post #811 of 1124 Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tord00 View Post

Yes, i got the setting now. Can you hint me on the exact settings you have on your onkyo and you pc relating to playback devices and hardware/settings on your onkyo. You can PM me. Thanks Andy.

I really don't have much modified. I have the HDMI control disabled and such. Pretty much standard after running the Audyssey setup. I have tried most of the options though. Anyway, I'm returning my Onkyo, but it's working fine, only has some quirks with me like the remote where you have to press "receiver" all the time after changing inputs, and little things like that. I'm getting a Harman Kardon AVR 254 because of the features that better suit me, like Dolby Headphone and 1080p upscaling (my monitor doesn't take 1080i in). The deinterlacing in the 606 sucks. I'd heard the scaling is not too hot, but really the deinterlacing, at least of SD content, is horrible.

On my PC, I'm using an ATI 4550 which with the latest Realtek drivers (2.13) is not giving me trouble at all. The Nvidia solutions mix up the rear/side surround channels, and PowerDVD 8 has its own troubles with that too (basically, in HDMI/PCM mode, PowerDVD and Nvidia's mismatching of channels even out, so that combo sounds OK!). I read the ATI/Realtek solution used to have that problem, but they fixed it. Nvidia doesn't update their drivers since October, and it's unlikely that they'll fix this issue (and others like non-continuous sound, which Realtek also fixed) any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1124 Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeters View Post

Hi,

I'm having heartbeat\\handshake problems with my HDMI connection to my YAMAHA RX-V663. The AVR stops giving EDID info. I was wondering if it's possible to use the HDMI output for audio only and use DVI as DVI->HDMI for display? Then I'll get RGB 0-255 plus HD sound, hopefully, and I don't have to get the Gefen HDMI detecive. Thanks on beforehand

Monoprice's DVI doctor is doing it for me. I don't know about the 0-255 issue with Yamahas, but if you have AnyDVD HD you should be good with the DVI Doctor, it's like half the price of the Gefen "plus" solutions. It also passes audio, believe it or not. I have it connected with 2 DVI-HDMI adapters on each end, and it's working beautifully. It doesn't have HDCP though, but as I said with AnyDVD HD it works all right.
post #813 of 1124 Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Monoprice's DVI doctor is doing it for me. I don't know about the 0-255 issue with Yamahas, but if you have AnyDVD HD you should be good with the DVI Doctor, it's like half the price of the Gefen "plus" solutions. It also passes audio, believe it or not. I have it connected with 2 DVI-HDMI adapters on each end, and it's working beautifully. It doesn't have HDCP though, but as I said with AnyDVD HD it works all right.

Hi Andy,

Ok, good to know (DVI DOCTOR), thanks. But is it possible to use the hdmi connection only for sound, that's what I'm really interested in. Just to spread the word: Yamaha AVR's sucks for HTCP usage!
post #814 of 1124 Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 AM

I plan on using this motherboard for my HTPC build. I also plan on using the onboard video. Can someone please tell me... Does this motherboard allocate RAM to use for video memory? If so, how much? Also, if so, does it do this automatically or do you have to set this up in the BIOS or something?

Thanks!
post #815 of 1124 Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my first HTPC (also my first computer) using this motherboard and everything seems to be running fine. The only problem I have is with the sound as I am not able to output 5.1 surround sound (only 2 channels) to my AV Receiver. The questions I have are as follows:
• Is the onboard sound card capable of outputing 5.1 or 7.1 surrond sound for movies & games or do I need to intall a separate sound card? If it is possible to get 5.1 surround sound from the onboard sound card, where are the settings to enable it as I don’t see it?
• Why are there two devices (NVIDIA High Definition Audio & Realtek High Definition Audio) under “Sound, video and game controllers” in Device Manager? Which one is the onboard sound card? If I install a separate sound card, do I need to disable or uninstall both of these devices first?
• Is the ExpressGate feature worthwhile and why it is not included in the driver CD?

I am currently running Vista 32 bits.

Thanks in advance
post #816 of 1124 Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkapl View Post

• Is the ExpressGate feature worthwhile and why it is not included in the driver CD?

