*Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster5k View Post

Anyone here manage to get a Shuriken to fit? I had some difficulty and used the stock heatsink instead. It seems like one of the heat pipes is just touching the chipset heatsink.

No problem, except that it is slightly difficult to reach the push pins due to the design and onborad components. No issue with the heatpipes and chipset heatsink. Can't even remember them being that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

I have a Asus p5n7a mb and a 7.1 surround system. When I playback 8 channel audio, the rear and surround channels are reversed. This is on both a hk 354 and denon 988 receiver via hdmi. Using 1.0.47 of the Nvidia hdmi driver and Vista 32.

8 channel test file: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...8/8Channel.exe

Wondering if you gigibyte guys have the same issue...

Link is garbled. Fix please ;-) Second, where did you get the HDMI driver? I can't seem to find it on the nVidia site and the Gigabyte site is not up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

... NVIDIA System Tools.

Thanx, was looking for something besides Speedfan too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeLes View Post

What is u bord connect to? tv or monitor?

I'am connected through a Oppo HDMI switcher which is connected to my 52" Toshiba DLP TV HDMI input. I use PowerDVD 8 Ultra, PowerDVD 7.3 (for HD-DVD's, etc.) Anydvd HD, IMEDIAN software for use with the Antec VFD and Internal IR receiver, using Vista Ultimate 64, 8GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 RAM, E8400. I've loaded the all of the Gigabyte drivers and most of the software. I did not load DES as I heard that some were having problems of some sort with it. RAID 5 at 1.81TB using 3 1TB Seagate drives.

Listing the software in case there is something known that could be causing this. I tried several times last night to get the bios to display on the TV but it's completely blank during loading until the Windows Vista logo comes up. When I had to wipe the drive clean and reload Vista, etc. the bios is there. It's there after loading Vista and the Gigabyte drivers but from there I'm not sure what changes or which program it is that I load causes the bios to not be displayed. Will I need to connect a separate monitor to the VGA output to see the bios again? Is there anything else that I can try?

I was trying to find a cheap small (7"-10") VGA LCD but I couldn't find any cheap (less than $100) monitors to use as a spare. I'd like to have this so I didn't always need to turn on the big screen and waste bulb life when I just wanted to check something. Watching ebay for something. Maybe this might solve my problem too?

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #183 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus_1250 View Post

Link is garbled. Fix please ;-) Second, where did you get the HDMI driver? I can't seem to find it on the nVidia site and the Gigabyte site is not up to date.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...8/8Channel.exe

try this one

I got the driver from the Nvidia site via a link someone provided in the, although it looks like I made a mistake, it's only at v.37: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...1.00.0.37.html
post #184 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rback View Post

Hi,

I'm considering getting this board for a new HTPC build. I have 2 AverMedia PCI-E 1x combo TV tuner cards I'd like to put in. Obviously, I can use the 1x slot for one of these cards. But can I use the PCI-E x16 slot for my other 1x card?

If I do put in a card in the PCI-E x16 slot, will I still be able to use the onboard graphics to send audio/video out via HDMI? I remember reading with some other boards (G45?) that if you put something in the PCI-E x16 slot, it will disable the onboard graphics. So I was wondering whether this NVidia based board has this same issue.

No problem. NVIDIA and AMD chipsets do not have that stupid limitation of Intel's.
post #185 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by renethx
... NVIDIA System Tools.

not working with 9400 here...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #186 of 2839 Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed75 View Post

I'am connected through a Oppo HDMI switcher which is connected to my 52" Toshiba DLP TV HDMI input. I use PowerDVD 8 Ultra, PowerDVD 7.3 (for HD-DVD's, etc.) Anydvd HD, IMEDIAN software for use with the Antec VFD and Internal IR receiver, using Vista Ultimate 64, 8GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 RAM, E8400. I've loaded the all of the Gigabyte drivers and most of the software. I did not load DES as I heard that some were having problems of some sort with it. RAID 5 at 1.81TB using 3 1TB Seagate drives.

