Best HTPC keyboard reception-wise? Adesso vs DSI vs Logitech vs ... ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 68 Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfa138 View Post

Adesso, DSI, and nMedia, either one will do the job. Has the scroll wheel, RF signal for perfect reception.

well, if you see my comments (and some others') about reception, it's far from perfect with these keyboards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post

Make sure USB keyboard support is enabled in your BIOS. I thought i had that problem also until I saw the option.

Thanks for the response but I have USB keyboard support enabled. As a matter in fact, I have multiple Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse combos around the house and all work in BIOS whereas the Adesso does not.

I have tested the Adesso in multiple PC's as well and it will not work until an OS in booted.
post #33 of 68 Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM

I like the BTC solution below...it's cheap and very good....i have the BTC 9019URFIII

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21...htm#9019URFIII

post #34 of 68 Old 11-27-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post

I like the BTC solution below...it's cheap and very good....i have the BTC 9019URFIII

I wanted to try this one out but saw that it uses the same 2.4Ghz technology as Adesso, so I didn't get it.

Just got the Dinovo Mini and the reception is excellent due to bluetooth. The keyboard itself though makes me want to smash it into a wall, compared to Adesso. No function keys, a 2-key combination just to mouse right click, awkward switching between mouse and arrow keys, pretty bad touchpad (at least without the software installed) - ever try to drag and drop something just using the touchpad? Not to mention no scrolling (just the page down and up keys). This baby is going back but I will be considering the full size Dinovo Edge, just because of bluetooth.

The Gyration option looks interesting too.
post #35 of 68 Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 View Post

I wanted to try this one out but saw that it uses the same 2.4Ghz technology as Adesso, so I didn't get it.

Just got the Dinovo Mini and the reception is excellent due to bluetooth. The keyboard itself though makes me want to smash it into a wall, compared to Adesso. No function keys, a 2-key combination just to mouse right click, awkward switching between mouse and arrow keys, pretty bad touchpad (at least without the software installed) - ever try to drag and drop something just using the touchpad? Not to mention no scrolling (just the page down and up keys). This baby is going back but I will be considering the full size Dinovo Edge, just because of bluetooth.

The Gyration option looks interesting too.

I didn't care for the mini Dinovo, due to exactly what you mentioned. IMO, the full size is much better. And the full-size is pretty thin also.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #36 of 68 Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I didn't care for the mini Dinovo, due to exactly what you mentioned. IMO, the full size is much better. And the full-size is pretty thin also.

with your Edge, did you get used to the seemingly crappy touch pad?
post #37 of 68 Old 11-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:

So, the problem is, while this keyboard is great when it works, it has extremely ****** reception. I'm sitting about 12-15 feet away from the computer (with the ugly USB stick receiver protruding out of it as you can see on the pictures here: http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...ng-1080p-h264/) and I keep having problems with reception.

It never completely loses it but the mouse becomes very jerky and spotty, the keys get missed, and if there's a bit of a barrier (person, table, even food item) in the direct line of sight, the problems become 2x worse. When I read reviews, people seem to mention reception problems for pretty much every wireless keyboard, so I'm still unsure if I can do better. Is this out of the ordinary?...

I had the same problem with my Logitech LX 710 (I needed a REAL keyboard), solved putting a long USB cable with the receiver on top of the Sony 50, actually is sitting beside the Central speaker, placing it in a rised position helped a lot

Nik
post #38 of 68 Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger2000 View Post

I had the same problem with my Logitech LX 710 (I needed a REAL keyboard), solved putting a long USB cable with the receiver on top of the Sony 50, actually is sitting beside the Central speaker, placing it in a rised position helped a lot

Nik

Hrm... that is a potentially great idea! I'll definitely try that, because I'm quite happy with the Adesso style and functionality other than reception. Thanks for the hint!
post #39 of 68 Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

I have been using this Dinovo Mini for 4 months here.
I use it for my ps3 (occasionally) and home theater pc (most of the time)

-Battery Life: I love the battery life on this thing its amazing. It stays charged for a month easy if you used it all the time.. and a couple months + if you occasionally use it . The ability to switch modes between mouse pad and direction pad is cool. Also the later versions of the software now allow you to manually assign any key or combo of keyboard hotkeys your want. Which make all the hidden functions now available to you. NOTE: The Battery is removable... if it fails over time. just get another lithium ion from logitech and do it yourself.

-Back Light: Its nice and bright.. when you switch modes the backlight colors change. It amazes how bright this shines and yet the battery lasts for 1-2 months. All the letters are fully backlit... however a quick dimmer lowers the light to nothing when not in use on the main keys... less distracting in the dark. Very well thought out lighting system.

