*Official* Asus P5N7A-VM uATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have no trouble believing that Nvidia has screwed up yet again. Almost everyone in this thread has confirmed the abnormally high chipset temps, the fiasco with their graphic cards and their coverup is well known, and its pretty obvious that a chipset that was delayed for almost a year and launched with so many delays has to have some problems since they rushed it to get it ready in time for Apple's new lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster5k View Post

I'm sure it's an issue that only appears under certain hardware configurations, but nevertheless, it did resolve the problem I was having. Others who are experiencing hangs in S3 sleep may benefit from giving it a shot.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Got another hang going to sleep.

I was having the same problems as you where I had to unplug the power cord to get it to wake up again. I updated the Bios to the latest bios 0407 and what did if for me was the latest Nvidia Video Driver ver 180. That fixed everything with the sleep now. Now when I put it to sleep, it wakes up no problems. Check your video driver to make sure you have the latest one from nvidia as prior to that I was having resume from sleep problems as you described. I'm running Vista 32 bit btw with all settings in the bios as:

Suspend mode: S3 only
Power On PCI Wake: Enabled
Power On PCIE Wake: Enabled
Power On LAN Wake: Enabled
Power On Ring Wake: Enabled
Power On PS/2 Keyboard Wake: Enabled
Power On RTC Alarm: Disable

Plug and Playff
post #543 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Liked: 17
Yep, 180 has me doing hardware acceleration of mpeg2 and H.264 in Linux, for the first time in history! No freaky Cyberlink or Arcsoft codec needed, and no cost. Running ~9% CPU watching recordings in MythTV in my home theater.
post #544 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledr View Post

I was having the same problems as you where I had to unplug the power cord to get it to wake up again. I updated the Bios to the latest bios 0407 and what did if for me was the latest Nvidia Video Driver ver 180. That fixed everything with the sleep now. Now when I put it to sleep, it wakes up no problems. Check your video driver to make sure you have the latest one from nvidia as prior to that I was having resume from sleep problems as you described. I'm running Vista 32 bit btw with all settings in the bios as:

Suspend mode: S3 only
Power On PCI Wake: Enabled
Power On PCIE Wake: Enabled
Power On LAN Wake: Enabled
Power On Ring Wake: Enabled
Power On PS/2 Keyboard Wake: Enabled
Power On RTC Alarm: Disable

Plug and Playff

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I do have the latest NVIDIA driver and updated the BIOS to 0407, but the problem hasn't gone away. I've been pulling my hair out for a while now trying to figure out why it seems to work for others, but not me.

I might try disconnecting the Blu-Ray drive and front panel LCD to see if they play into it. Reinstalling Vista might be worth a shot too.
post #545 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Is anyone having issues with the Analog audio output?

Every time i shut restart my PC or 'wake' from sleep, the analog outputs no longer work. To get them to work again, i have to:

1) uninstall the Nvidia chipset drivers
2) uninstall the Vista audio drivers
3) I then reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers and use the Vista audio drivers

This works until the machine restarts or goes to sleep. I am using Vista32 and the latest chipset drivers with the 407 BIOS.
post #546 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM

I'm having a problem with low analog output, but no one seems to know how it works. Recovers fine from sleep (BIOS set to Auto), but output so low I have to crank it up until 60Hz hum.
post #547 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwills View Post

Is anyone having issues with the Analog audio output?

Every time i shut restart my PC or 'wake' from sleep, the analog outputs no longer work. To get them to work again, i have to:

1) uninstall the Nvidia chipset drivers
2) uninstall the Vista audio drivers
3) I then reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers and use the Vista audio drivers

This works until the machine restarts or goes to sleep. I am using Vista32 and the latest chipset drivers with the 407 BIOS.

