*Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatvw View Post
I read on NewEgg that some folks had trouble using HDMI+DVI on the Asus 9300-based boards, but nothing about the Gigabyte 9400 boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirp View Post

Quote from MB's homepage:

From what I've read none of the Nvidia 9300/9400 support dual digital outputs. I think that I saw that the hardware could support it but none of the mfrs. have supported (enabled) it. You can can HDMI or DVI along with VGA but that's it.

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

This is what you get under Vista...

Thanx, I'll wait a while if somebody confirm that DXVA does not work under XP. Otherwise I have to reinstall back to Vista, cause I installed Vista first, that installed XP and now back to Vista. ;-(
post #273 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

If you made the partition and not XR2, I doubt that it recognizes the partition. XR2 automatically creates the partition the first time it's run. You have to leave unallocated space and not a partition.

Is there anyway to get Xpress Recovery2 to work without starting over from scratch? I would sure hate to have to reload Vista and everything again. I thought that I followed the instructions correctly but I guess I missed something.

post #274 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Am looking at this MB for a 2nd HTPC. I like XP better than Vista, but may switch if necessary.

Which operating system works the best with this MB? I will have to buy them no matter which one I pick.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #275 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I have Arcsoft TMT installed and that's the filters I'm using. It took me forever to figure out how to get those to work outside of TMT, but I finally got it to work. They showed up in Radlight Filter Manager, but no matter what I set the priority to, nothing outside of TMT would use them (both audio and video filters). Turns out that I just needed to copy some .DLL's from the Arcsoft folder to the System32 folder. After that I just cranked up the priority in Radlight and now I can playback 1080p MKV's from windows media player (inside of VMC) only using a couple % of CPU power.

Thats what I want to do!! Can you give some guidence to how you did that in details! PLEASE! you are talking about the Holy Grall
post #276 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toi View Post

Hi there,
One problem that I am trying to solve right now is the nVidia DualView behaviour:
I have two screens - the case LCD screen connected over VGA and used for iMON / FrontView and the LCD TV connected over HDMI.
If I start the computer with both screens connected and powered on, everything is fine.
If the LCD TV is off during the system startup, nVidia automatically switches from DualView to the single available monitor (case LCD) and uses it as a primary monitor. If I turn on the LCD TV after that, nothing happens.

Did anybody face this problem? Is there any workaround to prevent nVidia from disabling DualView if the primary monitor is off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

It's a normal behavior. Launch NVIDIA Control Panel and restore DualView mode. Or save DualView mode as a profile and load it by a hotkey.

renethx,

I have a similar setup with a 24" LCD TV used for regular TV watching, and a projector for movies and HD. I'm considering this motherboard, but the DualView behavior you described sounds like a hassle.

I'm currently not running nVidia graphics, but I have the equivalent of DualView enabled (clone mode or whatever), and I don't have any problems. I have run nVidia in the past and I don't recall running into this. Is this a recently added feature of the nVidia drivers? Any other workaround?

I know it is possible to program the hotkey, then use an IR keyboard to "teach" it to a universal remote, but I'd rather not.

Thanks,

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #277 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM

I understand that I cannot get both digital sound from nVidia via HDMI and Realtec via Toslink optical simultaneously. Is it possible to do nVidia (HDMI) and analog (RCA 1/8 to standard L/R RCA) at same time? If so, how? If not natively, can it be accomplished with a sound card? Problem is that Denon AVS-4806CI only accepts analog for zone 2. Old MSI K8NGM2 mobo via SPDIF and analog RCA could do both simultaneously.
post #278 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well seems no one wanted to give me any advice with my last questions, so I'll make this question simple and provide a link cuz my pc is dying as we speak.

Since the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H isn't available to Canadians , what can't this card: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...22160(ME).aspx do that you all are exited about the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H being able to do? I don't see any mention of passing DTSMA or DDTHD via HDMI and that's a must have. Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance!
post #279 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manakeri View Post

Thats what I want to do!! Can you give some guidence to how you did that in details! PLEASE! you are talking about the Holy Grall

I had searched for this answer many times and come up short so I decided to make it it's own thread... Go here for the details:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15302497
post #280 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreepastor View Post

I understand that I cannot get both digital sound from nVidia via HDMI and Realtec via Toslink optical simultaneously. Is it possible to do nVidia (HDMI) and analog (RCA 1/8 to standard L/R RCA) at same time? If so, how? If not natively, can it be accomplished with a sound card? Problem is that Denon AVS-4806CI only accepts analog for zone 2. Old MSI K8NGM2 mobo via SPDIF and analog RCA could do both simultaneously.