-PC Gamers: The hotkey remapping on the later software allowed me to start using my home theater pc as a pc gaming rig on the big screen. I use a wireless xbox 360 controller as my main means of control in game and the dinovo mini to navigate the mouse when its needed or occasional odd keyboard controls I would need (for cheats or menu navigation or chatting in mmo's).

-Very Light and Portable: I definitely like the compact size of it. Typing definitely is not as fast as a full sized keyboard (if you are a typing pro)... but if you can text message on a iPhone it should be no problem for you. Thumb typing seems like second nature once your try it out, even if you aren't a text'er type person.

I have tried the mid to full sized keyboard path many times in the past in the living room and I cant stand lugging that bulky thing onto my lap when I need to do something with it... dinovo mini is controller size and quick to pick up and sit back down without needing to situate myself any kind of way or have a hard time looking to place it back down or need to set it in some kinda of fancy charging stand. Not to mention full sized keyboard in the living room are a bit of an eye soar due to their sheer size. Dinovo mini can sit on the coffee table and blend right in next to your remote.

-Bluetooth Receiver: The bluetooth usb receiver it comes with has a little pairing button on it which eliminates the need to type in a bluetooth password onscreen or through software. Which means if you dont want to install the included software you do not need it at all it is self contained. Software is mainly for hotkey remapping. Also i never had to re-pair the device after computer or ps3 reboots.. ever!

- PS3/PC Switch: There is a switch in the back that allows you to go from ps3 mode to pc control mode. The only downside is you need to unplug the bluetooth receiver and move it from pc to ps3 or vice versa. However, it remembers the paired connection you had before after you click the switch. So you don't need to re-pair it once your switch the usb dongle from machine to machine. Very nifty. I am tempted to buy a second usb dongle from logitech (not sure if they sell it online anywhere). This would allow me to just hit the switch in the back and never have to unplug/replug the usb receiver again.

-360: It wont work on xbox 360. The one downside to this device.

-Reception: As far as reception goes I have not had a problem at all. I am about 15 feet from the receiver. I have yet to do a extreme distance test on it. I do remember reading that people experienced drop outs on this device back when I was 1st doing homework on it before I bought it. I am happy to say I never have seen this happen once!

I definitely would recommend it if anyone is in the market.. at very least put it on your radar and do some homework on it.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #40 of 68 Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Z0p

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've been using the 9019URF verision (last keyboard on page) for years now. Only have problems when the batterys are getting low. Love the handles & joystick... Batterys last for months.
post #41 of 68 Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

with your Edge, did you get used to the seemingly crappy touch pad?

I rarely use the touch pad, it just isn't as 'functional' as a real mouse. If I'm watching a movie, and just need to get to a menu item, I'll use the touchpad. But for everything else, mouse all the way.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #42 of 68 Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 AM

I have the diNovo Edge on the way. Hopefully it will serve my purposes (movies, web-browsing) though the mixed reviews of the touchpad have me a little nervous.

I'll post some initial impressions once I get a chance.

Chris

Michigan... Respect the Maize and Blue
post #43 of 68 Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another vote for the Apple Wireless Keyboard, works like a champ and the looks are top notch.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823101005&Tpk=apple%20wireless%20keyboard

Also went with a Logitech BT notebook mouse that matches perfectly.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104233

Both have on/off switches for lengthening the life of the batteries.
post #44 of 68 Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by upchuk_ise View Post

This one is very pricey but has features none other have... The remote acts as an air mouse so the keyboard is small and simple. I find 90% having the mouse is enough to do what I want.

Gyration USB 2.4GHz RF Wireless Mini Air Music Remote w/ MotionSense & Compact Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823172021

Forgot the mention the remote has a small display for music control. That's pretty sweet!

I have this wireless keyboard/mouse/remote setup. The keyboard sucks. It is constantly dropping keys.

The gyration remote works great, though!
post #45 of 68 Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz View Post

I have the diNovo Edge on the way. Hopefully it will serve my purposes (movies, web-browsing) though the mixed reviews of the touchpad have me a little nervous.

I'll post some initial impressions once I get a chance.

You will never look back, I swear. Oh by the way, make sure you install the setpoint software (I'm sure the driver CD that comes with the keyboard is out of date, you might as well just download the newest version from the Logitech website)

With the setpoint software those lovely ZOOM buttons on the left hand side work FLAWLESSLY. I never used to surf the web on my HTPC, but now it's just amazing!
post #46 of 68 Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETninja View Post

The Rocketfish BT KB at Bestbuy looks interesting, around $100.

