Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been using Windows 7 64-bit Build 6801 (CTP) for a few days. The software is called a pre-beta. It has been working very nicely on my Dell E1505 notebook, C2D 1.6Ghz, 1GB, 200GB 7200RPM. I've only found these issues -- so far.

* Can't install Windows 7 side-by-side with Vista. You either have to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 or install Windows 7 new.

* You can't boot an OS from VHD from the metal. VHD can only boot from hypervisor.

* Installing Slysoft's VirtualCloneDrive will cause the taskbar to behave irradically. Uninstalling fixes the condition.

* FireFox 3.03 with Foxmarks add-in seems to cause bookmarks to disappear. This may or may not be Windows 7 related.

* Couldn't get ArcSoft Home Theater (v125) to startup. This may or may not be Windows 7 related.

There have been no instabilities, no BSODs. All drivers came from the install DVD. No additional drivers have been necessary. All other software seems to work well. Haven't tried many HTPC apps (Cyberlink) though.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Interesting, it seems Win 7 at this early stage is quite stable. Did you go to PDC ? I also have the PDC build and can try it out but don't have a spare pc to do it on.

Does the build include the new Media Center in Win 7? Please report back on the builtin h264 and AAC codecs also, thanks.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

* Installing Slysoft's VirtualCloneDrive will cause the taskbar to behave irradically. Uninstalling fixes the condition.

Didn't they do away with the Task tray notification area? I would think that would cause a lot of incompatibility for programs that require you to access it there.

~Jay
post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post

Didn't they do away with the Task tray notification area? I would think that would cause a lot of incompatibility for programs that require you to access it there.

~Jay

No, it has just been made more customizable, and apps can no longer install themselves in the tray if the user doesn't want them to.

As you said, doing away with the tray would break a LOT of apps
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 AM

I had similar experiences with 32 bit Win 7 as the OP.

I had to rebuild my laptop recently as well and gave the 7801 build a spin. Virtual Clone Drive would not work for me either. Also, Daemon Tools would not finish installing.

The installer would get part of the way through and tell me to reboot. Once I rebooted the installer did not restart manually so I kicked it off myself. The same thing happened, the installer got to the same spot during the install and told me I needed to reboot.

Are there any other quality, free vista compatible iso mounting utils out there?

If you mount directories as an iso to play movies, Win 7 isn't ready for testing yet (unsurprisingly) unless someone finds another iso mounting app...

On the plus side, it was quite stable. No BSODs for the couple of days I was running it.

It didn't seem sluggish or slow... Not anymore than Vista is normally on my laptop (Dell D620 3gb ram) anyhow.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM

anybody using mymovies on windows 7 yet?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

there IS an official Microsoft iso mounting tool, you know...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page