*Official* Asus P5N7A-VM uATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got some free time to upgrade my existing HTPC with this board. Wanted a good 4 hours with no interruptions to test new board, install in case, reinstall OS, etc.

30 minutes later the system was back in the cabinet. Un-freaking-believable!

Old MB was a P5E-VM HDMI, new is the P5N7A-VM. Keeping same slim-line HTPC case, stock low-profile Intel cpu cooler, E4500 cpu, 2x1gig Gskill memory.

Removed old CPU/Memory/Connections. Left old motherboard installed in case, setup new MB on foam outside case on side. Moved CPU/Memory/connections/power to new MB.

Powered the system up, upgraded and setup bios. Inserted Vista Premium CD into drive, and restarted. Got distracted at this point, and system booted off HDD. Oh crap! What with the whole new chipsets and controllers, I was dreading the blue-screen and possible data corruption problems (I have videos/pictures on seperate partition, so wasn't planning to wipe those).

Imagine my amazement when Vista booted up without a hitch. I ran the nVidia driver pack v20.08 from their site, rebooted, and all was golden.

System played DVDs, browsed the network, WHS and MyMovies all perfect. Even the old static IPs I'd assigned were applied to the new network card. I even have S3 sleep/resume working for the first time on Vista!

I'm planning to run this way for a few days, make sure temps look good in production, then I'll wipe the system, and install Windows 7 as a test bed.

For cooling/temps: I'm using the low-profile stock Intel cooler, on a E4500 on stock settings. I loaded up QFan to control the CPU speeds, which work good. This is in a slimline case, in a closed cabinet, with virtually no airflow. Case has a 60mm exhaust fan, and I installed a 60mmx10mm fan on the NB sink, undervolted to 9v. CPU is idling at ~35c, GPU is idling at 50c, with Vista Media Center up. CPU never rises above 40c, and I haven't seen GPU break 60c yet on standard DVDs. I did remove the stock NB sink, clean and apply MX-2 paste, then reseat, but that was all.

I have to say, as motherboards go, I haven't seen a better "Just Works" product in my entire 20 years of building machines. My next step is to load up TMT and test BR playback, and temps during BR playback. That's the only concern I have is what that will do to GPU temps. I also plan to undervolt the CPU a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayshadow View Post

Computer --[HDMI]--> TV --[RCA]--> Receiver

Maybe thats our problem. Because our TVs only have 2 channels of audio, it will not accept any special types of signals. That doesn't necessarily mean that video HDCP isn't supported, but just that audio HDCP is not. Do you have a bluray drive installed? Does you get 1080p video with it?
post #723 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makryger View Post

Maybe thats our problem. Because our TVs only have 2 channels of audio, it will not accept any special types of signals. That doesn't necessarily mean that video HDCP isn't supported, but just that audio HDCP is not. Do you have a bluray drive installed? Does you get 1080p video with it?

I don't have a bluray drive - I use my PS3 for that.

Do you have your audio going to a receiver?
post #724 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric51 View Post

Hello,

I have installed this motherboard but i have a problem with the dual view with 2 screen connected to the hdmi port and the dvi port.

I can't activate the dualview.

I test with 1 screeen on the vga port and the other on the hdmi port and it's ok.

I thought it was possible with the nvidia 9300 chipset like with my last intel g45 motherboard ?

I test it with the last nvidia driver 181.20 and the last nforce driver with the 178.13 version...

Any idea to solve the problem ?

Best regards

Unfortunately DVI and HDMI are not working concurrently! You can try the DisplayPort for the second screen.
I tried an DisplayPort->HDMI Adapter. But my LCD is not working.

kleinklausi
post #725 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinklausi View Post

Unfortunately DVI and HDMI are not working concurrently! You can try the DisplayPort for the second screen.
I tried an DisplayPort->HDMI Adapter. But my LCD is not working.

kleinklausi

I'm very disappointed because dual view with hdmi + dvi works with other geforce 9300 motherboards like the MSI P7NGM-Digital.

More info here in french : h*tp://www.homemedia.fr/tests-guides/146-GeForce-9300-le-nouvel-IGP-de-reference-pour-HTPC-5.html

post #726 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelector View Post

System played DVDs, browsed the network, WHS and MyMovies all perfect. Even the old static IPs I'd assigned were applied to the new network card. I even have S3 sleep/resume working for the first time on Vista!

I'm planning to run this way for a few days, make sure temps look good in production, then I'll wipe the system, and install Windows 7 as a test bed.