I'm very eager to get this figured out too... for the same reason also... it's frustrating that modern expensive receivers can't decode a digital signal to Zone's 2 & 3. I'm using an Onkyo 875 and have the same problem. My OLD htpc using a creative labs sound card did this fine, passing Toslink digital and analog to the recevier at the same time... I've not been able to get this to work on a G45 or this 9400 using HDMI and analog... I haven't devoted too much effort to it yet, but I think I'm about to.
post #281 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate View Post

Well seems no one wanted to give me any advice with my last questions, so I'll make this question simple and provide a link cuz my pc is dying as we speak.

Since the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H isn't available to Canadians , what can't this card: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...22160(ME).aspx do that the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H can do? I don't see any mention of passing DTSMA or DDTHD via HDMI and that's a must have. Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance!

Dreamsate, well NO current motherboard solution will pass DTSMA or DDTHD via HDMI... it's just not possible yet, even on the 9400. The board you linked to is a G45 board which is very similar to the 9400 in that it supports hardware acceleration of the HD video formats. It'll also send 5.1 or 7.1 Lossless PCM audio... that means the playback software decodes the DTSMA or DDTHD stream, converts it to PCM and then sends it over HDMI... this works fine except it's slightly downconverted (many say it's inaudible) and your receiver will only say "Multichannel" instead of displaying the sound format (because it's not doing the decoding, the playback software is.) To get around this limitation, if you're ripping the BluRay disks, you can convert the HD Audio format to FLAC (which is completely lossless), wrap it and the video into an MKV and then it doesn't get down converted. You'll still be stuck with seeing "Multichannel" on your receiver, but that's really not a big deal.

That all being said... I came from the Intel G45 motherboard before I got the Gigabyte 9400 and I'm much happier with the 9400... You should be able to get the G45 do do what you need it to do though.
post #282 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

EskimoPie, thanks so much for your speedy reply!

As for the audio, meh, I can't wait, no choice. It will have to do.

As for the G45 issue. Would investing more $ into a better CPU bring this MB to the 9400 realm? I only have a basic knowledge of hardware at best, obviously. In other words, If you were in my situation and wanted the board I can't get what would you substitute it with? I want flawless HD playback of all my files with minimal CPU, and that's the biggie with this board right?

Ugh, and I just read that there's heat issues with the G45. My place is a sauna in summer. 90 degrees F in my apartment for months in July and Aug. Living in Canada definitely has it's disadvantages when it comes to release times.
post #283 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:

EskimoPie, thanks so much for your speedy reply!

As for the audio, meh, I can't wait, no choice. It will have to do.

As for the G45 issue. Would investing more $ into a better CPU bring this MB to the 9400 realm? I only have a basic knowledge of hardware at best, obviously. In other words, If you were in my situation and wanted the board I can't get what would you substitute it with? I want flawless HD playback of all my files with minimal CPU, and that's the biggie with this board right?

Ugh, and I just read that there's heat issues with the G45. My place is a sauna in summer. 90 degrees F in my apartment for months in July and Aug. Living in Canada definitely has it's disadvantages when it comes to release times.

Bear in mind that I cut my teeth on HD HTPC with the G45 so many of my difficulties may have been fighting my own ignorance. knowing what I know now, I think if I went back and re-installed on the G45 things would likely go better.

The G45 is a very capable chipset, but many of the issues I ran into I believe were driver and BIOS issues, that slapping a stronger CPU in wouldn't help... They've been releasing updates fairly regularly so things have been improving, but with the 9400... everything just works out of the box... they haven't even reved the BIOS yet.

As for the heat... I think all of these HD integrated graphics motherboards are going to be running hot... the 9400 runs hot also... for some reason, the manufacturers seemed content with passive cooling only on the chipsets.... some people who've had issues related to heat have just put a fan on the chipset heatsink and all is well again... I wouldn't let that affect your decision much. Any case with strong airflow should help as well.

I'm surprised you can't get the 9400 at all in canada... if you really can't, then I think you'll be happy with a G45... in the end, it has all the capabilities of a 9300/9400 but just might need a little more TLC (at least that's my experience).
post #284 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed75 View Post

Is there anyway to get Xpress Recovery2 to work without starting over from scratch? I would sure hate to have to reload Vista and everything again. I thought that I followed the instructions correctly but I guess I missed something.

I haven't messed with partitions in years but you may be able to delete the partition you made with Vista. If not try Partition Magic if its still around or something similar. Leave the space at the end of the drive unallocated and with enough space for OS. You might be able to run XR2 then.
post #285 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatvw View Post
I read on NewEgg that some folks had trouble using HDMI+DVI on the Asus 9300-based boards, but nothing about the Gigabyte 9400 boards.

From what I've read none of the Nvidia 9300/9400 support dual digital outputs. I think that I saw that the hardware could support it but none of the mfrs. have supported (enabled) it. You can can HDMI or DVI along with VGA but that's it.