I don't think ExpressGate is a worthwhile feature for a HTPC. I have it on my Asus laptop and find it useful when I'm "on the go" and have the need to boot up very quickly to have basic fedatures such as internet acces to check e-mail and so forth.
post #817 of 1124 Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Also, you'll probably find this link informative:
http://www.bigbruin.com/2009/asusp5n7a_5
post #818 of 1124 Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks stealle for the info on ExpressGate. Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions on the 5.1 sound issue?
post #819 of 1124 Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Hi
Does anybody know how to fix this:
When I turn on my HTPC and I have not yet switched my receiver to HTPC, I get no output on the HDMI port.
In other words, if the mother board does not see something on the HDMI port during power up or wake from sleep it does not output a signal to the port.
I actually have to turn off the HTPC or put it in sleep mode, switch the receiver to HTPC (so it routes the signal to my TV) and then everthing works fine!

Anybody having the same problem?
post #820 of 1124 Old 02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Sorry for this third post, I just wanna say, I've had some of the trouble you guys had too, but I resolved ALL but one of them.

The freaking side / rear surrounds mixup in 7.1 HDMI!

Why have only a couple of people mentioned this? Are most of you guys not using 7.1 over HDMI to your receivers? It's just what it says. In 7.1 HDMI mode, rears are played by the sides, and vice versa. Do the Vista test. If it's too quick for the sounds to come out (because of the silent lag), just play an mp3 in the background, and turn down the volume of your player. That'll keep the HDMI audio open while you test. I also have a laptop with the 9200m GS card, and it does the exact same thing. It uses the same Nvidia HDMI drivers the (.37 ones, but also tried with .23 and .33)

I have noticed two curious things about this. PowerDVD 8 Ultra, when selecting "Use HDMI" from the audio options, seems to bypass channel assignment from the driver, so it outputs correctly the 7.1 channels. When selecting "8 speakers", though, it just mixes it up, as per the Vista test, probably following the driver's orders. The other thing is under TotalMedia Theatre build 128. Here, when selecting 7.1 channels, it actually outputs correctly, but it's just because TMT does reverse the channels again. It's a double-reversion. They probably have tested it like this. That's why some people with other setups say TMT mixes up the surround channels for them. But not for us Nvidia HDMI users!

By the way, the fix for the 2-channel lock, not giving you the multichannel option, that did it for me (idiot me, I was tinkering with the Onkyo SR606 settings inadvertently), is that you should NOT set up your receiver to pass audio to the TV. On the Onkyos, there's a HDMI option in the menu that lets you do that. When you pass audio to your TV's speakers, the TV's EDID is read by your PC, hence no multichannel. I don't know if this is the fix for all of you, but I bet some of you are having this problem. Who needs to turn on the receiver for some late night talk show viewing, right?

I'm using an Onkyo 875. In PDVD7 build 4617, I cannot select HDMI for some reason, otherwise it locks up PDVD altogether. The only way around this for me is to use 8 speaker setup and it seems fine. I haven't experienced any other issues besides this so far...
post #821 of 1124 Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:

By the way, the fix for the 2-channel lock, not giving you the multichannel option, that did it for me (idiot me, I was tinkering with the Onkyo SR606 settings inadvertently), is that you should NOT set up your receiver to pass audio to the TV. On the Onkyos, there's a HDMI option in the menu that lets you do that. When you pass audio to your TV's speakers, the TV's EDID is read by your PC, hence no multichannel. I don't know if this is the fix for all of you, but I bet some of you are having this problem. Who needs to turn on the receiver for some late night talk show viewing, right?

The above doesn't apply to me as I route the video directly to my HDTV via HDMI and just the audio to my AV receiver via optical. Does anyone know why I am not getting 5.1 surround sound using this setup?
post #822 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satzinger View Post

Hi
When I turn on my HTPC and I have not yet switched my receiver to HTPC, I get no output on the HDMI port.
In other words, if the mother board does not see something on the HDMI port during power up or wake from sleep it does not output a signal to the port.
I actually have to turn off the HTPC or put it in sleep mode, switch the receiver to HTPC (so it routes the signal to my TV) and then everthing works fine!