I use the Rocketfish BT KB and mouse. Works much better than previous Logitech wireless combo from 15 feet.

CJ
post #47 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm close to buying the dinovo edge for the htpc but I'm starting to second guess myself thinking that I may end up gaming a bit on the big screen at about 10' away so now I'm looking into combos or seperates.

I've briefly looked into the Logitech MX5500 but I'm not a fan how the mouse is constructed. I guess I'm more of a traditional mouse fanboy.

One question that I have is can I buy separate keyboard and mouse and have them work off of one bluetooth usb receiver? Should I go with one brand when going this route? Or should I try to stick with a combo?

Also, would RF or IR be an option at 10-12'?

Any other suggested products that haven't been listed in this thread?

Thanks!
post #48 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0p View Post

I've been using the 9019URF verision (last keyboard on page) for years now. Only have problems when the batterys are getting low. Love the handles & joystick... Batterys last for months.

Me too - best $39 keyboard I ever bought. Get a short USB extender and place the receiver out from behind the HTPC and almost double the range. I have a Kensington 2.4g mouse, a 2.4g 802.11g, and this 2.4g device, and haven't seen any interference yet.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #49 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1110 View Post

I'm close to buying the dinovo edge for the htpc but I'm starting to second guess myself thinking that I may end up gaming a bit on the big screen at about 10' away so now I'm looking into combos or seperates.

I've briefly looked into the Logitech MX5500 but I'm not a fan how the mouse is constructed. I guess I'm more of a traditional mouse fanboy.

One question that I have is can I buy separate keyboard and mouse and have them work off of one bluetooth usb receiver? Should I go with one brand when going this route? Or should I try to stick with a combo?

Also, would RF or IR be an option at 10-12'?

Any other suggested products that haven't been listed in this thread?

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you, so I said screw it, and went with a wired mouse and USB extension.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #50 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the dinovo edge and would not buy it again.

1. Built in battery. Unless logitech will replace the battery for a fee, these keyboards will have a limited life. I already notice the battery life getting shorter.
2. Fragile keys. The keys break easily, at least for me. Logitech will send an entire new keyboard for free if you report it, but won't send a spare key.
3. Touch sensitive volume. I can't tell you how many times the volume changed on accident.
4. No number pad. I can live without this, but it can be a hindrance. Using the calculator is specifically annoying. Some games also require the use of the number pad.
5. Having to hold Fn to do use the Play/Pause, Stop, Forward, and Back. Would it have been too hard to give these dedicated buttons in place of the useless magnifying glass buttons on the left?
6. (Minor) The scroll function on the touch pad rarely activates on the first try. It gets easier the more I use it, but still.

--------------------------------

The wireless connection is good. If you hold down the button on the receiver when you plug it in, the USB receiver functions in bluetooth mode and other devices can connect. Unfortunately, I seem to have to unplug the receiver and insert it without pressing the button to get back in HID mode (to use the bios).

Logitech could have something if they would allow a bluetooth keyboard to pair to two devices simultaneously and have a switch to switch between them. This would allow me to switch the Dinovo between the PC and PS3 by flipping a switch. As it stands, the Dinovo is 1 device at a time.
post #51 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM

No scroll wheel, but I get great reception and the HTPC is in another room about 15 away.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0228116

I only throw this out as an option because if I were to decide scroll wheel vs performance, I'd choose performance.
post #52 of 68 Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hrm... that is a potentially great idea! I'll definitely try that, because I'm quite happy with the Adesso style and functionality other than reception. Thanks for the hint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger2000 View Post

Nik

Brilliant! I bought a 6' USB extension cable for $2 at monoprice.com and it made a world of difference. Finally, I can say that I'm sticking with the Adesso (or in my case, DSI). The expensive non-functional dinovo mini went back to Logitech and I won't miss it a bit.
post #53 of 68 Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I just bought a Dinovo Edge and I'm enjoying it tremendously. Yes I can see the lack of a numpad being a problem for some games, but I can always plug in for serious gaming. This will be good for 95% of my time on this machine, and make my living room a lot classier-looking.

A buddy of mine can hook me up with a MS Wireless Media 8000 keyboard (top of the line MS) that's supposed to be nicer than this Dinovo. It's freaking 300 dollars, so I wouldn't recommend anyone spend that on a keyboard (I had a hard enough time rationalizing the $120 for this edge) When the MS keyboard gets in I will try both and let y'all know which I like better.

