Best HTPC keyboard reception-wise? Adesso vs DSI vs Logitech vs ... ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So having recently built an HTPC, I'm looking for feedback on one of the most important aspects: the keyboard.

The keyboard I went with was the DSI wireless keyboard that looks exactly like Adesso. Here it is on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-Wireles.../dp/B000MLB6V4 for only $50.

Now, the more popular Adesso keyboard (http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=336, http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Wireles...7073246&sr=1-2) costs $11 more and looks absolutely exactly the same as DSI. Both say they're 2.4Ghz, does anyone know if one is just rebranded?

So, the problem is, while this keyboard is great when it works, it has extremely ****** reception. I'm sitting about 12-15 feet away from the computer (with the ugly USB stick receiver protruding out of it as you can see on the pictures here: http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...ng-1080p-h264/) and I keep having problems with reception.

It never completely loses it but the mouse becomes very jerky and spotty, the keys get missed, and if there's a bit of a barrier (person, table, even food item) in the direct line of sight, the problems become 2x worse. When I read reviews, people seem to mention reception problems for pretty much every wireless keyboard, so I'm still unsure if I can do better. Is this out of the ordinary?

What is the best wireless keyboard? I really like the trackball AND the trigger-like left click underneath the keyboard on the right side. I also like the left/right click keys on the left side.

Oh, and another really odd thing I noticed is when I start transferring files over the 802.11N connection, the faster the transfer, the more interference I seem to get. At 5MB/s (megabytes per second), which seems to be my wireless' max throughput, I get jerky movements even if the keyboard is next to the PC. What gives?

Any suggestions, experiences, and comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 AM

Add one more to your list.
nMedia HTPCKB, exact same layout plus a remote. $69.99 at Directron.com.
The RF 2.4GHz remote w/ track ball wins me. I own one of this and I am satisfied. I don't need to point my remote to the HTPC box.
My point is Adesso/ DSI/ nMedia all using the same OEM factory. It is matter of pricing. Quality wide, they are all the same. No comparison is needed.
Regards,
Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Logitech DiNovo Mini. It's Bluetooth, so you can put hte receiver on the back of the PC and still sit 15ft away from the PC and it'll work just fine.

I'm sitting 18ft away from mine and it's working just fine.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 AM

I have the MS wireless entertainment desktop 7000. I like it, the range is good enough. I did notice a difference with the BT adapter on the front panel vs backside of the PC. I think logitech's RF transceivers work really well, they just don't have a HTPC focused model. I like the track pad of the MS keyboard, but its quite expensive for what you get.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Liked: 12
I second the diNovo Mini... as long as you're not planning to type a bunch.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 AM
T^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 View Post

So, the problem is, while this keyboard is great when it works, it has extremely ****** reception. I'm sitting about 12-15 feet away from the computer (with the ugly USB stick receiver protruding out of it as you can see on the pictures here: http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...ng-1080p-h264/) and I keep having problems with reception.

It never completely loses it but the mouse becomes very jerky and spotty, the keys get missed, and if there's a bit of a barrier (person, table, even food item) in the direct line of sight, the problems become 2x worse. When I read reviews, people seem to mention reception problems for pretty much every wireless keyboard, so I'm still unsure if I can do better. Is this out of the ordinary?

I occasionally get the missed keys and jerky mouse that you describe. My Addesso has a button on the bottom of the keyboard that is used to establish the connection and the USB receiver. I find that holding this until the USB receiver LED flahses (same procedure that's done when you first setup the keyboard and receiver), tends to clear up the reception problem - at least for a good while.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T^2 View Post

I occasionally get the missed keys and jerky mouse that you describe. My Addesso has a button on the bottom of the keyboard that is used to establish the connection and the USB receiver. I find that holding this until the USB receiver LED flahses (same procedure that's done when you first setup the keyboard and receiver), tends to clear up the reception problem - at least for a good while.

Yeah, I found that resyncing seems to work but only for a short while. My point was, is there something better in comparison to these Adesso/DSI/etc? A true test is having as many different keyboards as possible in the same location and comparing between them in the same conditions - that would produce a true "keyboard a has better reception than keyboard b". I was hoping somebody would have done that by now

But at least, switching between Adesso, DSI, and nMedia, according to you guys, won't help.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My dinovo edge has flawless reception and signal and range. It's amazing.

My bluetooth mirosoft mouse on the other hand is the biggest pile of laggy garbage I've ever seen.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM

I have to recommend the New Apple Wireless Keyboard Before I used an Ione Scorpius keyboard, but the Apple one is terrific - super slim and classy looking, nice to type on, great reach because of bluetooth. Downsides are mac layout and no integrated mouse, but the keyboard works just as well without the windows symbol on it or whatever, and I have a Logitech MX1100 instead of a crappy integrated one.

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

I actually bought the Logitech Dinovo Keyboard For Notebooks before the Apple wireless. It felt really nice, it's stylish, comfy and rigid. For me though it was just to big, for my HTPC I want as small as possible with retained functionality. Also, it isn't bluetooth but the reach is probably pretty good anyway.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../4742&cl=US,EN
Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

My dinovo edge has flawless reception and signal and range. It's amazing.

My bluetooth mirosoft mouse on the other hand is the biggest pile of laggy garbage I've ever seen.

