before I took it into the living room but it just wasn't needed. Compared to my last Gigabyte/ATI/AMD build, this was simple.

It plays anything I throw at it. BD looks as good as the other system and SD DVD and downloaded shows are also on a par with the ATI and that is with no changes to FFDshow.

The best thing of all is that resume from S3 works every time. I used to have to reboot the ATI to get the picture to come back so I added an iMON to shut the computer down and boot it back up.

I am very pleased with the setup and have actually been able to show my wife how to run it with the Harmony One and an MS MCE IR adapter.
post #295 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 PM

the gigabyte seems to be unreleased till now?!

today i´ve played a bit with various bios settings. as i´m trying to get the best out of the system, i tried to overclock the gpu @9400.

so i raised the timings to 580/1400 and i also raised the NB voltage to max. the gpu temp, running furmark, was ~10K higher than before and MB temp raised from actually 38°C to 45°C without giving issues.

later i installed SP1 for vista and disconnected the 80mm fan blowing over the north-bridge and the system crashed after 20min or so @580/1400

i couldn´t look into bios or something to verify NB temp but it was untouchable (~50-60°C).

i´m not sure if that instability was caused by the high temps, but i will find out tomorrow. if so, i´m definately going to cool NB activ.
post #296 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Hi,
I have the HDMI out of this MB running to my pioneer VSX-1018AH and I am only able to receive 2 channel LPCM (no 8 channel). When I attempt to configure the speakers through the control panel no test signal comes out of my speakers. However, if I play 8 Channel audio (e.g., TrueHD, DTS MA) sound comes out of my front left and right speaker. I am running TMT with an intel e2160 and 4gb ram. Any advice?
post #297 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

FYI - Do not use CPU-Z or any hardware monitor programs until later releases supporting the 9300/9400. It gives inaccurate results for memory, bus speeds, etc. I would advise you use nVidia's System Tools:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_...ools_6.03.html

It works great and gives the correct bus speeds, memory timings, as well as GPU overclocking options.

I went the entire weekend without an incomplete restart/shutdown by avoiding using cpu-z or hwmonitor. The only hardware monitoring software I use now is ASUS pc-probe. It appears to work without any problems but I'm not sure how accurate it is. CPU temp avgs 30c and mbtemp 32c. Tried nvidia system tools but often get a Windows error msg that the program is not responding and must close. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling it if others are using it with no troubles. I am not worried about excessive heat, I've had no system shutdowns due to this that I am aware of. I am using a matx case with a 120mm fan in front and a 92mm in the rear, in addition to cpu and psu fans. I don't use this pc as a dedicated htpc.

I posted a thread on the ASUS support forum regarding the incomplete restarts/shutdowns, here is the link for anyone interested in the responses:http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
post #298 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

In my experience if your heat sink feels cooller to the touch then what is being read through the temp monitor then your heat sink is either not making good contact OR your have some bad Thermal Grease...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE_RobRoy View Post

I built a system around this board this saturday. First night i ran it all-night formating my 1Tb harddrive, worked fine.

Other hardware is Intel C2D E8400, Corsair 4 GB DDR2 and Schytje Ninja Mini all in the Antec Fusion Chassi.

Then yesterday i tried playing some blueray movies and stuff like that. I noticed that the chipset cooler got really hot. I put my finger on top of it and could only hold it there for about 2-3 seconds, before it began to feel really uncomfortable.

I did a really DIY solution and leaned a 120mm fan against my Ninja, so it blows air down on the chipset cooler. Now the chipset cooler is totaly cool, i barely feel any warmth at all when i put my finger on it.

The strange thing is the MB temp reader. Before i put the 120mm fan, it said about 30 degrees Celsius, now with the fan, it also says around 30 degrees Celsius (well actually 31 at the moment). CPU is at 28 degrees.

Everything is running smoothly, great blueray playback (CPU < 10%).

I'm a happy camper!

post #299 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE_RobRoy View Post

Can you check your GPU temp with and without the extra fan? I used PC Wizard 2008 for a GPU temp since Speedfan wasn't reporting one. I don't think the 30C MB temp is the one associated with the ASUS-stamped heatsink.
post #300 of 1124 Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure your not reading the ambient temperature? You will want to read actual temperature of the component. Ambient temperature will not fluctuate as much UNLESS you have upgraded your case cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post

Can you check your GPU temp with and without the extra fan? I used PC Wizard 2008 for a GPU temp since Speedfan wasn't reporting one. I don't think the 30C MB temp is the one associated with the ASUS-stamped heatsink.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page