Listing the software in case there is something known that could be causing this. I tried several times last night to get the bios to display on the TV but it's completely blank during loading until the Windows Vista logo comes up. When I had to wipe the drive clean and reload Vista, etc. the bios is there. It's there after loading Vista and the Gigabyte drivers but from there I'm not sure what changes or which program it is that I load causes the bios to not be displayed. Will I need to connect a separate monitor to the VGA output to see the bios again? Is there anything else that I can try?

I was trying to find a cheap small (7"-10") VGA LCD but I couldn't find any cheap (less than $100) monitors to use as a spare. I'd like to have this so I didn't always need to turn on the big screen and waste bulb life when I just wanted to check something. Watching ebay for something. Maybe this might solve my problem too?

Ok so, dose u tv have like an HD and a pc funktion?
Im using an old DVI but, it shuld be the same picture.
In my case i have to install vista setting my tv on pc mode and when im all done and windows is up and running i change my res to 1280x720.
The pc funktion can't see that res so i change my tv to the HD option and now i got a picture but in windows only. cant see any loads or boot up till then. not even if i switch it back to pc unless if i change the res to any thing than a HD res. After u install windows, do u change U res? if so, try not for a while. Just to see if thats the problem. U can also try differnt cabels from mobo to screen if u tv have that option.
post #187 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreibers View Post

I always thought that was a weird way to do it when I put together my S16VB. I just installed this board last weekend and it runs fantastic. I did swap the passive northbridge heat sink for a Thermalright HR-05/IFX before installed (passive no fan).

My only complaint is the location and number of fan headers (2) and that it seems the CPU socket is closer on this board to the I/O panel than on my old Asus P5K Deluxe. The rear exhaust fans got in the way of the bracing on my Thermalright SI-128 SE cooler. This could just be a mATX spec thing (i've never owned one before). I took the fans out for now and haven't had any temp issues. Down the road I may get slimmer ones or just mount them outside to alleviate the issue.

Why the 2 legacy PCI slots? Limitations with the chipset? I would have loved another PCI Express or even better another 4-8x slot but oh well.

Hmm how does the Thermalright HR-05/IFX fit with your CPU cooler (What cpu coller do you use?) and with what CPU ?
How hot does the chipset get? I really want this to be almost silent
post #188 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 AM

Hi ! After la lot of time spent in comparisons I was just about to buy a HTPC composed as follow :
* Motherboard Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (NVIDIA GeForce 9400) - Micro ATX
* Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 - Dual Core ! Socket 775 FSB1333
* Case Antec Micro Fusion Remote 350
* . . .

My concern is about temperatures. I can read very different things. Even in the begining of this thread. renethx has correct values, some other people have very high temp using 3D functions (games ...).
In this very interesting article (in French sorry but I think it's understandable) they obtain 90°C on northbridge. Asus P5N7A-VM is a little less hot, 85°C

w w w .homemedia.fr/tests-guides/150-Comparatif-de-cartes-meres-GeForce-9300-9400-7.html

It's a problem for me, I wish to have a silent PC so I would like to avoid big cooler.
Any advice on this point ? Any information would be appreciated ...
post #189 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

The test setup seems to be:

- Zalman HD160 Plus
- Noctua 80mm fan connected to the 5V line (this is the only case fan.)
- Noctua NH-U9B (?) 92mm fan CPU cooler connected to the 5V line

So the ventilation is pretty bad, resulting in a very high GPU temperature of 90°C at 3D. I did another test with:

- Antec NSK2480
- Scythe Ninja Mini (fanless)
- 2 x 120mm exhaust fans at low speed

