post #631 of 1124 Old 12-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtb_dave View Post

I have exactly the same problem with Windows XP SP3 (Beta v.3264) PCM over HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR805. Right rear plays as right side and left rear plays as left side. Not sure why. To be honest, this is a major improvement. Hell, at least I get PCM sound now.

EDIT [clarification - I also have to disable Realtek device or else I get nothing across HDMI]

Let me know if you discover why they're reversed. I'd be willing to take a bet Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. God knows, I just discovered my Service Pack 3 has a bug and they forgot to include the Universal Audio Architecture driver for high definition audio. I had to apply a patch to fix Microsoft's Hotfix. Check this out in case anybody else is suffering with HDMI audio on XP Service Pack 3. As if it wasn't difficult enough to get this HDCP and PAP bullcrap working.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=490

Anybody else fix this channel reversal problem? And while I'm asking, has anybody discovered how to force the receiver to lock onto the HDMI audio during silence?

I can't get the HDMI audio to work on XP SP3. Which HD Audio device do you install the MS UUA driver for and which MS UUA driver do you select?

Also, no solution for the reversed audio channels as yet. I think it must be a MS/Nvidia issue as it's been consistent across vista/xp and various nvidia chipset based motherboards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1124 Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
how in hell you get 5.1 sounds from the HDMI??? it only sends PCM stereo, if I use the optical spidif though, I can get DTS, Dolby, etc.. My amp is capable of processing audio in hdmi, it's a harman kardon AVR254, With my xbox 360, I get the 5.1 from hdmi.
post #633 of 1124 Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

Can anyone tell me how to get AHCI mode working with VISTA 32bit if the OS was already installed with the drives in SATA mode ???

I have three hdd's in my box now, and I'd like to simply hook up my BD rom to the 4th SATA, but it is an AHCI mode or RAID mode SATA connector ONLY, according to the manual. So, how do I enable AHCI mode and get VISTA to boot ???

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Then go into the BIOS-Main-Storage Configuration. Change SATA Mode to AHCI Mode. I have no personal experience if this will work - try at your own risk. Good luck
post #634 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Then go into the BIOS-Main-Storage Configuration. Change SATA Mode to AHCI Mode. I have no personal experience if this will work - try at your own risk. Good luck

Confirmed. It worked in my case.
post #635 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birz View Post

how in hell you get 5.1 sounds from the HDMI??? it only sends PCM stereo, if I use the optical spidif though, I can get DTS, Dolby, etc.. My amp is capable of processing audio in hdmi, it's a harman kardon AVR254, With my xbox 360, I get the 5.1 from hdmi.

anyone???
post #636 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM

I modified my post / rant at the top of page 21 about HDMI audio fixes for Windows XP SP3. Check if there's anything helpful for you in there. Good luck!
post #637 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM

I am about to throw my VMC across the room! I have rebuilt it 3 times now and every time I think I get it right something else goes wrong! This is the most annoying and frequent of the problems. Basically, the way it starts is with playing a normal DVD, or a DVD file from my movies. Bluray plays fine, TV plays fine. When I play a DVD I get the dreaded "Files required to play video are not installed or not working". Once thats happened on DVD, I lose sound as well for the whole media centre until i restart the media center program. Also, from then on until after a reboot, recorded TV will not play either, with the same error showing up. I have tried different drivers to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions before I trash this bloody thing?? There are a million different suggestions when you google this error.
post #638 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM

Liked: 17
DJ, you need Kubuntu and MythTV.

Watching DVRed TV smoothly every night here, and automatically skipping all commercials!

Then again, you'll need an IQ over 130 to set it up.
post #639 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I play a DVD I get the dreaded "Files required to play video are not installed or not working". Once thats happened on DVD, I lose sound as well for the whole media centre until i restart the media center program.

Actuall, the second part, sound disappearing, is probably causing the first... a point of view that may help your diagnosis...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #640 of 1124 Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birz View Post

I use PowerDVD retail version. NOT OEM as it will only give you 2 ch. I downloaded the update for 7.3 and select config, audio, and choosed HDMI. I then choose Dolby passthru and get 5.1. Make sure DD and DTS is checked in audio of windows. Hope that helps
post #641 of 1124 Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Actuall, the second part, sound disappearing, is probably causing the first... a point of view that may help your diagnosis...

Funny you should say that as last night after posting I had a thought this might be the case and have had a play with the audio settings. I read something about a mismatch between audio and video drivers causing problems, so I have reloaded the mobo supplied audio and video drivers and also changed some settings in the HDMI config. So far so good, but if it lasts a week I will be happier!

