post #31 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Is that while you are playing your file? It should show "6" channels in the speaker config box, with each channel coming out of only one speaker.

And your one channel config looks wrong anyway. if you really have a mono source I would only have left and right ticked or maybe left, right and center.

Sorry, this is what it looks like when I'm playing a movie....

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, you have got me! Assuming the audio track itself does not have the same on all channels (you say you have played this file in another player right?), it looks like something outside of MPC-HC is remixing the audio

Try installing AC3filter (if you have not already) and forcing that to load after the Audio switcher. That will show you want is coming in on each channel.
post #33 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Favelle, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have the same question that you asked originally. Instead of asking in another post, I will add to this one. I hope you don't mind.

Without hardware acceleration, what is the minimum CPU (AMD or Intel) to play HD/1080p mkv files? Will an AMD Phenom X3 8650 be enough?

My impression is that software decoding of HD mkv files depend on the power of a single core. Currently, there is no decoder that takes advantage of multi-core CPU.
post #34 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, you have got me! Assuming the audio track itself does not have the same on all channels (you say you have played this file in another player right?), it looks like something outside of MPC-HC is remixing the audio

Try installing AC3filter (if you have not already) and forcing that to load after the Audio switcher. That will show you want is coming in on each channel.

VLC gives me 5.1 discrete sound with this file, both MP11 and MPC-HD do not now! Does it have anything to do with HA? Because both MP11 and MPC-HD run smooth as butter and VLC is choppy as hell. But at least VLC has 5.1 sound.

How do I run AC3 filter?

post #35 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

No, it has nothing to do with HA. Just download and install AC3Filter that should be enough. You may need to "prefer" it in the MPC-HC "external filters" list. AC3Filter is not likely to fix anything but it may help in troubleshooting.

Another thing, what are the filters listed if you "right-click" and select filters from the drop down menu.
post #36 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it has nothing to do with HA. Just download and install AC3Filter that should be enough. You may need to "prefer" it in the MPC-HC "external filters" list. AC3Filter is not likely to fix anything but it may help in troubleshooting.

Another thing, what are the filters listed if you "right-click" and select filters from the drop down menu.

This is what I get for my filters:

post #37 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And this is my AC3 filter settings...

post #38 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm stuck! Very odd.

When you play the movie do the "input level" bars on the AC3 Filter screen look like the same sound is coming out of all of them? I.e. do they all move up and down together? And the "output level"?

If they do it seems like the MPC-HC DTS decoder is getting confused. What is the soundtrack? Is it a DTS-HD track? If that is the case then MPC-HC is having to decode the core and maybe that is the problem. Have you got the latest non-beta MPC-HC (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...up_id=170561)? If you have, then even try a newer beta. Also it might be worth trying setting ffdshow audio decoder to "prefer" in MPC-HC external filters, turning off DTS decoding in MPC-HC, by unticking DTS in the internal filters and setting ffdshow to decode DTS. I have never used ffdshow for DTS; I have heard there are or at least were problems with its DTS decoding. But it might be worth a try, even if just for troubleshooting.
post #39 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I'm stuck! Very odd.

When you play the movie do the "input level" bars on the AC3 Filter screen look like the same sound is coming out of all of them? I.e. do they all move up and down together? And the "output level"?

Nope. Only the Front L & R move.

post #40 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well that says you have only stereo being decoded. Do you have some kind of upmix, Dolby Prologic or equivalent, going on in your audio card drivers?

Why you are getting stereo out only I really do not know. Try using the ffdhow decoder as I suggested and try some different files and see if they are OK.
post #41 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Silly me. AC3Filter can decode DTS. So try that. Disable DTS decoding in MPC-HC (set it for s/pdif) then make sure DTS is ticked on the AC3Filter system tab. What happens now? What shows on the input and output graphs in AC3Filter.
post #42 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Without hardware acceleration, what is the minimum CPU (AMD or Intel) to play HD/1080p mkv files? Will an AMD Phenom X3 8650 be enough?

Yes it will be just fine ....video codecs are almost all optimized for parallel processing.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #43 of 51 Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Liked: 10
720p h264 MKV file "CANAAN"

all using windows XP, windows media player with ffdshow decoder

CPU: 1.0GHz Athlon
GPU: Radeon VE 7000 (circa 2001)
***720p VERY SLOW framerate. UNWATCHABLE***

CPU: 2.6GHz P4 based Celeron (2.6GHz Northwood core)
GPU: intel integrated 845G
***720p kinda choppy, video way too slow for audio, and audio is choppy***

CPU: 2.8GHz P4 (Northwood core)
GPU: intel integrated 865G (one generation newer than the above GPU)
***720p minor slow down in places, some sections are in sync, ALMOST watchable***

CPU: 2.0GHz Athlon64 3200+ (single Venice core, socket 939, 2.0GHz)
GPU: integrated GeForce 6100
***720p plays fine, very watchable***
post #44 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post

Ok, so is there an example somewhere of how to do a simple rip with either lossless to flac or 5.1 to pcm?

