Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi HTPC Gurus,

I am wondering what the experience has been for others in my scenario:

I have been fighting this ATI 4850 for a couple of months, and have found the easiest solution is just to wire one HDMI cable from my "Top" DVI port through the adaptor, to my Pioneer Elite AVR. Then, I run another DVI>HDMI Cable into input 4 of my Pioneer Elite TV.

The reasons for what I'm calling a "Split connection" setup are the following:
1. It's easier. (I don't care about 1 cable as much, since there are millions of cables behind my setup already)
2. It removes the AVR from the video chain. This caused lag when switching resolutions, and introduced artifacts when using non-TV resolutions (like 1360x768)
3. I can turn either the TV off and leave the AVR on, or vice versa.

However, I'm having issues with this setup, and I'd like to know if others have figured them out:
After a random amount of time, the AVR loses connection to the HTPC. It will show HDMI connected, and drop back to "Stereo" from "96KHz PCM". Windows will show the audio device connected, but ATI CCC will show the connection to the AVR as "DVI" not "HDMI". No amount of resolution-changing will fix this. I've tried changing the res when this happens, and it doesn't actually work! In fact if I go to 1920x1080, it will only display 1360x768 pixels on the TV, not actually change the EDID to 1920x1080. If I reboot windows, the problem is fixed and I can change resolutions normally.
I've noticed I can force this problem to happen by changing inputs on my AVR from "HTPC" to my Cable audio and back.

I'm going to try the new Realtek 2.09 drivers, and then disabling the onboard sound in BIOS again. (I reenabled it to test)

Cheers, and if you have any advice for this kind of a setup please post! I can't be the only one doing this.

Pioneer lover: Elite TV and AVR | HTPC Masochist | Bit-perfect Audiophile | Networking Guru |
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page