@Quantumstate - I hope you aren't suggesting I have an IQ lower than 130 lol... Actually I am planning on trying a Linux setup again when I have time. I use Linux on all my other PCs including the work laptop (which is probably why Windows winds me up so much!) but have shied away from it on the Media Center since trying 2 or 3 years ago - it just wasn't quite there back then, mainly due to driver support. How have you found it with this board? What additional stuff have you had to do to get it to work? What does and doesnt work properly? Anything you CANT do with your setup that you can on VMC? Any reason why you have not used LinuxMCE or Mythbuntu?

Cheers
post #642 of 1124 Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Krazylegs View Post

If you click on the "configure" button in the audio control panel with this selected, you get an option to set 2 channel / 5.1 / 7.1.
Hope that helps.

Thanks. The problem is when I do this, and I test either Dolby or DTS, I get an error saying "Windows could not play the test tone, the selected format will be disabled."

I've tried with and w/o Realtek drivers.

Sean
post #643 of 1124 Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

DJ, you need Kubuntu and MythTV.

Watching DVRed TV smoothly every night here, and automatically skipping all commercials!

Then again, you'll need an IQ over 130 to set it up.

Problem with that is no DRM'd services like Netflix. I would use Linux in a heartbeat if I could get premium legal content with it.

Sean
post #644 of 1124 Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledr View Post

I use PowerDVD retail version. NOT OEM as it will only give you 2 ch. I downloaded the update for 7.3 and select config, audio, and choosed HDMI. I then choose Dolby passthru and get 5.1. Make sure DD and DTS is checked in audio of windows. Hope that helps

I'd like to try that but I strongly suspect it won't work. Windows isn't even allowing me to turn on 5.1 options on the HDMI Audio device. On my old mobo it wasn't a problem. I got 5.1 HDMI from DVDs using VMC, Zoom Player, etc.

Sean
post #645 of 1124 Old 12-24-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:

@Quantumstate - I hope you aren't suggesting I have an IQ lower than 130 lol... How have you found it with this board? What additional stuff have you had to do to get it to work? What does and doesnt work properly? Anything you CANT do with your setup that you can on VMC? Any reason why you have not used LinuxMCE or Mythbuntu?

Well, very few have an IQ over 130. I just did a basic straight install of Kubuntu; it needs to be Intripid, as for SATA2 kernel must be at least 2.6.27. It takes some work to get -audio- over HDMI, and it takes some work to get Myth running, but I am commercial-free and recording everything in the pure digital it should be in, right on my disk unencrypted.

There are always struggles. At the moment my wifi is not working because I upgraded the 4965 driver to get 802.11n and a, for better streaming. (MythTV over ethernet) Struggled all day yesterday on that, and may again today. Otherwise it's beautiful. I did not use Mythbuntu or MCE because I am not a shoe salesman; plus I must compile Myth with a special patch for the R5000. Mythbuntu seems temporary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter View Post

Problem with that is no DRM'd services like Netflix. I would use Linux in a heartbeat if I could get premium legal content with it.

LOL, this is hilarious. If there is one thing Linux is superb with, it's living DRM free. (-Free- as in freedom)

DRM doesn't get to live at my house. I decode and decrypt all DRM and save it as a digital transport stream on disk. I guess by Netflix you mean streaming over the web, on-demand. I've looked at this and am not really interested as the quality is lower than Dish HD, DVD, or Bluray.

'Legal' content? Are you aware of our Fair Use Rights, as found by the Supreme Court in the Sony Betamax decision? The Rights which have been all but taken away from us for digital content by corrupt media interests who bought the Republican Congress to pass the DMCA? I believe in and assert my Fair Use Rights, because this is part of what made this nation great post-war to the '70's.

I have the R5000-HD and record Dish Network's pure digital stream with MythTV, automatically flag commercials and cut them from the digital stream with no transcoding. Dish's h.264 encoders cost over $50k each, and I don't think you can compress better so I try not to.
post #646 of 1124 Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Hey all, I am in love with this board. I plan on selling my Popcorn 110 and building a HTPC. The Popcorn works great but I realize now nothing can substitute a real PC.

I have a question though, I plan on watercooling my setup. It says its a 730i chipset has anybody had any success finding a compatible chipset waterblock to fit this?
post #647 of 1124 Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 AM

I thank everyone for providing great amounts if experience with this.

The heat issue seemed serious but more or less outside Asus however I can't tolerate these many side problems. The most serious being this fan problem that is happening with more than a few. I will not accept running yet another process to control the fan. That has been hardware territory for years!

I am replacing the current mobo and keeping (yes keeping) the CURRENT install of XP SP3 so I can't afford for it to have to be heavily modified to work.