Let's make it simple with something everyone has. I have Transformers on Blu. The original. My current receiver is connected via optical, and my new one (arriving mon or tue) is a V765 and will do anything.

What steps do I take to rip this thing to MKV real simple like, and just have it work?

I tried this some time ago, I forget what movie I tried with, but I was using VLC for a player. My experience with it was such that I gave up. But, since I am beginning to purchase BR discs in earnest now, (7 in the last week), I think I need a way to keep these without using uber amounts of disk.

The file I created then was huge, like 30GB, but the video quality was less than dvd. I have no idea what I did wrong, and I know it's not my system.

Any help appreciated. Especially a step by step example to learn from would be nice. I think the guide assumes a lot, and would benefit from having some total newbs go through it and point out missing info and such. Sort of a chicken / egg deal.

TIA

Guide is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

It's quite easy to do though at first it looks overwhelming. For your transformers movie you use eac3to to rip it. I use the hdbrstreamextractor gui for it(whatever it's called). You select the video and choose mkv, the HD audio track and choose flac. Hit start. When it's done you use mkvmerge to take both the video and audio and put it in an mkv. Done.

The file size will be large. This is a straight up rip with no quality loss anywhere.
You can re-encode it to save space if you wish. That guide has directions how using megui. I use ripbot for my kids movies but movies like transformers I leave as is.

You also don't use VLC. If you want a stand alone player use MPC-HC. Though it is quite easy to get these to play directly in media center.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #45 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelik View Post

Favelle, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have the same question that you asked originally. Instead of asking in another post, I will add to this one. I hope you don't mind.

My impression is that software decoding of HD mkv files depend on the power of a single core. Currently, there is no decoder that takes advantage of multi-core CPU.

I have a X2 3800+ 2.0ghz stock overclocked to 2.4ghz. I am able to JUST play m2ts blue ray files, which are MUCH higher bitrate than your typical mkv 1080p files, using only software decoding, coreavc in my case. coreavc can use multi core, and I believe so can the free divx 7 decoder, as well as ffdshow MT (multi threaded). I don't know if it'll use 3 cores, but 2 for sure. So I think you'll be fine. Of course if you have a GPU with hardware decoding, then it's not even an issue, except for getting hardware decoding to work
post #46 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sorry, I deleted my post cause I was going to go start another thread rather than hijack this one. Thanks for the response, you must have begun real fast after I posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Guide is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

It's quite easy to do though at first it looks overwhelming. For your transformers movie you use eac3to to rip it.

To rip it to what? Iso?

Quote:

I use the hdbrstreamextractor gui for it(whatever it's called).

Do you mean you use hdbrstreamextractor.gui instead of eac3to?

Quote:

You select the video and choose mkv, the HD audio track and choose flac. Hit start. When it's done you use mkvmerge to take both the video and audio and put it in an mkv. Done.

In my first attempt, I did get to a MKV, but something went badly wrong.

Quote:

The file size will be large. This is a straight up rip with no quality loss anywhere.
You can re-encode it to save space if you wish. That guide has directions how using megui. I use ripbot for my kids movies but movies like transformers I leave as is.

My first attempt didn't save much space. It's been months and I just searched and can't find the old MKV, I must have deleted it. Saving space is a major concern for me. Well, not really but if I can't save space, I have no reason to go through this since I can play all my stuff flawlessly now. With so many people saying mkv is the way to go, I wanted to try it anyhow.

Quote:

You also don't use VLC. If you want a stand alone player use MPC-HC. Though it is quite easy to get these to play directly in media center.

I just have XP on my HTPC, with AnyDVD and PowerDVD. I never bought into media center.

I should not spend today messing with this but I bet that's how it ends up. I dl'd MPC already, and have many of the other apps on here... Nothing getting done again today I bet.
post #47 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I deleted my post cause I was going to go start another thread rather than hijack this one. Thanks for the response, you must have begun real fast after I posted.

To rip it to what? Iso?

Do you mean you use hdbrstreamextractor.gui instead of eac3to?

In my first attempt, I did get to a MKV, but something went badly wrong.

My first attempt didn't save much space. It's been months and I just searched and can't find the old MKV, I must have deleted it. Saving space is a major concern for me. Well, not really but if I can't save space, I have no reason to go through this since I can play all my stuff flawlessly now. With so many people saying mkv is the way to go, I wanted to try it anyhow.

I just have XP on my HTPC, with AnyDVD and PowerDVD. I never bought into media center.

I should not spend today messing with this but I bet that's how it ends up. I dl'd MPC already, and have many of the other apps on here... Nothing getting done again today I bet.

to rip to mkv

hdbrstreamextractor uses eac3to. It's just a GUI for it.

Then you did something wrong.

I'm not taking media center in windows. i'm talking the stand alone player mpc-hc. though media center is very nice.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #48 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent quite a while getting things working, mostly getting the file structure to work on the drive using the filesystem driver or whatever that was. What a pita finding info there. My eac3to would fail every time saying it could not open the drive. Anyhow, I got that resolved.

