*Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post

Looks like you processor ("Genuine Intel....."), each (unknown) item represents a core.

Yes, I agree but I don't understand why. Have you got something similar ? Is there an ACPI dedicated driver for that ? It's quite strange ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-Blueberry View Post

Yes, I agree but I don't understand why. Have you got something similar ? Is there an ACPI dedicated driver for that ? It's quite strange ....

I'm using Vista at the moment, with an e7300, and it's recognized without problems in the hardware overview. So, it isn't a good comparison.

It's indeed strange, because ACPI drivers usually come with the operating system...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post

I'm having the same problem with my build, using an e7300 and a Be-Quiet 450W PSU.

When using the Windows assesement tool to get a performance rating, the system shuts down by itself, losing all power. Flipping the powerswitch on the back off the PSU, brings the system back to life, but when I ask some performance, the system dies again.

I just ordered a Corsair HX620 too, so let's see if it makes any difference.

/edit: I also noticed, that when the system accesses the HDD, the display becomes fussy/distorted.

I do hope it works for you. For me, it was easy to determine that the PSU didn't have enough power - the system worked fine with DVD + 1 HDD, as soon as I added a 2nd HDD, it failed to power up fully. I tried 3 different drives as the "2nd" drive, on different power cables and different modular plugs on the PSU. Same results on each try.

So it was obvious that the PSU was either underpowered or faulty.

I guess the assessment tool may cause enough of an additional draw to overpower the PSU but I'm not really sure why or how much?

In any case, I think you'll like the HX620. It looks good, can't hear it, and the modular design is great (the only things I'd change about it are to make the EPS12v connector modular as well since we don't need it on this motherboard, and maybe make the SATA connectors on each cable just slightly further apart).

g.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Pls. could someone check 12V rails with Speedfan 4.37, Everest, Sandra or similar SW. They all report 12V to be around 8.3V, which is quite unrealastic as I do not think E7 would boot with that voltage. Multimeter reading on lazy 4pin Molex reads 12.xx V and Bios reports the same, but I am still nervous a bit...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Multimeter reading on lazy 4pin Molex reads 12.xx V and Bios reports the same, but I am still nervous a bit...

Why???

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Why???

Well, this is my first mobo with inaccurate readings, and I am not sure that my measuring on lazy Molex is a valid check.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM

(sorry to ask again)

Does anyone use this motherboard with a yamaha Z7 and can successfully have video and 7.1 LPCM through HDMI, only by installing the standard drivers (no EDID Override required) ?

Because i m currently using a 4850 ATI (that requires EDID override to be used with the yamaha Z7 receiver) card and planning to build an HTPC with this motherboard.

Many thanks in advance for your answers ...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

One or the other.

i am having a bit of an issue that i think may be common, but i cant find any direct reference through this thread. once i get my audio working via. the HDMI out everything is wonderful, until i reboot the pc and then i have no audio out period.
it seems that maybe i can only enable hdmi via the sound control panel HDMI and i need to disable everything thing else.
i cant really figure out what makes it happy. i get so pissed when it happens that i plug an unplug the connections and reboot until its happy.

should i only have hdmi enabled and everything else disabled?
i dont intend to run this through my receiver, just the TV's audio.

thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAgenda View Post

i am having a bit of an issue that i think may be common, but i cant find any direct reference through this thread. once i get my audio working via. the HDMI out everything is wonderful, until i reboot the pc and then i have no audio out period.
it seems that maybe i can only enable hdmi via the sound control panel HDMI and i need to disable everything thing else.
i cant really figure out what makes it happy. i get so pissed when it happens that i plug an unplug the connections and reboot until its happy.

thanks in advance

We saw something similar on systems that weren't fully patched (via Windows Update, excluding device drivers). Don't know which update(s) fixed the problem (annoyingly) but as long as the systems are fully patched (as of end Dec '08) the problem never seems to return.

Systems based on vanilla Vista SP1 show similar problems to yours on a regular basis.

Wo0zy
Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Today we had our first system based on this board with excessively high GPU/North Bridge temps. Reading 102 degrees C idle!!!!

The system eventually BSOD'd.

Just goes to show, this chipset is very close to it's thermal limits with all but perfect airflow and Heatsink attachment.

Will be investigating more tomorrow but I'm starting to question the design. Hopefully this is a "one off" but......

Wo0zy
Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Woozy,
Fully fanless system? I never saw temps higher than 75C or so when all i had was my Scythe Shuriken on in my Antec Sonata III.

I have since attached a fan above the NB heatsink and temps never get above the mid 40's
Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAgenda View Post

thanks in advance

Everything else should be disabled. I went one step further and removed the Realtek drivers from the system. I also downloaded the Nvidia HDMI audio drivers and have no problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Same here, 75 degrees with Ninja Mini, and fan hanging from the top of the htpc case. In fact, it's mostly blowing over the pcie tuner cards, if I can figure out a way to move it a couple of inches over, and possibly do it at a 45 degree angle I bet I could get it much further down.

g.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
groovejumper,
I got my temps down by doing this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15524656
It added nothing to the overall system noise since the fan I used is pretty quiet. It did wonders to the temps though.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

groovejumper,
I got my temps down by doing this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15524656
It added nothing to the overall system noise since the fan I used is pretty quiet. It did wonders to the temps though.