One thing that could have saved the sale is if it had a better Realtek with DTS connect or Dolby Digital Live but strangely the ALC1200 codec seems to lack that...
post #648 of 1124 Old 12-25-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Greetings,

I have had absolutely no problems with this MB. I migrated my XP SP3 install using the 20.08 nForce drivers and 180.48 GeForce Drivers. I plugged it into my Denon 1909 via HDMI, selected the Nvidia High Defination Audio output in the control panel, rebooted, and voila; multi-channel audio in when playing back mkv's. No muss, not fuss. Works perfectly.

This board rocks.

Merry Christmas to all!

Willie
post #649 of 1124 Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 PM

There have been a few people asking if this specific board would work with Linux and HDMI audio/Video. This is the setup I have, and it's working fine:
  • P5N7A-VM with E8400 3.0 GHz not overclocked. Change BIOS audio from spdif to hdmi
  • Only using on-board audio/video.
  • Denon AVR-988
  • Pioneer Kuro plasma (also via hdmi)
  • all components are hdcp compliant (is anything commercial not?)
  • Distro is Fedora 10 (although I came 10 seconds from jumping ship to ubuntu)
  • Linux kernel is 2.6.27.9-159 PAE (because 4+gig RAM)
  • using nvidia driver 177.82 but via akmod-nvidia so it compiles at boot. This is the only nvidia module that will work for me for some reason. livna/atrpms standard kernel moduels work on my other FC8 box, but not with the new FC10 box for some reason.
  • alsa 1.0.18a from distro, did not compile from source
  • pulseaudio is installed, but I'm not using it. will probably remove as it's annoying as hell.
  • xbmc compiled from cvs source

Briefly, what I found to make it work:
'aplay -l' should get you some line that contains "...device 3: hdmi [nvidia hda]..." or some variation of that, the key is making sure that an hdmi line exists, if not, double check your alsa, kernel, nvidia all are playing well. scan through /var/log/boot.log for obvious errors, particularly with akmod-nvidia.

I used gnome-sound-properties to initially test. I set everything to hdmi output and clicked the test button. I got audio out hdmi, but everything else mplayer, vlc, xmms... played via line-out. So at least I know it was possible at this point.

Then I found (from here: "http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut") that you could specify a device with mplayer:
Code:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=plughw=0.3 somevideo.avi
that instantly played through hdmi, and made me very happy. in fact, I played a bunch of songs and took a coffee break.

Since I'm using XBMC (compiling that under FC10 is a whole other story) I updated the audio settings. instead of default and iec958 I set both to: plughw:0,3
Note mplayer uses a 'dot' and xbmc uses a 'comma' between 0/3 for the device.

If you do not change both audio settings in XBMC, I found mp3 and standard stereo would play with hdmi, but 5.1 encoded video would not. changing the bypass from iec958 to plughw:0,3 fixed that. It makes sense now, but docs were a little vague.

So XBMC is working 90+%, it does sometimes crash when stopping a video, but most of the time it's ok. It works in 1080P with hdmi. I played the "killa sampla" x264 with XBMC running in full screen on top of gnome and it plays fine. CPU0 and CPU1 will peak at 70-ish% and level out around 60%. "XBMC-CPU" floats around 130%. Zero tears, blips, jaggies, whatever.

(for comparison, I played it on my AMD 64 X2 4200+ with PCIe nvidia 6600GT, the video skips like a strobe light, and the audio sounds like buckethead with a kill switch)

guess I got sidetracked a little, os back to the point: Yes HDMI video and audio "can" work perfectly fine with the on-board outputs of this MB under Linux. I do not use Windows, so can't help there.

-ebh
post #650 of 1124 Old 12-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Nice pelipen, good contribution.

You might want to go to the nVidia driver 180.11, to get vdpau hardware acceleration of mpeg2 and h.264. Deinstall any other driver first.

Come see us over in the Linux forum.
post #651 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 03:58 AM

Liked: 11
Can I use the discrete videocard in addition to internal and all cards will work simultaneously?

I wonna use the powerfull card for games purposes, and the internal for the movies.
post #652 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari2 View Post

Can I use the discrete videocard in addition to internal and all cards will work simultaneously?

I wonna use the powerfull card for games purposes, and the internal for the movies.

To take advantage of Hybrid SLI (GeForce Boost) you'll need to install either a 8400 GS or 8500 GT.
post #653 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM

I know this is a bit of a long shot but:

Does anyone have a PCI-E raid card (like LSI megaraid, dell perc, arcea) that they would be willing to plug into this board for me, if it isn't in there already?

