*Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2839 Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
SVM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
10K - Thx for your reply, I did orderd the MB.

When installing the Intel Q9650, I saw the following comments from one of the Newegg buyers review -- "The stock Intel CPU heat sink and fan touches the chipset heatsink. The CPU fan power wires rubbed against the chipset heatsink giving the potential to gouge the insulation and cause a short. Rotating the CPU heatsink 90 degrees remedied this issue".

Any pictures or tips on how to install the stock heatsink and fan to avoid above situations would be great help, also would a 500 Watt PS would be enough to drive 2 DVD drives, 2 Hard drives in addition to Q9650 with stock HSF and 4 GB RAM?

Thx - SVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2839 Old 01-07-2009, 04:41 PM

I have the E7200 (2.53GHz) overclocked to a little over 3.1GHz. I just upped the FSB from 1066 to 1333 (actually 1370). I had to add a little extra CPU voltage for it to be stable.
I ran the FSB and RAM unlinked and 1370 set the RAM at 799MHz for my 800MHz RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdslacker View Post

I was wondering if someone who has overclocked this MOBO could post their relevant BIOS settings for overclocing. I'm currently running the following:

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Intel E5200 2.5GHz (would like to bump to 3.0GHz if possible)
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

post #543 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

1When installing the Intel Q9650, I saw the following comments from one of the Newegg buyers review -- "The stock Intel CPU heat sink and fan touches the chipset heatsink. The CPU fan power wires rubbed against the chipset heatsink giving the potential to gouge the insulation and cause a short. Rotating the CPU heatsink 90 degrees remedied this issue".Thx - SVM

I'm using the stock Intel HSF on a Q6600 with this board. I also saw the same comment on Newegg prior to my build.

I was hesitant that I would run into an issue, but once I started to play around with the HSF on the MB's CPU heatsink, I figured it out. Basically, you just have to be aware of the HSF fan wires when mounting it to the MB. The HSF can be mounted in any orientation on the CPU so you just have to mount it in a direction that will keep the wires furthest away from the NB heatsink.
post #544 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-Blueberry View Post

Even if data sheet for this chipset says it accept 105°, temp is a problem for me
1/ in first because if the chipset is arround 80°C during winter (18°), I'm worried for temps in full load mode in summer (36°)
2/ I have a slim case so air flow is limited, a strong hot air source is difficult to manage. Some other components less robust can have problems with this.
3/ In summer, my living room is very hot so I hesitate before putting on any hot source like TV or other ... So I'm sure to rarely use a so hot PC in summer.
4/ A low temp means less fans, lower rotation speed, lower noises ..

And more generally, temperature and life expectancy are two exactly opposite curves in any electonic system ...

I'll have the same issues come this summer. No air conditioning and even with all windows open the temp indoors reaches 95-100F for months. My last P4 with stock cooler ran at top speed, very noisy and gave me issue when multitasking. I have to have something quiet that cools the NB. 105 deg C and beyond sounds way too hot.
post #545 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #546 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdslacker View Post

I was wondering if someone who has overclocked this MOBO could post their relevant BIOS settings for overclocing. I'm currently running the following:

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Intel E5200 2.5GHz (would like to bump to 3.0GHz if possible)
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

hopefully i will have something for you tonight.

unfortunately the PSU from my main rig is too large for this little board and e5200...it wont keep it running due to low load. hahah

gotta pick me up another PSU today to get this stuff running.
post #547 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking of picking up the same combo.. what PSU is NOT working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

hopefully i will have something for you tonight.

unfortunately the PSU from my main rig is too large for this little board and e5200...it wont keep it running due to low load. hahah

gotta pick me up another PSU today to get this stuff running.

post #548 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
SVM

hd54321 - Thx for your help with the HSF clarification.

I am planning to install Vista Premium 32bit, setup being blu-ray, DVD drive, 150GB HD for OS and another 1 TB HD - all are SATA and I will enable the AHCI mode to see all the 4 devices.

Any steps or things to watch to load OS and the drivers for MB? - I was planning to put Vista DVD which I am hoping will load the OS on the 160GB HD and then I will pop in the driver CD from Gigabyte to load rest of the drivers.

Thx - SVM
post #549 of 2839 Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

I was thinking of picking up the same combo.. what PSU is NOT working for you?

it was an Enermax Galaxy 850w. it really was too much for this little board i guess. i had it hooked up to my previous system with no issue but it was old 90nm tech(socket 939) so it drew more power.

i was able to pick up an Antec EA650 today and its working wonderfully right now.

watching hellboy II golden army as i type this through the 9400 hdmi output on my 42" lcd 5.1 lpcm. prolly gonna be this weekend before i start tweaking things more. i bumped my fsb up to 225(900) and am running at 2.81ghz at stock volts right now with no other adjustments. solid.

