*Official* Asus P5N7A-VM uATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1126 Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I just purchased this board from Newegg because it had two features I wanted. Onboard video for bluray playback and HDMI out. Plus it had good reviews.

Now here I am reading all these problems with drivers for video and flickering and Dolby Digital output problems. Do I dare even try with this thing??

I currently have a ASUS P5G43T-M Pro. Should I just buy an addon video card to aid with the jerky Bluray playback? The P5G43T doesn't handle Bluray very well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1126 Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgraer View Post

Hi, I'm sure this topic has been covered to death... But i have yet to find a solid answer.

I hope someone here can take the time to explain how to get DTS/DD audio out of this motherboards HDMI port.

I'm running win7x64, I have the latest Nvidia drivers including the HD1.00051 audio driver. HDMI 2.0 works fine... but no DTS/DD

I have no option to select DTS/DD in options... only S/PDIF offers DTS/DD. Using S/PDIF isn't an option for me... I would like to passthru using HDMI

Could someone tell me how this is done... from what I've read in this forum some users have been able to achieve this.

I also have k-lite audio codec installed... and set for 5.1 audio. and use XBMC as my media player

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you

There is a setting in the BIOS under the 'Advanced' tab, 'OnBoard Devices Configuration' section that is called "SPDIF Mode Setting." I *do not* know if this will work for you as I use the SPDIF output via the SPDIF Optical Output connector. The setting options are: [SPDIF Output] (default) and [HDMI Output]. I hope this helps.
post #1113 of 1126 Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post

I'm using the stock chipset heatsink on my Asus. But I reseated it with new thermal goo, removed the stupid cover that restricts airflow and clamped a silent ~60mm fan from an old Intel CPU cooler on there. No heat problems.

Weiman, approximately what temperature are you achieving with this setup? Also, did you compare temps between with the cover on and with it off? If so, what were your results (if you can remember)?
post #1114 of 1126 Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinx View Post

Try using these display drivers below if you're having any kind of artifacting/flickering issues with this board and Vista/Windows 7

I used 178.24

Just want to give a big thank you for this driver version info. I was having terrible flickering and screen drop outs trying to route the HDMI output through my new Sony STR-DA5600ES receiver using the latest Nvidia 260.99 drivers and Win 7 64 bit. Tried the older 178.24 driver and it now works exactly as it should.
post #1115 of 1126 Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 AM

Got this board from newegg, dropped in a spare e7300 with 4 GB ram. Installed Ubuntu 10.04 x64 + xbmc, hdmi video + optical audio = perfection.

Does 1080p with both cpu cores barely touching 5%, cores never goes above 35C. GPU never goes above 47C.

awesome.
post #1116 of 1126 Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montebello13 View Post

Got this board from newegg, dropped in a spare e7300 with 4 GB ram. Installed Ubuntu 10.04 x64 + xbmc, hdmi video + optical audio = perfection.

Does 1080p with both cpu cores barely touching 5%, cores never goes above 35C. GPU never goes above 47C.

awesome.

That is pretty much what I have been running for a couple of years now: E7200 with 2Gb ram for MythTV on Fedora. 1080p is flawless with VDPAU. Some 1080i content less so since the advanced deinterlacers aren't supported.
post #1117 of 1126 Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM

sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it using the search.

Using this mb and TMT 5 my avr is showing pcm, but how do I know if this is the lossless hd audio (DTS MA, True HD, etc)?

Is there a program or something within a program that tells you the audio output?

thanks,
pete
post #1118 of 1126 Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 AM

As an aside, I have been using this board for my HTPC for quite some time now. Nearly since it came out.

One interesting problem I've had in recent months.

After a while of being in use, or even being asleep, the system will drop the hdds.

It never drops the SSD that the OS is running from, only the 2TB hdd's (previously it was 1TB hdd's, same issue) that I use for TV recording.

Specs of system if they matter:

Antec Fusion HTPC case
Enermax 550w modular PSU
Bluray/DVD-RW ODD
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD boot drive
2x Seagate 5900rpm 2TB hdd's
Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard w/ 0519 BIOS
Sapphire HD5450 video card
Ceton Quad-tuner Cablecard adapter
Q6600 CPU w/ Zalman HSF
8GB DDR2-800 RAM

nVidia needs to remember what a hard launch is and apply it to what's left of their motherboard chipset department. That is all.
post #1119 of 1126 Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys - as one of the initial users of this board way back 3 years ago, wanted to give my final assessment of it as i move on to an ITX setup:

Good:
+ Able to readily overclock/undervolt with ease
+ Rock solid performance over the past 3 years***
+ GeForce 9300 excellent for HTPC usage, especially 24p playback
+ 6 SATA connectors w/ RAID works great!
+ Easy fan control though SMARTFAN

Bad:
- ***NForce 9300 chipset gets hot easily. Requires some active cooling against it, otherwise can lock up system.
- Audio could be painful to setup (HDMI and SPIDF)
- Lack of continued driver support from nVidia

Ugly:
- Early hiccups in BIOS (seemed to be Beta release initially). As i learned, once you have a good BIOS that suits your needs, don't change it!