I've had lots of bad luck with mainboards getting confused when installing something other than VGA in the PCI-E. Last ASUS board I used turned off its HDMI when I put my raid card in
post #654 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, this is hilarious. If there is one thing Linux is superb with, it's living DRM free. (-Free- as in freedom)

You can enjoy your freedom. I'll enjoy my "free" premium content that I don't have to steal.

Quote:

DRM doesn't get to live at my house. I decode and decrypt all DRM and save it as a digital transport stream on disk.

Sounds like a fun way to spend Friday night . But seriously, what DRM are you talking about? There's no iTunes for Linux. Where and how are you purchasing movies in which you have to strip DRM from?

Quote:

I guess by Netflix you mean streaming over the web, on-demand. I've looked at this and am not really interested as the quality is lower than Dish HD, DVD, or Bluray.

Not just Netflix, but Hulu.com, NBC.com, CBS.com, ABC.com, etc. The price is also lower. Free in fact (assuming you already pay for NF DVD mail service). Netflix has HD stuff now as does CBS and ABC. HD from these services is better quality than DVD. And most non-HD stuff on NF looks nearly as good as a DVD. Definitely better than SD digital cable/sat. Hulu works with Linux I think, but the others don't.

Quote:

'Legal' content? Are you aware of our Fair Use Rights, as found by the Supreme Court in the Sony Betamax decision? The Rights which have been all but taken away from us for digital content by corrupt media interests who bought the Republican Congress to pass the DMCA? I believe in and assert my Fair Use Rights, because this is part of what made this nation great post-war to the '70's.

Your thinking is dated. Circa 2006. The issue at hand is not downloadable purchases, which everyone agrees DRM for that is horrific. The issue is rental and streaming services, where DRM is crucial. Without it, we wouldn't have these great services. Period. Also, I'm a hardcore Democrat, and even I'll admit that you can't blame Republicans for this stuff. Joe Biden, who I voted for VP, is particularly pro-industry/anti-consumer in this department.

Downloading premium content from ********** is 100% illegal, not to mention a time consuming pain in the ass. Buying downloads from iTunes, Amazon, etc., is a ripoff and also a pain in the ass. If I feel the need to own a movie (rare) I'll buy the Blu-ray. Otherwise Hulu, Netflix, etc. is where it's at now. And if it's not available online, I just get it in the mail from Netflix.

Sean
post #655 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter View Post

Well. given the hostile tone of your response Sean, I am not going to help.
post #656 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:

When I watch bluray, picture is crystal clear, deep blacks etc as expected. When I watch TV or standard DVD though, it all looks a bit washed out. Does anyone else notice this? Its not a perception issue - I know obviously Bluray will make other sources look a bit crap afterwards. If I flip between my normal TV picture and the VMC TV picture, there is a definite difference.

My setup:

ASUS P5N7A-VM mobo
2GB Corsair RAM
Black Gold TV card
LG Bluray / HD-DVD driver
Vista premium
TMT

Its using the default Microsoft decoders. Wonder if its these that are at fault? If so, can I install something like PowerDVD without screwing up TMT and the VMC integration? Anyone know why Nvidia PureVideo isnt bundled with this board?

Thanks

There is an Advanced setting for Full-color Range 0-255 or something like that, before i change to that in the nvidia settings, all my blacks were grey.
post #657 of 1124 Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well. given the hostile tone of your response Sean, I am not going to help.

What's that saying... those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones? Since you "couldn't stop laughing" at my comment I figured we were all just having fun. Sorry if I offended. Not sure what you were planning on contributing, but there are 3 others with the same problem. Hate for them to suffer because of what I said.

Sean
post #658 of 1124 Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM

The current Nvidia drivers enable "inverse telecine" by default. I'm watching both DVD w/ Vista Media Center built-in decoder and PowerDVD for Blu Ray .

Am I better off disabling this and let my high end video processor (in Denon 5308 receiver) do the frequency work for me? Thanks.
post #659 of 1124 Old 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM

I've seen a couple posts mention outputting component off this board, via a HDMI/DVI to Component cable, has anyone gotten this to work?

I'm looking at building a system using this board, but can't use digital out as I'm connecting to an older projector with component/analog inputs only.

Upgrading/Replacing the projector isn't an option today (but will be in the future), so I'm forced to find a solution via analog outputs.

If anyone has gotten component output from this motherboard, could you chime in with what you used as a cable/adapter also?

Thanx!
post #660 of 1124 Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelector View Post

I've seen a couple posts mention outputting component off this board, via a HDMI/DVI to Component cable, has anyone gotten this to work?

I'm looking at building a system using this board, but can't use digital out as I'm connecting to an older projector with component/analog inputs only.
Thanx!

I take it you don't have VGA input either, which would be the best alternate option. Other option is video processor that downconverts HDMI to component, some new receivers have this option.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page