a big double slot cooled pci-e video card BARELY fits on this motherboard. i had to modify the stock heatsink on my 8800gtx because the SATA ports(cables) were in the way. they supplied a right angle sata cable with the board but the way the ports are configured it blocks another port if u have it plugged in...DUMB.
post #550 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 AM

I'm surprised to see so many guy who are using this mobo with a discrete graphic card added. For me, the very strong point of this model is to provide a correct graphic controller, powerfull enougth to deal with video rendering, gaming (limited to 1 or 2 years old games) and of course any basic usage. If it's finally for adding a graphic card, I don't understand.
Integrated graphic for me means no added card so better air flow, slim case, less fans at lower speed. It the reason why integrated graphic card is attractive for me. Otherwise, there is a lot of mobos with a great chispset for less money without graphic controler. I'm wrong ?
post #551 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised to see so many guy who are using this mobo with a discrete graphic card added. For me, the very strong point of this model is to provide a correct graphic controller, powerfull enougth to deal with video rendering, gaming (limited to 1 or 2 years old games) and of course any basic usage. If it's finally for adding a graphic card, I don't understand.
Integrated graphic for me means no added card so better air flow, slim case, less fans at lower speed. It the reason why integrated graphic card is attractive for me. Otherwise, there is a lot of mobos with a great chispset for less money without graphic controler. I'm wrong ?

no, ur not wrong. i will be migrating this board/ram/cpu to a htpc in a few months so i will no longer have the 8800gtx in it then. im using it as my main rig now, hence the discrete gfx card.
post #552 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Is there a difference between using the HDMI Video feed or the DVI (with a HDMI adapter)? I'm using the optical output for sound, so HDMI would only be for video.

Thx!
post #553 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

OK - I ordered this board, should be here on Monday.

I hope the HDMI Audio works better than it did on the Gigabyte G45 board.

Is anyone using the DVI and HDMI connections to run 2 displays?

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #554 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 AM

HDMI + DVI can't be used for dual display (user manual p22)

Only HDMI + DSUb or DVI + DSub can be used
post #555 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Asked this question a few pages back, with no answers, so asking again:

WHat is the difference between nforce, and normal video drivers?
In nvidia site, i can download nforce 7 series drivers (which specifically mention 9400m chips, which is what we have in this board) which include display drivers (but havent been updated since October 15, 2008), or normal Geforce drivers, as quoted above by HDGT.
Which is used for what?
any help is appreciated...
post #556 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised to see so many guy who are using this mobo with a discrete graphic card added.

This is why I purchased the MB too. I'm using both PDVD 7.3 and 8 Ultra. The Blu-ray/HD-DVD playback is excellent. After a little tweaking the SD upconversion with PDVD 8 Ultra is really very good! I have a standalone Samsung BD-UP5000 with the HQV chip and the upconversion of standard definition discs with the 9400 MB definitely compares very well to the Samsung. In fact I think the 9400 looks slightly better then the Samsung but I also have an old Dell that I stuck an Asus HD 4550 card in and the picture is a bit better on it then the 9400. More detailed, sharper image. It's not the settings, the 4550 just fills in the missing pieces better, more completely, sharper, a little less less soft then the 9400.

I'm looking at getting a HIS 1GB silent 4670 card once they get just a little cheaper and also I know that there should be some new video cards releasing in Jan. or so with that I'm watching for.

So it depends on how critical you are. If you want close to the best picture you can get the 9400 is perfect for an all in one HTPC MB. If you want the very best SD picture that you can possibly get then there is one more step up that can be accomplished by adding a 4550, 4670 or (?).

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #557 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Sorry for the simple question, but I can't figure out how to connect my case fans to the cpu/system fan headers on the motherboard.

I have and Antec NSK2480 and would like to be able to control the fan speed. The fans have a large for pin connector, like the size I would use for an IDE hard drive. Do I need an adapter to connect the fans to the motherboard?
post #558 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm having a problem with SD DVD playback... all my bluray movies play back beautifully, both off a disk and ripped MKV's off a server. A lot of my DVD rips (folder structure playing back through My Movies) though look really bad... the image seems to shake vertically by a centimeter or so... it's most apparent in still scenes were you can see it bouncing up and down at like 5-10Hz... it's really annoying and almost headache inducing.

It's not all the DVD's though, in fact it seems to be limited to older movie titles... The Lion King has it pretty bad. This seems to be something specific to this build with the Gigabyte board, as both my last two HTPC including a G45 based system did not exhibit this behavior with the very same rips. I've played around in the drivers and tried de-selecting inverse telecline, and trying other drivers, and other MPEG2 decoders, and nothing seems to help so I'm starting to think it's something related to the 9400. I haven't seen others mentioning it on this thread though so I'm confused. I've tried the latest Nvidia beta drivers, I'm running the latest BIOS, I've tried playing back at 24Hz, nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #559 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbox View Post

Asked this question a few pages back, with no answers, so asking again:

