Am I getting HA with Cyberlink decoder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to confirm that I am getting HA with Cyberlink H.264 decoder using MPC-HC base on this screen shot below:

CPU at about 50% load (Athlon 64 x2 6000+)
Geforce 9600 GSO PCI-E
File is a 1080p mkv

h264 decoder was disabled in ffdshow settings.
Player is MPC-HC (installed as CCCP)

I think I am getting HA, but the CPU load seems a bit high. So, I am not sure.

Another thing, .avi files playback with MPC-HC is stuttering now, after I messed around with the settings of ffdshow and MPC-HC. The same file plays smooth in WMP 11. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Cyberlink H.264 decoder doesnt HA mkv files.If u had HA it would be less then 10%cpu.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

I thought that amount of CPU utilization was not correct. After some more searching, I tried K-lite codec pack with MPC-HC. It works! The same mkv file now utilizes about 3-7% of the Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I still don't understand how this is done at the moment. MPC-HC uses its native MPC video decoder. From the filter list, I don't see how the stream is being passed to the GPU for HA. Surprisingly, the GPU temperature increases only about 3 degree C according to Everest.

That brings me to this. The other box that I want to convert into a HTPC actually has an Athlon 64 3400+, Radeon 9250 AGP, 1.5 GB DDR400, and sports Windoze MCE 2002. The CPU is way underpower for software acceleration of HD 1080p mkv/content. Given what happened in the above paragraph, replacing the current video card with a new Radeon HD 3650 (or even HD 3450) AGP video card would allow me to grow this old box into a HTPC.

What do you think?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post

Cyberlink H.264 decoder doesnt HA mkv files.If u had HA it would be less then 10%cpu.

Yes it does.
It's possible that the file he's using is not DXVA compatible... (edit: not the case, since above he points out it worked... nevertheless Cyberlink h.264 is perfectly capable of HA on mkv files)

CFC

Signature goes here
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM

I see DirectVobSub is in the filter chain, IIRC it inserts itself just before the renderer and so you can't use DXVA when DirectVobSub is active. Try using the Renderless VMR9 and MPC internal subtitles engine instead of DVS and HA should work.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:

That brings me to this. The other box that I want to convert into a HTPC actually has an Athlon 64 3400+, Radeon 9250 AGP, 1.5 GB DDR400, and sports Windoze MCE 2002. The CPU is way underpower for software acceleration of HD 1080p mkv/content. Given what happened in the above paragraph, replacing the current video card with a new Radeon HD 3650 (or even HD 3450) AGP video card would allow me to grow this old box into a HTPC.

What do you think?

AGP versions of Radeon HD cards always had many problems with video acceleration. It could work but there's no way to be sure without actually buying and testing it.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

AGP versions of Radeon HD cards always had many problems with video acceleration. It could work but there's no way to be sure without actually buying and testing it.

el Filou, thanks for the discussion. What problems are you referring to? Even without knowing what the potential problems are, I agree with you that the only way to find out is to buy and test the hardware with my current configuration. That is a luxury I can not afford. Alternatively, I have been considering a more extensive upgrade to 780G chipset and a more powerful CPU. However, I suppose that this is not a guarantee that HA will work either. It's another buy and test situation.

Here is the filter chain:

Sorry about the jpg quality. I only have Windows native Paint to work with.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

The problem is that some agp cards just won't do HA at all, and others might do it on some platforms but not others, or with different drivers.

HA for pci-e cards (and the 780g chipset) is solid for all bluray discs, and other files (mkv, mp4 etc) provided it has been encoded with the correct profile.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
your screenshots don't go far enough. From the filter list you now need to click on the h.264 codec, i.e., "MPC Video Decoder" or "Cyberlink h.264 Decoder". In that next pop-up you should see whether or not the hw accel is active. I know the MPC filter clearly states it, but I don't have the Cyberlink to compare.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Going further per sdsalsero's suggestion by clicking on the "MPC Video Decoder" in filter list yields this property box:

What are the different settings in the FFmpeg settings mean?

When I go further with the Cyberlink, I get a property box that has a DVXA check box, which is checked, and sliders for adjusting contrast, color, etc. I suppose this means that the Cyberlink H264 decoder is working.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
for sure, in the MPC Decoder, you have DXVA active. (Otherwise it would show "DXVA Mode: Not active") And since the MPC Decoder doesn't support as many chipsets as Cyberlink's, if MPC is working then Cyberlink should be working. Of course, in my experience, MPC's decoder is more reliable than Cyberlink! It's like Cyberlink tries to active DXVA even on 'marginal' material whereas MPC is more picky.