Then I did finally run eac3to and got a good rip ( I think), I was just playing it, but it's only sending audio to 3 channels I think. I can hear the center, but no surrounds. This is however a movie with only DTS, and, I'm handcuffed with DTS due to not owning TMT.

It took for...ev...or... to rip from the actual bluray disc. Is it faster if I first rip to iso and then run eac3to? Seems like there's got to be a faster way. I left to go to a family function, and it was running for about 4 hours before I left. I don't know when it completed.

I did get MPC working and it seems pretty nice. Certainly more stable than VLC, that's for sure. But, if I had to guess (and I do), I'd say they were both based on the same project.

My speakers showing in the dialog about audio (in mpc) show 6 channels, but no sound in the rear yet. I won't get too excited about that till my new receiver get here. At least this is a start. From here, I have no doubt I can make this do whatever I need.

Thanks again.
post #49 of 51 Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spent quite a while getting things working, mostly getting the file structure to work on the drive using the filesystem driver or whatever that was. What a pita finding info there. My eac3to would fail every time saying it could not open the drive. Anyhow, I got that resolved.

Then I did finally run eac3to and got a good rip ( I think), I was just playing it, but it's only sending audio to 3 channels I think. I can hear the center, but no surrounds. This is however a movie with only DTS, and, I'm handcuffed with DTS due to not owning TMT.

It took for...ev...or... to rip from the actual bluray disc. Is it faster if I first rip to iso and then run eac3to? Seems like there's got to be a faster way. I left to go to a family function, and it was running for about 4 hours before I left. I don't know when it completed.

I did get MPC working and it seems pretty nice. Certainly more stable than VLC, that's for sure. But, if I had to guess (and I do), I'd say they were both based on the same project.

My speakers showing in the dialog about audio (in mpc) show 6 channels, but no sound in the rear yet. I won't get too excited about that till my new receiver get here. At least this is a start. From here, I have no doubt I can make this do whatever I need.

Thanks again.

I don't know what you mean by file system driver. It's not needed, whatever it is.
You need to have tmt2 installed for DTS-MA HD decoding. The link to it is int he guide. Rip the audio to flac. Have the madflac decoder installed. Set windows to 5.1 or 7.1 in the sound properties.

You also need anydvdhd installed if you don't have it. Without it, it won't open the drive and show the file structure.

I use eac3to to rip straight off the disc. Takes me 1 hour or less per movie.

VLC and MPC-HC are vastly different players. Not the same project at all. VLC doesn't even support hardware acceleration. On my HTPC I use media center and it's great. On my desktop I use MPC-HC.

post #50 of 51 Old 11-29-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I don't know what you mean by file system driver. It's not needed, whatever it is.
You need to have tmt2 installed for DTS-MA HD decoding. The link to it is int he guide. Rip the audio to flac. Have the madflac decoder installed. Set windows to 5.1 or 7.1 in the sound properties.

It's not needed for Vista, but it's required for XP. Without it, when you do c:\\eac3to\\>eac3to g: eac3to returns an error saying the source is empty (which it is, there's no bd structure there). I may make a request to link this post in the guide, since this XP user just wasted a TON of time not having the structure visible.

I don't have tmt, so I'm stuck with just the "core" audio till I buy that; and that's just fine. I was more interested in seeing this work.

Here's a link to the SlySoft forum with a post that has the driver that actually works, vs the links that don't actually take you to the driver page.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=10

Quote:
You also need anydvdhd installed if you don't have it. Without it, it won't open the drive and show the file structure.

Have that.

Quote:
I use eac3to to rip straight off the disc. Takes me 1 hour or less per movie.

Hmmm, I wonder what was wrong then. Here, it took a lifetime to rip from the bd drive. Mines an LG and is 6X I think. Well, it was slow anyhow.

Quote:
VLC and MPC-HC are vastly different players. Not the same project at all. VLC doesn't even support hardware acceleration. On my HTPC I use media center and it's great. On my desktop I use MPC-HC.

I'm starting to like MPC-HC. Just the fact that it actually works is nice, and the cross platform capability might be handy too. I'll have to try it on Ubuntu. (Back on Topic, I may have a lack of hardware on my Ubuntu box, we'll see.)
post #51 of 51 Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not needed for Vista, but it's required for XP. Without it, when you do c:\\eac3to\\>eac3to g: eac3to returns an error saying the source is empty (which it is, there's no bd structure there). I may make a request to link this post in the guide, since this XP user just wasted a TON of time not having the structure visible.

I don't have tmt, so I'm stuck with just the "core" audio till I buy that; and that's just fine. I was more interested in seeing this work.

You don't need to buy TMT. Link is in the guide to the trial. The codecs don't expire in the trial and that's all you need.

Well we are just going to have to get you off XP. 7 is FAR better and media center is great. You'll be able to play everything with a single front end and a remote. Very nice.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page