WHat is the difference between nforce, and normal video drivers?
In nvidia site, i can download nforce 7 series drivers (which specifically mention 9400m chips, which is what we have in this board) which include display drivers (but havent been updated since October 15, 2008), or normal Geforce drivers, as quoted above by HDGT.
Which is used for what?
any help is appreciated...

the nforce drivers also install drivers for the chipset on the motherboard so all the components talk to one another correctly. the display drivers just happen to be included in the package. i believe u can select which drivers to install during initial setup. hope that helps
post #560 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Anyone have problems with mkv files stuttering the video at random times? Also, videos played through a browser (flash) are basically pointless, so choppy. I've tried numerous resolutions and refresh rates, upgrading flash, installed the specific flash version that Hulu recommends. I bought Cyberlink PowerDVD, and that is pretty much worthless as well. It either won't play an MKV, or randomly restarts it. Videos seem to play best through WMP 11.

I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate. Is there a recommended installation procedure for the drivers, and which versions to use? When I first installed Vista, I downloaded all the drivers I thought I needed, and everything seemed to work, but my Vista Experience rating was 1.0. I reinstalled Vista and ended up using the CD that came with the mobo and that seemed to work, and installed the newer chipset and video drivers from there, and all seemed well. The stuttering is really annoying (though it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's enough to make me want to fix it, or not use it)...I could have saved myself $550 and bought a stand alone Bluray player, but I figured why not try out a HTPC.

My HTPC: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=11698928

It connects via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V863, which connects via HDMI to my Kuro 141. The cables are HDMI 1.3 CL2 rated from monoprice.

Thank you.
post #561 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.sanbower View Post

Sorry for the simple question, but I can't figure out how to connect my case fans to the cpu/system fan headers on the motherboard.

I have and Antec NSK2480 and would like to be able to control the fan speed. The fans have a large for pin connector, like the size I would use for an IDE hard drive. Do I need an adapter to connect the fans to the motherboard?

I had this problem and got the answer from renethx in a different forum. Look at post 5188. Worked perfectly for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...40972&page=173
post #562 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Another XP person looking for some help...no sound through HDMI, can any one be of assistance?
post #563 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible_buddhis View Post

Another XP person looking for some help...no sound through HDMI, can any one be of assistance?

maybe nvidia driver is not selected in " sound and audio devices properties">"sound playback">"audio device" but Realtek driver? (in XP, though)

Antec NSK2480 case
GigaByte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Intel Dual Core E5200
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5/G 4GB
XP 32-bit
feeding a Sony Bravia 40w4000
post #564 of 2839 Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post

maybe nvidia driver is not selected in " sound and audio devices properties">"sound playback">"audio device" but Realtek driver? (in XP, though)

nvidia is not an option, the only option is realtek HD audio output
post #565 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 AM

I am putting together my first HTPC using the GA-E7AUM-DS2H in the Antec Fusion 430 case. When I was getting ready to connect the front panel audio cable (HD Audio) to the mobo, I noticed the pin assignments were different (see below). Pins 6 and 10 don't seem to match? I'm sure others have used this mobo/case combination. Did you just plug the cable in as-is or did you alter the pin assignments? Thanks in advance for any help.

Pin Fusion 430 HDA GA-E7AUM F_AUDIO
1 MIC2 L MIC2_L
2 AGND GND
3 MIC2 R MIC2_R
4 AVCC -ACZ_DET
5 FRO-R LINE2_R
6 MIC2_JD GND
7 F_IO_SEN FAUDIO_JD
8 Key (no pin) No Pin
9 FRO-L LINE2_L
10 LINE2_JD GND
post #566 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Sorry, those pin assignments didn't come through very clearly. I'll separate the columns with a triple dash.

Pin --- Fusion 430 HDA --- GA-E7AUM F_AUDIO
1 --- MIC2 L --- MIC2_L
2 --- AGND --- GND
3 --- MIC2 R --- MIC2_R
4 --- AVCC --- -ACZ_DET
5 --- FRO-R --- LINE2_R
6 --- MIC2_JD --- GND
7 --- F_IO_SEN --- FAUDIO_JD
8 --- Key (no pin) --- No Pin
9 --- FRO-L --- LINE2_L
10 --- LINE2_JD --- GND
post #567 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

nvidia is not an option, the only option is realtek HD audio output

any chance this is the problem?

any idea how to fix it?
post #568 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

any idea how to fix it?

Select the unknown hardware and install the driver
You can find this on the CD you got.
There is also a 8mb exe on the cd for this hardware
post #569 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What settings should I use in Vista if I want to use HDMI for video and the optical out for audio?

Thanks!
post #570 of 2839 Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM

I just set up Windows Vista 64 on this board, all of my windows experience scores are pretty high, but the video is a 1. Should it be this low with the graphic chip on this board? I have 4 GB RAM and an Intel e8400 processor. I've installed the vga drivers from the disk and tried running the Gigabyte Download Center driver update (it didn't update the graphics, only the HD audio)
Any ideas are very welcome. Thanks.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page