10k - thanks! This is exactly the sort of help I was hoping for... Except that that particular solution won't work for me exactly. The Ninja Mini (even with the tops of the heatpipes de-nutted and de-glued) only leaves a tiny bit of space, no easy way to mount on top of there.

I was trying to kludge the fan clips so the fan would be offset, kinda like this:

Code:
------------------------------- <-Top of case
                     | | | | 
       000000000000| --------|
         (fan)     | --------|
   |               | ------- |  <-Ninja Mini
   |   ==========  | ------- |
   |  ============ | ------- |
   |   ==========   \\-------/
   |  ============    =====
(PCIe)  (NB HS)       (CPU)
(hope that came out ok)

But I can't figure out a way to get it to stay horizontal, and I'm concerned about vibration on the Ninja Mini and weight on one side.

I think I'm going to take some old sound card coupons (points if you know what those are) (ok I'll just tell you, it's what we call the expansion card blanks from the back of the case), bend them with some pliers and create a mounting bracket attached to the hard drive cage or possibly the back of the case, so I can basically accomplish what was in your link. Depending on how high it is I may try to have the fan blow at a 45' angle. Not quite sure how I'm going to accomplish that yet though.

g.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Woozy,
Fully fanless system? I never saw temps higher than 75C or so when all i had was my Scythe Shuriken on in my Antec Sonata III.

I have since attached a fan above the NB heatsink and temps never get above the mid 40's

Nope but CPU fan (with vent directly above) only and VERY low profile. No room for additional cooling (DIY or otherwise)

We've produced many systems based on this config so far with no such problems (we could only get the GPU up to 85(ish) under continuous heavy load for several hours) so hoping this is just a faulty board or poorly fitted chipset HS rather than anything else. Will monitor the situation and report back.

I have to wonder how "ION" will work if this is common. Who want's to hang a fan over a Pico ITX case

Thanks for the feedback.

Wo0zy
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbin View Post

Pls. could someone check 12V rails with Speedfan 4.37, Everest, Sandra or similar SW. They all report 12V to be around 8.3V, which is quite unrealastic as I do not think E7 would boot with that voltage. Multimeter reading on lazy 4pin Molex reads 12.xx V and Bios reports the same, but I am still nervous a bit...

thats normal it seems. you are not the first person i have seen mention this and i get the same readings with speedfan. with two different power supplies also...

maybe it will be fixed in a future bios update.

looking at voltages in software is a joke...still not an exact science.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejumper View Post

But I can't figure out a way to get it to stay horizontal, and I'm concerned about vibration on the Ninja Mini and weight on one side.

I think I'm going to take some old sound card coupons (points if you know what those are) (ok I'll just tell you, it's what we call the expansion card blanks from the back of the case),

That works very well. Been doing that a long time. I don't bend the bracket; just a rube goldberg combo of epoxy glue and balsa wood. Very little strength needed.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

That works very well. Been doing that a long time. I don't bend the bracket; just a rube goldberg combo of epoxy glue and balsa wood. Very little strength needed.

grittree - any chance of some pictures? Have you done this in a case with this motherboard, and what were your results? Do you attach to the heatsink or the case or the board itself somehow?

g.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Today we had our first system based on this board with excessively high GPU/North Bridge temps. Reading 102 degrees C idle!!!!

The system eventually BSOD'd.

Just goes to show, this chipset is very close to it's thermal limits with all but perfect airflow and Heatsink attachment.

Will be investigating more tomorrow but I'm starting to question the design. Hopefully this is a "one off" but......

Wo0zy

Actually reproduced the problem again today on another system. Bottom line is that the NVIDIA 730i chipset (with 9300 or 9400 IGP) is of no use in a quiet very SFF system. The heat output is just too great.

I appreciate the ingenius DIY solutions people have come up with to overcome this issue and can see that they would certainly work but this really isn't appropriate for production systems.

A shame. Other than this and the "protected path level expansion" bug this was so close to being the perfect HTPC chipset

Wonder whether "under-clocking" the IGP would help without hampering HTPC performance? BH I doubt it but may try tomorrow out of interest.

Just for reference, Intels G45 has no heat issues in exactly the same chassis with exactly the same cooling. Of course the driver bugs are still a problem though

Wo0zy
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Actually reproduced the problem again today on another system. Bottom line is that the NVIDIA 730i chipset (with 9300 or 9400 IGP) is of no use in a quiet very SFF system. The heat output is just too great.