I second the Logitech Dinovo Edge - flawless reception, integrated touchpad mouse and crazy battery life - I've had it for over 6 months and have yet to recharge the battery.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
T^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 View Post

Yeah, I found that resyncing seems to work but only for a short while. My point was, is there something better in comparison to these Adesso/DSI/etc? A true test is having as many different keyboards as possible in the same location and comparing between them in the same conditions - that would produce a true "keyboard a has better reception than keyboard b". I was hoping somebody would have done that by now

But at least, switching between Adesso, DSI, and nMedia, according to you guys, won't help.

I don't have the pocket change to buy multiple wireless keyboards.

Also, I think your choices become more limited if you want a wireless keyboard with trackball instead of touchpad.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What I would love would be a good BT keyboard that had a couple USB ports on it so I could connect a mouse and my gaming keypad to it and park it on the coffee table and play WoW on the big screen. I'm thinking I'm going to have to lean towards a USB extender and run a cable though. Not the end of the world.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T^2 View Post

I don't have the pocket change to buy multiple wireless keyboards.

Also, I think your choices become more limited if you want a wireless keyboard with trackball instead of touchpad.

Oh I didn't mean one would end up with all of them but somebody could have started trying them and returning the ones with **** reception. The key part was that somebody had to have compared at least some of these.

I am actually not limited by the trackball at all, a touchpad sounds just as great, if not better. Now, dinovo full or mini? Is the range the same on both? Who prefers what?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up getting the Dinovo Mini for $104 shipped. I'll post with my experiences when it comes in. I hope it's worth it.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM

This one is very pricey but has features none other have... The remote acts as an air mouse so the keyboard is small and simple. I find 90% having the mouse is enough to do what I want.

Gyration USB 2.4GHz RF Wireless Mini Air Music Remote w/ MotionSense & Compact Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823172021

Forgot the mention the remote has a small display for music control. That's pretty sweet!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I also have the Adesso. While it's good for the price, if I to buy it again, I would not. My Adesso for some reason does not work until the OS load up which means that if I needed to get into the BIOS, I would have to connect another keyboard.

I'm ditching the Adesso and going with the Dinovo Mini.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm pretty doubtful about whether any cordless keyboard works under boot?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post

I'm pretty doubtful about whether any cordless keyboard works under boot?

The Logitech DiNovo Edge works in the BIOS just fine. You must use the supplied receiver though. It works BETTER than a PS/2 keyboard because you can even plug it in after the computer has started to boot up to get into the BIOS. I really just can't recommend this keyboard enough. Worth every penny!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Liked: 14
the dinovo edge is great, pick it up new off ebay with 25% off with live search. you should end up around $80 or less with minimal effort.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post

I have to recommend the New Apple Wireless Keyboard Before I used an Ione Scorpius keyboard, but the Apple one is terrific - super slim and classy looking, nice to type on, great reach because of bluetooth. Downsides are mac layout and no integrated mouse, but the keyboard works just as well without the windows symbol on it or whatever, and I have a Logitech MX1100 instead of a crappy integrated one.

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

+1 for the Apple Wireless Bluetooth keyboard. Very neat solution, works brilliantly every time. Very, very happy with it. No numeric keypad to bulk it up and very classy design.

I also use an Apple Mighty Mouse - because I had one - and am happy with that (now I've discovered the Left/Right/Left click needed to make it re-connect with Windows each time you boot!)

(* Though I have to have a cabled keyboard and mouse available for rebuilds and BIOS fiddling...)
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

I also have the Adesso. While it's good for the price, if I to buy it again, I would not. My Adesso for some reason does not work until the OS load up which means that if I needed to get into the BIOS, I would have to connect another keyboard.

Make sure USB keyboard support is enabled in your BIOS. I thought i had that problem also until I saw the option.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I went the cheap route, 43.00 for the Keysonic I use at 12ft best kb I have ever used. 19.00 for the Labtec although the distance isn't very good beyond 6ft it's still better than the most expensive ones out there. I can game with the Labtec and like the mouse silent scroll wheel very comfy.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

The Rocketfish BT KB at Bestbuy looks interesting, around $100.

JET
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If I get the dinovo mini can i have another logitec Bluetooth key/mouse set on my desk that will work as well? (maybe sametime?)
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

If I get the dinovo mini can i have another logitec Bluetooth key/mouse set on my desk that will work as well? (maybe sametime?)

I couldn't get my Dinovo mini + Dinovo Edge to both work on the same Vista computer.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

I couldn't get my Dinovo mini + Dinovo Edge to both work on the same Vista computer.

Did they work when you turned one off and the other on without a reboot?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Another vote for the diNovo Edge, best keyboard I've bought. And like others have said, it has a killer battery life, it'll hold a charge for a good 4-6 months.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I returned my DiNovo Mini because it didn't have a mouse roller and it took too many keystrokes to use the Fn keys (both of which I use on a regular basis with MPC-HC). Reception was excellent, though.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

I returned my DiNovo Mini because it didn't have a mouse roller and it took too many keystrokes to use the Fn keys (both of which I use on a regular basis with MPC-HC). Reception was excellent, though.

So... what is the perfect keyboard that has the scroll wheel, perfect reception, and all shebang?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Adesso, DSI, and nMedia, either one will do the job. Has the scroll wheel, RF signal for perfect reception.