(In the previous test I used the stock cooler.) I got

- NB heatsink temperature: 48°C
- GPU temperature: 60°C
- CPU temperature: 35°C (at CPU test)

when running 3DMark Vantage. The conclusion is clear (to me): Good ventilation is crucial.
post #190 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks renethx for your feed back. I agree with you, everyting depends of the air flow I think. Since the case I plan to buy (Antec 350) is low profile I'm worried about that. I plan to buy an efficient CPU cooler (Noctua NH-C12P) that can ensure a good air flow on the whole motherboard (CPU+chipset) but it's difficult to ensure a good cooling in low profile cases And I have to check that it fits on this motherboard, Noctua's site said nothing about that.
I'm not sure to need a so powerfull platform but I like to run time to time some "old" games (2 ou 3 years) so a nice graphic card is important for me. I could wait a little to have a "v1.1" layout but I'd like to have a new machine soon (for christmas for example )
post #191 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

It's working elegantly in my system.

LL
post #192 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-Blueberry View Post

Thanks renethx for your feed back. I agree with you, everyting depends of the air flow I think. Since the case I plan to buy (Antec 350) is low profile I'm worried about that. I plan to buy an efficient CPU cooler (Noctua NH-C12P) that can ensure a good air flow on the whole motherboard (CPU+chipset) but it's difficult to ensure a good cooling in low profile cases And I have to check that it fits on this motherboard, Noctua's site said nothing about that.
I'm not sure to need a so powerfull platform but I like to run time to time some "old" games (2 ou 3 years) so a nice graphic card is important for me. I could wait a little to have a "v1.1" layout but I'd like to have a new machine soon (for christmas for example )

IMO a side-flow CPU cooler is not a good choice. You'd better choose a top-flow cooler such as Zalman CNPS8700 LED (its hight is only 67mm; the Zalman website gives detailed requirements of compatibility) that ensures cooling both CPU and GPU effectively.
post #193 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Noctua NH-C12P IS a top flow cooler ! NH-Cxxx series are horizontal, NH-Uxxx are vertical. I will consider also Zalman because they are usually efficient. I got one actually that is a little bit noisy now but after 3 years, it's acceptable ...
post #194 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #195 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Considering Noctua NH-C12P vs Zalman CNPS8700 LED, I'm a lit bit desapointed by Zalman reading datasheet :

speed range :900rpm-1300rpm (N) - 1150rpm-2300rpm (Z)
noise :12.6db / 19.6db (N) - 17.5db / 33db (Z)
fan :120 mm (N) - 110 mm (Z)
weight :730 g(N) - 475 g (Z)

Reading this, Noctua seems to be less noisy (because of lower rotation speed) and so more attractive for a same price. But there is no information about air pressure that is perhaps the most important factor ...

Sorry, I'm perhaps a little bit OT
post #196 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeLes View Post

Ok so, does u TV have like an HD and a PC function?
I'm using an old DVI but, it should be the same picture.
In my case i have to install vista setting my TV on PC mode and when im all done and windows is up and running i change my res to 1280x720.
The pc function can't see that res so i change my TV to the HD option and now i got a picture but in windows only. cant see any loads or boot up till then. not even if i switch it back to PC unless if i change the res to any thing than a HD res. After u install windows, do u change U res? if so, try not for a while. Just to see if that's the problem. U can also try different cables from mobo to screen if u TV have that option.

My Toshiba DLP TV only has one HDMI input. No PC mode or VGA input. Maybe I could try to change the TV's resolution but the TV works fine showing the bios in the beginning without changing any TV settings. I loose the ability to see the bios after loading one of the programs somewhere along the line but I'm not sure which one. After loading Vista 64 and the Gigabyte driver package I can still see the bios during boot up so it's somewhere else along the line where I loose the bios on the screen.

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #197 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM

I am collecting parts to build one of these great systems but not sure which Vista version to get.
32 or 64?
post #198 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Same here Jim.

They install and do provide some values but not all. Also, the GPU temp stays at whatever is reported when you first fire up the tool (never changes). However, Speenfan values change in realtime (including GPU).

It's interesting that they're not available from the Driver Download section of the NVIDIA site if you select nforce>730i>software. I suspect they're not supported yet.

It's interesting that Ren has them working

@ Renethx,

Are you running 6.03?