As far as the "touchdisc" it is very irritating... until you tweak the settings. I find it is on "crazy crack mode" when you install it. Knock the acceleration down to low, and the speed two clicks to the left and see if you like it better. I do. Besides, it's just a mouse replacement for when you have people over watching movies. For gaming and serious browsing, use a mouse. To me, it's there in a pinch if you need it, which is nice.

UPDATE: My Dinovo edge just randomly died after less than a day of use. It refuses to connect. I am going to swap it out and see if I just got a lemon or what. I must admit I am getting irritated by the useless keys like zoom, and having to hit and hold the Fn key to get any special functions.

Pioneer lover: Elite TV and AVR | HTPC Masochist | Bit-perfect Audiophile | Networking Guru |
post #54 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Finally figured out how to wake up the machine on keyboard event with the Adesso wireless keyboard. It still wasn't working even after I enabled the support to wake up on keyboard event in BIOS. Here is what needed to be done:

- open up Control Panel
- go to your Keyboard
- select the Power tab
- pick the right keyboard
- click Properties
- go to the Power Management tab
- check the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option

Worked like a charm. If you want, you can repeat the same actions with your mouse.

http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...#comment-13911

Artem
http://beerpla.net
http://twitter.com/ArtemR
post #55 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
AP2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a dinovo mini, but i find myself using my iphone more to control my media center.
post #56 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

my htpc is in an adjacent room to my theater room.

i use this keyboard which works from about 10 ft away through a wall.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-GKM551R...6633129&sr=8-8

i use the vista on screen keyboard in the dark.
post #57 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

my htpc is in an adjacent room to my theater room.

i use this keyboard which works from about 10 ft away through a wall.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-GKM551R...6633129&sr=8-8

i use the vista on screen keyboard in the dark.

If only it had a built-in trackball or touchpad...
post #58 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If only it had a built-in trackball or touchpad...

most of the time i use a logitec wireless trackball. it is always sitting on the arm of the chair so i didn't need one in the keyboard. i have used the mouse that comes with the keyboard on the chair arm also (works) but i prefer the trackball. i use the same trackball on my other computers. i would much rather have my separate trackball than any of the built in ones. i use it for everything ... even really simple typing with the onscreen keyboard. the only time i grab the big keyboard is when some serious typing is required. IMO the keyboard has a nice feel for typing and never misses a key.

side comment: i am so used to that logitec trackball that i was fooling around the other day writing with it using the tablet pc interface in windows 7.
post #59 of 68 Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM

I have the Adesso, too, and I have to share archon810's sentiments. Layout-wise, the Adesso is almost flawless. It incorporates a trackball, which, IMO, is 1000% better than a touchpad or joystick. And that trackball is in just the right place, along with the mouse buttons. Whoever designed the Adesso deserves several medals.

HOWEVER, the reception problem kills it. It constantly drops keys. When it's sitting on my lap, if it's too close to my torso, my leg will completely block the signal. I work in a command window 50% of the time, so this is particularly annoying. Also, if you roll the trackball too fast, it won't register the movement and it's like the pointer is stuck in sludge. I'm also not convinced my wireless network isn't interfering with the signal, as, even when there's a clear path to the USB dongle and I'm downloading something, it often still won't register keypresses. I've tried resync'ing the keyboard to the dongle, but that yields only a marginal improvement for just a short amount of time.

What we desperately need is a BT version of the Adesso.
post #60 of 68 Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleggett View Post

I have the Adesso, too, and I have to share archon810's sentiments. Layout-wise, the Adesso is almost flawless. It incorporates a trackball, which, IMO, is 1000% better than a touchpad or joystick. And that trackball is in just the right place, along with the mouse buttons. Whoever designed the Adesso deserves several medals.

HOWEVER, the reception problem kills it. It constantly drops keys. When it's sitting on my lap, if it's too close to my torso, my leg will completely block the signal. I work in a command window 50% of the time, so this is particularly annoying. Also, if you roll the trackball too fast, it won't register the movement and it's like the pointer is stuck in sludge. I'm also not convinced my wireless network isn't interfering with the signal, as, even when there's a clear path to the USB dongle and I'm downloading something, it often still won't register keypresses. I've tried resync'ing the keyboard to the dongle, but that yields only a marginal improvement for just a short amount of time.

What we desperately need is a BT version of the Adesso.

Absolutely agreed on all points. My keyboard starts to lag noticeable when there's a fast download or upload (above 3MB/s over wireless N). Not sure what it's related to but I'm assuming the wireless card, rather than HD speed. Resync'ing helps marginally, as you said.
One thing I did like about the DiNovo Mini was its perfect reception, so I would love to see this keyboard in BT as well. A man can dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page