Yes! Very irritating indeed. This is not related to motherboard, but your receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V663 and have the same problem. You could buy a HDMI\\DVI doctor which gives a constant EDID signal to the PC. Personally I'm hoping to be able to use HDMI output for audio only, and the DVI for display. Anybody know if this is possible? PLEASE
post #823 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my first HTPC (also my first computer) using this motherboard and everything seems to be running fine. The only problem I have is with the sound as I am not able to output 5.1 surround sound (only 2 channels) to my AV Receiver. The questions I have are as follows:
Is the onboard sound card capable of outputing 5.1 or 7.1 surrond sound for movies & games or do I need to intall a separate sound card? If it is possible to get 5.1 surround sound from the onboard sound card, where are the settings to enable it as I don't see it?
Why are there two devices (NVIDIA High Definition Audio & Realtek High Definition Audio) under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager? Which one is the onboard sound card? If I install a separate sound card, do I need to disable or uninstall both of these devices first?
Is the ExpressGate feature worthwhile and why it is not included in the driver CD?

I am currently running Vista 32 bits.

Thanks in advance

Don't bother installing the Realtek Driver and install the Nvidia HD Sound driver. Go to your control panel and click on the "sound" icon. Note, you should connect your HDMI to your reciever and verify that there is no handshake problem. Meaning, you should turn on your reciever first then your HTPC while connected. This will enable you to select the "Nvidia HD Audio" and set that to default. The Nvidia one is the one you want to select. Then go into the settings and and configure #of speakers and test things out from there.

The onboard sound is capable of 192KHz 7.1 channel LPCM over HDMI. This is verified on my Denon 889. Note that if you have OEM PowerDVD 7.xx and trying to play commercial Blu-ray discs, powercrapdvd will downgrade the sound to 48KHz 7.1/5.1, then your onboard sound will upmix it back to 192 (which is dumb).

ExpressGate - worthless piece of junk for HTPCs.
post #824 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeters View Post

Yes! Very irritating indeed. This is not related to motherboard, but your receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V663 and have the same problem. You could buy a HDMI\\DVI doctor which gives a constant EDID signal to the PC. Personally I'm hoping to be able to use HDMI output for audio only, and the DVI for display. Anybody know if this is possible? PLEASE

Note that while you may be able to display your desktop in 1920x1080 over DVI, you won't be able to do it when you play HDCP contents such as Bluray and HDDVD in 1080p res over DVI. This is a limitation on DVI HDCP for this mobo. I think the max resolution for HDCP content over DVI is something like 1600x1200 or so? And also, you won't be able to use HDMI connection if you chose to use DVI. You can do TOSLINK/Coax + DVI though.
post #825 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Can anyone help me with their Speedfan settings for this MB? There are three headers on this board, and I can only control one (CHA_FAN on MB, "Sys" in Speedfan).

I've experimented with "Manual PWM Control" etc, but I can't get the other two to respond to Speedfan request.

CPU0/CPU1 in Speedfan, CPU/PWR on MB
post #826 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealle View Post

I plan on using this motherboard for my HTPC build. I also plan on using the onboard video. Can someone please tell me... Does this motherboard allocate RAM to use for video memory? If so, how much? Also, if so, does it do this automatically or do you have to set this up in the BIOS or something?

Thanks!

Part of your system RAM will be allocated for Video RAM. I believe it is set automatically. I think the default is 256MB. Dont remember if you can increase it in the BIOS - most likely you can. (Not like it matters anyway it's still crap for games).
post #827 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

I'm using an Onkyo 875. In PDVD7 build 4617, I cannot select HDMI for some reason, otherwise it locks up PDVD altogether. The only way around this for me is to use 8 speaker setup and it seems fine. I haven't experienced any other issues besides this so far...

Are you using Vista? If you are, can you go to the sound panel, and the select your Nvidia HDMI device and click "configure". Run that test in 7.1 surround and see if your rears and sides are properly mapped. If they are, I'd be interested to know which Nvidia HDMI driver you have?

Another problem is that there's no continuous sounds. Ati recently fixed this, it seems. I am now running an Ati 4550 with no problems whatsoever with PCM multichannel audio, and to boot it supports more sampling frequencies, and has more tweaks, than the 9300 I had. I am still using a laptop with the 9200m chip, so I'm still interested in this stuff being fixed by Nvidia.
post #828 of 1124 Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks dubbo07 for the reply.

