Easiest/Cheapest way to get internet streaming video onto my LCD TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Panasonic LCD TV with HDMI input and would like to watch internet streaming video (hulu.com etc.) on the LCD TV. Problem is that my computer is some distance away from TV, and I would have to buy a fairly long DVI to HDMI cable and not sure how I would get the sound.

The other option is that I could build a fairly basic 2nd PC (an HTPC-lite) and buy a router for internet connection and connect to my LCD TV. What could be my other options without spending too much money? XBOX360 doesn't have an internet browser right?

Or maybe I should just somehow move my computer desk next to my TV stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 AM

I guess it depends on if you would prefer to do your computing while sitting prone on a computer chair or from a nice comfortable couch or recliner in your living room.
My advice : Junk the desk and the tiny monitor, move your computer next to your HDTV, and get a decent wireless keyboard and wireless laser mouse. You will never look back.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
An HDMI-capable graphics card/motherboard will take sound and video to your TV over the one HDMI cable.

HDMI cables can be pretty long, although you do need to spend a bit more on quality for longer runs. My HTPC is connected from another room to my TV by a 15m HDMI cable.Then there is a wireless keyboard, mouse and a remote control in the living room. The first two are tucked away most of the time but can be brought out whenever they are needed. Personally I prefer a separate mouse, rather than using some of the "HTPC keyboards" with both combined. I probably use just the remote control 80% of the time, then 15% of the time I need the mouse and only 5% need the keyboard. I do not want to get a whole keyboard/mouse combo out when just a mouse would no.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored4 View Post

I guess it depends on if you would prefer to do your computing while sitting prone on a computer chair or from a nice comfortable couch or recliner in your living room.
My advice : Junk the desk and the tiny monitor, move your computer next to your HDTV, and get a decent wireless keyboard and wireless laser mouse. You will never look back.

I'm tempted, but I'm just so used to putting om headphones and sitting at my desk to watch movies/TV shows or actually do work, that I can't get myself to do this.

jong1, do I have to change my motherboard as well to get the HDMI A/V combo connection? Is there an add-on board that will do this by itself? Also, where can I buy a high quality long HDMI cable from?

Thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slides View Post

jong1, do I have to change my motherboard as well to get the HDMI A/V combo connection? Is there an add-on board that will do this by itself? Also, where can I buy a high quality long HDMI cable from?

Thanks

No, no need to swap m/b. You can buy a $40 card now that will do this, no problem. The ATI 4350 comes "silent", but you will need to be sure there is some case fan cooling, as the card still needs airflow.

There are many places ot get HDMI cables from. Go for a quality known brand, but don't be swayed by "esoteric", ultra expensive options!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Need to get my post count above 13!

NewEgg has HDMI Cables up to 50'

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20-%2050%20ft.

EDIT: Like jong1 said you can get a video card with HDMI out for under $50 easy, but you will need to know if the motherboard in your computer has a PCI-e or AGP slot, if your comp is less than 4 years old it's probably PCI-E, but some lower cost motherboards with integrated video don't have a video card expansion slot at all. If in doubt, consult the mobo manual that came with your computer or just open the case and look. You could even post a picture here and someone could tell you what kind of slots you have available.

In most low cost cases an HDMI out setup from a video card will also need an audio cable to go along with it.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have a PCI-e slot, but it's currently being used by an Nvidia GPU (8800GTS). The only reason I would want a 2nd Video/Audio card is so that I can combine audio/video into one HDMI connection. Is this possible?
post #8 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just purchased a Panasonic LCD TV with HDMI input and would like to watch internet streaming video (hulu.com etc.) on the LCD TV. Problem is that my computer is some distance away from TV, and I would have to buy a fairly long DVI to HDMI cable and not sure how I would get the sound.

The other option is that I could build a fairly basic 2nd PC (an HTPC-lite) and buy a router for internet connection and connect to my LCD TV. What could be my other options without spending too much money? XBOX360 doesn't have an internet browser right?

Or maybe I should just somehow move my computer desk next to my TV stand.

Personally I would go with the 2nd PC (dedicated HTPC) approach. I don't think HDMI and audio distance is your biggest problem.

You will need a keyboard/mouse/remote control solution that works while you are on the couch, and you likely have different needs at your desk.

Also the video & sound configurations are likely different between your desktop and your TV so you will need to manage the multiple screens and speakers. There are lots of options and each pose problems.

For example:
- You can duplicate the image on both displays, however they will need to output the same resolution. And if you disconnect or turn one of them off the video card may stop sending the duplicated signal to it, requiring you to be at the other display (on) to turn the alternate (off) display back on.

- Alternately you could extend your desktop across the two monitors, however if a window opens on the wrong display you will have to move it to the correct display without being able to see it.

I suggest reading through the threads, there are many people building budget HTPCs, some have bill-of-materials well under $500. I personally spent around $1000 on my initail HTPC; however at the time this was a fairly higher end system and included one of the first HDCP video cards. Today the options are better and much cheaper.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should go to digital streamer board.
Spend around $120-$200 and get yourself a network media tank player or digital streamer. Some streamer could even bitstream DTS-HD/DTS-Master/Dolby TruHD/DD+ via HDMI 1.3.

They are small, quiet, robust and almost no tweak required.

HDPLEX
post #10 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

Personally I would go with the 2nd PC (dedicated HTPC) approach. I don't think HDMI and audio distance is your biggest problem.

You will need a keyboard/mouse/remote control solution that works while you are on the couch, and you likely have different needs at your desk.

I do agree with this, if you can afford it. However.....
Quote:

I have a PCI-e slot, but it's currently being used by an Nvidia GPU (8800GTS). The only reason I would want a 2nd Video/Audio card is so that I can combine audio/video into one HDMI connection. Is this possible?

This is no problem. The ATI 4xxx series can do it. The only thing it cannot do is bitstream HD audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD); Maybe the 5xxx will be able to? However, with the 4xxx, if HD codecs are decoded by your player the audio can be pushed out over HDMI as multi-channel PCM. Anyway, I do not think any of this is on your mind right now.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

You should go to digital streamer board.
Spend around $120-$200 and get yourself a network media tank player or digital streamer. Some streamer could even bitstream DTS-HD/DTS-Master/Dolby TruHD/DD+ via HDMI 1.3.

They are small, quiet, robust and almost no tweak required.

This is also a good alternative. You can setup the desktop as a media center with a TV tuner card and use a MCE Extender (or other streaming device).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page