Thanks,

Wo0zy
post #199 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvhk View Post

Though not having any crash nor reboot issue, i have mounted a third party heatsink for northbridge cause it's damned hot on touch.

What CPU cooler are you using? and what CPU do you use?
Would like to compare notes
post #200 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's an OCZ cpu cooler, not sure what model. But I'm guessing the Vendetta with 92mm fan. Looks like the 120mm Vendetta 2 or Gladiator Max will even fit in his case.

That might even fit my Gigabyte G-Power II Pro
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...wer%20II%20Pro
post #201 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM

OCZ vendetta 1 using bolt thru kit instead intel push pins!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...7488copier.jpg
post #202 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The test setup seems to be:

- Zalman HD160 Plus
- Noctua 80mm fan connected to the 5V line (this is the only case fan.)
- Noctua NH-U9B (?) 92mm fan CPU cooler connected to the 5V line

So the ventilation is pretty bad, resulting in a very high GPU temperature of 90°C at 3D. I did another test with:

- Antec NSK2480
- Scythe Ninja Mini (fanless)
- 2 x 120mm exhaust fans at low speed

(In the previous test I used the stock cooler.) I got

- NB heatsink temperature: 48°C
- GPU temperature: 60°C
- CPU temperature: 35°C (at CPU test)

when running 3DMark Vantage. The conclusion is clear (to me): Good ventilation is crucial.

Nice summary. I wish some of the idiots on the P5N7A thread would realize this.
post #203 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

OCZ vendetta 1 using bolt thru kit instead intel push pins!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...7488copier.jpg

Looks impressive...is that one better than the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
so many are talking about?

Looks like I will have to get a chipset cooler also...to make sure it stays cool!
post #204 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 AM

the OCZ vendetta is excellent but does not outperform the TRUE which i use on another matx board (DFI JR P45 w/ e8600@4.5Ghz).
post #205 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

the OCZ vendetta is excellent but does not outperform the TRUE which i use on another matx board (DFI JR P45 w/ e8600@4.5Ghz).

TRUE = Thermal Right Ultra ?
post #206 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM

ThermalRight Ultra Extreme aka TRUE...
post #207 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 PM

I am very interested in this board. Is Optical Active at the same time as HDMI audio?

I am using my htpc on two TV's through a matrix switch. One has a denon receiver without HDMI which I use an optical audio connection and the other TV is just connected through HDMI.

Thanks,

Chris
post #208 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM

I have DENON 2307 receiver, Vista 32, .37 HDMI driver and can not get 5.1 96 khz LPCM (FLAC).
The receiver shows 48 khz! I use MPC HC + madFlac.
Does Nvidia Hdmi driver down convert 96 -> 48 khz?
post #209 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone using a PCIe 1X NIC card with this MOBO?

I just got my board today and my Intel Pro Gigabit NIC doesn't work. No lights come on in standby or once windows has loaded. Windows Device Manager doesn't even show the card as being in the system.

I initially tried with the built in LAN disabled in the BIOS and my NIC didn't work... and even with the onboard LAN enabled my NIC doesn't work. Although, the built in LAN works fine if I enable it in the BIOS and load windows.

The NIC has worked fine for the last year and I tested it in a different PC to make sure it works there... and it did. So there's something with this board not wanting to work with my NIC.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone else was having any problems.

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
post #210 of 2839 Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

Is anyone using a PCIe 1X NIC card with this MOBO?

I just got my board today and my Intel Pro Gigabit NIC doesn't work. No lights come on in standby or once windows has loaded. Windows Device Manager doesn't even show the card as being in the system.

I initially tried with the built in LAN disabled in the BIOS and my NIC didn't work... and even with the onboard LAN enabled my NIC doesn't work. Although, the built in LAN works fine if I enable it in the BIOS and load windows.

The NIC has worked fine for the last year and I tested it in a different PC to make sure it works there... and it did. So there's something with this board not wanting to work with my NIC.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone else was having any problems.

No problems with mine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page