Thanks Hogweed and lirp. Didn't see the note on Gigabyte's site. Looks like the same deal for the Asus P5N7A-VM. What a shame. Guess they really want you to buy a x16 PCIe card and do SLI to get that second digital output.

I suppose I'll have to settle for an Intel G45 board to get a quiet system with simultaneous DVI+HDMI. Or maybe wait for IronLake integrated GPU+CPU on one chip.
post #286 of 2837 Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM

More evidence I'm a newie: I have four sticks (two pairs) of Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4. They're supposed to be 4-4-4-12. I tried raising the voltage to 2.1 - no magic with that. Any suggestions?

Is it even worth screwing around with this?

Thanks!
Brett
post #287 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 02:50 AM

cas4 is not supported on all nforce730i for the moment!
You will only be able to set timings @5-4-4-12...
post #288 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I downgraded my G45 a while back to some really cheap 6-6-6-18 memory and it made zilch difference...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #289 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I'm surprised you can't get the 9400 at all in canada... if you really can't, then I think you'll be happy with a G45

I've googled it and there's nothing. Tried GB.ca and they have it listed, but none of the sites they list for online sales displays anything from a search. All forum posts I've seen on CA sites just have people wondering where they can get this card.

i'm going to have to wait, as long as I can. My pc won't let me watch anthing larger then 700mb dvdrips. This sucks.
post #290 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I've googled it and there's nothing. Tried GB.ca and they have it listed, but none of the sites they list for online sales displays anything from a search. All forum posts I've seen on CA sites just have people wondering where they can get this card.

i'm going to have to wait, as long as I can. My pc won't let me watch anthing larger then 700mb dvdrips. This sucks.

You are not alone, I'm also waiting for this board (GTA) not sure what the delay is even ncix doesn't carry it and are usually a few days after newegg. What doesn't make even more sense is why newegg.ca doesn't ship it to Canada. If you find any info on it let me know.
post #291 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvhk View Post

cas4 is not supported on all nforce730i for the moment!
You will only be able to set timings @5-4-4-12...

Doh! I think I knew that in the back of my head - at least with respect to the Asus board.
post #292 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjot View Post

You are not alone, I'm also waiting for this board (GTA) not sure what the delay is even ncix doesn't carry it and are usually a few days after newegg. What doesn't make even more sense is why newegg.ca doesn't ship it to Canada. If you find any info on it let me know.

Will do. I sent mail to GB and am waiting for my answer. They quote only one business day for a reply.
post #293 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Very nice thread ! Want to build my HTPC next week and this might be the right mobo.

I got three questions;
I have a Panasonic Plasma and a Sanyo Beamer to be connected. At the specs the following note is stated; (Note 3) Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported. Well I didn't want to watch the plasma and beamer simultaneous anyway (beamer screen pull down will block Plasma) but I would like to be able to switch from one to the other without rebooting my HTPC. How can I switch form DVI to HDMI and visa versa ? Is that possible while running the os ?

Second question; Not really about this mobo, I want to buy 2 HD's (for stripeset) and I am trying to choose between the 1TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint and the 1.5TB Seagate. Performance is less important, the noise generated is much more important. I have read that the Samsung is pretty quiet but cannot find a good review that states the noise of the Seagate or compares the two. What do you suggest ?

To give the full picture; this is my shoppinglist;

Antec Fusion Fusion Remote Max case
Intel E8400
2 GB PC6400 memory
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard
Antec NEOHE 430 psu
LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray burner
Still trying to look for the best CPU and Case coolers/fans

Last question; will the 430 watts be enough or is it better to go for the Antec NEOHE 550 watts psu ?
post #294 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Adding a better video card to the 9400?

I've been extremely happy with this Gigabyte MB and how easy it has been to work with. The only problems that I've had were my mistakes, being my first build and were more software oriented. That is, when I should have installed this or that first and therefore had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.

One thing I have noticed is that I think the video was better from my Dell that I installed the Asus HD 4550 video card on then from the 9400. I've been considering purchasing a HIS Hightech H467QT512P card to increase the upconversion quality of standard definition discs as well as any performance increase that I can get from my Bluray's and HD-DVD's.

My real question is will the 4670 work well with the GA-E7AUM-DS2H? Would another video card be a better match? I don't need it now but for the future I do want to be able to pass 24fps perfectly. Is there anything wrong with the Asus or Gigabyte versions of the 4670? They have an actual HDMI connector on them. I'd rather stay away from using an extra dongle if I don't need to. The more connections there are the more there is to go wrong. I already have a hard time keeping these stupid HDMI contacts connected well! Really bad design!

Actually the DVI is a much better connector then the HDMI. I've noticed that the HDMI connection has actually been my problem with not being able to see POST during boot up. When I jiggled the cable and reinserted it I was able to see the boot up information. If the HDMI isn't seated just right I don't see the POST information on the TV. I've replaced the cable but still battle it if I've moved something recently.