I have an older Pioneer AV receiver without HDMI inputs, so I am running the digital optical (spdif) output from the motherboard to the digital optical input of the AV receiver for sound, and for video, I am running the HDMI output from the motherboard directly to the TV. Given my setup, would your suggestion still work?
post #829 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks dubbo07 for the reply.

I have an older Pioneer AV receiver without HDMI inputs, so I am running the digital optical (spdif) output from the motherboard to the digital optical input of the AV receiver for sound, and for video, I am running the HDMI output from the motherboard directly to the TV. Given my setup, would your suggestion still work?

That should work. You just gotta go set your sound to output to spdif at 5.1 in the control panel. For your display, select the HDMI output in the display property.
post #830 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks again dubbo07.

I'll give it a try tonight. Also, can you get 5.1 surround sound for games using the onboard sound card?
post #831 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM

As no MCP7A ATX will be available in my country (and most of the european continent), I will choose a uATX (and Asus is one of the options). But now, my main concern is whether I can use a PCIe x1 in the PCIe x16 slot, or it is reserved for a graphics card.

Did anyone try it?
post #832 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbo07 View Post

That should work. You just gotta go set your sound to output to spdif at 5.1 in the control panel. For your display, select the HDMI output in the display property.

No go. There is no 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound option available, only 2 channels. I even try disabling the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device instead and the same thing, only 2 channels. Any other ideas?
post #833 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM

I put together a HTPC with the P5N7A-VM a few weeks ago:

Asus P5N7A-VM
4GB RAM
E5200 CPU
WD SATA 650GB HDD
Corsair 400W PSU
Recycled case
Cooler Master GeminII S CPU heat sink
LG Blu-Ray Drive (GBC-H20LI)
Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro USB
Windows 7 Beta x64

With the above config I have had no problems what so ever. I purchased PowerDVD8 Ultra and I'm able to pass DTS/Dolby 5.1 to my geriatric receiver via S/PDIF. Blu-Ray playback is smooth and so is the OTA TV. I have also connected the computer directly to my TV via HDMI and found that to work as well. Additionally I installed SpeedFan to keep the GeminII S under control and after some considerable time spent figuring it out I had the guy add the board to the site and I uploaded my config to the SpeedFan website if anyone is interested (my config is using only 2 fans - CPU and rear case).

I also removed the GPU heat sink and replaced the crappy thermal paste with some ArcticS5. That combined with the GeminII S airflow keeps the GPU at about 44c while watching a Blu-Ray with HD decode on.

It was a painless simple process in the end. Which is not the experience I thought I would be in for after reading this forum. Just thought I would chime in to let people know that this board is not all bad.
post #834 of 1124 Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 PM

ryleyinstl,

How are you able to output 5.1 to your AV receiver via S/PDIF? Are you using NVIDIA High Definition Audio or Realtek High Definition Audio or both? If you are only using one of the sound devices, do you have to disable the other? Do you get 5.1 when you play games?
post #835 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:

ryleyinstl,

How are you able to output 5.1 to your AV receiver via S/PDIF? Are you using NVIDIA High Definition Audio or Realtek High Definition Audio or both? If you are only using one of the sound devices, do you have to disable the other? Do you get 5.1 when you play games?

If you are not planning to use the HDMI for audio, you should uninstall the Nivida driver and install the Realtek drivers.
post #836 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 04:59 AM

I'm using the Realtek Digital Output (optical) device and connecting the computer to my receiver via S/PDIF. It's worth noting that in the advanced tab of the playback properties I only show 2 channel availability in the drop down list but I'm still able to get true 5.1 output to the receiver (both DTS and DD). If I hit the test button for DTS and DD under the supported formats tab I get output to all 5.1 channels.

I'm not sure why Windows shows only 2 channels available but yet still gives me 5.1. I thought it was busted until I tried it.

Games I have know idea about, don't play those.

I should mention that this is all when using PowerDVD8 to play Blu-Ray and DVD.
post #837 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

I put together a HTPC with the P5N7A-VM a few weeks ago:

Asus P5N7A-VM
4GB RAM
E5200 CPU
WD SATA 650GB HDD
Corsair 400W PSU
Recycled case
Cooler Master GeminII S CPU heat sink
Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro USB
Windows 7 Beta x64

With the above config I have had no problems what so ever. I purchased PowerDVD8 Ultra and I'm able to pass DTS/Dolby 5.1 to my geriatric receiver via S/PDIF. Blu-Ray playback is smooth and so is the OTA TV. I have also connected the computer directly to my TV via HDMI and found that to work as well. Additionally I installed SpeedFan to keep the GeminII S under control and after some considerable time spent figuring it out I had the guy add the board to the site and I uploaded my config to the SpeedFan website if anyone is interested (my config is using only 2 fans - CPU and rear case).