Summary: Great, reliable motherboard overall from Asus. nForce 9300 seemed rush from nVidia accounting for some of the hiccups in BIOS and cooling requirements. Overall driver support had a lot to be desired. Still sets the precedent for a small HTPC / File Server setup till today...

polkaudio + ONKYO : =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1120 of 1126 Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM

I have a few questions about the RAID/HDD setup that I want to do with the P5N7A-VM, particularly because I want to know if it will work at all. I want to have Windows installed onto a 120GB SSD, and I want to have a 3 drive RAID 5 for my general data storage. I understand that the black SATA ports are on a separate controller from the red ones, though, and unlike the red ones they are currently not showing up in the BIOS like the red ones do. Since they're on a different controller, as I understand it they can't be used as part of a RAID with the red ones, and since I need 3 HDDs for Raid 5 that means I won't be able to use the black SATA ports for RAID 5, correct?

So, let's cut to the chase-- is it possible to boot Windows 7 from one of the black SATA ports? I would assume that this all hinges on making the black Sata ports appear in the BIOS, and I'm not yet sure if that's even possible. If there's no way to boot from the black sata ports, then the only way to make my desired setup work will be to run the a cable from the ESATA port to the inside of my computer so that I can connect it to either the windows SSD or one of the RAID drives. I'm not very keen on that idea, because it seems like it would be a not-so-secure solution in addition to being ugly, but if I can't boot windows from one of the black SATA ports I don't really know what other option I'd have.

Also, I'd like to add a Blu-Ray drive to my setup at some point, but I'm pretty sure that's only going to happen if I can connect it to one of the black Sata ports (my current DVD burner is connected via the IDE port, and all the Blu-Ray drives I'd want are SATA). If anyone can comment on that too, I'd appreciate it.

It's at times like these where I often ask myself "why did I drop $200 on an old Core2 Extreme, and not just buy a new mobo and CPU upgrade combo from Newegg?" Even so, I'm hoping to get as much mileage out of this mobo as I can, so any help making this rig work is appreciated!
post #1121 of 1126 Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 AM

Have anyone goten this motherboad to function 100% With Windows 8?
post #1122 of 1126 Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Haha! I made it work! Had some troubles to install the hdmi audio driver. But i made it work by going to Nvidia.com, choose drivers, Select GeForce drivers, GeForce 9-series, Windows 8 64 bit and it produced this link:
http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/314.07/314.07-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

Installed everything and it worked. Had to change from SPDIF to HDMI as default. I tried the hdmi audio driver found on nvidia under nforce 730i/GeForce 9300 earlier. But that wouldn't work.

Windows 8 looks very nice on a 55" tv btw! cool.gif
post #1123 of 1126 Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone had any luck installing a discrete video card for this motherboard? I just purchased a EVGA Geforce GT 610 for this board so that i could have TrueHD audio for my media files. When i try and disable the onboard video and set PCIE as default, i never get a picture. I still get picture out of the on board video even though the card fan is running. My power supply is a coolmax cm-300. Does anyone know if this could be my board? Or does this mean the power supply needs to be larger?

Theater Build thread
post #1124 of 1126 Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 PM

Tested and Working perfectly on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

TIPS:

Use the HD Audio driver from the NVIDIA Website. - This is not included in the NFORCE Drivers for this board.

SPDIF Audio Setting in the BIOS set to SPDIF - The HDMI Output on the Display will use passthrough thus making the AMPLIFIER your sound card.

Set AMPLIFIER HDMI Settings to AMP and not TV + AMP, some amplifiers will incorrectly pass the 2 Channel Display Audio to the HDMI.

Use the latest GFORCE Drivers for the Display after installing the NFORCE Drivers.

For a nice little guide from NVIDIA, go to the PUREVIEW HD Site, there is a complete guide there on how to setup a HTPC using the GEFORCE 9300/9400 boards.

Hope this helps someone.

post #1125 of 1126 Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
In the hopes that anyone is still using this board, I have a question - I've now started losing all BIOS settings when the pc is completely shut down and power disconnected. When I power back up I see a BIOS error message and have to setup all the settings again. This is quite dangerous obviously as SATA mode has to be set to AHCI, boot device priorities etc.

I don't recall this happening before, can it be the CMOS battery that's bad? This board is in a Antec Fusion 430 case (the one with LCD on front) and as long as power is connected it stays lit which is very distracting.
post #1126 of 1126 Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
In the hopes that anyone is still using this board, I have a question - I've now started losing all BIOS settings when the pc is completely shut down and power disconnected. When I power back up I see a BIOS error message and have to setup all the settings again. This is quite dangerous obviously as SATA mode has to be set to AHCI, boot device priorities etc.

I don't recall this happening before, can it be the CMOS battery that's bad? This board is in a Antec Fusion 430 case (the one with LCD on front) and as long as power is connected it stays lit which is very distracting.
That is exactly the how a dead CMOS battery behaves. This board is easily old enough to have a dead one.

I have one of these boards in that same case. Nice combo that has been running for years. My battery may be dead, but it's running on a UPS and hasn't been without power for a couple of years.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asus P5n7a Vm Core 2 Quad Geforce 9300 Fsb 1333 Hybrid Sli Hdmi A V Gbe Matx Motherboard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page