Any help on this video card subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

post #295 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
This board does not support Hybrid Power. Does that mean if one has a discrete graphics card it is always being powered even when the onboard graphics are being used? This is not simultaneous video output - just one output being used at a time. I did not see any options in the online manual for this motherboard to 'turn off' a discrete graphics card in the BIOS, unless I missed something while reading. In case people are wondering why I would want a discrete graphics card, it has to do with the ability to use my 8800 GT for gaming and the 9400 GPU for everything else (most importantly, 24p HD video and 7.1 playback through HDMI). I'm worried about wasting 100+ W of electricity while the 8800 GT is not even being used.
post #296 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Adding a better video card to the 9400?

I've been extremely happy with this Gigabyte MB and how easy it has been to work with. The only problems that I've had were my mistakes, being my first build and were more software oriented. That is, when I should have installed this or that first and therefore had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.

One thing I have noticed is that I think the video was better from my Dell that I installed the Asus HD 4550 video card on then from the 9400. I've been considering purchasing a HIS Hightech H467QT512P card to increase the upconversion quality of standard definition discs as well as any performance increase that I can get from my Bluray's and HD-DVD's.

My real question is will the 4670 work well with the GA-E7AUM-DS2H? Would another video card be a better match? I don't need it now but for the future I do want to be able to pass 24fps perfectly. Is there anything wrong with the Asus or Gigabyte versions of the 4670? They have an actual HDMI connector on them. I'd rather stay away from using an extra dongle if I don't need to. The more connections there are the more there is to go wrong. I already have a hard time keeping these stupid HDMI contacts connected well! Really bad design!

Actually the DVI is a much better connector then the HDMI. I've noticed that the HDMI connection has actually been my problem with not being able to see POST during boot up. When I jiggled the cable and reinserted it I was able to see the boot up information. If the HDMI isn't seated just right I don't see the POST information on the TV. I've replaced the cable but still battle it if I've moved something recently.

Glad to hear that you've noticed the difference between HD 4550 and GeForce 9400. HD 4670 works fine with GA-E7AUM-DS2H. The PowerColor card (Zalman cooler) is the quietest and you can adjust the fan speed in CCC manually. HIS is also quiet (no manual fan speed control). ASUS and GIGABYTE are relatively louder (no manual fan speed control).
post #297 of 2837 Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post

This board does not support Hybrid Power. Does that mean if one has a discrete graphics card it is always being powered even when the onboard graphics are being used? This is not simultaneous video output - just one output being used at a time. I did not see any options in the online manual for this motherboard to 'turn off' a discrete graphics card in the BIOS, unless I missed something while reading. In case people are wondering why I would want a discrete graphics card, it has to do with the ability to use my 8800 GT for gaming and the 9400 GPU for everything else (most importantly, 24p HD video and 7.1 playback through HDMI). I'm worried about wasting 100+ W of electricity while the 8800 GT is not even being used.

GeForce 9300/9400 does not support Hybrid Power. Right now only MCP78 chipset for AMD (GeForce 8200/8300, nForce 750a/780a SLI) supports it.

Even if it supported Hybrid Power, GeForce 8800 GT would not work because it lacks necessary power circuitry. Only GeForce 9800 GT (55nm) or higher support Hybrid Power. Check also this page. BTW the power consumption of GeForce 8800 GT is only (?) ~35W, not terribly bad.
post #298 of 2837 Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:

Glad to hear that you've noticed the difference between HD 4550 and GeForce 9400. HD 4670 works fine with GA-E7AUM-DS2H. The PowerColor card (Zalman cooler) is the quietest and you can adjust the fan speed in CCC manually. HIS is also quiet (no manual fan speed control). ASUS and GIGABYTE are relatively louder (no manual fan speed control).

Thats strange everyone is saying that 9400 is doing perfect 24P playback?
So why the extra card? wouldnt it just be better to safe the money and buy a cheaper MB with this HD4670 Card?

Sorry if this is a NOOB Q...
post #299 of 2837 Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manakeri View Post

Thats strange everyone is saying that 9400 is doing perfect 24P playback?
So why the extra card? wouldnt it just be better to safe the money and buy a cheaper MB with this HD4670 Card?

Sorry if this is a NOOB Q...

I mean PQ. HD 4550 + 780G mb + Athlon X2 4850e is about $30 cheaper and may be better for some people.
post #300 of 2837 Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:

I mean PQ. HD 4550 + 780G mb + Athlon X2 4850e is about $30 cheaper and may be better for some people.

Sorry you wrote "HD 4670 works fine with GA-E7AUM-DS2H." and that MB is with 9400 so thats why I asked?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page