Analog output should be controlled by the Realtek Vista Drivers. Then install the nVidia HDMI audio drivers after that (per Asus). Make sure you select the Realtek device as your default afterwards and setup in the Realtek audio program accordingly.

polkaudio + ONKYO : =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #548 of 1126 Old 12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdford View Post

Does anyone else have a problem with the video not coming back after a resume? If my HDTV (connected through DVI) isn't on when the PC wakes up, I usually will not get any video out. Rebooting (either remotely or via keystrokes that I've had to remember) or a suspend/resume cycle will cause it to come back, but I want it to work the first time! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post

Yeah, I see this, too. I'm connecting via HDMI through an Onkyo SR606 (HDMI switcher). I need to remember to switch the HDMI input over before I wake the PC. Otherwise, I need to sleep/wake again. I can program my Harmony to delay the PC's IR wake command until after it sends the HDMI input command. But I'm too lazy. Plus, I haven't figured out if there's a discrete wake vs sleep IR command. If no, then the Harmony could sleep the PC if it was already on.

In any case, this issue is pretty annoying. I wonder if there is some kind of IR command we could send that would just reset the display signal (rather than going through a whole sleep/wake cycle)?

FYI: In another thread, renethx posted a workaround using AutoHotkey:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15201728
post #549 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Will house it in OrigenAE S10V, with slot drive and E4850 CPU, 2 Gigs RAM, and 64 Gig Samsung 2.5" RAMdrive. Basically just lifting all my components out of my current G35 machine.

Will run Vista 32 and Total Media Theater - will use my 30 Terabyte server as media source, as well as central iTunes, photos, video, etc library.

Building it to primarily to run cool, so don't figure I need a huge CPU, thanks to the NV 9300.

I'm drooling already Will build over weekend.

do youhave some photos of your system ?
post #550 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

I'm having a problem with low analog output, but no one seems to know how it works. Recovers fine from sleep (BIOS set to Auto), but output so low I have to crank it up until 60Hz hum.

I had this problem once, but on another machine. Try going into The properties of the Realtek hardware. (Sound--> Playback Devices--> Properties) and then go to the Audio Levels tab. But them all of the different levels related to sound output up to their maximums. This should give you better control of audio, hopefully.
post #551 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM

Ya, good suggestion. Checking also on the nvnews forum.
post #552 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:

As I said before we must keep these below 50C, or else.

Are you talking gpu temp? I admit I know nothing about chipset/gpu manufacturing but if you are talking gpu temp how can this be accomplished? Even video cards with decent fans attached will reach higher gpu temperatures than 50c when idle.
post #553 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Since I have a workaround for the hang issue that others have been having (by using a plug-in ethernet card), my concern now is the display resolution changing. It is quite annoying to reset the resolution everytime I wake the computer up! I might as well turn off the computer. If I put the computer to sleep, then wake it back up, all with the connected monitor turned on, I have no problems. Its only when there has been a wake, followed by going to sleep (due to idle timeout) cycle with the connected display turned off. This occurs in the middle of the night as I use Windows Home Server (WHS) to perform backups. I do have a custom resolution as I use the nVidia utility to Resize my Desktop. Perhaps this is the problem? I'll try it again without a custom resolution.

UPDATE: Looks like the issue with the resolution changing only occurs when you've setup a custom resolution via the nVidia "Resize Desktop" utility. I do this because I am losing a bit of the sides of the desktop when displayed with my HDTV Projector. I effectively make a custom resolution to avoid stuff getting chopped off the sides of the windows desktop. Well it looks like this gets "reset" to the default minimum resolution when you awake the board with the display turned off. Meanwhile, if i just use the maximum resolution (1920x1080) and don't resize the desktop to create a custom resolution, the computer can wake/sleep/wake with or without the display on, and the resolution is remembered.

Has anybody encountered this problem, or if not, could somebody try it for me? TIA. ASUS wants me to RMA the board back in, which is a royal pain, especially if it ends up being a bug in the driver.
post #554 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntholiday View Post

Are you talking gpu temp? I admit I know nothing about chipset/gpu manufacturing but if you are talking gpu temp how can this be accomplished? Even video cards with decent fans attached will reach higher gpu temperatures than 50c when idle.

Yes, GPU temp.