Keep us posted how things go with the Windows 7 install. I have the same setup as you, and am curious how it works with WHS & MyMovies. Will the WHS connector work? Will MyMovies install properly? I'm hesitant to try it myself, as I've got the system working perfectly right now with sleep/resume, TMT playing blu-ray from the network (from WHS share), etc.

Only issue I have is I cannot set a custom resolution to avoid the cropping of the desktop. When the computer wakes up in the middle of the night for a WHS backup, the connected AVR/TV is turned off. Backup completes just fine, but when I wake the computer back up with AVR/TV on, the resolution has been reset to default minimums. Kind of a drag, so I just live with the overscan problem and leave the standard resolution.
post #727 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayshadow View Post

I don't have a bluray drive - I use my PS3 for that.

Do you have your audio going to a receiver?

No, I have my audio going to my TV then to a receiver. I'm thinking that this is the main issue, as TVs apparently don't do HDMI passthrough very well of digital audio. I'm thinking that the "HDCP not supported" is just a misleading explanation of that fact. I'm just afraid that I'll get a bluray drive later on, and HDCP won't work...
post #728 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM

I just bought the LG GGC-H20LK and Blu Ray works perfect on my system. It was on sale last week for $94 shipped. Now I have one drive that supports all the formats.

HDMI from PC to Switcher, then to the TV. Audio is going from the TV to my Receiver via Optical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #729 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Out of curiousity, does anyone have more than 2 channels with this board using HDMI from computer to TV, then RCA cables from TV to receiver? Or is everyone using some sort of digital communication to their receiver?

I'm thinking I might need to update my receiver .. it's like 15 years old.
post #730 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

Keep us posted how things go with the Windows 7 install. I have the same setup as you, and am curious how it works with WHS & MyMovies. Will the WHS connector work? Will MyMovies install properly? I'm hesitant to try it myself, as I've got the system working perfectly right now with sleep/resume, TMT playing blu-ray from the network (from WHS share), etc.

Only issue I have is I cannot set a custom resolution to avoid the cropping of the desktop. When the computer wakes up in the middle of the night for a WHS backup, the connected AVR/TV is turned off. Backup completes just fine, but when I wake the computer back up with AVR/TV on, the resolution has been reset to default minimums. Kind of a drag, so I just live with the overscan problem and leave the standard resolution.

I can tell you that MyMovies works fine in Windows 7 x86. I've got it on one of my test boxes. WHS connector also works, though it shows the Windows 7 box as a Windows Vista machine. Backup and everything worked though.

I'll post more after I get windows 7 on the production HTPC this weekend. Will be able to test all those features on one platform then, including TMT.
post #731 of 1126 Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:

I'm very disappointed because dual view with hdmi + dvi works with other geforce 9300 motherboards like the MSI P7NGM-Digital.

More info here in french : h*tp://www.homemedia.fr/tests-guides/146-GeForce-9300-le-nouvel-IGP-de-reference-pour-HTPC-5.html

Me as well! I hoped to get at least the DisplayPort working in parallel.

Are you sure, that the MSI P7NGM-Digital is supporting Dualview on HDMI and DVI? My French is very bad. Has anyone succesfully tried it?

kleinklausi
post #732 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinklausi View Post

Me as well! I hoped to get at least the DisplayPort working in parallel.

Are you sure, that the MSI P7NGM-Digital is supporting Dualview on HDMI and DVI? My French is very bad. Has anyone succesfully tried it?

kleinklausi

Normaly yes.
In this french review they test it successfully.

But one person who have the gigabyte Ga-e7aum-ds2h tell me that he has the same dualview problem.

So i ask the question in the french forum concerning the msi...?

I wait an answer.

Best regards
post #733 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Normaly yes.
In this french review they test it successfully.

But one person who have the gigabyte Ga-e7aum-ds2h tell me that he has the same dualview problem.

So i ask the question in the french forum concerning the msi...?

I wait an answer.

Best regards

I have the answer.

It's an error in this review, no dual view with hdmi + dvi
post #734 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey all!

HELP!

I just got the motherboard installed into a new case and I am 99% sure I got everything hooked up right and I am getting no BIOS screen. I have tried all outputs VGA, DVI and HDMI. The MB does powerup.

Am I missing something here???
post #735 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favek View Post

Hey all!

HELP!

I just got the motherboard installed into a new case and I am 99% sure I got everything hooked up right and I am getting no BIOS screen. I have tried all outputs VGA, DVI and HDMI. The MB does powerup.

Am I missing something here???