I also removed the GPU heat sink and replaced the crappy thermal paste with some ArcticS5. That combined with the GeminII S airflow keeps the GPU at about 44c while watching a Blu-Ray with HD decode on.

It was a painless simple process in the end. Which is not the experience I thought I would be in for after reading this forum. Just thought I would chime in to let people know that this board is not all bad.

My setup:

P5n7a-VM
Quadcore Q9400 (Left-over from going i7)
2x2GB Crucial ballistixs DDR-2 800 (Left-over from going DDR3)
1TB Seagate SATAII HDD
Antec Minuet (350W PSU), 350W is plenty
Vista HP 64bit
SiliconDust HDHomerun HDTV Tuner running on the network (Amp Antenna with splitter into both tuners).

Took me about 30min to assemble. I do not have overheating issues using stock HSF for CPU and stock cooling block for NB.

I also have little to no issues setting this up. The computer wakes from sleep everytime. There is a problem with the audio not syncing all the time with my denon-avr889 when it wakes and requires a reboot sometimes. I'm a bit annoyed with this (probably due to EDID/HDCP over HDMI with the AVR), but i'm okay as long as the computer wakes up to record all the shows I've schedule - which havent failed on me yet.

Blu-ray playback in PDVD (OEM with LG Drive) played with no slow downs and 24HZ is easily selectable.

Overall, I think it's better than X4500HD and 780G/790GX offerings. I do hate that nVidia cannot build a decent memory controller. You will see some performance drop in memory over Intel's offering, but to me it doesn't matter since I won't be gaming much on the 9300.
post #838 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks guys for all your help. With the flakiness of the sound device on this motherboard, I have decided to get a separate sound card as well as a separate video card for better gaming. Wish me luck.
post #839 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Ok, before I bought this board I read numerous reviews, all 28 pages of this thread and did my homework.

Now that I have the board setup and running as an HTPC, here is my conclusion. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about this setup...

ASUS P5N7A-VM conclusion:

- This is a great board. Runs solid and plays all my H.264 content w/out hiccups.

- CPU cores are around 20-40c

- Can't get Speedfan to control all three fan headers. Best I can get is one fan header.
- GPU does run hot. Prime95= ~70 w/CPU fan on. Upwards of 80C+ if fan left off. Running the two case 120mms (20db) and the CPU fan at 50% gives me ~60C w/no noise.

-- Since the GPU is right next to the CPU, the fan for the Scythe cooler (mounted on side) is directly above the GPU with a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the fan and GPU heatsink. While I thought it would initially block heat output, the fan makes up for it by pushing the GPU heat through the Scythe.

- Digital audio output is a pain, but I have an older non-DTS (AC3 only) decoder and getting sync is a pain with everything. I didn't go through the permutations to try and find the right config. Solution? 3.5" jack => RCA outputs directly into my pre-amp. No more "Is this playing in 2.0 or 5.1?"

Having the analog pre-outs adds some future-proofing as I don't know what receiver I'll get in the future, or what codecs will be supported. This motherboard/case gives me the space to add the Asus Xonar card for TrueHD support (when it comes out)

Next step:
- Put AS5 on GPU and see how that goes.
- Order 4 pin CPU fan (PWM) because the Scythe cooler is 3-pin. This might be part of my Speedfan issues, but that is still only 2/3 fans.

Setup:
- Antec Fusion Remote silver
- Hauppage 1800 HDTV card
- Intel C2D Wolfgang 2.8GHZ
- Scythe Mini Ninja (yes it fits in this case)
- 2GB DDR2 800 G.Skill RAM
- LG BluRay HDDVD drive
post #840 of 1124 Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by satzinger View Post

Hi

See this post (for one workaround using AutoHotkey):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15203418

If you do a custom resolution, you may also see it wake up at 800x600 (can be fixed with same workaround):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15211422
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page