Mine stays around 39C. Please see my posts above.
post #555 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

Since I have a workaround for the hang issue that others have been having (by using a plug-in ethernet card), my concern now is the display resolution changing. It is quite annoying to reset the resolution everytime I wake the computer up! I might as well turn off the computer. If I put the computer to sleep, then wake it back up, all with the connected monitor turned on, I have no problems. Its only when there has been a wake, followed by going to sleep (due to idle timeout) cycle with the connected display turned off. This occurs in the middle of the night as I use Windows Home Server (WHS) to perform backups. I do have a custom resolution as I use the nVidia utility to Resize my Desktop. Perhaps this is the problem? I'll try it again without a custom resolution.

UPDATE: Looks like the issue with the resolution changing only occurs when you've setup a custom resolution via the nVidia "Resize Desktop" utility. I do this because I am losing a bit of the sides of the desktop when displayed with my HDTV Projector. I effectively make a custom resolution to avoid stuff getting chopped off the sides of the windows desktop. Well it looks like this gets "reset" to the default minimum resolution when you awake the board with the display turned off. Meanwhile, if i just use the maximum resolution (1920x1080) and don't resize the desktop to create a custom resolution, the computer can wake/sleep/wake with or without the display on, and the resolution is remembered.

Has anybody encountered this problem, or if not, could somebody try it for me? TIA. ASUS wants me to RMA the board back in, which is a royal pain, especially if it ends up being a bug in the driver.

I had the same problem with my HDMI output resizing my desktop to 800x600 after waking up from sleep. I was also using Nvidias driver to resize my screen to fit on my Samsung DLP. What finally fixed the problem was to use a DVI to HDMI cable instead of HDMI to HDMI and haven't seen it since. Hopefully a later driver will fix this bug for HDMI output. The audio output still works over the DVI cable.

I have noticed my audio has a few second delay from playing over HDMI/DVI. Has anyone been able to fix this using an onkyo receiver? I noticed some posts about this problem a few weeks ago. For the mean time I can just connect audio over an optical SPDIF connection.

My setup is under Vista 64 with Q6600. I run my DVI output to HDMI input on an Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver. The receiver connects to a Samsung 57" DLP display.
post #556 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 PM
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

UPDATE: Looks like the issue with the resolution changing only occurs when you've setup a custom resolution via the nVidia "Resize Desktop" utility. <...> Well it looks like this gets "reset" to the default minimum resolution when you awake the board with the display turned off. Meanwhile, if i just use the maximum resolution (1920x1080) and don't resize the desktop to create a custom resolution, the computer can wake/sleep/wake with or without the display on, and the resolution is remembered.

Yup, I can confirm this exact behavior. I can use the AutoHotkey workaround but I also tend to skip the overscan adjustment nowadays. Other than this issue, I finally have a setup that I'm pleased with.

Side note: I also recently aimed a slow fan towards the ASUS heatsink and GPU is 48-50C max under full load (was 70C previously with no issue other than it bugged me).

Setup: Antec NSK2480, Q9400, Scythe Mini Ninja, 4GB G.Skill DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15), LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD GGC-H20L; Onkyo TX606, Samsung DLP
Vista Home Prem 64bit, ASUS BIOS 0407, nForce v20.08, GeForce v180.48
post #557 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Found an interesting bug : If I boot up my PC w/o my receiver on, I will not get any sound until I reboot again with the receiver on first. Must be some HDMI handshaking at the beginning that disables the audio output temporarily. Just a heads up.

post #558 of 1126 Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Got mine built and seems to run well so far:

P5N7A-VM
INTEL E8400
ANTEC FUSION 430 BLACK
LG COMBO DRIVE

Stock Intel cpu cooler, no OC. Temps seem reasonable - GPU max of 59C during Blueray playback, cores stay between 39-42C (measured using SpeedFan).

Only issue so far was the IR receiver in the Antec case acting very screwy. Added OEM MSFT IR receiver & all works normally.
post #559 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Does anybody know how to reduce the fanspeed of the chassis- and powerfan? I only found in the bios "silent" and optimal. But Speedfan (4.36) for example is not able to reduce the fanspeed...

Letti
post #560 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letti View Post

Does anybody know how to reduce the fanspeed of the chassis- and powerfan? I only found in the bios "silent" and optimal. But Speedfan (4.36) for example is not able to reduce the fanspeed...