I appreciate the ingenius DIY solutions people have come up with to overcome this issue and can see that they would certainly work but this really isn't appropriate for production systems.

A shame. Other than this and the "protected path level expansion" bug this was so close to being the perfect HTPC chipset

Wonder whether "under-clocking" the IGP would help without hampering HTPC performance? BH I doubt it but may try tomorrow out of interest.

Just for reference, Intels G45 has no heat issues in exactly the same chassis with exactly the same cooling. Of course the driver bugs are still a problem though

Wo0zy

what about an aftermarket heatsink solution? the heatsink they have on it from the factory is dinky.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

what about an aftermarket heatsink solution? the heatsink they have on it from the factory is dinky.

Good idea but it would need to be around the same sort or height as the factory heatsink in order to fit.

If you have a model in mind I'd really appreciate a link.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wo0zy
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Everything else should be disabled. I went one step further and removed the Realtek drivers from the system. I also downloaded the Nvidia HDMI audio drivers and have no problems.

fantastic! I will give this a go. Thanks for a possible solution, this is the most annoying shi t to deal with when you just want to watch a movie...
Anyway, thanks again and will report back the results...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horsepoopy... admitadly, the GPU heatsink needs to be removed and the goop replaced with arctic silver... but hey, what board HAVEN'T you done that to... aside from that a decent case, such as the Antec Fusion Remote 350, and a STOCK Intel low profile heatsink, such as that which came with my E8400 and VOILLA... a perfectly functional cool-running HTPC... no magic required...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horsepoopy... admitadly, the GPU heatsink needs to be removed and the goop replaced with arctic silver... but hey, what board HAVEN'T you done that to... aside from that a decent case, such as the Antec Fusion Remote 350, and a STOCK Intel low profile heatsink, such as that which came with my E8400 and VOILLA... a perfectly functional cool-running HTPC... no magic required...

"Decent" case is subjective. Low profile systems is where a huge percentage of interest is coming from and the fusion "mini" just isn't small enough (according to customer feedback at least. Don't mind it myself).

The chassis we're dealing with is so LP that even the new stock Intel coolers are too tall (yes I do mean the new ones). It's worth trying to refit the chipset heatsink but if that doesn't work then the board is not fit for purpose in this design.

These are ths same cases and coolers used with Gigabyte's G45 board and there were zero heat issues. Obviously there were other problems or we wouldn't have bothered looking at the 730i in the first place.

Lucky I know your style by now Jim

Will suggest the chipsst heatsink "magic trick" to the engineers (or try it myself) and see whether it improves things. If done right it can't get worse. If it doesn't work then a new chassis choice may be required but who wants to bin stock Either that or back to G45. Hell we had solutions to most of the problems anyway.

Wo0zy
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM

Liked: 11
My temps aren't too bad in a lowish profile case (Omaura TF8) with all fans spinning at low RPM. I use Speedfan and they ramp up if needs be.

CPU hovers under 30°C most of the time and the GPU sits around 65°C.

I did use the stock Intel cooler in my last G35 built and couldn't fault it - silent and cool, but with the 9400 I thought the extra fan size on the Shuriken would help a little on the NB. Not sure if it does though as I haven't compared.

The only negative thing about this board IMO is a failure to resume from standby every now and again.......

D.

Streacom i3 Haswell HTPC [See it Here]

Omaura TF8 HTPC [See it Here]

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM

From the people who have owned this board how happy are you with its performance, in terms of streaming 1080p media via the HDMI to a TV..?

I can't seem to make my mind up whether I should go for this board (I have a spare E2180 CPU) or the cheaper Asus P5N7A-VM (with the Nvidia 9300). I am wondering if the Asus is just as capable at streaming HD video as the Gigabyte as I can't find out if the 9400, albeit faster in terms of mhz, means that it is necessarily better when used to watch HD material..?

Then again I could put aside my E2180 and just buy the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, 780G, which has a ATI3200 GPU along with a 4850e CPU and still have a little spare cash, as the NVidia 9400 board is expensive compared to ATI 3200 one. But I do worry if that would be as capable at streaming HD material.?

Choices choices...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:

yep, replaced the goop on mine with arctic silver ceramique. but i have a low cfm 80mm fan blowing on it also and it idles at 45c and never goes above 55c.

the way the fins are spaced on the chipset heatsink it wouldnt be that hard to attach a 40-60mm fan to it with screws also.

something like this:

http://www.jab-tech.com/40mm-fans-c-102.html
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, at this point I'm thinking that my set up (that looks pretty much as the person with the pictures a few post up) will not be enough come summer when the indoor temps hit 30'c.

Can someone give me a clear picture of what I can do to cool the GPU heat sink apart from replacing the contact cement with arctic silver? I need clear info to give the person who will build my system. I'll be using an Antec fusion 430, scythe shuriken.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Can some of you take pics of the insides of your case and post; espeically those with mATX low profile cases.. I want to get some Ideas for cooling this rig.