What display do you have it hooked up? While I have no problems with this board and my Panasonic 1080P LCD projector, I was never able to get the BIOS screen on previous motherboards. I would always need to plug in a small LCD monitor whenever I needed to make BIOS adjustment. I'm just so happy now. Sorry that it's not working for you.
post #736 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks, I got it hooked up to a small LCD monitor right now. Nothing comes up, anybody else?
post #737 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I got it hooked up to a small LCD monitor right now. Nothing comes up, anybody else?

Are you using the VGA connector? That would be the most basic setup. You also might try and do a CMOS reset. I don't know the procedure, but I'm sure it's in the manual. Also, when you say it powers up, but no display, is this the first time you've done anything with it?
post #738 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Ya I am just hooking it up tonight. And I got it hooked up to a my wifes Dell 15 inch VGA lcd monitor and no BIOS screen. The board powers up (green light) and everything seems to be working on the surface.

I am looking for the CMOS reset in the manual right now...cant seem to find it.
post #739 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Ya I am just hooking it up tonight. And I got it hooked up to a my wifes Dell 15 inch VGA lcd monitor and no BIOS screen. The board powers up (green light) and everything seems to be working on the surface.

I am looking for the CMOS reset in the manual right now...cant seem to find it.

I'd also try re-seating your RAM, and or moving the slots. Maybe even try just one RAM stick. Do the fans turn on when you hit the power-button?
post #740 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Yup case and CPU fans run fine.

Just cleared the CMOS, didn't do a thing.

Will try RAM now.

Thanks for a the quick responses guys!
post #741 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Nope RAM didn't work either. Maybe the little silver disc battery is dead? Would that cause BIOS not to post?
post #742 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Welp, just took out the battery out of another motherboard laying around the garage and popped it in the Asus, still nothing.

Grr!
post #743 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Welp, just took out the battery out of another motherboard laying around the garage and popped it in the Asus, still nothing.

Grr!

One last thought. Did you plug in the P4 power connector for the CPU?
post #744 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Ya I did, Bond. Thanks for all the help. I think its somehow busted.
post #745 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Ya I did, Bond. Thanks for all the help. I think its somehow busted.

The motherboard came with some screws that would lift it off the case. If any part of the motherboard (well any metal part) is touching your case it won't start up, but your fans will turn on. Double check how you attached it to the case, if you can remove the motherboard from the case and try powering it on outside the case.
post #746 of 1126 Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Good try, it came with two of those brass lift off things. I used those but still no luck. Even have it out sitting on a plastic tray, no BIOS.
post #747 of 1126 Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Hey guys I was just thinking, if the BIOS is not posting, is there anyway to flash the BIOS...or is this a lost cause?
post #748 of 1126 Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM

I thought the HDMI driver was only required for Windows XP. Once you select Vista 32/64 nvidia won't display it as a choice.

I just the the Asus last night and I am having major issues with sleep mode. The computer will turn off, however, most of the time it will not resume from sleep. The fans and drives come back on, but the display stays off. After a soft-reset Windows doesn't normally start, but resumes.

Also, I can not get anything else but stereo via HDMI. Granted, I am using Windows 7, and should maybe try with Vista.

Also: I have two AverMedia 180 cards installed and read that someone had issues with two Hauppauge cards installed.

Maybe I will try with just using one tonight.
post #749 of 1126 Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

I've had more issues with this board then I have with any other board.

My system is hanging, even doing only Internet browsing, with stock settings. I have a downward blowing stock Intel heatsink/fan, so there is air movement over the NB. It's warm (not hot) to the touch, so I don't think it's a heat related issue. It won't power off with the power/reset button, I have to toggle the power supply on/off switch to reboot.

Running with Vista 64 bit.

I've disabled the onboard PATA, onboard NIC, updated the BIOS from 404 to 407.
No effect.
Happens with stock drivers, happens with all updated drivers.

I don't see any events in Vista's event viewer, there is no BSOD or anything, the system hangs and the screen sits there.

Any suggestions?
From perusing this thread, the only thing I haven't done so far is the ACPI 2.0 option.

TODO list once I get home is..
Enabling ACPI 2.0 option, and retesting
If that doesn't work, going to start swapping components (ram, cpu, psu).
Then I'll try Vista 32 / XP / Linux to see if hanging still occurs.

Going to be a fun filled weekend
post #750 of 1126 Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus79m View Post

...I am having major issues with sleep mode. The computer will turn off, however, most of the time it will not resume from sleep. The fans and drives come back on, but the display stays off. After a soft-reset Windows doesn't normally start, but resumes...
Also: I have two AverMedia 180 cards installed and read that someone had issues with two Hauppauge cards installed.
Maybe I will try with just using one tonight.

Yep, try with just one of those AverMedia 180 cards in there and please let us know how it goes. That *should* make Windows resume correctly.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page