Letti

Follow these instructions by Renethx on the GB 9400 thread (is applicable to the Asus 9300 as well):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1087407&page=4

FWIW - Mine works fine, disabled Q-Fan in the BIOS and control everything via Speedfan (although I'm not sure PWR Fan is controllable).

post #561 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I got to say, NB temps on this board are very good IMO, never going over 44 to 45C without any additional cooling, but of course this is using a 4u server case located in my equipt closet. Very happy with this motherboard.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal,
post #562 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Decon:

Quote:
I have no trouble believing that Nvidia has screwed up yet again. Almost everyone in this thread has confirmed the abnormally high chipset temps, the fiasco with their graphic cards and their coverup is well known, and its pretty obvious that a chipset that was delayed for almost a year and launched with so many delays has to have some problems since they rushed it to get it ready in time for Apple's new lineup.

I don't know why people have to make such broad and inaccurate comments that may negatively affect other's choices. Many people on this forum and many other owners of this board have reported low to acceptable temperatures. In my case I rarely get a temperature above 40 degrees celcius. While watching a blu-ray, which in my opinion is the ideal use for this motherboard, my CPU temp remains around 30 and my MB temp is 34. My HTPC case is silent although fan cooled with Noctua fans.

I have no problem with people stating their opinion but when thy make universal misleading statements I take issue. That's my rant for the day.
post #563 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'd just like to add that my temps have been low as well, and this board(after the bios update) has been functioning PERFECTLY for BD HD/DVD playback. Its a gorgeous solution for HTPC users like myself who's lovely wife is against a computer in the living room. I made a small black box with this mobo and an LG drive. It only uses two cables, one for power and one for both sound and video to the tv. A very neat solution.

It just works. Period. No issues AT ALL(once the bios update was done...).
post #564 of 1126 Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Knuck, you must keep your computer in the fridge then.
post #565 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 AM

Okay, just got this board and I'm having an issue right off the bat.

I currently just have the CPU and memory installed and I'm not getting a video signal from either the DVI or VGA connectors. I'd try the HDMI connector but I don't have an HDMI to DVI adapter handy.

Before I go buy an adapter, is it possible that this board was somehow configured to HDMI-only video output before I received it? Or even...is that the default BIOS configuration?

Thanks,
Jon
post #566 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You know, with all the complaints about heat, you'd think people would listen.

Yes, nvidia shipped us all a hot chip. I say bitch to nvidia and stop clogging up this board. Go out and spend $25 on a Thermalright Hr-05/IFX heatsink and through a silent 80mm fan in it. My temps are now 25 idle and 30 fully loaded.

Should we have to spend another $25 to get this right, HELL NO. put that passion of writing where it can do something...to nvidia.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
post #567 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 AM

GPUs regularly idle at temperatures over 60C. It's nothing out of the normal. Passively cooled GPUs in particular will run hot, but they're still within spec. I really don't understand the obsession with getting the temperatures way below the range the part was designed to handle. It'd be one thing if the heat actually caused a lockup, but even then, you should talk to ASUS and get a new board rather than making modifications to it.
post #568 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 AM

blaster, apparently you haven't read the past couple of pages.
post #569 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 AM

I'm not about to take stock in something written by a single notoriously anti-NVIDIA author. I can't find a single reputable source providing evidence that the issues with the prior generation chips haven't been resolved -- in fact, I can't find any at all outside of that one site. Just because one person makes a claim, doesn't make it true.

My chipset runs at about 54C idle. I've seen it get up to 77C under load. I've encountered no instability of any sort that I can attribute to heat. I've had past GPUs that ran even hotter -- ie. 8800 GTS. Never had any trouble with them either.
post #570 of 1126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 AM

Doesn't nVidia's $200m setaside say anything?

Look, we're just trying to help you. We're not obsessing over frosty electronics or a few degrees of savings... our boards failed in stock condition! Your chip runs cool, fine be happy. If it's hot, it can be fixed, that's all.

I'm keeping this board because I've ameliorated the heat problem, and because it gives me hardware accel of H.264/AVC in Linux & MythTV. Never happened before. Wonderful.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page